test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

quick and probably stupid question

nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
Torpedoes are kinetic damage and are mitigated by shields. the Voice of the prophets is PHYSICAL damage. is it also mitigated by shields?
u7acy6aymfw7.gif
We Need BERETS in the tailor

Comments

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    I don't think Voice of the Prophets has the same damage reduction that torps end up having. For some reason, Kinetic and Physical aren't considered the same thing to the game, and have different resist categories.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    I believe physical damage bypasses shields.

Oh, and there are no stupid questions :)
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I couldn't resit.

t8cekx4b3la21.jpg
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Thanks for the chuckle, rattler :D
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    You're welcome. :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    I believe physical damage bypasses shields.

Oh, and there are no stupid questions :)

That might be only for ground, as I'm not seeing shield pen listed on the VotP weapon.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,714 Community Moderator
    95% certain physical bypasses shields as well. As to why physical and kinetic are different damage sources in game think of what each one is. Kinetic damage implies an object has been accelerated and that kinetic energy is what is dealing the damage. Physical damage effects the actual physical form of an object.

As an example a torpedo does damage by hitting the hull really hard via kinetic energy delivery. A physical effect would be something like Destabilizing Resonance Beam that resonates the physical hull of the ship and vibrates it to deal damage. While the end resulting destruction is the same, how that destruction is achieved is different.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I couldn't resit.

t8cekx4b3la21.jpg

according to the official sandwich alignment chart...a hotdog is neutral

Sandwich-alignment-chart-720x495.jpg​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    Okay, but why does Sailor Moon's transformation paint her fingernails and then give her gloves?
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »
    For some reason, Kinetic and Physical aren't considered the same thing to the game, and have different resist categories.

That's because they are not the same in RL either.

To visualize: kinetic is like punching a flat sheet of paper, while physical is like tearing a flat sheet of paper.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • darpendragondarpendragon Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I couldn't resit.

t8cekx4b3la21.jpg

according to the official sandwich alignment chart...a hotdog is neutral

I know this does not pertain to STO or Star Trek in general, but I want to introduce you to "A Hotdog is a Sandwich" podcast
    https://www.iheart.com/podcast/274-a-hot-dog-is-a-sandwich-58675308/
  • excorticate#6772 excorticate Member Posts: 1 New User
    Physical bypasses shields as far as I have known.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,714 Community Moderator
    going a good ways off course here folks, and since the question has been answered /closed
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.