test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Todays changes to beams and engine lights are the wrong approach

zaraszzarasz Member Posts: 186 Arc User
One of the most important aspects of a game is immersion, how it looks. Especially when we talk about a game based on a movie, comic or something that has a strong visual appearance. We want to see exactly that. Well, I do and people who make ingame movies, role players probably are fond of this aswell.

People asked many times over the years to disable the impulse engine trails. There was some mod ages ago to make them disappear but thats gone. Since then people increased that request but we heard nothing back. I dont really see a difference between yesterdays engine trails and todays after the patch. Either way, its ugly. An option to remove them completely but keep the impulse light would have been a better solution. We dont have visual slots for nothing. So two fixes with one change.

Right now Im in my Negh'Tev with both borg sets. I like that the engine trail is borg green. But its on only one. The other three are klingon red because its a klingon ship. Immersion ruined. The visual should determine ALL engine lights and trails instead. This enforced look doesnt grant the idea to customize our ships the way WE want. Why do ships always have to look like its faction anyway? Why is immersion only in certain cases important and in others completely ignored?

Next is the change to beam weapons.
  • Enhance visual fidelity by making beam weapons feel more precise.
  • Ease visual clutter in FX heavy missions and TFOs.
Personally not thaaaat big difference. Since a visual change has no effect on accuracy rating, they dont "feel more precise".
But the actual clutter are the "dragon ball" space effects. Every ability has its own effect on us or our target. A better solution to combat clutter would be an option to make these ability effects optional. I asked in a stream about it but essentially the reply was "its too much work". Well, duh. Every change is work. Water is wet. But its the best solution to combat clutter and to give people the real star trek space battle immersion. Again, two fixes with one change.