test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[BUG] Ships Dark Hull, too bright in 5-8 systems; Dark becomes White?

strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
edited July 2021 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Someone needs to turn the effect that is causing some systems, to incorrectly light several Ship's Hulls.

In Quonos System, my Klingon Ship with a Material 4 (Dark Hull) Illuminates perfectly as it should, it shows the reflection, but doesn't appear to change Hull color, to something you'd not expect.

Still in the Risa System, or several others in Missions, from the list below where it's most noticeable. Fixing just though 5-6 likely identify why it's happening. Either someone changed the brightness of the Star a bit too high in some systems, or something else is going on cause it seems like a Vanity Shield or Effect is happening, or some other Space Set Visual that is not there.
  1. Risian System in System Space ships Hulls too bright on several Materials that supposed to be dark.
  2. Earth System in Mission - Midnight - Iconian ARC.
  3. Frozen Mission - Romulan Mystery ARC.
  4. Vorgon Conclusions - First System the Klingon Material 4 (Dark) appears bright grey, in second system dark again (though no Star), then white again in 3rd visiting Sol again bright grey, yet on warp out of the system the Hull appears fine?
  5. Survivor also in Yesterday's War Arc.
  6. Echoes of Light has some strange Hull effects, when you get near the Gekli, and 1 other system. The last system Hulls look amazing!
  7. 1-2 Borg TFO's have some Darker Hulls, appearing more Grey or White as well.

Seems this started possible a few weeks ago weeks just before the Summer Event started in 2020, and may need QA/Bug team to investigate!

I suspect there are a few other systems, or maps (but those above are the ones that really stand out) like somebody turned up the Lighting far too much in System Space from the Star; or some strange Vanity or Ship Space Set Visual is enabled where it's not.

The Sol System at ESD seems mostly fine, yet the Sol System in Midnight mission is completely different?

@ambassadorkael#6946

UPDATE:
    Say when doing the Midnight in Iconian ARC, when entering the Sol System, the Iconian Ships that normally look Dark, yet still very visible with their purple accents; now in they appear mostly White, and my Klingon Ship with Type 4 Material that's Dark appears bright grey or even white as well. It's not just Klingon ships, but also some Fed, Romulan, or Alien Ships as well that experience this color change of their Hull.
0zxlclk.png
Post edited by strathkin on

Comments

• strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2021
    See update made above. :o

Now the images to show what I mean: This similar effect in Risian System Space, and Sol System in Midnight Mission after you have the World Heart.

SPACE
    DRdhHIE.png
    GZDCi7L.png

GROUND in Midnight Mission, slightly odd brightness I'd FOCUS on the 5 space systems in first post.
    rfZNQnE.png
    YznVyvZ.png

@ambassadorkael#6946
    0zxlclk.png
    Found another System added above.
    0zxlclk.png
    Another System added to 4.
    0zxlclk.png
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    The weird thing is that, in the Risa system for example, my Alita with Section 31 vanity shield will look like it has the Platinum vanity shield active.

Then, when pressing U to get the character overview screen, it actually turns to the dark grey that is supposed to be shown.

So colours are shown correctly as long as you have a screen opened, like the character overview one.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    edited March 2021
    Yea I too also noticed that, when you hit U this ship shown is far darker, yet while in some System Space appears far more grey, and in some extreme cases almost white. :'(

Quonos - The One Exception - where it display nice!
    For some reason my Klingon Ship with Material 4, does not have the unusual lighting or hull effects in the Quonos System. To me this looks very nice, despite the darker Hull.

4KO5noH.png

Contrast to Risa shown above, this I think is horrible (below)...
    AhVGYMj.png

But yet in several other systems, and the list is growing, it looks like my ship has a Vanity Shield equipped that isn't, as best as I can explain now.

@ambassadorkael#6946
    0zxlclk.png
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,933 Arc User
    There are many systems where ships appear to have a thick layer of dust over their hulls.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1253530/vanity-shields-the-open-closed-character-sheet

It seems to happen regardless of the equipped shield visual.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
    edited September 2020
    Yea, it's just no Vanity Shield is enabled, and the Hulls as you say, appear just covered in Dust or Corrosion! :'(

This is Sol System going into the Midnight Mission.
    hbyeTGS.png

Cause Black even when Light is applied, should look as it does in Quonos above!
    0zxlclk.png
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    So, is this ever going to be fixed?

It's kind of stupid that you're releasing ridiculously expensive items and sell all sorts of special effects for ship when they don't work.

When people buy a vanity shield that's currently well over 100m EC, it should work properly.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    edited January 2021
    Yea, I don't think this is fixed.

I'll try to send another direct mail to the Community Ambassador--though I try real hard to use it sparingly.

Hopefully he can read &/or have this flagged by his team. I just tested it again today, and Several Iconian Ships fighting in foreground appear white, while those in background appear dark at least in the Mission Midnight. As I noted above it also appears in the Risa System. Though I identified a few other KEY systems it occurs, where I've noticed it also in System Space. The only place I've caught it on a ground map was in Iconia in Midnight.

Hopefully like is often the case, often once they identify the cause, that also helps identify where/why it is occurring; and sometimes helps resolve other unidentified area's.

@ambassadorkael#6946
    @crypticspartan#0627
    0zxlclk.png
    edited March 2021
    Here's another Ship comparison that applies to the systems shown in the first original post; what's always consistent is ships appear far more white than they should, and some ship material seems to change.

0eICILv.png
    0zxlclk.png
    Also noticed recently in a few more TFO's the darker Hulls (Klingon: Material 4) are appearing more Grey in even Azure Nebulae, or Infected: The Conduit.

*sigh* I can only REPORT it, sadly I can't fix. :'(
    0zxlclk.png
    edited March 2021
    I added Echoes of Light as a 6th System, not the first where you see the Ferengi, but where you see the Gekli.

A few Borg TFO's also display darker Hulls being more Grey or White as well...

jYp0cNl.png
    0zxlclk.png
    Just a reminder a year later, as some pointed out in the most recent Stream. Risa System Sector and a few others in missions systems still have an ODD coloring to how Ship's Hull's look in space.
    0zxlclk.png