Options

Increase damage for kentari missile launcher

vector22204#9451 vector22204 Member Posts: 142 Arc User
Hi how do i increase the damage of the kentari missile launcher please
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    That's a good question, but forum rules say you should edit your thread title to something like "Increase damage Kentari missile" since vague titles are not allowed.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    That is a good question. Is it upgraded as far as you can get it? I'm not sure what will boost its damage console or traitwise.

Well, the wiki lists several abilities that can help:

Projectile Weapon Training: Torpedo weapon damage.
    Targeting Expertise: Weapon accuracy.
    Weapon Specialization: Torpedo weapon critical severity.
    Weapon Amplification: Torpedo weapon critical hit chance.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    > @echatty said:
    > That is a good question. Is it upgraded as far as you can get it? I'm not sure what will boost its damage console or traitwise.
    >
    > Well, the wiki lists several abilities that can help:
    >
    > Projectile Weapon Training: Torpedo weapon damage.
    > Targeting Expertise: Weapon accuracy.
    > Weapon Specialization: Torpedo weapon critical severity.
    > Weapon Amplification: Torpedo weapon critical hit chance.

Its mk xv very rare quality
  • Options
    Well the only thing that will improve it will be getting it to UR or Epic. Plus the tactical skills I edited in. There isn't anything on the wiki about consoles or traits affecting it.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Can it be re-engineered? If so y,ou can change some of those Crits to DMG. Terran Ferrofluid Assembly Console can help with 'Torpedo' cooldown and Damage.

@darkbladejk is an expert on Projectile Weapons, he may have some additional advice.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Thank you all for your help and advice
  • Options
    You're welcome
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    It's low(-ish) damage, yes; but is super-fast firing, and does additional radiation damage (not as a proc). It could still use a boost, though.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    There are only 2 reasons to run the Kentari missile and they end up being the same build.

1) It's fast firing which means you can use it to reset cool downs on longer cool down torpedos. Which means torpedo boat. Even so there are enough other fast firing 4s torpedos in the game now that the only ships that make sense with the KM are true 3 fore science ships. Anyway 2-3 Torpedo cool down doffs + basically any real torp and KM will keep your real torp firing.
    2) it's radiation dmg. (I haven't tested in awhile but I'm pretty sure its radiation is buffed by +rad consoles like the undine rep)

So the only ships I believe it makes sense to run this weapon on are science ships running in torp boat mode. Suggestion for loadout would be.... Emission Plasma torpedo, Rep Dyson (gravity well) torpedo, and Kentari M. Both the emission and gravity torp are buffed by particle generators... I haven't tested it in a long time and can't remember I think the KM may also be buffed by EPG but its dmg is low to begin with even if it is. In any event use it as a doff proc device to keep your high dmg crafted and rep torpedos firing.

Other suggested consoles... the reputation console that gives you 0.5 second torpedo global cool down. The mission console that buffs radiation. The cat 2 particle buff consoles (assuming it is buffed by particle gen... in space put a cheap Pgen console on and see if the dmg is buffed) .... their are 3 of them. Constriction anchor, delphic tear, Auxiliary Ejection Assembly (which can be expensive if your a federation player as it comes on a ship... on the exchange if your KDF) If it is buffed by Pgen. Those 3 consoles will buff that torp more then Torpedo tac consoles. But that is the other option... the missle is buffed by general torpedo consoles. If you are playing science ship though... better to use your tac slots of the 3 consoles I just listed, the cat 2 dmg buffs on them are much better then standard dmg consoles.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    The missiles are mildly amusing with the Entwined Tactical Matrices trait(Gagarin/Qugh). You can cycle Torp Spread, BFAW, and CSV to spam out mass quantities of missiles in 180 degrees. With Omega Kinetic Shearing and Temporal spec, you can get some interesting mass-DoT spam. There's a lot of gimmicky potential to be had with various synergies, so there's probably still some interesting untapped potential lurking somewhere.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    husanakx wrote: »
    There are only 2 reasons to run the Kentari missile and they end up being the same build.

