test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alcohol Abolition actually working

jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
Which part of the 22 century actually got this idea through for the Federation?
Certainly was not 2345.

So who can we call to the 21st century tribune for this?

Discussion is needed at what point did it suddenly stick that the Federation did no longer need alcohol.
Anyone Quoting Memory Alpha will be ejected into space.

Comments

• westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,213 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    It Probably was happening a bit after first contact. After the eugenics wars most places that could produce alcohol effectively were likely destroyed, so I'm guessing humans started to move past it when y'know TRIBBLE aliens came down from the sky. Humanity seemed to make a huge change after first contact, focusing on improving itself.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    westx211 wrote: »
    It Probably was happening a bit after first contact. After the eugenics wars most places that could produce alcohol effectively were likely destroyed, so I'm guessing humans started to move past it when y'know TRIBBLE aliens came down from the sky. Humanity seemed to make a huge change after first contact, focusing on improving itself.

Destroying most of civilization is not going to stop people from drinking alcohol. It probably will increase alcohol intake and moonshine will become vastly more popular as a result.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Honestly I think if police in the 1920s had been properly equipped to deal with organized crime prohibition might still be the law.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,213 Arc User
    Yeah moonshine might become more popular but you're not reading what I said. Mass production of alcohol was over, and moonshine is difficult to produce on a large scale(and dangerous). So with humanity looking to the stars and trying to move past their violent past they probably just collectively gave up on alcohol and drugs and other vices. After all, what's the point when aliens and space travel are happening. I'm sure there were probably a few holdouts who wanted to drink in peace, but I'm also pretty sure that the majority of surviving humans didn't want to drink.(by the time of archer and the show Enterprise, humans were pretty much past greed for material goods, and alcohol along with most of their vices)
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
    westx211 wrote: »
    Yeah moonshine might become more popular but you're not reading what I said. Mass production of alcohol was over, and moonshine is difficult to produce on a large scale(and dangerous). So with humanity looking to the stars and trying to move past their violent past they probably just collectively gave up on alcohol and drugs and other vices. After all, what's the point when aliens and space travel are happening. I'm sure there were probably a few holdouts who wanted to drink in peace, but I'm also pretty sure that the majority of surviving humans didn't want to drink.(by the time of archer and the show Enterprise, humans were pretty much past greed for material goods, and alcohol along with most of their vices)

Never underestimate humanity's ability to get drunk or high. :tongue:
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    alcohol and drugs are used to blot out pain - usually mental

between humanity becoming post-scarcity and advances in medical techniques combined with the death of big pharma under a wave of nuclear fire meaning the root causes of issues like that can actually be permanently FIXED instead of just the symptoms being temporarily suppressed, neither of those things would be needed on the scale it is now​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    While Memory Alpha is pretty much the online encyclopedia on all things Trek Canon... I don't think they even have a page regarding why Alcohol is not as much a thing in Trek. Probably a page on Synthohol, but not much else. Also I think Alcohol is still a big thing, its just that people don't run to it all the time.

At least in the Kelvin Timeline, Budwiser is still around as Cadet Uhura actually orders a couple Bud Classics at the Riverside Bar. So I'd say its a pretty good chance that that is also true in the Prime Universe as well.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    According to the Synthehol page on Memory Alpha, alcoholic beverages were still drunk in the 24th Century by alcohol connoisseurs due to the taste of Synthehol like Scotty and Picard's brother. Which is also the excuse that Sisko's dad had with replicated food.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    In TOS:"By Any Other Name", Scotty uses his private stash to drink Tomar, the Kelvan he's trying to subvert, under the table (only to pass out himself a moment later). In TOS:"The Enemy Within", Evil Kirk gets loaded on Saurian brandy before breaking into Rand's quarters. And I'm pretty sure the drinks served at the K-7 bar in TOS:"The Trouble With Tribbles" were alcoholic, considering how easy it was to start a bar brawl.

Alcohol is replaced by synthehol aboard Starfleet vessels because the crew may have to become sober on a moment's notice. We don't really know much about civilian drinking habits in that era, except that Guinan keeps some of the good stuff under her bar (and Data has no idea what it is, save that "it is green").
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    jonsills wrote: »
    We don't really know much about civilian drinking habits in that era, except that Guinan keeps some of the good stuff under her bar (and Data has no idea what it is, save that "it is green").

Well... Picard was able to ID it because he was the one who gave Guinan that bottle. B)
    Aldebaran whiskey was a strong, green alcoholic beverage, favored by Guinan, who kept a bottle behind the bar in Ten Forward. It was a gift from her friend, Jean-Luc Picard.
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Aldebaran_whiskey
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTOP1BezOB8
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Guinan keeps some of the good stuff under her bar (and Data has no idea what it is, save that "it is green").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS-07dh9-NA
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png