test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is the purpose of Sector Space, again?

Most missions that have a place in story progression give us the option to just transwarp straight there, eliminate the need to actually travel through sector space if we don't want to. We can, quite literally, jump to any mission start point in the galaxy instantaneously. And you know, that is consistent with what we have seen in every single Trek show or movie to date. They determine the mission, set course, and just GO. There's a brief cut to the ship going to warp and then the next scene shows them arriving at their destination... or just beaming down to some planetary location or another ship...

We used to have to actually travel to those locations physically in sector space, which at one point meant having to load into a bunch of different sector blocks, but when they merged those blocks into much larger sector space maps, load frequency decreased. And yet, for the purpose of mission content, we now no longer even have to physically travel from point A to B on the sector space map at all...

So... like the title says, what is the purpose of Sector Space, again?
When it comes to MMOs, I wear prescription glasses. Whether or not they are rose-tinted is beside the point.

Comments

• keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 1,941 Arc User
    back in the day, one could only TW to different quads. and that was after some time. so yes, sec space has become somewhat useless given the ability to TW to the mission starting point.
    they also forced users to fly sec space, if you recall, and would get sucked into the instances. that was a huge dislike by many people.
    so, given the details, id say its just a game mechanic now that they wont alter nor remove, much like many other things in this game.
    meh

• colonelmarikcolonelmarik Member Posts: 1,841 Arc User
    Sector Space is an elaborate lobby. This is one of the reasons I've often said this game isn't an MMO, there's no persistent, active WORLD.

I've often suggested making some USE of sector space, by having random encounters appear at random locations. They could be exploration missions, rescue missions, storms to navigate, and what have you. But, I'm always ignored.
    Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 3,936 Arc User
    for me it gives a nice feel to the world - an impression of space. I prefer to keep it.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,533 Arc User
    I agree with Sheldon. The only time I TW to my mission start is when it's not in the quadrant I'm in. If it is, then I just Auto-Navigate to it.
    Now a LTS and loving it.

Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.

xp8s7wd.jpg
  • sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 2,338 Arc User
    back in the day, one could only TW to different quads. and that was after some time. so yes, sec space has become somewhat useless given the ability to TW to the mission starting point.
    they also forced users to fly sec space, if you recall, and would get sucked into the instances. that was a huge dislike by many people.
    so, given the details, id say its just a game mechanic now that they wont alter nor remove, much like many other things in this game.

That's the vibe I get.
    Sector Space is an elaborate lobby. This is one of the reasons I've often said this game isn't an MMO, there's no persistent, active WORLD.

Technically, a game can be defined as an MMO if it allows a massive number of players to be logged in to the server at once. It need not require actually sharing the same world map at the same time. Clearly that is the minimalist definition of the term which Cryptic has adopted for STO. And there is nothing wrong with that.
    I've often suggested making some USE of sector space, by having random encounters appear at random locations. They could be exploration missions, rescue missions, storms to navigate, and what have you. But, I'm always ignored.

In the beginning, there were encounters that we could get pulled into. As keepcalmchiveon pointed out above, they were not popular among the majority. I think those encounters would have been better suited for exploration clusters. They could have put some data sample anomalies in the encounter instance. Some on the outskirts, and some within the combat zone. Want all of them, you'll need to fight for some. But those encounters... And exploration clusters... Are long gone...
    for me it gives a nice feel to the world - an impression of space. I prefer to keep it.

That's completely fair. However, I do submit that based on the game as it is now, compared to what it was in the beginning, that the original purpose sector space was mechanically intended to serve is no longer relevant. With the ability to transwarp directly to a mission startpoint does not nullify the preference for some to take the long way and fly their ship there in sector space... And the preference of some to fly in sector space does not invalidate the preference of others to just transwarp there...

Player preference is a good thing.

Having said that, if the ability to immediately jump to a location can be made available at the click of a button, then it could also be made available by simply choosing a dialogue option, either initiated through a pop-up dialogue at the completion of a mission... Or by talking to a helmsman NPC on the bridgr of a ship, either one being visited as part of a mission scenario... Or one's own ship... It can be as much of a plot tool as it already is a button of convenience... And it doesn't really matter what form of interaction triggers it, or where the player physically is located in the game...
    When it comes to MMOs, I wear prescription glasses. Whether or not they are rose-tinted is beside the point.
    echatty wrote: »
    I agree with Sheldon. The only time I TW to my mission start is when it's not in the quadrant I'm in. If it is, then I just Auto-Navigate to it.

