test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

need help with a popup

nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
some loser invited me to a fleet just as I was changing toons. now this craptastic popup is stuck.

sto.jpg

I have logged out, I have switched characters it's freaking stuck in the middle of my screen.
they should make the neverending unsolicited fleet invites punishable
u7acy6aymfw7.gif
We Need BERETS in the tailor
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    Probably have to restart the game itself.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    some loser invited me to a fleet just as I was changing toons. now this craptastic popup is stuck.

I have logged out, I have switched characters it's freaking stuck in the middle of my screen.
    Have you tried pressing the 'decline' button on the original toon?

Also Social Menu / Privacy Button at lower right / brings up new menu:

epcdgbb.jpg
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    If the suggestions above do not work, maybe try pressing F12 and remove the notification box if that's possible?
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    can't you X out of it? That or just close the game client.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    can't you X out of it? That or just close the game client.

Its possible that the OP CAN'T X out of it because technically there is nothing to X out of. If they got whammied as they were switching, then the invite for the previous character might be basically locked there. And since they are seeing this on a different character than the one that the invite was intended for, recieved right as they were switching, it probably got stuck in a loop or something.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »

Have you tried pressing the 'decline' button on the original toon?

Also Social Menu / Privacy Button at lower right / brings up new menu:

epcdgbb.jpg

ty i was not aware of that control.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
  • havlockehavlocke Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I actually had somebody deliberately do this to me. I called him out when he afk'ed a TFO and he sent me an invite to a private TFO and then logged out so the pop up stayed open permanently.

The only solution I found was to get a friend to invite me to ANOTHER private TFO and that cleared it.

In your case, I'd get somebody to invite you to a fleet, any fleet, and that might clear up your popup.
  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    Just noticed this thread. I'm passing this on to the Community Team as a bug/griefing tool to look at.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
    I not only had to shut STO down, but I ended up rebooting the computer to get rid of it.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    Ouch... that's serious...
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    I not only had to shut STO down, but I ended up rebooting the computer to get rid of it.

did you try signing back into the game before you restarted your computer or only after?
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    This seems to be a lot of unnecessary drama over a simple invite.

did you try signing back into the game before you restarted your computer or only after?

switched toons, signed out sighed in, shut the client down. nothing changed it. I finally decided I'd reboot and them uninstall if that didn't work
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif

really? you try playing with the damn invite stuck in the middle of your screen.. or are you just too lazy to have read the thread at all?
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User
    He isn't worth it kim. just another forum keyboard commando. glad you got back in game
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine

really? you try playing with the damn invite stuck in the middle of your screen.. or are you just too lazy to have read the thread at all?
    Having to shut down your game and reboot your computer *is* a lot of unnecessary drama to fix a simple stuck invite.

If I was too lazy to have read the thread I wouldn't have posted the photo showing you how to change your settings to prevent it from happening again.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    That seems to be a bug, and a serious one, if you have t restart your PC to get rid of it, i recommend you post this in the bug forum, so the devs can take a look at it, as a bug, it can be exploited, and no one wants that
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    gaevsman wrote: »
    That seems to be a bug, and a serious one, if you have t restart your PC to get rid of it, i recommend you post this in the bug forum, so the devs can take a look at it, as a bug, it can be exploited, and no one wants that

He doesn't have to. Wingedhussar already shot it to the Devs directly as this was actually used as a Griefing tool. Not only that, we just heard the EXTENT the OP had to go to in order to just play the game normally after this kind of Griefing. This isn't just a bug, this could go up to harassment or wrose on the part of the perp who did it. It was a concious act against another player to disrupt their ability to play the game. And it did so rather spectacularly, causing the OP to have to restart his entire PC just to go back to normal gameplay. That is something that must be addressed as more than just a bug report, and should be addressed ASAP because if he knows about it, and actually weaponized it like that, pretty good bet others have as well. Its just we haven't heard about this until now.
    Just noticed this thread. I'm passing this on to the Community Team as a bug/griefing tool to look at.

