test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Power Creep, Issues, and a Solution...

2»

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    There would be advantages to additional launchers on the sides like the Akira has since the extra time it would take torpedoes to turn and track a target to the side gives the target an extra few seconds to use countermeasures of some sort, but it is rather niche. Also, the catapults kicking to the sides could cause trouble if the thrusters are not strong enough to compensate or they are busy from tight combat maneuvers already or other possible problems from providing a patch in the shields with stable phasing to allow the torpedoes though or whatever (the STFC designers did not really think it through).

Going way back to TOS, forward torpedoes would piggyback on the main deflector beam to get a little extra speed, a little perk none of the other arcs would have, so it gave the enemy less response time to counter it.

STO is mainly set up for the most common configurations, though it has systems to handle others to some degree. There are at least three different wide angle launchers (one of them is a chroniton launcher from a rep) which could simulate the side-facing tubes well enough for instance, and those could be mounted one in front, one in back for full coverage with one left over.

The pilot ships can even simulate the weird DS9 kitbash ship that had impulse engines mounted on its sides in addition to the rear ones in fact, and that is a really obscure ship so you could even say STO is a bit ahead of the curve for niche concepts like the Akira uses with its side launchers.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Speaking of torpedoes turning, STO actually has ships with their torpedo firing points facing sideways. The torpedoes will fly out to the side and then turn to fly forward or back.

Funny thing, unless you used an actual wide-angle torpedo item, those torpedoes will then be unable to fire straight, they HAVE to turn forward or back. :D
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    warpangel wrote: »
    Speaking of torpedoes turning, STO actually has ships with their torpedo firing points facing sideways.

The Solanae Carrier?
    Also I believe the Phantom has a rear torpedo that shoots straight down...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    Speaking of torpedoes turning, STO actually has ships with their torpedo firing points facing sideways.

The Solanae Carrier?
    Also I believe the Phantom has a rear torpedo that shoots straight down...
    And at least one of the jem'hadar vanguard ships.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    i think the original Jemnaught carrier fires torpedoes that way
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    The Vorgon carrier also spits torps from the sides.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Didn't the Bulwark have a torp thay can fire sideways too?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    It has a 180° Torpedo.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    it's amusing that everyone assumes it from a 10 second torpedo spread in STFC. but that nonsense aside,
    if you want a dedicated torpedo hardpoint then for the love of all thats's holy you need to add ammunition.

That spread shot is not where the 360 Coverage comes from. The ship's model in the film has fifteen torpedo launchers on it. The Akira actually can fire the from every angle.

Also, I have no problem with adding ammo.

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    dark4blood wrote: »
    So I guess many are on-board for a separate torpedo slot...

Maybe. But, for the love of Khahless, no ammo. And most certainly no gold ammo.

3lsZz0w.jpg
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    1.) Please Cryptic DON'T EVER make T7s...this most likely won't happen, but just in case someone is putting this on the whiteboard...immediately remove it as an option. I mean seriously not even in 10 years or more if the game stays around that long...it defeats the point of having T6 in the first place and would make my upcoming suggestion worthless.

I have bad news. The same thing that happened to T5 ships most certainly will happen to T6 ships.

"Why?", you might ask.

Answer: because it makes Perfect World and Cryptic a shipload of money.

Cryptic made a ton of money off the tactical tail-gunner. They never mentioned it would be obsolete in one week's time. That's when the T6's hit.

No matter how many times any Cryptic or PW employee tells you there's never going to be T7 ships--there will be T7 ships.

Bank on it.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I wouldn't honestly. If it happens some time LONG down the road, it happens. But it ain't happening anytime soon, so just let the T7 Doom drop already.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    The power creep balloon has been expanding for multiple years. Even the Season 13 band-aid was quickly ripped away, when Cryptic devs decided to ramp it and their stiffy for "Rule of Cool" up to Powervibe 5000(see ships like the Discoprise and Disco-7 carpet-bagging pure carriers, or the Vaadwaur Juggernaut). Combine that with the Monty Haul style of this game with rewards and spoilmarks boxes to allow people to ignore a bunch of content for specific rewards. Cryptic loves to introduce something, then find a way to quickly kill it off(Gon'cra, Gamma Quadrant sector "battlezone," Competitive Wargames, Season 13 "balance pass," TFOs that can now be AFK'd for the most part because they finish themselves).

PvP was more balanced up to around level 40-ish, but it's long dead. Ever since the KDF faction was changed to having episode missions for gaining exp/levels, there hasn't been any forced PvP.
This discussion has been closed.