test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does STO have a problem with power creep?

As the title says, I've been using the same upgraded gear for years and I'm wondering if any of it has been rendered obsolete by newer gear? I've been using spire tac consoles for all my characters and have been using rep gear universal consoles in the other slots. When the weapon and console rep sets were expanded to include more energy types I incorporated those with those toons who now had the energy types this included.

For the core/deflector/engine/shield all of my toons use various full sets, either mission rewards or reputation sets, yet I'm hearing good things about some of the fleet gear. All of my toons are members of well-levelled and supplied fleets, so obtaining the gear shouldn't pose much of a problem.

Comments

• seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    If you think that achieving 1 million DPS in ISA is problematic then yes, STO does have a problem.
    Kinda amazing how people can break the game.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/drn1m4/how_we_got_1_million_dps_in_isa_on_an_engineer/

While the extremely high ceiling sure is a problem we also have the same issue on the low end. Like people not being able to complete the most basic stuff because they get stomped.
  • sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    I'm at that point in the game when I'm collecting masteries but have yet to fully optimise my characters on any individual ship.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User
    Any 10+ year old MMO is going to see MAJOR issues with power creep. It's just the nature of the beast.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Any 10+ year old MMO is going to see MAJOR issues with power creep. It's just the nature of the beast.

Indeed unless there's some serious efforts done to limit it any multiplayer game this old will have issues with powercreep it's just unavoidble.
  • section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Shhhh🙊 you don't want to mention the NERF monster. Six years ago it appeared and virtually eliminated PvP.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    I've turned to trying for theme builds. For the most part, they do what they're supposed to do. Namely, help me enjoy myself playing STO without having someone(or several someones, lol) to carry me through a mission or TFO. When I bothered with chasing DPS, I usually tried to get my builds to average 35k - 45k. Which is more than enough to successfully complete anything in the game. (WHAT?! WHAT HERESY IS THIS?!) Squeezing every last tenth of a point of DPS out of a build is not something I do any longer. (BLASPHEMY! MOST FOUL AND HEINOUS!)

Something some players have difficulty with is understanding a lot of DPS comes from the player's ability to move and fight a ship well. Gear can only take you so far. Using that gear well, while flying a ship competently, is at least as important if not more so. Some players aren't very good with a ship totally kitted out with Mk XV Gold. It just takes them longer to go to Respawnville is all. Other players can do astonishing things with a Dilithium purchase ship sporting Mk XII Uncommon gear and crew. Any good build is only going to perform as well as the player using it.

My advice, OP? Find a ship you like, put the gear on it you like and then fly it until your fingers cramp. Nothing beats personal experience with a ship. The initial build you put on it will not be as good as you hope. Mine usually only draw aggro and torpedoes like a magnet. While crawling painfully across the map at speeds which my dead gramma can leave in the dust. Meh, it's a start point. From there, I start tinkering with one thing at a time. Beginning with Traits. Surprising how quickly someone can take a mediocre build and adjust the Traits to turn it into something effective.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    The powercreep song. Once again...
  • siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    casualsto wrote: »

Just because it's continuous, doesn't make it wrong.
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    siotaylor wrote: »
    casualsto wrote: »

Just because it's continuous, doesn't make it wrong.

It's wrong, because powercreep is not a shout of "This game is being broken, feature by feature", it's a shout of "They're doing more dps than me. They got flashy things that I don't have."

The sole issue with this game's balance that should be addressed now, which might also fix this "powercreep" complaint would be:
    -Changing the Bonus damage to all sources from Attack pattern Alpha and a Good day to Die (tac captain skills) to Bonus damage to all weapons (torps and energy weapons).

This would solve all of the issues that might generate powercreep.