test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Tholian Red Alert Weekend!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
The Tholians are tightening their web on PC this weekend! Go to Red Alert!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11294223

Comments

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    It's sad that y'all ruined the red alerts. I could even deal with them only being once a month if they went back to the reasonable rewards system.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• mbaldelli02909mbaldelli02909 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    *sighs* The launcher reads it longer than 4 days.. More like 14... Do you have no Admin Assistant to make sure the information is accurate?
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    all these old red alerts should be replaced or updated in some way. currently they are just boring, and without interest
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I could even deal with them only being once a month if they went back to the reasonable rewards system.
    The new RA format is statistically more rewarding then the old ones.

well let's just say then that I prefered to play once per character for the daily bonus.

the only reason to go in now is for pure nostalgia to see the azure nebula - which is very pretty.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Since these became Blue Moon Red Alerts, I've taken to the Archer System Patrol to destroy Tholian Ships for an Endeavor. It is always there. Well, at least until they put it into the new UI Patrol System.

Oh, and proofreading is not a strong suit.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • dannon#6463 dannon Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    Really, more of a Mother of Pearl or Beige Alert weekend. Trust your customer feedback above when we say, there is no 'Red Alert' about these anymore.
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    Wish this was a real Tholian RA, and not just us warping into the middle of a Tholian/Borg fight.
  • tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Is anyone else having issues with this Event? When logging in for the first time the event on the welcome screen is greyed out with the unlocks at level 50. If I go to the new events window, it is also not there. If I ESC to the main menu, then it does show up not greyed out.

I have checked on my FED, ROM, KDF, TOS, DOM, DSC, toons and it is the same. The only thing I can think of is that I technically have completed the event in the past where I got the [Bio-Engineered Furiadon]

@ambassadorkael#6946
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    Yes the other day and the event has since vanished.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Is anyone else having issues with this Event? When logging in for the first time the event on the welcome screen is greyed out with the unlocks at level 50. If I go to the new events window, it is also not there. If I ESC to the main menu, then it does show up not greyed out.

I have checked on my FED, ROM, KDF, TOS, DOM, DSC, toons and it is the same. The only thing I can think of is that I technically have completed the event in the past where I got the [Bio-Engineered Furiadon]

@ambassadorkael#6946

Ummm your talking about the KM event? that ended in the morning.
  • tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    tigeraries wrote: »

@ambassadorkael#6946

Ummm your talking about the KM event? that ended in the morning.

No the THOLIAN RED ALERT, either its bugged or poorly explained or both. The reason for the confession might be because there was a bug a day ago where it showed the THOLIAN RED ALERT as a event with the [Bio-Engineered Furiadon] as the reward after 14 days. Even if this is not an Event the has a reward, the main welcome is still bugged as it is greyed out. Also because fred26291 is seeing the same issue, this is not an isolated event.

Some clarification would be nice.

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,981 Arc User
    It's just a 'Tholian Red Alert' weekend. It's not part of the event campaign and doesn't count towards event progress (the T6 ship coupon). There's still two 'featured events' to go for that.

The Tholian Red Alert seems to be working fine for me at least. I found and queued for it via the list of all normal level TFO's in alphabetical order.

Yes, the photo of it on the welcome/landing screen is in black and white.
  • lexers615#4253 lexers615 Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Another problem: with today's update, the Ferengi special trait stopped working, yet again.
    I just gave it a try. We were 5 casual players, and we were lucky enough not to have a single AFK leech. It turned out a bit like I expected. As with most of the game, it's calibrated for so called high-end players with excessive DPS using imaginary fitting (i.e.: the kind of fitting anyone sticking to cannon Star Trek won't use). As a result, we failed it. Yeah, I've seen what bunch of high DPS player do. They warp in, use scripts and high DPS AoE attacks, kill everything in a few seconds, and then whine on the game being too easy.
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    If you failed a tholian red alert I have serious questions regarding both the team and your respective builds. Could have been the entire team had incomplete or messy builds.

Also the notion the tholian red alert is built for only high DPSers is hogwash.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Pleased to see this back, allbeit temporarily - I used to really enjoy it; Just a pity that it isn't really a challenge anymore.