1) It's fast firing which means you can use it to reset cool downs on longer cool down torpedos. Which means torpedo boat. Even so there are enough other fast firing 4s torpedos in the game now that the only ships that make sense with the KM are true 3 fore science ships. Anyway 2-3 Torpedo cool down doffs + basically any real torp and KM will keep your real torp firing.
    2) it's radiation dmg. (I haven't tested in awhile but I'm pretty sure its radiation is buffed by +rad consoles like the undine rep)

So the only ships I believe it makes sense to run this weapon on are science ships running in torp boat mode. Suggestion for loadout would be.... Emission Plasma torpedo, Rep Dyson (gravity well) torpedo, and Kentari M. Both the emission and gravity torp are buffed by particle generators... I haven't tested it in a long time and can't remember I think the KM may also be buffed by EPG but its dmg is low to begin with even if it is. In any event use it as a doff proc device to keep your high dmg crafted and rep torpedos firing.

Other suggested consoles... the reputation console that gives you 0.5 second torpedo global cool down. The mission console that buffs radiation. The cat 2 particle buff consoles (assuming it is buffed by particle gen... in space put a cheap Pgen console on and see if the dmg is buffed) .... their are 3 of them. Constriction anchor, delphic tear, Auxiliary Ejection Assembly (which can be expensive if your a federation player as it comes on a ship... on the exchange if your KDF) If it is buffed by Pgen. Those 3 consoles will buff that torp more then Torpedo tac consoles. But that is the other option... the missle is buffed by general torpedo consoles. If you are playing science ship though... better to use your tac slots of the 3 consoles I just listed, the cat 2 dmg buffs on them are much better then standard dmg consoles.

KM actually isn't needed for fed characters if you have some spare EC lying around, because ceaseless momentum beats the TRIBBLE out of that combination of KM + PWO

hell, you don't even need 3 PWO with that trait - i had to actually unequip two of mine because my torps were recharging so fast some never got a chance to fire

and the auxiliary ejection assembly can be gotten off the legendary konnie...which still makes it expensive (and limited-time since the pack goes away next month), but it's account-wide at that stage (for fed characters at least) and infinitely reclaimable​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    poddlipoddli Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    It's useful for the damage type endeavour, so there's a third reason to slot it and the only one I use it for.
  • Options
    szerontzur wrote: »
    The missiles are mildly amusing with the Entwined Tactical Matrices trait(Gagarin/Qugh). You can cycle Torp Spread, BFAW, and CSV to spam out mass quantities of missiles in 180 degrees. With Omega Kinetic Shearing and Temporal spec, you can get some interesting mass-DoT spam. There's a lot of gimmicky potential to be had with various synergies, so there's probably still some interesting untapped potential lurking somewhere.

KM are also good in combination with the Super Charged Weapons Trait (like ant fast-firing Torp).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    The main thing to think here isn't about the weapon itself. But the weapon's energy type, in this case kinetic. Which applies to most torpedoes, some experimental weapons, and one omni.

Then look at consoles and traits. While we have consoles upon consoles fr everything else. We have no consoles to help kinetic, outside of the just projectile damage ones. We aslo have few, if any, traits that help this damage type as well.

But to balance this out, torps themselves do a lot of damage. They also have a higher chance of their secondary effect happening. For example, most energy weapons special is a 2.5% to a 5% chance. Torps I believe start out at 20%. Add to this the Kentari Missiles have a standard out of the box recharge of 2 seconds, which puts their fire rate on par with every beam array out there.

The main question I have about the Missile packs is the damage itself. Is the listed damage overall, or per missile? If it's per missile, then you have to do the math. If memory serves, base fire is 6 missiles, the ones I have, I believe, do 247 damage.

247 x 6 = 1482. This is on par with most beam arrays.

Then you have to consider, since they're technically a torp, and I've used them to have a look at them, High Yield and Torp Spread work with them.

