test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

To Hell With Honor!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
To Hell with Honor, our first TFO pitting space forces against ground forces, is coming with our Anniversary Update!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11348133

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    J'mpok might as well be a Romulan.

The paranoia, the scheming. Let's just call him Praetor J'mpok from now on.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    I hope there will be a new episode for STO's 10th anniversary. While more TFO's are appreciated, episodes are still the type of content I look forward to the most.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    This story puts "stink of a wet targ" in a context that sounds almost negative? pig-24.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    This story puts "stink of a wet targ" in a context that sounds almost negative? pig-24.gif​​

Lol don't take it personal mr. stinky ;)

• xungnguyenxungnguyen Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    I've a feeling House MoKai will be crippled for some time after this.
    temporal_lapras__royal_flagship__by_lapry101-dbutq96.png

"Simba, you have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are … you are my son and the one true king." (Mufasa)
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Methinks my shuttles disagree with the claim that this is the first time space vs ground happens. I also have to wonder if these Elachi walkers seen in the picture are going to convert back to flight mode to actually put up a fight against our space forces, and if they don't, hopefully we have a really good reason for that. I'm also concerned about potential scale issues, and wonder if there will be gravitational effects and collision damage with the ground. I hope there are more than Elachi walkers recycled and some new ground based enemies of some sort.

Mostly I hope despite any narrative, logical, and suspension of disbelief issues it will be fun.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    This looks like a cool map. I wish we didn't have to wait for advanced/Elite versions.. the 'normal' version just looks way too easy.

I get why they do it, to let people finish 'the event' easier, but I really don't like playing in normal.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • vongravenvongraven Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    The new map looks indeed very promising and like a lots of fun. It's nice to have something different from the most common space pewpew. I'll definitely try it out.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    “To Gre'thor with honor” spit J’mpok (should be spat),“and J’Ula with it.”

He muttered, “Die with honor.”

J'mpok reminds me of Ambassador B'vat. Once honourable, using now using others to fight and die for him so he can walk on fallen to claim easy victory.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @fleetcaptain5#1134 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Lol don't take it personal mr. stinky ;)

That's 'Queen Stinky of Targ Sty' for you 🐗

I haven't seen the video yet, how do they actually combine space and ground? Is it like the dyson sphere?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    > (Quote)
    >

I haven't seen the video yet, how do they actually combine space and ground? Is it like the dyson sphere?
    Nah, it's nothing like the Dyson Sphere.
    It's more like Atmosphere Assault, just without any gravity or atmosphere because it takes place on a moon - makes sense, since they're building ships there - no ground collision if you happen to want to go say hello to the ground forces really up close and you use a ship instead of a shuttle.
    This looks like a cool map. I wish we didn't have to wait for advanced/Elite versions.. the 'normal' version just looks way too easy.

I get why they do it, to let people finish 'the event' easier, but I really don't like playing in normal.
    Agreed.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Does come across as a "revamp" of the atmo assault using regular ships instead of shuttles.

Also seems like julia is going to end up being painted as the machiavellian villian behind everything the same way the iconians were shoehorned into being the ones to blame for the various races coming to wage war. Given that her tactics so far are basically to dump a crapton of fragile vessels right on top of the player until a timer runs out she's either not that smart or is pulling a daniels and yoinking forces from the past.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Just like "Atmospheric Assault"? As long as my ship doesn't get stuck at the 'roof' because I flew too high. :)

Hopefully, we'll get the Shuttle Event back this Spring.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    So no comment on the disgusting amount of rubber banding that continues to plague this game more and more each day and was blatantly obvious that entire video?
  • fabelajf9#1646 fabelajf9 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Guys bring back the delta recruit event and consider making a annual delta race like season 7 episode 3 DRIVE from VOYAGER. Still waiting for that.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Well, now that I had a chance to watch the video, I can nitpick better.

No ground collision. Well that removes any reason to care about the moon or your flying.

Lack of gravitational effects is another big missed opportunity to add some interesting feature to this map.

The scale is really off. 10km weapons range is essentially that airliner flying at 30000 feet bombarding the surface of the Earth, and this feels well below that range. The current scale actually would have been more plausible if there was an atmosphere as it would interfere with directed energy attacks and add friction to torpedoes. Of course scale has never been easy to do in this game, but it is easier to hide in space.

New enemies would have been nice, walkers are very old hat at this point.

Building ships on a moon instead of space? Ooh, that is just wrong. It is more wrong with realism than Trek, yet it would be nice to explain it well, like they are easier to hide from scans on the moon, and the moon is actively being mined so it is arguably more efficient.

Also if you don't understand these nitpicks, I'm someone who repeatedly bug reported Earth's moon for its wildly wrong orbital inclination, not to mention the scale.