I mean, the pets from my DSC Constitution can overwhelm the smaller ships on the map. :s

Yes, I remember actually failing this one a few times back in 2014-15 when I ended up in a weak PUG, because my teammates couldn't bring enough DPS to finish off their share of all the groups before the timer expired. It was also a good test of a new ship or build.
    I just gave it a try. We were 5 casual players, and we were lucky enough not to have a single AFK leech. It turned out a bit like I expected. As with most of the game, it's calibrated for so called high-end players with excessive DPS using imaginary fitting (i.e.: the kind of fitting anyone sticking to cannon Star Trek won't use). As a result, we failed it. Yeah, I've seen what bunch of high DPS player do. They warp in, use scripts and high DPS AoE attacks, kill everything in a few seconds, and then whine on the game being too easy.

Not unless you're posting from 2014.

Most of my ships include a torpedo, none of them are DPS-chasers, and it's been at least a couple of years since the Tholians have put up a good fight. Builds include phaser, plasma, disruptor, tetryon, antiproton based on the theme for that ship, for example my TOS captain uses TOS phaser beam arrays and a torp.

I have upgraded gear to Mark XV using Phoenix upgrades, but not to all Epic. You can easily earn enough dil to do the same at 40,000 for 10 boxes which usually gain you 15+ tech upgrades. Save them for an upgrade weekend and you're done.

After reading your post I ran several toons through the Tholian Red Alert. Everything from fresh L65's with nothing but mission earned gear to more senior toons with repution gear. I'm not a particularly high dps player. No all Epic builds or lobi items. Some of the toons should have been using scripts keybind files but weren't :/

I'd honestly be the first to support you if I thought there were any balance issues with the alert but there simply isn't.

It's level of difficulty seems to be targeted towards newer or more casual player or perhaps someone who might want to test a new build or ship.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    foxman00 wrote: »
    If you failed a tholian red alert I have serious questions regarding both the team and your respective builds. Could have been the entire team had incomplete or messy builds.

Also the notion the tholian red alert is built for only high DPSers is hogwash.

I have to say, the Tholians CAN still pull a few nasty tricks and catch you on the wrong side of ability cooldowns. For example, if you get snagged by a Tractor beam, with anything that counters it on cooldown, and there are multiple Tholian ships that all decide to target you or you are in the arc of one of the Dreadnought's Web Cannons.

Sure, but to fail the alert means that has to keep happening, to the entire team.

It's normal difficulty only, so there are no injuries added. I suppose if everyone is carrying un-healed injuries from Advanced pugs that could factor in too but that's a PEBKAC error not game balance.
    You all seem to forget that if you don't have AT LEAST two players with imaginary fitting and unreasonnably high DPS in the team, the Tholian quickly move over the spawn, meaning that they keep shooting at you as you respawn, long before your shields are back up and your various powers get back up. Meaning that they'll wipe out the entire team as they respawn on a steady basis for as long as there's left on the TFO timer. The only remedy is having at least two high DPS guys that will prevent the Tholian armada from sitting on the respawn.

And, then again, it wouldn't be happening if the devs had thought about casual players, and not calibrated the whole thing for the high DPS ones, which are ruining the game.
    You all seem to forget that if you don't have AT LEAST two players with imaginary fitting and unreasonnably high DPS in the team, the Tholian quickly move over the spawn, meaning that they keep shooting at you as you respawn, long before your shields are back up and your various powers get back up. Meaning that they'll wipe out the entire team as they respawn on a steady basis for as long as there's left on the TFO timer. The only remedy is having at least two high DPS guys that will prevent the Tholian armada from sitting on the respawn.

And, then again, it wouldn't be happening if the devs had thought about casual players, and not calibrated the whole thing for the high DPS ones, which are ruining the game.

We are not forgetting and i am going to be blunt here. In my opinion, it is just some of us "veterans" (loosely using the word "us" here) while many of us have high end DPS builds can still recognise the difference in queue difficulties along with the NPCs that are in them.