This isn't really an exploitable or weaponized (lol) bug as if you have your settings correct as neither fleet invites nor team invites wouldn't affect a player in any way if they have their settings correct. Private challenges were already removed from the game. TFO invites may be a different story if not covered under team invites. You can access your team invite status from the social menu 'LFT Settings' (beside the privacy button, as pictured above) or from the chat window.

KccYjV0.jpg

switched toons, signed out sighed in, shut the client down. nothing changed it. I finally decided I'd reboot and them uninstall if that didn't work

0_o deer sweet merciful Q Continuum that's not good. I will let them know the reboot is what it took to clear it.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

@protoneous drop it. You don't know nearly what you think you do in regards to this bug or how it could be cheesed. Even then you are derailing a legitimate thread and should quit while you're ahead. There are reasons my cohort passed this issue up the chain and reasons I have been monitoring the situation. It should not be taking a full on computer restart to clear something like that, or any window in the game.

• kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    This bug has been around forever. I had this happen years ago, it's how I learned about the privacy settings.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I had that happen years ago. Just wouldn't go away. Can't remember how I eventually got rid of it but did.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • havlockehavlocke Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    In my case it was definitely used as a griefing tool. And just as an added insult, I had him on ignore, and he was still able to "invite me" to a private TFO and cause this perma pop up. I did report it at the time but I'm not sure if anything was done. They might pay more attention to it if it comes from here.

Please note, I didn't know about the privacy settings until I read this thread so I'm not sure if that would have prevented it. But it was done to me even though I had him on ignore, which I thought was even more troubling.
    @protoneous drop it. You don't know nearly what you think you do in regards to this bug or how it could be cheesed. Even then you are derailing a legitimate thread and should quit while you're ahead. There are reasons my cohort passed this issue up the chain and reasons I have been monitoring the situation. It should not be taking a full on computer restart to clear something like that, or any window in the game.
    @darkbladejk drop what? I've posted 2 photos in this thread that show 2 different posters (one being the OP) ways they can possibly prevent themselves from re-experiencing the situation they've found themselves in with respect to fleet and team invites via in-game settings. TFO invites weren't covered.

I'm thankful that you and your fellow moderators are so knowledgeable and appreciate the fact that you yourself are involved in a variety of in-game testing, bug hunting, and other things you can't mention that makes life better for all of us . Yes, there may very well be ways that this bug could be 'cheesed' that I'm not aware of.

I did notice your cohort passing it up the chain and do realize you're monitoring this thread as well.

I've had the OP's bug happen to me and it's been around for quite a while. I just rebooted... then changed my in-game settings. If there's a way to get a fleet invite with fleet invitations turned off then yes, that is over my head, but wasn't the case for the OP.
    Even then you are derailing a legitimate thread and should quit while you're ahead.
    I consider my comments in this thread valid, not derailing.

I'm not trying to minimize, dismiss, or make light of what you and your cohort are trying to achieve. My focus was on getting in-game settings right first and my opinion was and is that perhaps they could be of some help, specifically with the OP's fleet invite issue as the OP wasn't aware of that particular setting.

If my last comment above appeared to be counter to what you're trying to achieve here, you have my apologies.
    edited November 2019
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    @darkbladejk drop what? I've posted 2 photos in this thread that show 2 different posters (one being the OP) ways they can possibly prevent themselves from re-experiencing the situation they've found themselves in with respect to fleet and team invites via in-game settings. TFO invites weren't covered.

I'm thankful that you and your fellow moderators are so knowledgeable and appreciate the fact that you yourself are involved in a variety of in-game testing, bug hunting, and other things you can't mention that makes life better for all of us . Yes, there may very well be ways that this bug could be 'cheesed' that I'm not aware of.

I did notice your cohort passing it up the chain and do realize you're monitoring this thread as well.

