test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

UK soon to ban Loot Boxes for minors?

2»

Comments

• tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,116 Arc User
    Unknown random contents is gambling. Fortnite already has this solved by removing the unknown contents altogether. Before you open the loot box you're TOLD want is inside... you can make an informed decision to use key or not. No longer gambling. If it's good enough then you spend your money on it... if not you can pass and wait the time. Course they could always just implement the proposed Chinese system of hard cash limit.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 1,694 Arc User
    the thing is, loot boxes are NOT gambling. Gambling implies that you can lose. you cannot ever lose with a lloot box. you are guaranteed to get lobi and other stuff.
    giphy.gif
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,639 Arc User
    edited November 7
    the thing is, loot boxes are NOT gambling. Gambling implies that you can lose. you cannot ever lose with a lloot box. you are guaranteed to get lobi and other stuff.

That isn't really the only definition of gambling, and it is probably not the one that is legally relevant. And psychologically, if you are hoping for a Tier 6 Connie, 6 Lobi and a Kit Frame does not feel like "winning". And neither would spending 5 $ to get 1 $ count as "winning". In fact, from an economical definition it's more like you can't win "gambling" on lockboxes, because no matter the content of the box, you cannot turn it into money (especially not more than you put in).

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 10,345 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Unknown random contents is gambling. Fortnite already has this solved by removing the unknown contents altogether. Before you open the loot box you're TOLD want is inside... you can make an informed decision to use key or not. No longer gambling. If it's good enough then you spend your money on it... if not you can pass and wait the time.

That's not a bad implementation at all to me. I don't think I would be for cash limits. Let people spend as much as they want to. In this case, they know what they are getting.

Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • shadowfang240shadowfang240 Member Posts: 33,357 Arc User
    being able to see what's in the box you're about to open is definitely an interesting idea, but i don't see PWE ever going for it

this page kicked off a necro, btw​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."

How Game Devs SHOULD be interacted with:
    http://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/157238832062/i-remember-your-52080-rule-and-it-was-an-awesome

"Curiosity is bad! It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed...and more importantly, it makes you poor!"

"Beware of dog. Or possibly, enhanced, psycho-addicted, cybernetically-enhanced nightstalker death-dealing dog from hell."
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.

Stand with Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! #TASforSTO
  • thunderfoot006thunderfoot006 Member Posts: 4,123 Arc User
    I don't think STO players in the UK have to worry too much about the Gov't there doing anything about STO's LockBoxes.
    Look at how long that Brexit thing has been going on, lol.

Kidding aside, the idea of knowing the contents prior to opening a loot box is a good one. I think anytime consumers can make informed choices about product purchases or use, both consumers and businesses benefit. Consumers get to purchase or use what they really want to. Businesses stop wasting resources on products and services people do not want.

Something which does not get mentioned enough when this topic comes up is this: A business will always take the least expensive/intrusive path to comply with whatever regulations a government imposes. If it becomes more profitable, or registers as a smaller loss, then PWE deciding not to operate in countries where LockBoxes are subject to some of the proposed legislation becomes a strong possibility.
    THIS Guy! This guy is the reason why we cannot have nice things around here!
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,759 Arc User
    The Government has been disbanded due to an election over Brexit. The country is going to the polls on the 12th of December, and a new government will be decided on the 13th, probably early morning, around 9am or something like that.

It will be either Conservatives who remain in power and get their brexit bill sorted, so these microtransactions can be dealt with after that. or the labour party gets in there and who knows what Corbyn will do with these mocrotransactions. Frankly with the way things have been sabotaged within parliment recently, i wouldn't expect a lot of cooperation no matter which of the two parties are elected.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,759 Arc User
    Okay the Conservatives have won the election, it just needs confirming now. However that lockbox issue will be back on the table from here on. Just FYI.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,116 Arc User
    Okay the Conservatives have won the election, it just needs confirming now. However that lockbox issue will be back on the table from here on. Just FYI.

They havent won by this many seats since the 80s under Thatcher. Working class en mass dropped Labour for Boris.
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 719 Arc User
    Democracy has spoken. Now we wait to see if there will be a country left.

> @annemarie30 said:
    > the thing is, loot boxes are NOT gambling. Gambling implies that you can lose. you cannot ever lose with a lloot box. you are guaranteed to get lobi and other stuff.

That is very close to EA's "surprise mechanics" claim.