It is our experience that we can see alot of things and give advice about what try, what NPCs are the most annoying or to keep an eye out on. We can also identify queues that might be a problem with newer players, what sections of a queue that while overall the queue may be easy, one aspect of it will challenge or frustrate players unfamiliar or newer players.

It is also this experience and knowledge that alot of us, are always eager to help out newer players with any questions we may ask. As all of us veterans, we newbies/rookies at one stage in our STO career, and we understand and know what that period can be like in a players career.

You do not need two high end DPS players in this queue, i cannot keep stating that. This queue is a fun one especially with the tholians (love fighting these guys) and can be easily completed.

IF you have a complete team of newer players, who have barely hit levels and have a mismash of gear you might experience issues. But, in my opinion this experience is necessary as sometimes in defeat you can learn so much about yourself and come out of it stronger than you could ever be without that experience.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
    Ok... You see "veteran" as a positive, and I'm rather used to see veteran deserting tough TFO's early on because they queued random's and simply bail out if their mods tell them the TFO has a poor chance of success. Or the same "veterans" that start an automation scripts to run TFO's before going to bed resulting in average players having to cope for them in FTFO's. Or the same "veterans" that go on name calling in the public chat.

But, yeah, you see "veteran" as a positive...
    Ok... You see "veteran" as a positive, and I'm rather used to see veteran deserting tough TFO's early on because they queued random's and simply bail out if their mods tell them the TFO has a poor chance of success. Or the same "veterans" that start an automation scripts to run TFO's before going to bed resulting in average players having to cope for them in FTFO's. Or the same "veterans" that go on name calling in the public chat.

"Or the same "veterans" that start an automation scripts to run TFO's before going to bed resulting in average players having to cope for them in FTFO's"

OK, everyone else in this thread. Did you read this line and shake your head?

Also any group be it veterans, newbies or regulars will have its bad eggs. Also, I did say "alot of us" not all of us when mentioning veterans.

I think you need to take a deep breathe regarding this queue and just generally too. I dont know what some people may or may not have done to you ingame, but no need to take it out on an entire group of people.
    pjxgwS8.jpg

"Or the same "veterans" that start an automation scripts to run TFO's before going to bed resulting in average players having to cope for them in FTFO's"

Head shake complete, good laugh as well. Bed comes after I log out of game and turn PC off.

If struggling players decide to afk Tholian Alert, not to worry, I have map covered :)

Don't struggle though, post in the Academy section for help.
    Nice summoning call for a ganging up ad hominen attack...

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,292 Community Moderator
    Alright, that's enough. Move along.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    a question will the red alert count as a tfo for a gamma toon?
    To be or not to be: B)
    No, I do not believe so.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    a question will the red alert count as a tfo for a gamma toon?

Just like I ran Defense of Starbase One in Advanced for the very first TFO on my second Gamma Recruit. He only received the Advanced Queue reward, while my first Recruit ran Infected Conduit Advanced as the first TFO, and he reveived both Advanced Queue and Completed a First Queue. So it seems that TFO posterior to VIS are not counted in the 1, 25 and 100 objectives.

However, I think it's somewhat moot as when you'll start grinding your Gamma Rep, you'll spend hours in the Gamma Quadrant and I've hear that all the short patrol-like TFO you run there count as individual TFO's for those objectives. Soloing Breaking the Circle in 2 minutes is feasible with the Jem'Hadar original gear, and is actually a lot easier than running it with other players as the more players there are on the team, the more Swarms and Swarmers will spawn. And I'm used that at least 25% of players in the Gamma Quadrant are AFKer's (They spawn at the beginning, "Needs" absolutely every drop, warp out at the end, whether successful or not, as most of all they don't respawn on their first destruction, and don't get tagged as idle as the TFO is way too short.). AFK'er are quite a burden complicating things quite a bit as they seriously increase the number of Swarms and Swarmers you're dealing with. Also, Sinister Gathering is feasible in 90 seconds, assuming you get enough live players and at least one of them focuses on the [INSERT CUSSING HERE] collectors that bots and AFKer's simply ignore, making the TFO simply impossible to succeed as the Collectors will make the Mothership go 100% in no time, and they'll keep her at it.