test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Beam Overload & Pets - Spartan

foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
Morning Everyone

I stumbled across this thread on reddit this morning (West Australian here, gday mates :) )

Specifically it was Spartan answering a query about Pets and Beam Overload and a small insight into how they are supposed to work. Additionally it has Spartan just asking generally if anything seems weird to get information to her just in case there might be issues.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/duos5b/weekly_questions_megathread_november_11_2019/f835b2d/?context=3:

The original statement was made by Sizer714 on Reddit

Pet AI was revamped. A lot of cannon ships now know how to actually fly. Peregrines are nasty customers. BO on pets is actually really, really bad. 50 power. Think about it.

CrypticSpartan responded

/u/originalbucky33 was kind enough to link this comment to me, and I don't think testing will verify that Beam Overload is bad on hangar pets. If I understand your comment to be referencing the increased weapons power drain, it might change your mind to know that energy weapons only drain weapons power when fired by a player. If Beam Overload is a bad thing for hangar pets to activate or be granted, that's an issue I would like to know about and look into, and if there's some other reason, I'd also appreciate knowing.

Before you ask, weapons power still does influence the damage dealt by non-player energy weapons, for the purposes of Emergency Power to Weapons, Energy Siphon, etc.

Thought it best to let everyone know about a small area of the game as well as an additional insight :)
pjxgwS8.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    so...power drain doesn't exist for NPCs? no wonder drain builds don't do TRIBBLE against them - and this is why NPCs not following the rules players have to is an incredibly TRIBBLE design decision, in any game​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > so...power drain doesn't exist for NPCs? no wonder drain builds don't do TRIBBLE against them - and this is why NPCs not following the rules players have to is an incredibly TRIBBLE design decision, in any game​​

How in the world did you jump from a comment Spartan made about BO power drain on pets that use BO to drain builds against NPCs.

Spartan mentioned nothing specifically about player drain builds against NPC power levels
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    so...power drain doesn't exist for NPCs? no wonder drain builds don't do TRIBBLE against them - and this is why NPCs not following the rules players have to is an incredibly TRIBBLE design decision, in any game​​

You're way off base here. Power drain definitely works on NPCs, and always has. It has gotten less effective over the years, but it still works.

As for pets, I'm not entirely sure that cannon pets are really that much improved. I've been playing with my old Alita and its trait for giving pets CRF when I use CRF, along with Peregrines. It seems very hit or miss as to whether it works well or not depending on where the Peregrines are in their attack runs. I think it would be better to change how these kinds of traits work so that a hangar pet gets say at least a guaranteed 2 volleys with CRF or whatever, whether it takes them 8 seconds to do it or 16.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Interesting that they say "a lot of cannon pets" seems to hint that cannon pet ai is different for each one.

Certainly follows the theme of beam pets that can be wildly different when it comes to combat from the rommie drones or vangaurd jem pets who actively hunt. Or the sluggish yukawa's who refuse to keep up with the carrier between fights. Or vorgons who begin to spam mines when they're 15km away from an enemy and the player has just selected a target dropping everyone into combat in the process.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Interesting that they say "a lot of cannon pets" seems to hint that cannon pet ai is different for each one.

Certainly follows the theme of beam pets that can be wildly different when it comes to combat from the rommie drones or vangaurd jem pets who actively hunt. Or the sluggish yukawa's who refuse to keep up with the carrier between fights. Or vorgons who begin to spam mines when they're 15km away from an enemy and the player has just selected a target dropping everyone into combat in the process.
    Spartan has said in the past that each pet has it's own AI.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Eh, my stance on the matter is that I am quite amused by watching my dozen fighter pets melt/finish off targets that are out of range when I trigger Coordinated Assault on my Silik. Sometimes I'll even burn BO when nothing is in range yet explicitly because I know my fighters will be able to chew through a target before I close the distance. It's really nice for finishing off those random periphery frigates that everyone forgets about during the BZ bonus waves after clearing it. It would be silly if they packed as much punch as a proper ship did(it's crazy enough that my SCI-captain's Silik punches for 200-400k every time it salvos), but en-mass with the current scale feels just fine for the fighters when they're all overloading.
This discussion has been closed.