test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek EU - What real Trek looks like.

jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
edited February 2020 in Ten Forward
Just as the Sequel Trilogy came out and my utter disgust for it, I started to revisit Star Wars EU and find the two to be night and day.

After my disgust for Star Trek Picard, and its rewriting of TNG and the abomination of Discovery, I started to read the TNG books taking place after Nemesis and its like a WTF kind of moment when you realize how robbed of soul and depth the new content from CBS is. When you read or listen to the audiobooks you feel as though you are actually pushing forward in time in a logical manner not completely disregarding what came before. The Destiny Novels are a treat, the Borg finally after all this time get the guts to take the Federation head on....with Admiral Janeway as their Queen, which is not surprising. Scarier then ever. The Federation even adapts too for a change. Worf becomes Captain Picard's XO, marries Beverley by the way (FU CBS) and they have a son. Reminds me of how Luke was robbed of Mara like in the Star Wars EU...what is it with show writers and red heads? Riker gets the Titan and actually is promoted to Admiral later on, above Picard which I find utterly hilarious, but Riker seems like the type of man that would be good at being an Admiral, not so much for Picard. USS Voyager is revisiting the Delta Quadrant with its series with a fleet in tow this time, Project Full Circle and once again when Voyager is away having fun, the Federation at this point in its history or future rather makes DS9 look campy. Unlike STP however they don't sacrifice their principals when it gets rough, they double down on them. Then you get the fallout to what DS9 started and Enterprise (NX-01) touched on with Section 31, and Dr. Bashir getting the last albeit late laugh. The new Typhon Pact which is essentially a bunch of Alpha and Beta Quadrant B-Listers forming their own little group being the new bad guys, all the while advancing the lives of the TNG crew in what I find to be true representations of what we experienced (pardon the pun), on screen. I haven't found one I disliked yet, all of them are well written. Star Trek Enterprise's Romulan War and Federation novel follow ups are also very intriguing at filling the gap up to the signing of the Federation Charter we saw in the series finale and continuing it forward.

Much like Star Wars EU is far superior to the modern trilogy so to is Star Trek's EU, compared to all the movies and TV shows after Nemesis.

I hope that unlike Star Wars, ours does not become a "Legends" or in our case "Voyages" series.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"

Comments

• Options
    mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    This is what happens when companies throw material away as non-canon.

While I enjoy both Disco and Picard perfectly fine and fine the hatred of both silly, I do agree that it is the nature of any halfway decent book series to be much better in fleshing out and advancing a universe than most TV or movies, if for no other reason than bandwidth, and I agree with the sentiment that many of the Star Trek EU books are far more interesting than the canon. It's a pity that they are so casually disregarded and many talented writers are denigrated because their works are not canon and the IP-holding corporations have no interest in promoting these materials--except to profit off them of course.

If STO were following the post-Nemesis book stories, it would be far more compelling to me and the same is true of Picard (though I do like the series for itself).

I don't personally like quite a number of Star Wars EU books but even those I dislike I consider better than the new movies, and I think Disney would be embarrassed if any great number of their intended audience actually read books.

Edit: as for that "real Trek" stuff... Not that the opinion isn't valid, but you might want to avoid throwing that around because far too frequently lately people use that as code for "everyone hate on DIsco for... certain reasons..." *sigh*
  • Options
    jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    mneme0 wrote: »
    This is what happens when companies throw material away as non-canon.

Edit: as for that "real Trek" stuff... Not that the opinion isn't valid, but you might want to avoid throwing that around because far too frequently lately people use that as code for "everyone hate on DIsco for... certain reasons..." *sigh*

Its not that at all. I dislike Discovery not because of the homosexual couple in S1 or Michael Burnham if she was well written and not a moody version of Tpol in Season 1 of Enterprise. WHY did it have to involve Spock. Spock's family and history were well documented time and time again before this and only now does he have an adopted sister with this series. Second, they completely messed up the Klingons, Star Trek Enterprise left us with a golden opportunity to continue on with the virus from Season 4, the Klingon design is completely off. The uniforms look like S1 TNG uniforms but worse. The only thing this show did right was the Constitution Enterprise, and Captain Pike. What we should have had is NOT Discovery but a Pike show. The Klingons almost taking over the Federation? Please, the Romulans couldn't do it during Archer's time. With 1 Constitution Class designed to take on 3 D7 Battlecruisers at once the Klingons don't have a prayer of defeating the 23rd Century Starfleet. I like Saru though, he deserves far better and in a far better show then Disco. Saru would fit right in with TNG, DS9 or VOY. Michael Burham however, would have been shown the airlock. Don't even get me started with the Spore Drive nonsense.

Discovery could have been good with the right people in charge and with the correct goals of being a decent Star Trek series rather then a retcon for "modern audiences" filled with SJW TRIBBLE.

