test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Patch 11/21 - Crashes at Cryptic loading screen

davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
edited November 2019 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, version 1903, intel i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, nvidia GTX 980ti, (driver 416.34 and 441.20) SSDs. Using Steam to launch it.

I haven't had any issues this year with STO, but after it patched today it crashes every time shortly after Engage, while loading at the black Cryptic window before the switch to the choose-your-character screen. It pops up a window with a code to pass on to support, edfb2, edfba, ...

I updated my nivida drivers to the November release 441.20, but it still crashes at the start of loading. e4fd0 ....

I don't see a Windows "this program has stopped responding" crash message, just Cryptic's own new crash ID thing.

Comments

• Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    Have you tried the standard repair/force verify option on the launcher options?

Additionally, make note of the crash ID and details and contact support. If the force verify doesnt work give them the crash report details and ID.

Apart from that the only thing you can do is compltely uninstall and reinstall the game to see if that makes a difference.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up doing this:

> Apart from that the only thing you can do is compltely uninstall and reinstall the game to see if that makes a difference.

... but by doing a fresh install using Arc. I've been using the Steam launcher since 2012 but mostly out of habit.

The Arc install runs without crashing, so the patcher probably did corrupt my steam install.
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up doing this:

> Apart from that the only thing you can do is compltely uninstall and reinstall the game to see if that makes a difference.

... but by doing a fresh install using Arc. I've been using the Steam launcher since 2012 but mostly out of habit.

The Arc install runs without crashing, so the patcher probably did corrupt my steam install.

Hmmm, interesting. Well, at least you can get ingame now :)
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    nucburnnucburn Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Hello guys, I wrote one bug report to Cryptic and they told me to update driver because old driver uses WDDM 1.1 and after November patch we need for driver with WDDM 2.3. I tested the the game (Steam Launcher) on another PC with GeForce videocard and WDDM 1.1 and game works very well. I will try to start game through ARC launcher and i will if there are some problems. If you have additional suggestions I will be happy to see it. :-)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    nucburn wrote: »
    Hello guys, I wrote one bug report to Cryptic and they told me to update driver because old driver uses WDDM 1.1 and after November patch we need for driver with WDDM 2.3. I tested the the game (Steam Launcher) on another PC with GeForce videocard and WDDM 1.1 and game works very well. I will try to start game through ARC launcher and i will if there are some problems. If you have additional suggestions I will be happy to see it. :-)

To stay with Steam you can try the Force Verify. At the first popup where you enter your password and click ENGAGE, go to the top-right of the window where you see Options. Click that and check the checkbox to Force Verify. Then click Engage.

• Options
    nucburnnucburn Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    nucburn wrote: »

To stay with Steam you can try the Force Verify. At the first popup where you enter your password and click ENGAGE, go to the top-right of the window where you see Options. Click that and check the checkbox to Force Verify. Then click Engage.

Thanks I will try and after that i will tell you what's happened.
  • Options
    kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    That's interesting. I have ONLY been using ARC since they switched to it years ago, and I'm coming up on my 4th week of crashing. It would be nice if some dev popped in to say something about this, but the old days of that are looooong gone...

:/
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • Options
    kain9prime wrote: »
    That's interesting. I have ONLY been using ARC since they switched to it years ago, and I'm coming up on my 4th week of crashing. It would be nice if some dev popped in to say something about this, but the old days of that are looooong gone...

Did you do a force verify?

The next patch messed up my Arc install just like the one before did to Steam, but a Force Verify did fix it.

The patcher seems unreliable lately.

• Options
    edited December 2019

The next patch messed up my Arc install just like the one before did to Steam, but a Force Verify did fix it.

Yup, I've done it 3 times since the "new an' improved!" update last month. Last time I did it was today.

Zero fixes.

• Options
    logang19logang19 Member Posts: 13,843 Arc User
    Ok I’m so annoyed. I’ve reset the game reloaded it tried arc and steam forced verified updated my laptop and then they told me it was a bug on their end and they aren’t really doing anything about it. I am beyond frustrated at this point. I really don’t know what else to do. Everything is updated and everything had ran good till the patch a few weeks ago. Support now is basically ignoring me and won’t respond either. I hate saying it but it seems like I’m going to have to give up this game if they don’t make a huge turn around.
    " Now the gate has been unlatched headstones pushed aside; corpses shift and offer room ,a fate you must abide."
  • Options
    logang19 wrote: »
    Ok I’m so annoyed. I’ve reset the game reloaded it tried arc and steam forced verified updated my laptop and then they told me it was a bug on their end and they aren’t really doing anything about it. I am beyond frustrated at this point. I really don’t know what else to do. Everything is updated and everything had ran good till the patch a few weeks ago. Support now is basically ignoring me and won’t respond either. I hate saying it but it seems like I’m going to have to give up this game if they don’t make a huge turn around.

Did you update your video card drivers? Apparently old drivers is another cause of the crash at startup along with the corrupted patching.

• Options
    > @davefenestrator said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Did you update your video card drivers? Apparently old drivers is another cause of the crash at startup along with the corrupted patching.

Yep everything is updated even after having them check the computer logs I sent them to make sure.
    " Now the gate has been unlatched headstones pushed aside; corpses shift and offer room ,a fate you must abide."
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    > @davefenestrator said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Did you update your video card drivers? Apparently old drivers is another cause of the crash at startup along with the corrupted patching.

Yep everything is updated even after having them check the computer logs I sent them to make sure.

