test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO is trapped in a Temporal Anomaly

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
STO is trapped in a Temporal Anomaly.

We have 10 years of events occurring within 2 in game years.

10 Christmases (Qmases?), 9 Anniversiers/First Contact Days, a bunch of wars, ect..., all some how occurring in a two year span (actual given that we aren't in 2411 yet more like a year and a half or something).

So clearly STO is trapped in a Temporal Anamoly .

On a more serious note STO is due for another retcon to its timeline. Its not the first serious unexplained retcon, far from it.

It would allow STOs timeline to make more sense. It would allow it to fit better with Picard, and it would allow it explain how the Odysessy Class is now appearing 25 years before in Picard Comic/TV show, then it does in STO.

The beauty of STO is you can blame it all on time travel. Or Q. Or invaders from another universe. Or the Prophets/Pahwraiths of Bajor.

But this would fix what is increasingly becoming a weird problem for STO and Star Trek in general given Admiral Kurtzmen's foundness for tying the Star Trek multimedia empire together.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Wars: Federation-Klingon, Iconian War, Hurq-Dominion War, Tzenkthi War, Feklhri-Klingon, Borg vs everybody, Delta Quadrant War, part of the Temporal War, True Way War, Undine War, Voth War, ect...
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Have to agree with som here. There have only been four wars in-game. The Federation-Klingon War, the Iconian War (the Undine were duped by the Iconians), the Temporal Cold War, and the other one. All the others you listed are not wars but major or minor conflicts in the Alliance story arc. I suggest replaying the episodes lordgyor.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    We literally have a bunch of war zones in this game that say otherwise. I don't what weird metric you guys are using for wars, but opposing forces sending ships to kill each other is a war to most folks.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    So, OP. You really started this thread to argue with others and prove you're smart and right and they are stupid and wrong.
    As well as a way to bump that all important post count number.

Worked, too, didn't it?
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    We literally have a bunch of war zones in this game that say otherwise. I don't what weird metric you guys are using for wars, but opposing forces sending ships to kill each other is a war to most folks.

They could be called skirmishes or even minor brushwars, but they are not all out efforts like the other four and could be happening concurrently with small local fleets.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Oddy is in Picard eh? Well just confirms my suspicions that CBS went to Cryptic because they needed help writing for Discovery/Picard :D
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    i think ,one federation year would be longer then one earth year.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    Yea true, yet the original point is valid and made. I too once commented when they said we were returning to 2410, and I was like why isn't it going into 2412, 2413, or even slightly beyond that.
    sthe91 wrote: »
    Have to agree with som here. There have only been four wars in-game. The Federation-Klingon War, the Iconian War (the Undine were duped by the Iconians), the Temporal Cold War, and the other one. All the others you listed are not wars but major or minor conflicts in the Alliance story arc. I suggest replaying the episodes lordgyor.

I'd also agree with your analysis, still the original timeline should have seen 2-3 years added, especially given the 10 years involved in making the timeline now. ;)
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Everyone repeat after me:

"Q did it!"

;)
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The other day I picked up 5 Discovery Novels, which included the ones listed above for my Kindle on sale at 99¢ each.

What CBS says goes even if they sound like blithering idiots or it reminds you of the Steinbrenner/Billy Martin firings/rehirings/firings/rehirings.

Only they may speak the words of the E'ed Plebnista. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well, if everything on Screen is absolute canon then Kirk, McCoy, Checkov, and Scotty died in 'Spock's Brain'. It was stated that the Class M planets able to support life were Sigma Draconis III, IV, and VI. They beamed down to VI.

But later Sulu says:
    'Ship's log. Lieutenant Sulu recording. I am holding the Enterprise in orbit about planet Sigma Draconis Seven...'

So they were beamed down to the wrong planet that couldn't support their life. RIP.

If they can't get stuff right within their own context, one could easily maintain that coordination between different media types by disparate people can certainly be possible and still be canon especially given time differentials.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Oddy is in Picard eh? Well just confirms my suspicions that CBS went to Cryptic because they needed help writing for Discovery/Picard :D

CBS doesn't need to do that, since all IPs are owned by them. Just saying...