Clearly people do not like Disco, views are down but the ratings are high for TNG on Netflix.....same with DS9.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    every continuity clash can be explained. no reason, to not watch it. the projects need better writers but voyager needed that too
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    jake477 wrote: »
    Just as the Sequel Trilogy came out and my utter disgust for it, I started to revisit Star Wars EU and find the two to be night and day.

After my disgust for Star Trek Picard, and its rewriting of TNG and the abomination of Discovery, I started to read the TNG books taking place after Nemesis and its like a WTF kind of moment when you realize how robbed of soul and depth the new content from CBS is. When you read or listen to the audiobooks you feel as though you are actually pushing forward in time in a logical manner not completely disregarding what came before. The Destiny Novels are a treat, the Borg finally after all this time get the guts to take the Federation head on....with Admiral Janeway as their Queen, which is not surprising. Scarier then ever. The Federation even adapts too for a change. Worf becomes Captain Picard's XO, marries Beverley by the way (FU CBS) and they have a son. Reminds me of how Luke was robbed of Mara like in the Star Wars EU...what is it with show writers and red heads? Riker gets the Titan and actually is promoted to Admiral later on, above Picard which I find utterly hilarious, but Riker seems like the type of man that would be good at being an Admiral, not so much for Picard. USS Voyager is revisiting the Delta Quadrant with its series with a fleet in tow this time, Project Full Circle and once again when Voyager is away having fun, the Federation at this point in its history or future rather makes DS9 look campy. Unlike STP however they don't sacrifice their principals when it gets rough, they double down on them. Then you get the fallout to what DS9 started and Enterprise (NX-01) touched on with Section 31, and Dr. Bashir getting the last albeit late laugh. The new Typhon Pact which is essentially a bunch of Alpha and Beta Quadrant B-Listers forming their own little group being the new bad guys, all the while advancing the lives of the TNG crew in what I find to be true representations of what we experienced (pardon the pun), on screen. I haven't found one I disliked yet, all of them are well written. Star Trek Enterprise's Romulan War and Federation novel follow ups are also very intriguing at filling the gap up to the signing of the Federation Charter we saw in the series finale and continuing it forward.

Much like Star Wars EU is far superior to the modern trilogy so to is Star Trek's EU, compared to all the movies and TV shows after Nemesis.

I hope that unlike Star Wars, ours does not become a "Legends" or in our case "Voyages" series.

I absolutely LOVE the old Star Wars EU (now known as Legends), but the Star Trek novels I tried reading a long time ago weren't very interesting and I could never finish any of them.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Its not that at all. I dislike Discovery not because of the homosexual couple in S1 or Michael Burnham if she was well written and not a moody version of Tpol in Season 1 of Enterprise. WHY did it have to involve Spock. Spock's family and history were well documented time and time again before this and only now does he have an adopted sister with this series. Second, they completely messed up the Klingons, Star Trek Enterprise left us with a golden opportunity to continue on with the virus from Season 4, the Klingon design is completely off. The uniforms look like S1 TNG uniforms but worse. The only thing this show did right was the Constitution Enterprise, and Captain Pike. What we should have had is NOT Discovery but a Pike show. The Klingons almost taking over the Federation? Please, the Romulans couldn't do it during Archer's time. With 1 Constitution Class designed to take on 3 D7 Battlecruisers at once the Klingons don't have a prayer of defeating the 23rd Century Starfleet. I like Saru though, he deserves far better and in a far better show then Disco. Saru would fit right in with TNG, DS9 or VOY. Michael Burham however, would have been shown the airlock. Don't even get me started with the Spore Drive nonsense.

Discovery could have been good with the right people in charge and with the correct goals of being a decent Star Trek series rather then a retcon for "modern audiences" filled with SJW TRIBBLE.

Clearly people do not like Disco, views are down but the ratings are high for TNG on Netflix.....same with DS9.

The Connie wasn't designed to fight D7s. The D7 came after the Connie. As for Spock's family and history... We have two instances of Spock NOT saying anything about his family.
    • The fact his father is Ambassador Sarek (TOS. Kirk never knew that)
    • The fact he has a half-brother, Sybok (ST5)

Hell... Spock is not only very private about his family, he can be rather literal in the wording. You ask him if he has a sister, he would say no. Then probably say he had an ADOPTED sister. Just like when he said he didn't have a brother, then said he had a HALF-brother.

Also... this sounds more like an "I hate Discovery" rant thread. As for ratings on Netflix... of course TNG and DS9 would have higher ratings. BECAUSE EVEN THE US HAS ACCESS TO THEM ON NETFLIX WHEREAS DISCOVERY IS EXCLUSIVELY ON CBS ALL ACCESS SO THERE WOULD BE NO RATING FOR THE US FOR IT.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User

Yeah, Star Trek shouldn't have things like that... oh, wait...

I agree with your points on plot and characterization and so forth but then you had to prove my pessimism right.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    Yeah... this looks like a bunch of gatekeeping, trolling nonsense, which isn't allowed on this forum. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.