test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How do we tell in-game if an event is active or upcoming or about to end? Seems impossible now

pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
There doesn't appear to be any indication while in game when events are active. Normally in game I can see how many hours before it starts and hours before it ends which is really useful more so for dill, XP, upgrade style events. The rubbish splash screen which I hated from day 1 and still dislike today is useless still going on about the Mycelial Realm. Then I went onto the overview page which says upcoming events (blank) which is clearly incorrect.

Was any reason given why all this useful information was removed? That is no information about the Red Angel event in game which seems crazy to me. No other MMO that I can think off would run events with no indication in game about if the event is live or inactive or even upcoming later today. How would I tell if say the upgrade bonus is active? How can I see how many hours are left before it stops working?

What on earth is the reasoning to make life more difficult for players yet again? I even alt tabbed out of game, scrolled back looking for the blog which is already over 10 items from the top and moving further down by the day and that doesn't even tell me at what point today the event starts or ends.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    What on earth is the reasoning to make life more difficult for players yet again?

Just cuz.
  • kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    I mean, you could always just check the mostly-accurate in-game calenda.....

Oh, right.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    HOW DO WE TELL IN-GAME IF AN EVENT IS ACTIVE OR UPCOMING OR ABOUT TO END? SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE NOW

Step 1: open your eyes

Step 2: see if you can find the weekend/month long event information in these 2 pictures

cZlF65H.jpg

YKV7Cih.jpg

I mean, WTH are you actually complaining about?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    HOW DO WE TELL IN-GAME IF AN EVENT IS ACTIVE OR UPCOMING OR ABOUT TO END? SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE NOW

Step 2: see if you can find the weekend/month long event information in these 2 pictures

cZlF65H.jpg

YKV7Cih.jpg

I do believe he means forewarning. We used to be able to check the calendar and see what events were starting when and usually when they ended for the month. Now, it's the day before patch notice, and word of mouth via the players.

Which I'd check the calendar to see what was coming up. Had a friend of mine not linked info about the red angel patch in our discord channel. I never would have known about it, until it actually patched, because the in-game calendar is no more.

As for the active events, yeah, the events tab and landing annoyance will tell you. Might catch it on the launcher as well.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User

As I stated in my first post when I went on that page on the 30th the same day as the event was due to start it was blank as well as the landing splash page which only mentioned the old Mycelial Realm. There was zero in game warning about the Red Angle Event until after it started, showing the event after it has started is way too late. Due to this I missed the first day despite playing twice on the 30th.

The Bonus day was also blank. Not displaying it until 7 days before or less it too short a timeframe.

"I mean, WTH are you actually complaining about?"
    That on the 30th when I made my post there was no way to view upcoming events in game and plan to be around for them or even work out what point in the day the main event starts. There was no problem in the old system where you could plan months in advance while the new version seems to be flawed not telling you sometimes till after the event has already started or sometimes a few days before.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    there was no way to view upcoming events in game and plan to be around for them or even work out what point in the day the main event starts.

Not that I agree with Cryptic's tactics, but that's kinda the point though. They don't want you to "plan around" events. They want you to log in "now." Because every time you log in is just another chance that you'll spend money on some zen. Having a calendar, functioning or not, allows you an easier opportunity to decide which days you can skip playing.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    there was no way to view upcoming events in game and plan to be around for them or even work out what point in the day the main event starts.

Not that I agree with Cryptic's tactics, but that's kinda the point though. They don't want you to "plan around" events. They want you to log in "now." Because every time you log in is just another chance that you'll spend money on some zen. Having a calendar, functioning or not, allows you an easier opportunity to decide which days you can skip playing.

It's not a very good tactic. I'll login, check things, do my two main's doff/adm, and if there's nothing going on, I log back out. Of course I also try to check the forums for info. The less info, the less likely it is most will bother logging in to find out whats going on.

The calendar was the planner for most, yes. That's because Cryptic doesn't give a launch date for much of anything, until the day before it's in-game. Most games give you a week, or two, notice as to when somethings going to appear in-game. It just wasn't a very good decision for player retention.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »

It's not a very good tactic. I'll login, check things, do my two main's doff/adm, and if there's nothing going on, I log back out. Of course I also try to check the forums for info. The less info, the less likely it is most will bother logging in to find out whats going on.

The calendar was the planner for most, yes. That's because Cryptic doesn't give a launch date for much of anything, until the day before it's in-game. Most games give you a week, or two, notice as to when somethings going to appear in-game. It just wasn't a very good decision for player retention.

Honestly this one right here and most MMO tries to get better at communicating and doing it earlier. Cryptic and STO are the only one I know of that seems to habitually aim for getting worse and telling you later, with the result that more and more players eff off because we have plans elsewhere.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
This discussion has been closed.