test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

It's time to bring back Rick Berman back to Star Trek

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
edited December 2019 in Ten Forward
https://youtu.be/81UqzgyGEiw

They have dropped another another Star Trek showrunner. I swear they are dropping faster then Ocumpa.

Rick Bermen was the Captain of the Star Trek for a combined 25 season, the Golden Age of Star Trek or as I call it the Berman Age of Star Trek. Berman get **** done, for long periods of time, Twenty Five Seasons of Star Trek, he saved TNG for early season fumbles.

And if the Age of Berman had never happened, the Kelvin Movies would never have happened, Discovery would never have happened, Picard would never have happened.

Current showrunners can't even last much beyond a Picard micro season of ten episodes, never mind a full 25 season each of which is over twice as many episodes.

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    How about you don't listen to Space!Alex Jones for a change?

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/12/13/report-star-trek-picard-showrunner-michael-chabon-not-returning-for-second-season/
    https://deadline.com/2019/12/the-amazing-adventures-of-kavalier-clay-limited-series-showtime-michael-chabon-ayelet-waldman-cbs-tv-studios-overall-deal-1202805144/

Michael Chabon helmed all of season one, and he's sticking around as executive producer, he's just not directing or screenwriting season two.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    And why do you hate Star Trek so badly that you want to bring back half of the team that almost destroyed the franchise?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    > @jonsills said:
    > And why do you hate Star Trek so badly that you want to bring back half of the team that almost destroyed the franchise?

That team did also give us star trek at its unmatched best. TNG season 3 through to the end of VOY is a plateau nothing before or after has quite managed to rival yet.

High hopes for Picard though, it's time to get out of the prequel rut.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @starswordc said:
    > How about you don't listen to Space!Alex Jones for a change?
    >
    > https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/12/13/report-star-trek-picard-showrunner-michael-chabon-not-returning-for-second-season/
    > https://deadline.com/2019/12/the-amazing-adventures-of-kavalier-clay-limited-series-showtime-michael-chabon-ayelet-waldman-cbs-tv-studios-overall-deal-1202805144/
    >
    > Michael Chabon helmed all of season one, and he's sticking around as executive producer, he's just not directing or screenwriting season two.

If you watched the the video I provided you'd already know I know that already.

But there is still a showrunner gap and I think Rick Berman is the perfect choice to fill it. He has great taste, great vision, he is practical enough to get things done, even would it makes unpopular.
    > @jonsills said:
    > And why do you hate Star Trek so badly that you want to bring back half of the team that almost destroyed the franchise?

25 seasons of successs. And why stop at half the team your so right Jonsills, thank you, ots time to also make Brannadon Bragga back as co-show runner. Its time reunite Star Trek's Show Runner A-Team.

And Enterprise had the last laugh, its nearly as watched as DS9 on Netflix, it would NEVER have been cancelled if it had been as popular then as it is now. Berman and Bragga have been vindicated by history!
    It wasn't Berman that wrecked Star Trek, it was that fiend Les Moonves who always hated Star Trek, and sci fi in general, until he needed it to launch CBS All Access then all of a sudden all BFF with Star Trek. And he tried to keep Star Trek from being reunited via CBS and Paramount merger. Good riddance to Les Moonves, aka the Gul Dukat of CBS.
    edited December 2019
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    The only real Star Trek for me is that created by Gene or Rick. ^^
    > @snowwolf#0563 said:
    > The only real Star Trek for me is that created by Gene or Rick. ^^

Which is another reason why we need Rick back in the Captains chair, to reunify Star Trek.
    Bermanga (as one critic portmanteaued them) were responsible for such classic, beloved Trek episodes as VOY:"Threshold" and ENT:"These Are the Voyages". They also drove off Ron Moore, who cut his writing teeth on TNG and really came into his own during DS9 (which I don't know if a couple of you are aware, but that was run by Ira Behr, not Bermanga), during the run of VOY.

ENT gets watched on Netflix mostly because you can watch specific episodes like "Twilight" or "In a Mirror Darkly", while ignoring TRIBBLE like "Storm Front" or "A Night In Sickbay" or "Regeneration" or...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    How about you don't listen to Space!Alex Jones for a change?

Because some people like a good laugh. Some people just don't recognize the comedic value of Alex Jones and Midnight's Edge.
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    > @jonsills said:
    > Bermanga (as one critic portmanteaued them) were responsible for such classic, beloved Trek episodes as VOY:"Threshold" and ENT:"These Are the Voyages". They also drove off Ron Moore, who cut his writing teeth on TNG and really came into his own during DS9 (which I don't know if a couple of you are aware, but that was run by Ira Behr, not Bermanga), during the run of VOY.

Yes Behr and Moore are incredibly talented and DS9 is probably the peak of the scifi genre let alone just Trek. But there would not have been a Deep Space Nine if it weren't for Berman. His era of Trek is by far the best and the true golden age of the franchise.

There are significantly more good episodes of Voyager and even Enterprise than those two. Though yes the two you listed are... unfortunate.

I'm curious as to why you seem to have such a dislike of the 90s stuff?
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @lordgyor said:
    > If you watched the the video I provided you'd already know I know that already.

Just a thought, maybe I don't want to give that lying clickbait-peddling targh puqloD the ad revenue from watching it.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Honestly I’d prefer fresh eyes on Star Trek.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,493 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Berman and Braga were known as the "killer B's" in some fan circles mainly because of Berman's tendency to turn everything into a low-key procedural (think CSI), even going so far as to instruct the actors playing humans to perform it in a flat and dull way to make the aliens seem "quirkier" and Braga went along with it. The early part of Voyager was the best example of this, until Garret Wang kicked up such a fuss in the media about it that they toned down the dull a bit.

