test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ships of the new Series

trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
I don't know if its just me but I think with the design process of ships seen in discovery that there needs to be a way to communicate to CBS that they need to let Cryptic artists have some kind of control or aspect of how they look. I mean the Klingon discovery ships look horrible but go taking a look at any Klingon ships that fit the Klingon theme that are Cryptic specifically made they look way better than anything they are coming out with. Just my 2 cents because these carriers look great and make all those ships in discovery and picard look like trash.

Comments

• Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    The Discovery Klingon designs might not be *classic*, but like the Federation counterparts they serve as a good bridge between a predecessor and successor era. Hur'q aesthetics can be seen in some of the Klingon designs, for example.
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Fed ships have a pretty straightforward design philosophy so hard to mess with them too much if you still want them to look Fed-ish. Obviously they thought the movie/TNG Klingons looked too 'made for TV' and wanted more alien-ness. Same thing with the old Wing Commander movie. The Kilrathi in the game were cat aliens. In the movie they were your more generic scary movie alien. Fans didn't approve. "All the Kilrathi have mange and lost their hair!" :D And I still think there was a toy marketing reason for all the changes for ships in Discovery too. I mean why take on an established IP and change a bunch of stuff? For 'artistic reasons'? ha ha. If you really wanted to be 'artistic' go make up your own IP where you'd have 100% artistic freedom to make up stuff.

And I agree, Cryptic ship artists seem to respect the Trek ship design language when designing ships (for the most part) w/ respect to the established races. Especially when they have 1-2 canon ships to base an entire race's fleet off of. :D
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Cryptic really does a great job with their ship designs. I might personally not like all of them, but they are spot on and fit in. In contrast, DSC trued to be a visual departure for no real good reason. It is tradition to have every show stick out a bit, but I personally would have done it very differently.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mrlostsoul#1950 mrlostsoul Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Crypt designs tend to respect Star Trek canon on the whole. Which makes them so good. But their alien ships need allot of work. Recently, we had the Summer games, and you got to win the Risa weather ship. That was butt uuggglll.... unappealing. It looked like a flying bug with a female body part for a face..... Auh.. deflector array.

The ironic part of most alien ships on STO, they look much better when you flip them up side down, and turn them around. lol I'm sorry Dev, you guys are REALLY GREAT, but your original alien star ships need work. Which is ok, because Star Trek series alien ships were not so great like in STNG, they kept recycling the same generic star ships sometimes.

You know what alien ships need, and will make STO allot more fun, if alien star ships had loads of customization. Usually, they have none. Fed star ships have a few customization, and I love them. Whenever I get a new ship, I go straight to customizing them. I always use Borg visuals to really stand out.
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    It would just go a long way if for example like discovery klingon ships where Cryptic could be per say be able to come up with their own variants to make them look better. Kind of like the BoP from discovery feels like it needs a sledge hammer to flatten it some then it might look like a BoP.