So this is one of those areas where you have to think about using them. By their-self, they're not that impressive. However do you use them as a fast fire weapons on a torp build, or a fast fire torp on a energy weapons build?
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    the kentari fires one missile per cycle, not 6​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options

I never fire a torp outside of High Yield or Spread, might be why I'm remembering such. Then, yes, with this being the case, missile packs need a damage increase. At least to bring them up to par with beam arrays. Not that big of a change, nor a game breaking one. Just enough to make them usable replacement for torps.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    jozen#9312 jozen Member Posts: 102 Arc User

Three
  • Options
    The damage isn't all that great, but it does have the radiation DoT, 180degree arc, and 2.5s firing cooldown. I like to throw it on cruisers on a rear slot. Seems to do the trick, and looks kid of fun when spread three happens.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    jozen#9312 wrote: »

Three

Well it fires three projectiles but counts as only one damage source while spread and hy count as multiple torpedoes
  • Options
    lianthelia wrote: »

Three

Well it fires three projectiles but counts as only one damage source while spread and hy count as multiple torpedoes

That is true
  • Options

Three

That is true

Ahh, then the problem isn't so much the damage itself. It's that all three count as one damage source, totaling up to the minuscule damage that they do.

If all three did the base damage listed, say the 247 I mentioned. That would be 741 damage total, the DoT, pushing it closer to the damage of a beam array. Then add in High Yield and Spread, these would become a decent weapon.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    Anything that buffs torpedo damage should increase the Kentari Missile Launcher. I know that the Gamma Reputation console does. From the exchange (Consoles -> Engineering on the left): Hull Image Refractors console buffs everything. Swarmer Matrix console gives a large pile of Projectile Weapon Training Skill.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »

Three

That is true

Ahh, then the problem isn't so much the damage itself. It's that all three count as one damage source, totaling up to the minuscule damage that they do.

If all three did the base damage listed, say the 247 I mentioned. That would be 741 damage total, the DoT, pushing it closer to the damage of a beam array. Then add in High Yield and Spread, these would become a decent weapon.

Yeah, it really isn't good for much other than being a cheap alternative to the rapid fire missile for proccing PWEs. The RFML is slightly faster and it does a bunch more kinetic damage so I would think it would contribute more for things like kinetic sheering.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Three

That is true

Yeah, it really isn't good for much other than being a cheap alternative to the rapid fire missile for proccing PWEs. The RFML is slightly faster and it does a bunch more kinetic damage so I would think it would contribute more for things like kinetic sheering.

Yes. The KM are good good for triggering procs, such as, like you say, PWO's (the kind that give CrtH/CrtD, etc, on firing a torp). Or, like I said earlier, in combination with the Super Charged Weapons Trait. With Kemo, and that Neutronic torp, I was able to make a more or less viable radiation build with it, but it's really more of a support weapon.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    Still though. Why do we call torpedoes, torpedoes? I mean a torpedo is an underwater weapon. Wouldn't what we call a torpedo be more of a Ship to Ship Missile? I mean a fighter pilot doesn't call a Sidewinder missile a torpedo.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    Still though. Why do we call torpedoes, torpedoes? I mean a torpedo is an underwater weapon. Wouldn't what we call a torpedo be more of a Ship to Ship Missile? I mean a fighter pilot doesn't call a Sidewinder missile a torpedo.

Why, we call our ship a 'ship' too; might as well go all the way. ;)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    i always thought the difference was in the yield - torpedoes have a far higher potential yield than missiles because they're generally bigger, which means more space for explosives (or whatever medium is used to deal damage, like plasma or other exotic substances)​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    One reason is probably that the original "photon torpedo" was a caseless thing with a pair of magnetic bottles on the end of a tractor/pressor beam, sort of like an old wooden-ship's spar torpedo. That changed rather fast though.
  • Options
    i always thought the difference was in the yield - torpedoes have a far higher potential yield than missiles because they're generally bigger, which means more space for explosives (or whatever medium is used to deal damage, like plasma or other exotic substances)​​

Torpedoes, by their very nature of traveling thru water, should move slower too.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.