And that's perfectly fine. Does it bother you that others may choose to TW directly there, even if in the same quadrant?
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,568 Arc User
    Sector space isn't hurting anything. Ever since it was made into quadrants instead of sector blocks, it's been a breeze.

There are some small things there. The random-location encounters, crafting material spots (nebula, abandoned ship), doff spots, etc.

I think you'd have more people complaining if there wasn't a sector space in a game where you travel the stars. There's not much to it, but it's so easy to skip it with transwarp if you want to. I kinda view it as a cosmetic feature at this point, and it's pretty :blush:
    IQ5QBRg.png
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Sector space isn't hurting anything. Ever since it was made into quadrants instead of sector blocks, it's been a breeze.

There are some small things there. The random-location encounters, crafting material spots (nebula, abandoned ship), doff spots, etc.

I think you'd have more people complaining if there wasn't a sector space in a game where you travel the stars. There's not much to it, but it's so easy to skip it with transwarp if you want to. I kinda view it as a cosmetic feature at this point, and it's pretty :blush:

Not suggesting Sector Space needs to go away. Just pointing out that, unlike it was in the beginning, it is no longer REQUIRED to get from one point to another in the game. It presents an option for immersion for those who want to actually take the time to use it. Just as TW is an option for those who simply wish to just get on with mission content...

Options like this are good for the game, as neither really alienates anyone.
  • revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    Sector Space is where we get DOff missions . . . When it works properly
    Sector Space is where we get DOff missions . . . When it works properly

You can get DOff missions from wherever they've got DOff missions turned on. In sector space, there are just more of them at any given time, filtered by sector... Ever notice how at the border of each sector, there is a tiny sliver of space that gives you access to every single DOff mission in the quadrant? That's because when they put the trigger box in that filters the assignments for a specific sector, they left a gap. It's a sign of sloppy design because they failed to check the entire volume of the trigger box to make sure all sector-based regions were uniformly designed, not overlapping or leaving gaps... If they did, then you would never see any DOff assignments that were not unique to or defined as valid for the sector.

IF they wanted to, they could make it where DOff assignments for the entire beta quadrant come up from inside the admiral's office on ESD. They could, if they wanted to, do like they do with beaming out from Starfleet Academy... Imagine a hypothetical scenario where you are in orbital space over Earth, and you can command the helm to Set a course for Vulcan, maximum warp. The dialogue from the helmsman would say course and speed laid in. Next dialogue could be Engage or Disregard. Engasge would cause the ship to warp out... Then the orbital space map of Vulcan would load, and then we would see the ship drop out of warp.

This dialogue could be achieved by clicking a Helm button that would appear at the side of the screen while in a space map... OR by clicking a Helm button on the side of the screen while standing on the bridge of one's ship. Where and when doesn't matter for the dialogue option any more than where or when the transwarp button is available.

It all comes down to the context of when and where they choose to give us options that trigger an area transition... And we have seen this sort of thing used in missions. They can make any dialogue option trigger pretty much anything.
  • furyofthefugafuryofthefuga Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    Yup, as someone who came back after 7 years, I was noticing this as well.

Top speeds in sector space used to be slower, too.

is this the norm? i have been trying to fogure out how to locate maybe just mats with a few bad guys, vs the alerts with no mats.
    its been a long time since i have ventured into anything within sec space due in large part from the past issues of being sucked into stuff.
    meh

Complete endeavors, my boxes have been filled with mats for the most part.
    Now a LTS and loving it.

Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.

xp8s7wd.jpg
    echatty wrote: »
    Complete endeavors, my boxes have been filled with mats for the most part.

oh yeah. every chance i get. good source of em for sure.
    meh

• chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,568 Arc User

is this the norm? i have been trying to fogure out how to locate maybe just mats with a few bad guys, vs the alerts with no mats.
    its been a long time since i have ventured into anything within sec space due in large part from the past issues of being sucked into stuff.
    Yeah absolutely! If you fly around sector space, keep your eye open for "Unknown Nebula" or "Abandoned Ship" blips. They're randomly located, and you just scan them like normal R&D nodes.