Are you overclocking your CPU, RAM or video card? You might try setting everything to stock speed and then doing one more force verify.

Also right-click on your hard drive in Explorer, select Properties, Tools, Error Checking and see if it says there is no need to check your disk.
  • Options
    kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    > @davefenestrator said:
    > (Quote)
    >

Considering they have told people running Win8 or Win7 to update their Win10 drivers I wouldn't exactly trust that they would correctly tell you that your graphics drivers are up to date.

When you did Force verify did you turn on demand patching off as if you don't it skips files? Have you tried just running the stand alone launcher? If you have a onboard intel gpu have you tried the solution at the end of this thread? https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1252120/game-crash-report/p3
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    kain9prime wrote: »

Yup, I've done it 3 times since the "new an' improved!" update last month. Last time I did it was today.

Zero fixes.

Same here. Checked to ensure everything is up to date for my system, force verified, updated Steam and tried to log in from there, submitted crash/bug reports to support, made sure Arc was up to date, uninstalling and reinstalling via both clients, etc,etc,

Same result. Still crashing at the title screen (with the magic mushroom planet in the background).

At this point, I've pretty much said "to hell with it" and moved on.

• Options
    > @oldravenman3025 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    >
    >
    > Same here. Checked to ensure everything is up to date for my system, force verified, updated Steam and tried to log in from there, submitted crash/bug reports to support, made sure Arc was up to date, uninstalling and reinstalling via both clients, etc,etc,
    >
    >
    > Same result. Still crashing at the title screen (with the magic mushroom planet in the background).
    >
    >
    > At this point, I've pretty much said "to hell with it" and moved on.

> @oldravenman3025 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    >
    >
    > Same here. Checked to ensure everything is up to date for my system, force verified, updated Steam and tried to log in from there, submitted crash/bug reports to support, made sure Arc was up to date, uninstalling and reinstalling via both clients, etc,etc,
    >
    >
    > Same result. Still crashing at the title screen (with the magic mushroom planet in the background).
    >
    >
    > At this point, I've pretty much said "to hell with it" and moved on.

Yeah I basically had support tell me well everything on your computer looks good we know it’s a bug on our end but your screwed cause we aren’t going to fix it or do anything to help you.
  • Options
    fabiosnfcfabiosnfc Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    The Crash continous........Only runs in the Windows 10 ? And other old Windows programs......?
  • Options
    If you're still running Windows 7, end of life is next month.

You can still get a free legal upgrade to 10 from Microsoft, search for articles about how they only pretended to stop offering that.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Uninstalled and reinstalled.

STILL CRASHING since last month's "new an' improved!" patch.

Any acknowledgement from devs?

NOPE.

...I basically had support tell me well everything on your computer looks good we know it’s a bug on our end but your screwed cause we aren’t going to fix it or do anything to help you.
    Wow, that's pretty effed up. If 40% or more people had this problem, you bet they would be on it day and night until it worked. I've been on this game since Feb 2010. At the very least, have a dev post of pic giving us the bird instead of avoiding our posts.

• Options
    > @kain9prime said:
    > Uninstalled and reinstalled.
    >
    >
    > STILL CRASHING since last month's "new an' improved!" patch.
    >
    >
    > Any acknowledgement from devs?
    >
    >
    > NOPE.
    >
    > (Quote)
    > Wow, that's pretty effed up. If 40% or more people had this problem, you bet they would be on it day and night until it worked. I've been on this game since Feb 2010. At the very least, have a dev post of pic giving us the bird instead of avoiding our posts.
    >
    > :/

Exactly! I sent an escalation request from them and now it’s been about 2 weeks since I’ve heard from them. It’s sad cause I’ve played since launch and to have them act like this. I guess it’s time to find a new game but I hate it cause I have a lot of friends on this game still.
  • Options
    Did you both see this? Some games don't like overclocking even when it seems stable:

Are you overclocking your CPU, RAM or video card? You might try setting everything to stock speed and then doing one more force verify.

Also right-click on your hard drive in Explorer, select Properties, Tools, Error Checking and see if it says there is no need to check your disk.
  • Options
    I have everything set to factory and have never changed any settings on it. I may look at it again. At this point I’m so upset with how they are treating people I almost don’t want to play. It’s just frustrating.
  • Options
    Something else to check:

Are you using security software that is NOT Microsoft's, that is something from AVG, Avast, Norton/Symantec, Kaspersky?

Security suites can mess with running programs and with network traffic.
  • Options
    No I’m just using Windows defender I don’t have any purchased software.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    Aside from selecting "Force Verify" next time Launcher Starts also select OPTIONS and make sure "On Demand Patching" is not selected.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,464 Arc User
    I have another recommendation start the game in Safe Mode and then tweak the settings to your own specifications in-game.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    Already done both of those. None of it worked either. For me or the others I’ve tried helping with it.
  • Options
    Just an FYI reset the settings checked the hard drive for errors and did everything again. Still doesn’t work I would say I’m surprised but
  • Options
    Did you both see this? Some games don't like overclocking even when it seems stable:

I don't think so. I had this issue way back when they implemented Season 4: Misfire. Couldn't log in for almost a year. Champions worked fine and is still running with no problems. The last time the issue had to do with something dealing with voice chat, which I never use. Somehow I cancelled that and the game worked fine up until last November when they did this effed up "improvement."
    Didn't have this option that's in bold.

• Options
    sthe91 wrote: »
    I have another recommendation start the game in Safe Mode and then tweak the settings to your own specifications in-game.
    Tried it, but it still crashed.