Also, Birman had a tendency to ignore the concept for each series, and morph it to a vanilla TNG format to play it safe. In fact, TNG itself had, in the planning stages, a rather complex parallel format similar to the Macross city-with-detachable-battleship setup which is why when it was flattened to a normal cruiser setup after the pilot they had redundant cast to deal with, along with others (mainly Wesley) who had their part combined with others (Wesley was supposed to be the leader of a kind of Wiz-Kids style youth gang that was dropped so he became the Marty Stu everyone hated as they gave him all the stuff that would have been spread out in that nerdgang).

And Voyager quickly went from being a survival story where the Federation equivalent of an Arleigh Burke guided missile destroyer was dumped decades away from the kind of fleet support it needed, short of the fuel it needed for its fast but finicky engines and low on their main armament (torpedoes), with the survivors of two enemy crews forced to work with each other and all the drama that entails, to the typical TNG alien freak of the week format that largely ignored the other factors.

Now, it is possible that Berman might help balance out the weird group Moonves gathered for his un-Trek Trek series but this late in the game it that move might make more trouble than it solves.
  • skhcskhc Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    Do you want to know why we had Abrams Trek where Kirk goes from cadet to captain, they TRIBBLE all over The Wrath of Khan, and the lens flares cut the eyes out of your head?

Do you want to know why we have the confused mess that is Discovery? As well as several other series which have equal possibility of being confused messes in the pipeline?

Do you want to know why Alex "I really wish I was making Star Wars with JJ instead" Kurtzman got in the door?

Because of Rick Berman and Brannon Braga and their horrible freak mutant baby called Enterprise. Not to mention Nemesis. They nearly killed the IP in the mid 2000s. Neither of them should be allowed near it again.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    I don't want to minimize his contributions to Star Trek, but from what I heard about the way he treated Terry Farrel when she wanted to reduce her screen time to pursue other gigs, he was a TRIBBLE, probably because he was a misogynist. And I'd rather not want someone like that involved with Star Trek anymore ,unless I'd known he had undergone significant personal growth in that area.
    Dax performer Terry Farrell herself however, has described Berman in The Fifty-Year Mission: The Next 25 Years as a misogynist who frequently criticized her appearance. "The problems with my leaving were with Rick Berman. In my opinion, he's just very misogynistic. He'd comment on your bra size not being voluptuous. His secretary had a 36C or something like that, and he would say something about 'Well, you’re just, like, flat. Look at Christine over there. She has the perfect TRIBBLE right there.' That’s the kind of conversation he would have in front of you. I had to have fittings for Dax to have larger TRIBBLE. I think it was double-D or something. I went to see a woman who fits bras for women who need mastectomies; I had to have that fitting. And then I had to go into his office. Michael Piller didn't care about those things, so he wasn’t there when you were having all of these crazy fittings with Rick Berman criticizing your hair or how big your TRIBBLE were or weren't. That stuff was so intense, especially the first couple of years."
    (There is also some stuff on there to his defense, but it mostly focuses on the work he did to keep the show running, not any personal failings.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited December 2019
    Sexist remarks redacted. -- WingedHussar
    Post edited by wingedhussar#7584 on
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Response to moderated post redacted. -- WingedHussar
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited December 2019
  • skhcskhc Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    edited December 2019
    Response to moderated posts redacted. -- WingedHussar
    edited December 2019
    Moderated comments redacted. -- WingedHussar

Either way, there is still a significant chance that bringing in Berman would, instead of improving things, actually lead to a worst of both worlds situation of Berman's dull procedural layered on top of the action movie framework DSC uses. Also, the squabbling between the two sides could fracture what little progress they have made in trying to resolve the compatibility problems between DSC and TOS and the others on top of that.

Birman has not shown any notable skill at weaving dissimilar things like DSC and the rest of Trek together smoothly, he tends to drag it into the formula TNG used by brute force instead and mostly ignore the ragged bloody edges that leaves behind.

What they actually need is someone who can handle a not so perfectly merged worlds format like comics have been for quite a few decades now, since Trek has been around so long under different production teams it has become a bit like that, and who has a proven ability to handle science-fiction, like for instance Straczynski if they could get him.
    edited December 2019
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    edited December 2019
    Guys? Report, don't respond. If I have to step in here again, I'm just going to close the thread.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    ohh yes...after watching through B5, i'd like to see what straczynski could do with star trek, even if it's just one single episode​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Straczynski’s Star Trek pitch is online
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    edited December 2019
    Straczynski's reboot idea is a good read, it actually analyzes Star Trek itself and builds on what made TOS such a phenomenon instead of just the knee-jerk 'copy Star Wars' method that Abrams did with the Kelvin stuff (and which Berman did to a far lesser, but still noticeable, degree with the close-range sublight combat and heavy use of the impulse drives which were rarely used in TOS).

In case anyone is interested in reading it:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5pYsyQJx6f4Q084YTFiWFoxdjA/view

edited December 2019
    Close-range sublight combat was featured in Balance of Terror and Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country.
    Your pain runs deep.
    edited December 2019
    In TOS the combat was generally conducted between warp two and four and the average range was 40,000km according to dialog (back in the day people with too much time on their hands worked it all out from the dialogs), and they have fought at ranges up to 90,000km. And Kirk was apparently fond of getting closer than usual before opening fire, in one episode another captain made a remark about him waiting so long to fire.

That is a far cry from TNG where they conducted the occasional chase combat in warp but everything else was sublight and close enough that the ships could easily see each other without magnification.