Still hope its fun, but I think adding effects like collision and gravity would actually make it much more interesting and fun, not just another space map where you don't have to think about terrain.
  • sanatobasanatoba Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    So it's not just me who thinks J'mpok is acting strangely. Ever since the return of the Dominion and the Hur'q, he has been acting a lot differently. Could it just be the stress and chaos have gotten to him? And is he really trying to do what he now thinks is best for the Empire? Perhaps. But perhaps not. He was a battle hardened champion of war who acted before he thought things through. Now he's devious, slow to act and possibly an overly suspicious coward. I have to wonder if someone is now 'controlling' him. But only time will tell.
    Been Playing STO as much as I can for 11+ Years!

"Never Surrender! Never give up Hope!"
    "Prosperity and Success in everything you do."
    "To Boldly go.........well punch it already!"
    "To Be or Not To Be"....Alas, the Foundry is Not To Be. We Shall miss Thee, dear Friend!
    "Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers?"- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Thank You, Cryptic......even when I don't agree with all your decisions....Thank You for Star Trek Online!
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    sanatoba wrote: »
    So it's not just me who thinks J'mpok is acting strangely. Ever since the return of the Dominion and the Hur'q, he has been acting a lot differently. Could it just be the stress and chaos have gotten to him? And is he really trying to do what he now thinks is best for the Empire? Perhaps. But perhaps not. He was a battle hardened champion of war who acted before he thought things through. Now he's devious, slow to act and possibly an overly suspicious coward. I have to wonder if someone is now 'controlling' him. But only time will tell.

the excuse is by the time the hur'q showed up the klingon empire has been screwed over so many times by their "allies" that j'mpok is just done with it, he is keeping the alliance going cause he has little choice about it but he not happy about it.

as far as any odd characterization problems, I give even odds cryptic just plain doesn't know about them.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Expect many Empire Strikes Back references.
    Can we have tow cables to wrap around the walkers' legs please?
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
      So no comment on the disgusting amount of rubber banding that continues to plague this game more and more each day and was blatantly obvious that entire video?

Kael wasn't rubberbanding, if that's what you were referring to, he was backing up.

It looks interesting and I hope to give it a try. I always play normal. Sometimes advanced, but never elite.
      Now a LTS and loving it.
      Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
      I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
      I can't wait to see how that works with huge ships like the Valkis.
      Star Trek version of SW's Battle Of Jakku, except with no big ships crashing on the surface and no allied ground forces.
      #TASforSTO
      Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
      “To Gre'thor with honor” spit J’mpok (should be spat),“and J’Ula with it.”

He muttered, “Die with honor.”

J'mpok reminds me of Ambassador B'vat. Once honourable, using now using others to fight and die for him so he can walk on fallen to claim easy victory.
      Except B'vat was trying to lead the Klingons to a path of self ruin via endless violence, aka like J'Ula is doing. Which is pretty much what J'Ula is, a female B'vat for Discovery players to parallel the 2409 Fed's story.

J'mpok on the other hand is aware of the problems of his own specie's culture, and is actively trying to keep his people safe, but also skirt around said problems as he tries ti lead them away from the path of self destruction that violence brings.

In short, hes literally nothing like B'vat at all.

I disagree. Mayhap you have not run into him when trying to save Miral Paris. He states how his future self is without honour.
      This would be something I'd like to see if the TOS era factions would be expanded for the AoY recruitment drive.

Martok explained how much J'mpok has changed since the younger J'mpok defeated him. How J'mpok's political drive had overtaken his sense of honour.

J'Ula, on the other hand remains the same, both in terms of motivations and goals.

J'mpok, like B'vat is heading down a downward spiral. Question is whether J'mpok will meet the same fate as B'vat, or will he change before it's too late?

Out of copyright concerns, they'll use tractor beams (both franchises use tractor beams :) ).
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User

Out of copyright concerns, they'll use tractor beams (both franchises use tractor beams :) ).

Close enough
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • imffsimffs Member Posts: 18 Arc User
        The reason to use italics is to call out something specific. Italics are not a readable font. Perhaps a readable font is preferable? If your entire story has to be in a callout maybe something is wrong.
        sanatoba wrote: »

Not necessarily someone, but also something.

Klingons have always needed an external enemy or their houses would turn against each other in their thirst for battle. J'mpok knows that because no such external enemies exist and, moreover, an 'internal' one does exist, J'ula has the potential to tear the Empire apart.

The only way to avoid that is to fight her, without doing it himself.

> (Quote)
        >

I hadn't seen the video yet either, I didn't want to see any spoilers. But apparently it's nothing like the DS ;)