You have to be fairly close to them for them to show up.
    IQ5QBRg.png

Yeah absolutely! If you fly around sector space, keep your eye open for "Unknown Nebula" or "Abandoned Ship" blips. They're randomly located, and you just scan them like normal R&D nodes.

Also Comets. There's comets out there too. Nebulas give you ordinary mats, Abandoned ships and comets give you uncommon/rare mats.
    Now a LTS and loving it.

xp8s7wd.jpg
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Doff assignments.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    There are a lot of old system patrols too that are not in the Patrol tab in the TFO menu.

People often talking about wanting more “exploration”—but there is still quite a bit to explore, if you are not too busy grinding for shinier rewards.

Of course they are not random. But with all the content in STO I could play all week and probably not repeat content, if it wasn’t for featured events and irl schedules.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Category:Starfleet_System_Patrol_missions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bjchiemarabjchiemara Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited June 2020

Sector space originally had random encounters called DSEs or Deep Space Encounters that was specific to each faction space.

It also had randomly generated missions at certain planets and sector unexplored areas.

It was fun back then to be able to do exploration...

These things were taken out in favor of more PEW PEW because some people don't like to think... they just want to go in, blow up stuff, then collect reward, rinse and repeat...

I miss the days where you could team up and go explore and do randomly generated missions with friends... that weren't always kill a bunch of mobs and head to sector space when done.

Would be nice if there were RAIDS where you team up with a bunch of people and the story of the RAID takes you all over the galaxy doing not only ship and ground fights but puzzles and exploring.

This game would be awesome with long raids like City of Heroes had that were 6 to 8 hours long, maybe not that long but a decent evening spent with your teammates.

This queue TRIBBLE is making the game boring.

bjchiemara wrote: »

Sector space originally had random encounters called DSEs or Deep Space Encounters that was specific to each faction space.

It also had randomly generated missions at certain planets and sector unexplored areas.

It was fun back then to be able to do exploration...

These things were taken out in favor of more PEW PEW because some people don't like to think... they just want to go in, blow up stuff, then collect reward, rinse and repeat...

I miss the days where you could team up and go explore and do randomly generated missions with friends... that weren't always kill a bunch of mobs and head to sector space when done.

Would be nice if there were RAIDS where you team up with a bunch of people and the story of the RAID takes you all over the galaxy doing not only ship and ground fights but puzzles and exploring.

This game would be awesome with long raids like City of Heroes had that were 6 to 8 hours long, maybe not that long but a decent evening spent with your teammates.

This queue TRIBBLE is making the game boring.

I opposed the removal of exploration in general, not the removal of that half-baked madlib system that tried to generate stories rather than scenarios. If it didn't try to just fill in blanks with random this that or the other and actually had rules behind what elements can be applied to which scenarios, and even which scenarios could even be applied would be dependent on logical conditions... But that's what it could have become, but never what it was... Instead, we had encounters with the third borg dynasty...

Where exploration was good was the data sample farming process. It served a useful purpose. And it was a true time invested equals comparable reward. You could get as many data samples as you wanted, if you simply put the time into it. There were no cooldown timers and no daily caps. THAT should never have gone away. They could have taken the madlib missions out and left data sample farming in, and it would have remained viable as a time - reward gameplay loop.

But no... They wanted R&D to become something you either grinded like hell for on top of a massive dilithium sink... unless you wanted to spend money on Zen so you could buy dilithium and/or R&D kits... Because that is what R&D turned into shortly after exploration was totally removed... And nobody can convince me that it wasn't deliberate.

Oh... but we had the Foundry for exploration, because people could create missions revolving around discovering things... And all those planets and star clusters in sector space? Each one was a door that a foundry mission could have been accessed by. That gave sector space meaning. But with foundry also gone, Sector space has lost even more purpose...

Just like the 2-faction system, Sector Space is a throw-back to a design concept that is no longer relevant. Especially since everything they want us to be doing has a transwarp option to jump right in. I'm not saying that Sector Space should be removed. I'm just saying that since it is no longer required to actually travel through sector space, then sector space no longer needs to be an excuse for why all sorts of ways to get around the galaxy cannot be added to the game. Where meeting up with friends would be just a matter of plotting a course to where they are, engaging, and the game would just send you right there...

• somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 8,968 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    What's the purpose of sector space?
    1. It serves as a useful visualization of the galaxy, giving context behind where things are, and thus, how the game stories apply the overall galaxy.
    2. While there is free transwarp to mission locations, those locations still need a place to EXIST in the first place. Sector space gives those mission locations a palce to exist, and serves as a staging area to change gear/loadouts before entering the mission area proper.
    3. Sector space is host to a number of pieces of content such as Deep Space Encounters, exploration clusters, randomly generated derelict ships, nebula, and comets, which can be scanned for crafting materials, patrols not in the patrol menu, and the entire DOFF system, including special DOFF projects not found in other areas, among other things.
    4. Its a useful social zone.

So, it serves a number of useful purposes.
    They still have those.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Deep_Space_Encounter
    Alpha & Beta Quadrants
    • "Abduction": Elachi
    • "Assimilate the Barbarians": Borg Collective
    • "The Other Side": Terran Empire of the Mirror Universe
    Alpha Quadrant only
    • "Cold Shoulder": Breen Confederacy
    • "Into the Web": Tholian Assembly
    • "The True Way": Cardassian forces of the True Way
    Beta Quadrant only
    • "Gorn Separatists": Seperatists of the Gorn Hegemony
    • "Intelligence Disaster": Tal Shiar-Romulan Star Empire
    • "Klingon Rebels": Rogue Klingon Empire
    • "Orion Slavers": Orion Syndicate
    • "Salvage Operations": Nausicaan pirates
    Delta Quadrant only
    • "Assimilation Grounds": Borg Collective
    • "Hirogen Proving Grounds": Hirogen
    • "Show of Force": Vaadwaur Supremacy
    • "Territory Dispute": Voth
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 535 Arc User

Agreed. Sometimes I like to take pics/screenshots of my ship just cruising along. All while playing the McHale's Navy theme. =)
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

Remember Eddie Van Halen
    1955-2020
  • e3241e3241 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I would love it if the Luna class ship would have a ter6 version because I love that design but, there’s only so much you can do with it. Please let’s make it happen please!
    What's the purpose of sector space?
    1. It serves as a useful visualization of the galaxy, giving context behind where things are, and thus, how the game stories apply the overall galaxy.
    2. While there is free transwarp to mission locations, those locations still need a place to EXIST in the first place. Sector space gives those mission locations a palce to exist, and serves as a staging area to change gear/loadouts before entering the mission area proper.
    3. Sector space is host to a number of pieces of content such as Deep Space Encounters, exploration clusters, randomly generated derelict ships, nebula, and comets, which can be scanned for crafting materials, patrols not in the patrol menu, and the entire DOFF system, including special DOFF projects not found in other areas, among other things.
    4. Its a useful social zone.

So, it serves a number of useful purposes.

Agreed on these points.

However, the need to use sector space has been an excuse for Cryptic as to why certain things cannot or never will be done. When you've got a convenient "jump right to location" button it pretty much negates the validity of those excuses. It's no longer necessary to actually travel the intervening distances. With that once mandatory element of travel removed via a convenient little button, to my mind, it opens the door for things they told us wasn't possible because of how difficult getting it to work with sector space would be... But it does not have to even involve sector space AT ALL, other than maybe putting the player near the POI for that staging area element you mentioned... And then there's their argument of well, what happens if they log off before reaching the destination. It would be unfair to just put them at the destination or putting them back where they started... And that would be a valid argument if they didn't add the insta-travel convenience buttons anyway, which bypass the need to travel. So yeah, it would now be perfectly fair to put the player at the destination... The result would be no different than someone hitting the insta-travel button and then logging off...

Correct me if I am wrong, regarding changing loadouts and other mission prep... Can we not do these things at any time anyway. Like can't we be loaded into a space zone, outside of combat range, and still change loadouts or character equipment? If so, and if grouped, don't we join the same instance of the space map? If so, the meeting up and loadout stuff can happen in orbital space before beaming down to a planet, or in a space map outside of combat range. As long as the game gives players a place to do these things, then I don't see the problem of removing sector space (as a perceived requirement for these activities, not from the game).

Agreed. Sometimes I like to take pics/screenshots of my ship just cruising along. All while playing the McHale's Navy theme. =)

LOL... whatever flies yous starship :p

Like I said, I don't want to see sector space removed from the game...