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Well, if everything on Screen is absolute canon then Kirk, McCoy, Checkov, and Scotty died in 'Spock's Brain'. It was stated that the Class M planets able to support life were Sigma Draconis III, IV, and VI. They beamed down to VI.

But later Sulu says:
    'Ship's log. Lieutenant Sulu recording. I am holding the Enterprise in orbit about planet Sigma Draconis Seven...'

So they were beamed down to the wrong planet that couldn't support their life. RIP.

If they can't get stuff right within their own context, one could easily maintain that coordination between different media types by disparate people can certainly be possible and still be canon especially given time differentials.

It's not as if they ever had problems with remembering which planet is which, even into the movies....

"Khaaaaan! Khaaaaaan! Khaaaaaaaaan!"
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    There's also the fact Chekov recognized Khan, and Khan recognized Chekov, despite the fact Space Seed came out before Chekov was a character, and thus there should be no reason either of them would recognize each other.
    I think a fan theory is that Chekov was the guy who didn't let Khan use the bathroom or something silly like that.

Anyways... The IP holders have ultimate power to say what is canon and what is not. And the Powers That Be have declared those tie-in comics canon. Realistically... that means end of discussion.

Doesn't stop it, but it still...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Whoever told you that is an idiot because no such thing has happened. I am aware the Midnight's Edge morons have spread that but as usual they are stellar grade idiots and making things up. To date there has been no conflict whatsoever between Discovery and the fully canon tie ins.
    There have been several
    -In the novel Desperate Hours, Saru's homeworld is mentioned as Kelpia, when its actually Kamminar
    -The same novel also mentions an interaction between Pike and Georgiou, one that is later contradicted by the episode "Saints of Imperfection", something the later novel "The Enterprise War" tries to re-retcon and hand wave.
    -The same novel also says Saru's people spent most of their time living underground, hiding from the t'rrask, when, in the show, they are hut dwelling people enslaved by the Ba'ul
    And that's just a few from the first novel.

I also know one of the novels claims Una is a vegan or vegetarian, but then we clearly see her eat a burger in Discovery.

Repeat after me...the IP holder (no matter how much I disagree with them) has say over what is and is not cannon. If I had it my way, the the Michael Burnham show would not be canon prime timeline...but I don't get to have it my way...and neither do you. CBS says it's canon...guess what sweet pea, it's canon. And yeah there are a few things in conflict here or there...but have you seen Trek? Now you wanna talk head canon...do whatever you want.

Trying to talk Trek canon you need a bachelor's degree in temporal physics and timelines :)
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    > @truewarper said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > CBS doesn't need to do that, since all IPs are owned by them. Just saying...

Not exactly. Because Cryptic made the Oddysey they own some rights to it even though it's a star trek ship. Copyright is very convoluted, but this is one of the reasons we don't have trek ships from other games. Because thos other developers own those ships, even though CBS owns the ip
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    I noticed that as well. In my comics, it's like 2414 or so at least.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Anyways, CBS has said, multiple times, that the only thing that is canon is the TV shows and movies. All ancillary material, be it comics, novels, videos games, or w/e, is not canon. CBS has said this multiple times, year after year.
    Show me. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    westx211 wrote: »
    > @truewarper said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > CBS doesn't need to do that, since all IPs are owned by them. Just saying...

Not exactly. Because Cryptic made the Oddysey they own some rights to it even though it's a star trek ship. Copyright is very convoluted, but this is one of the reasons we don't have trek ships from other games. Because thos other developers own those ships, even though CBS owns the ip

The License of the IP to Cryptic...is a renter. Anything made during that time, goes to CBS/Paramount automatically. If the former decides to end said renting. Everything goes back to that Renter.

As for the Ships, you are correct...the license divided existed between Paramount and CBS was terrible, but it was what it was back then. The merger now *completed on Dec 4 2019*, ends that.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Anyways, CBS has said, multiple times, that the only thing that is canon is the TV shows and movies. All ancillary material, be it comics, novels, videos games, or w/e, is not canon. CBS has said this multiple times, year after year.
    Show me. :)

SHown

More...

This discussion has been closed.