test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Short Trek: Children of Mars

mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
So, who else has seen this short trek so far?

I really enjoyed it and kinda ties with Ephraim and Dot from the recent short treks (maybe all, actually). It told a nice emotional arc for the two kids, and the music was used quite effective to transport the emotions of the episode. Well done, and I enjoy reviewing it just because of that, not even looking for new hints at the events that were depicted.
Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I liked it. I'm also liking the far more naturalistic civilian style that's been a part of the show since ENT though now we see that the future regains it's sense of fashion after the insipid cringe of the civilian wear of TMP to NEM.

Seeing actual locations and normality of things like school uniforms and technology integrated into life in a natural way makes PIC look so much better than it would have if they'd kept the bland styles of TNG or VGR.
    The room they're taking the calls in reminds me of the Galaxy Class with it's padded brown leather look, so there's a nice nod to TNG.

Though a Vulcan without a bowl cut is odd.

The makeup work on the alien one of the two children was really good and the fight was a lot more brutal than school fights (especially between girls) are normally shown and is far more like what I remember kids being like (i.e. vicious arseholes).

It's nice to see the Magee and Zimmerman survive as well as the Miranda and Excelsior to all those complaining about older ships being T6s in STO.

The problem is that it's not really worth a Short Trek. I think they should be for stories like Calypso and the Mudd one that would never get full episodes. This feels like a B-Plot from a PIC episode like Runaway could have been a B-Plot from DSC S1.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Kurtzman, I don't care and it shows!: Romulan red alert going off in a Federation school on Earth. :D
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Well, it seems that the speculation of Picard resigning from Starfleet because of Hobus exploding was nonsense.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    I liked it. I'm also liking the far more naturalistic civilian style that's been a part of the show since ENT though now we see that the future regains it's sense of fashion after the insipid cringe of the civilian wear of TMP to NEM.

Seeing actual locations and normality of things like school uniforms and technology integrated into life in a natural way makes PIC look so much better than it would have if they'd kept the bland styles of TNG or VGR.
    The room they're taking the calls in reminds me of the Galaxy Class with it's padded brown leather look, so there's a nice nod to TNG.

The makeup work on the alien one of the two children was really good and the fight was a lot more brutal than school fights (especially between girls) are normally shown and is far more like what I remember kids being like (i.e. vicious arseholes).
    It reminded me of some study or campaign that I heard about where they discussed what "fight like a girl" means - younger kids simply understand it as fighting (similar to what we see here), and older kids mimic the "sissy" fights, suggesting that thanks to "socialization" or media children's understanding of the term (and by consequence, possibly what they consider "appropriate" for girls and women) is changed. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever directed that scene thought of that and made sure that it looks like a "real" fight - no matter the age, in Star Trek women haven't forgotten how to fight. (Presumably, they learn advanced martial arts techniques like the two-handed fist and other Kirk moves only in Starfleet.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    artan42 wrote: »

It reminded me of some study or campaign that I heard about where they discussed what "fight like a girl" means - younger kids simply understand it as fighting (similar to what we see here), and older kids mimic the "sissy" fights, suggesting that thanks to "socialization" or media children's understanding of the term (and by consequence, possibly what they consider "appropriate" for girls and women) is changed. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever directed that scene thought of that and made sure that it looks like a "real" fight - no matter the age, in Star Trek women haven't forgotten how to fight. (Presumably, they learn advanced martial arts techniques like the two-handed fist and other Kirk moves only in Starfleet.)

:D Now I'm imaging the impact of the short where the kids fight with the silly Kirk-Fu with all the unnecessary rolls and daft hand movements.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Well, it seems that the speculation of Picard resigning from Starfleet because of Hobus exploding was nonsense.
    Yeah, AGT showed him to have retired due to age. This seems to be playing off that.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    so now i'm wondering what the fluff a synth is...like, is it the federation's new term for android, the term for THEIR version of soong's model or something else entirely?

also...now i'm wondering if that mystery woman who came to picard for help in the first picard trailer might be one, which could explain some of his lines in that same trailer​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    so now i'm wondering what the fluff a synth is...like, is it the federation's new term for android, the term for THEIR version of soong's model or something else entirely?

also...now i'm wondering if that mystery woman who came to picard for help in the first trailer might be one, which could explain some of his lines in that same trailer​​
    Given the Federation's fondness for automation, I'm guessing robotic workers not meant to be intelligent enough to revolt. Given that it's Mars maybe they're working the shipyards?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

also...now i'm wondering if that mystery woman who came to picard for help in the first picard trailer might be one, which could explain some of his lines in that same trailer​​

We can only speculate, but it seems it could be a catch-all for the various artificially sophonts they created by now - Androids like Data or Lore, Exocomps*, Wesley-Crusher-Nanites*, Holograms like the VOY Emergency Medical Hologram... Judging by Measure of a Man and that episode with the EMH fighting for rights to his novel, the legal situation for such beings is still not firmly established, and judged on a case-by-case basis. Wonder if it could also include liberated Borg, since we've seen that Cube and Seven of Nine in the trailers...

(I don't know if those Nanites or Exocomps will play a role, though it would be fun if they did).
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Wonder if it could also include liberated Borg, since we've seen that Cube and Seven of Nine in the trailers...

I don't think Seven would count as a Synth. Otherwise Picard might have to as well as he was also liberated from the Collective.

I don't see Borg falling into that category. Seven is basically Human, just cybernetically augmented now after having recovered from years of being full on Borg. We've seen Cybernetic enhancements before. Technically Detmer had that as far back as the 23rd Century, although it was more of a medical reason for her having the implants.

Wonder if Seven actually uses her human name now, and just keeps her old Borg name as a nickname.
    "Hi I'm Annika Hansen, but you can just call me Seven" sort of thing.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited January 2020
    Well, at least 'Picard" makes it pretty clear why he did resign from Starfleet.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    no, 'we' don't​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    There, changed that for you. Want to avoid spoilers.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    https://www.utoronto.ca/news/star-trek-transforms-u-t-building-futuristic-space-school

People wondered why Children of Mars used a shuttle model from Discovery if it was shot in LA like Picard for which it sets things up for. Well the anwser is here, it wasn't shot in LA, it was shot in Toronto like they do with everything Star Trek now, except for Star Trek: Picard itself. It was shot in the University of Toronto building.