I want to see sector space removed as an excuse for why Cryptic cannot or will not do certain things... "Because sector space travel" has been their fallback position, but as stated, the insta travel buttons they added for convenience negate the validity their argument once had, and in fact, sets a precedence for adding more ways to get around the galaxy quickly and efficiently, in addition to the ability to "take the scenic route" if desired. See to me, it does not have to be either or. I say leave it up to the players as to which method to use. Just don't be afraid to open the door to new navigational possibilities, be it story-driven interactions with dialogue choices, clicking on a helm button while in a space zone... or on the bridge of ones ship... selecting a destination and then just going straight there... No countdown timers or some gimmicky garbage...

Like I've said, they've set the precedent for instant travel... Now let's see the creative ways in which they can use it to do all sorts of things they never could before, using what they already have... Like I said, the ability to insta-travel with the single click of a button is in the game already. It's just a matter of when, where, and how they want to trigger the functionality...

Assuming they have the manpower to create the necessary widgets in the UI to hook it up...

Or maybe they can put the unlock for the feature in a lockbox... :D
    e3241 wrote: »
    I would love it if the Luna class ship would have a ter6 version because I love that design but, there’s only so much you can do with it. Please let’s make it happen please!

I don't see how this is relevant...
  • furyofthefugafuryofthefuga Member Posts: 157 Arc User

This reminds me about how I've seen threads from folks asking for the 2-3 sec interact delay with banks on the kdf side to be removed (citing that they're already gone fed side)....
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,280 Arc User
    I like Sector Space so on my Miracle Worker Ships with the MACO Engines and Gamma Core slotted with 'Extensively Modified Warp Core', I can tool around at about Warp 95 when in Slipstream. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!
    Judge Dan Haywood
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 1,567 Arc User
    Why even bother with space ships then? Let's just use the transporters to beam to other planets, deal with things there, then beam back to our home starbase.
    Oh, wait, that was a rejected concept for TNG...

Sector Space might seem useless for some, but without it there's no Tour, to name just one thing.
    It's an important part of the game as without it, all the planets and solar systems are just a big jumble and we don't get to see just how big space really can be.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,280 Arc User
    “Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!
    Judge Dan Haywood
  • colonelmarikcolonelmarik Member Posts: 1,841 Arc User

These are the kinds of things I was referring to. I've likened it to being in "Sphere space," where there are missions here and there.

Imagine if, while passing through sector space, you come upon a randomly generated encounter. It might be a system to explore (you enter and do a fairly generic system survey), it might be a ship in distress (perhaps it's under attack, perhaps it's caught in a gravity well or other natural hazard, or perhaps it just broke down), it might be a natural hazard that affects YOU (eg. an ion storm, variable pulsar or black hole), it might be any number of things. Just random missions, spawned in random locations.

I know, it's similar to the old exploration system, but even that can be improved on, by making the elements of the missions random as well.

For example, that generic system survey might have a planet, moon and 20 asteroids to scan, and next time, there might be a planet, 2 moons and a radiation cloud. Each would have different requirements to scan and resolve.

As another example, that ship in distress might be under attack by Orions, or have broken down due to an infestation of tribbles, or giant spiders or something. The specifics of any given mission, sufficiently randomized, might create an endless number of similar, but unique missions.
    Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.

These are the kinds of things I was referring to. I've likened it to being in "Sphere space," where there are missions here and there.

Imagine if, while passing through sector space, you come upon a randomly generated encounter. It might be a system to explore (you enter and do a fairly generic system survey), it might be a ship in distress (perhaps it's under attack, perhaps it's caught in a gravity well or other natural hazard, or perhaps it just broke down), it might be a natural hazard that affects YOU (eg. an ion storm, variable pulsar or black hole), it might be any number of things. Just random missions, spawned in random locations.

I know, it's similar to the old exploration system, but even that can be improved on, by making the elements of the missions random as well.

For example, that generic system survey might have a planet, moon and 20 asteroids to scan, and next time, there might be a planet, 2 moons and a radiation cloud. Each would have different requirements to scan and resolve.

As another example, that ship in distress might be under attack by Orions, or have broken down due to an infestation of tribbles, or giant spiders or something. The specifics of any given mission, sufficiently randomized, might create an endless number of similar, but unique missions.

So... scenarios, rather than stories.