test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

ViacomCBS should buy Tribune next to get the 4ights to Earth: Final Conflicit and Andromedia

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
ViacomCBS should buy Tribune next to get the 4ights to Earth: Final Conflicit and Andromedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribune_Entertainment

This would unite all the Roddenberry series together under one roof.

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I really don't see the point...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »

The point is to have crossovers.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »

Provided that they exist in the same universe and time or spending lots of time setting up the crossover in both series can crossovers be done right. Otherwise, we have the X-men/TNG crossover. Then there is the problem that the only some of the actors from Earth: Final Conflict and Andromeda would be interested to reprise their roles. Also if I remember correctly, both series were suffering from fatigue when their last season aired.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User

Oh, please, Prophets no. It is really freaking hard to do an intercontinuity crossover that doesn't end up being complete cr@p. I should know, I've done a few.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah, E:FC, and Andromeda are utterly incompatible story-line wise.

In Andromeda the equivalent of the Augment wars didn't happen until after the formation of the Federation equivalent... also the Federation lost the war.

E:FC is more like X-Files since it's set in the present and a lot of the story is centered on figuring out what the Taelon aliens are doing and why. The Taelons were very public about coming to Earth for "peaceful" reasons. Not that most people actually trust them. They're... not Vulcans, hoo boy, are they NOT Vulcans.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    In my opinion the decline of Andromeda came after Robert Hewitt Wolfe departed and Kevin Sorbo took over, reducing the "complexity" of the stories per studio demands and incidentally also remaking the show into the Dylan Hunt Superhero Hour, with all the other characters shunted into the background.

That being said, there's absolutely no need for "crossovers". Save it for fanfic. The universes are fundamentally incompatible, in physics and in storytelling style. It's a bit like demanding a crossover between TOS and Lost In Space, or between Law & Order: SVU and Dragnet (except that at least the latter two share a few basic assumptions in common).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,470 Arc User
    Let Andromeda and Earth: Final Conflict be their thing and let Star Trek be its own thing. I am not really a cross-over kind of guy. Let Tribune Entertainment do their thing. There are too many mergers these days. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,470 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @sthe91 said:
    > Let Andromeda and Earth: Final Conflict be their thing and let Star Trek be its own thing. I am not really a cross-over kind of guy. Let Tribune Entertainment do their thing. There are too many mergers these days. Thanks. :)

Tribune does not own those shows, Roddenberry Entertainment and Rodd Roddenberry do.

Did not know. Thanks for the information. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    To be fair, both shows were developed from pitches Gene came up with before TMP and were Trek originally.

In Andromeda,s case the Neitziens were Khan's descendants, TWOK made that impossible, which Gene both didn't write, and hated. That aside, and despite my own hope that Discovery's jump to the future incorporates many aspects of Andromeda, including a fallen (literally or figuratively) Federation, the story of the show itself is incompatible with the Trek timeline.

Now if the OP meant "is it possible to secure a liscensing deal to allow a Multiverse of Roddenberry story arc where we go to these other realities like we did the Kelvin Timeline or Mirror Universe" then hell yeah, and go for it, figure out how to make the story work later.

As to the shows themselves, in both cases the shows declined after Majel stepped down, and neither ended very well.

That was exactly what I meant, something like how the CW handles crossovers between Supergirl and the Arrowverse.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    To be fair, both shows were developed from pitches Gene came up with before TMP and were Trek originally.

In Andromeda,s case the Neitziens were Khan's descendants, TWOK made that impossible, which Gene both didn't write, and hated. That aside, and despite my own hope that Discovery's jump to the future incorporates many aspects of Andromeda, including a fallen (literally or figuratively) Federation, the story of the show itself is incompatible with the Trek timeline.

Now if the OP meant "is it possible to secure a liscensing deal to allow a Multiverse of Roddenberry story arc where we go to these other realities like we did the Kelvin Timeline or Mirror Universe" then hell yeah, and go for it, figure out how to make the story work later.

As to the shows themselves, in both cases the shows declined after Majel stepped down, and neither ended very well.

That was exactly what I meant, something like how the CW handles crossovers between Supergirl and the Arrowverse.

Supergirl and the Arrowverse are all already DC Comics superheroes. It really doesn't take very much wiggling and bending to get two previously unconnected DC Comics shows linked up: they already "follow the same rules" as it were.

Star Trek, Andromeda, and E:FC very much do not. It's like trying to cross Star Trek with Forgotten Realms or BattleTech: the universe logic plain doesn't match up.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    It would be easier to cross over Star Wars and Wing Commander than it would Star Trek and those other shows.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    > @starswordc said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Supergirl and the Arrowverse are all already DC Comics superheroes. It really doesn't take very much wiggling and bending to get two previously unconnected DC Comics shows linked up: they already "follow the same rules" as it were.
    >
    > Star Trek, Andromeda, and E:FC very much do not. It's like trying to cross Star Trek with Forgotten Realms or BattleTech: the universe logic plain doesn't match up.