I've had the OP's bug happen to me and it's been around for quite a while. I just rebooted... then changed my in-game settings. If there's a way to get a fleet invite with fleet invitations turned off then yes, that is over my head, but wasn't the case for the OP.
    Even then you are derailing a legitimate thread and should quit while you're ahead.
    I consider my comments in this thread valid, not derailing.

I'm not trying to minimize, dismiss, or make light of what you and your cohort are trying to achieve. My focus was on getting in-game settings right first and my opinion was and is that perhaps they could be of some help, specifically with the OP's fleet invite issue as the OP wasn't aware of that particular setting.

If my last comment above appeared to be counter to what you're trying to achieve here, you have my apologies.

I think what @darkbladejk means is that this should not happen on the first place, of course there is a way to prevent that from happening, but when you are new to the game, well, it will affect you a lot, i have disabled every single social interaction that i can, including chat, but new people, well, they are alone on this, besides, haven to reboot your PC to get rid of that is, well, a show stopper bug, actually
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    edited November 2019
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    @protoneous if I have misunderstood you then for that I apologize. Text only communication is extremely limited and does not allow for the queues normally present with other forms of comms. With that said, there are ways this can be cheesed that I can't discuss here for obvious reasons. Normally we would have moved this thread to the bug reporting section already but this is one of those rare times we make an exception to that rule if you catch my drift.

@gaevsman is ultimately correct. If it takes a computer restart to clear that window and the likes of closing the game completely doesn't clear it, that's indicative to me of a much larger problem potentially. If it's as simple as just closing the game and restarting it, that's one thing, but a complete restart of the entire computer itself is something else. We've had variations of this bug before where it simply required restarting the game to clear it, or simply logging out of the toon and back in, but never to the point that it required a full on restart of the entire computer. Either way the issue will get fixed, it's just a matter of how and when.

Before I picked up the bug hunting and moderating gig I did alot of modding and map making for older games like Star Trek Armada II, Timesplitters Future Perfect, and similar games. In fact some of my levels for Timesplitters were EA recommended for weeks at a time. I also work quite a bit with computers and have done a bit of freelance repair work on computers before. I say this not to toot my own horn but to give a bit of background in regards to my experience. I also tend to be a perfectionist with my own work as well, sometimes going a bit overboard. In fact it was this experience with modding and seeing alot of backend things with various games as to why I was picked up as a bug hunter to start with. I also tend to think very technically when it comes to computers and issues in game and always try to follow every rabbit hole as deep as it will go and apply that same level of perfectionism to my bug hunting here as I do to my own stuff. I don't like bugs in my own stuff and I know the devs don't like bugs in their product either, especially potentially serious ones like this one. Having to restart your entire rig for something like this is not normal under any circumstances.

gaevsman wrote: »
    ... this should not happen on the first place, of course there is a way to prevent that from happening, but when you are new to the game, well, it will affect you a lot, i have disabled every single social interaction that i can, including chat, but new people, well, they are alone on this, besides, haven to reboot your PC to get rid of that is, well, a show stopper bug, actually
    I agree it shouldn't have happened in the first place. But fleet invites are normally something you can decline unless 'bad timing' happens as above. What happened to the OP first happened to me years ago.

Let me share with you why I'm pushing back a bit on using colorful terms similar to sweet-merciful-god, make-into-a-weapon, etc. to describe this old fleet invite bug (and to a extent the team invite function) and the effort it takes to get out of it once every not-so-often if you haven't got your settings right. No disrespect is intended to the OP or the CM's monitoring this thread.

You may have disabled every social interaction you can and the choice to do so is yours. Mine are wide open. Players have a right to not have their game play unduly disturbed and shouldn't have to reboot to clear an in-game window.

I'm frankly afraid that yet more game social settings that promote getting people together will be changed to OFF by default. I don't think that is what the game needs.

STO is still a MMO until it isn't. Queues are team play. There is a fleet system. Just my 2 EC.
This discussion has been closed.