test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Discovery ships lacking science ships, how about a Medical Frigate?

captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
Ok, looking at the U.S.S. Hiawatha NCC-815, eaglemoss model (the ship was shown, although it was a wreck in the Discovery episode it was introduce in), it kind of looks like a cross between a freighter and a cruise ship. But hey, it's a (relatively speaking) science vessel, a very rare thing to see in Discovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyV_c3MqS8U

It looks larger than a frigate for sure, but it's classified as a 'medical frigate'.

Since it was introduced in the second season of Discovery, would we be able to get one when the Second Season content is released in STO?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    Would look cool as a pure carrier in my opinion. 90% of carriers don't have anywhere obvious that their fighters actually come from, but those big pod things could work nicely.
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    Whatever type of ship it is, in theory it would not last two seconds in combat because it is a soapbubble. The SFX and props in the episode show it is very thin-skinned and instead of exotic futuristic materials, the dialog says quite clearly that the hull is made of titanium, not futuristic super-materials like tritanium or duranium. Even the Oberth is supposed to have a tritanium hull, even if it is a thin civilian grade one. Once the shields go down it would be one-shot toast even without a "lucky shot".

Of course, it could have been some kind of merchantman converted into a rear-area utility ship of some sort that got caught by a rapid shift in battle lines or something. In fact Reno fits the stereotype of a tramp freighter engineer rather well which would fit right in with that scenario.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I would prefer something cooler looking, but I am not sure there is anything Discovery related left.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Whatever type of ship it is, in theory it would not last two seconds in combat because it is a soapbubble. The SFX and props in the episode show it is very thin-skinned and instead of exotic futuristic materials, the dialog says quite clearly that the hull is made of titanium, not futuristic super-materials like tritanium or duranium. Even the Oberth is supposed to have a tritanium hull, even if it is a thin civilian grade one. Once the shields go down it would be one-shot toast even without a "lucky shot".

Of course, it could have been some kind of merchantman converted into a rear-area utility ship of some sort that got caught by a rapid shift in battle lines or something. In fact Reno fits the stereotype of a tramp freighter engineer rather well which would fit right in with that scenario.
    Obviously, we'd be flying some Tier 6 Replica/Retrofit. I tcan be made of any plotunium alloy required for the 25th century.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I would prefer something cooler looking, but I am not sure there is anything Discovery related left.

Yea... I think we've pretty much exhausted all the Fed and Klingon ships, except for that one little bullet shaped Klingon ship. So unless we get that bundled with a T6 Malachouski, not sure what else is left.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Yea... I think we've pretty much exhausted all the Fed and Klingon ships, except for that one little bullet shaped Klingon ship. So unless we get that bundled with a T6 Malachouski, not sure what else is left.
    You mean the pinecones that get used as freighters in Riposte?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Yea. I believe in Binary Stars they were light cruisers or frigates.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Ok, looking at the U.S.S. Hiawatha NCC-815, eaglemoss model (the ship was shown, although it was a wreck in the Discovery episode it was introduce in), it kind of looks like a cross between a freighter and a cruise ship. But hey, it's a (relatively speaking) science vessel, a very rare thing to see in Discovery.

It looks larger than a frigate for sure, but it's classified as a 'medical frigate'.

Since it was introduced in the second season of Discovery, would we be able to get one when the Second Season content is released in STO?

Looks like the mining ship from ST Armada 2 o.o
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User

Looks like the mining ship from ST Armada 2 o.o

Captain: So you snuck aboard to get a free cruise, huh? Well just your luck, you can pay it off by working here.

Castaway: Washing dishes?

Captain: No, no. You see, not only is this a cruise ship, it's a mining ship too. So, off to work you go!
This discussion has been closed.