test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ST:Enterprise turns 18

eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
09/26 marks the 18th anniversary of the airing of ST:Enterprise. Wish it had had a longer run :(

Comments

• sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,443 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Me too. Still would have liked to see the Earth-Romulan War as well as Manny Coto's take on the Kzinti ships.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    Wish we could have seen Archer's speech at the end.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Wish I could've reached into my screen and broken Archer's nose on the viewscreen when he started ranting about the Kreetassians being mean to his dog.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    Fantastique. That means the disappointment is old enough to care for itself from now on.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Wow? It's been that long. I feel old :(
    I've felt old ever since someone compared the software language I made a (short) career in, COBOL, to ancient Greek. And I get my nose rubbed in it every so often by people who think videogames started with the NES or science fiction only dates from the premiere of Star Wars.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    I've felt old ever since someone compared the software language I made a (short) career in, COBOL, to ancient Greek. And I get my nose rubbed in it every so often by people who think videogames started with the NES or science fiction only dates from the premiere of Star Wars.

Some people have been saying COBOL was dead back in the 1970's but it is still chugging along today. It has been called "the ever dying language" because of it. Some people just do not see the value or utility of anything that is not brand new.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Some people have been saying COBOL was dead back in the 1970's but it is still chugging along today. It has been called "the ever dying language" because of it. Some people just do not see the value or utility of anything that is not brand new.
    And some things that people think are new are really just modified old things. give it some fresh paint and...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    And some things that people think are new are really just modified old things. give it some fresh paint and...

Madden games?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    rattler2 wrote: »

Madden games?

Nope. Sports-games in particular don't even try hiding that they're obviously the same game as last year with updated database and PERHAPS slightly better graphics nowadays.

And frankly… the majority of "new" stuff has been there before in one form or another. Truly original or innovative are rare breeds.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    keep on topic guys
    rattler2 wrote: »

Madden games?

Nope. Sports-games in particular don't even try hiding that they're obviously the same game as last year with updated database and PERHAPS slightly better graphics nowadays.

And frankly… the majority of "new" stuff has been there before in one form or another. Truly original or innovative are rare breeds.

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    Some things just can't be replicated, though. Like the end-of-file indicator in COBOL, an 88-level variable that can be given any name. I had a program that might have to iterate anywhere between 5 and 2000 times when it ran; I named the 88-level THE-COWS-COME-HOME.

The program included (and may well still) the line

PERFORM B002-PROCESS-JPIC UNTIL THE-COWS-COME-HOME;
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    roflmao good one jonsills
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    @baddmoonrizin please close. Getting off topic

Back in the day I worked at a shop that did a lot of stuff in ColdFusion. That's another one people have said is "dead" yet still chugging along.

This thread is not about when you worked in a shop. It is to mark the anniversary of Enterprise turning 18.

@baddmoonrizin please close this thread
This discussion has been closed.