It's funny that you choose Star Trek and the Forgotten Realms as an example, as those are my favourite Settings and I have fantasized about what it would be like to cross them. Many, many possible ideas, from FR as a holodeck program, to a rivalry between Q and AO, to magical spacial anomalies, the a plot by the Megans (magical race from Star Trek the animated series), to Volo's Guide to the Federation of Planets, Mindflayer Invasion of Vulcan, to Star Trek's Earth being the Earth that the Imaskari stole slaves from or a mix of the above.

Heck I have read a novel, Planet X, that was a Star Trek X-Men crossover, and in comics many settings actually have connections.
  • Options
    > @rattler2 said:
    > It would be easier to cross over Star Wars and Wing Commander than it would Star Trek and those other shows.

Q links the universes together changing the physics of each just enough that their technologies work in all three universes.

The Andromeda experiments with new technology and accidently ends up going down a wormhole that connects to the Star Trek Universe.

The Prophets of Bajor summon the Teleons mothership for unknown reasons. And more.

I mean its no where near as hard as you guys make it out to be, Star Trek has had crossovers with stranger settings in the comics and novels honestly, like a Transformers Star Trek crossover.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Writers generally have far fewer hangups with "universe logic" than do fans. Because where fans are trying to guess at how things work by (over-)analyzing canon, writers can just make things work however they want.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    > @starswordc said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Supergirl and the Arrowverse are all already DC Comics superheroes. It really doesn't take very much wiggling and bending to get two previously unconnected DC Comics shows linked up: they already "follow the same rules" as it were.
    >
    > Star Trek, Andromeda, and E:FC very much do not. It's like trying to cross Star Trek with Forgotten Realms or BattleTech: the universe logic plain doesn't match up.

It's funny that you choose Star Trek and the Forgotten Realms as an example, as those are my favourite Settings and I have fantasized about what it would be like to cross them. Many, many possible ideas, from FR as a holodeck program, to a rivalry between Q and AO, to magical spacial anomalies, the a plot by the Megans (magical race from Star Trek the animated series), to Volo's Guide to the Federation of Planets, Mindflayer Invasion of Vulcan, to Star Trek's Earth being the Earth that the Imaskari stole slaves from or a mix of the above.

Heck I have read a novel, Planet X, that was a Star Trek X-Men crossover, and in comics many settings actually have connections.
    Planet X made it clear that the Xmen were NOT native to Picard's universe. It didn't try to retcon them into being part of the Federation.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Q links the universes together changing the physics of each just enough that their technologies work in all three universes.

The Andromeda experiments with new technology and accidently ends up going down a wormhole that connects to the Star Trek Universe.

The Prophets of Bajor summon the Teleons mothership for unknown reasons. And more.

I mean its no where near as hard as you guys make it out to be, Star Trek has had crossovers with stranger settings in the comics and novels honestly, like a Transformers Star Trek crossover.

I didn't say it was hard to contrive a scenario for two unlike fiction universes to collide.

I said it was hard to do it and not have the result come out looking like bad fan fiction.

It takes an incredibly talented writer working extremely hard to take a pitch like making Mass Effect the future of C&C Tiberium and actually have it be legitimately good.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User

Gene constantly came up with weird ideas for new shows.

Andromeda as we know it is basically some Phase-II-scripts and ideas combined with the script used for THREE TV-pilots Gene created for his suspended-animation-guy TV-Show (yup, that's the origin of D. Hunt - though not captain of a starship).

Or that time Gene was trying to set up a Gary-7-TV-show in the supposed last episode of TOS to have a production in case TOS won't be renewed.

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »

I didn't say it was hard to contrive a scenario for two unlike fiction universes to collide.

I said it was hard to do it and not have the result come out looking like bad fan fiction.

It takes an incredibly talented writer working extremely hard to take a pitch like making Mass Effect the future of C&C Tiberium and actually have it be legitimately good.

out of all the millions of fanfics you could've pulled from that site, not only did you pick one i already KNOW about, but also one i've had in the backlog waiting to read as soon as i have some free time to do so

too bad it looks like it won't ever be finished​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    so he couldn't have boinked someone before dying? that woman he lost couldn't have been the ONLY woman among the group​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    starswordc wrote: »

As a fanfic writer myself, who kinda specializes in crossovers, I have to agree with this.

You CAN cross things over easily. BUT... the key to a GOOD one is HOW they are tied together. Good stories do it in such a way as to be believable. Bad ones just mash them together with no real explanation and expect them to work.

Example of a rather bad one: a Star Trek TNG/Sailor Moon story I stumbled across where Q was Serena's uncle or something. Chaos ensued and Q actually dropped her off on the Enterprise-D for protection.

Was a serious mess that just didn't make sense. No real explanation or set up. Just mashed potatos.

Example of a decent one (my opinion): a BSG/Trek crossover where Lt. Geata was actually a Starfleet Officer who went MIA as an Ensign, and joined Colonial Fleet. Later would use his knowledge of territorial borders to try and quietly steer Galactica and the fleet away from hostile powers like the Romulans until coming into contact with Starfleet.

The author actually took the time to build a believable hook that tied the two together in a way that made sense, even though the tech was not compatible.

Some things make crossovers easier, like Stargate. If you have the other half not be space faring or anything, you got at least two galaxies worth of Stargates you can put their world in. So you could have a full on Stargate/My Little Pony crossover because hey... they COULD have a stargate on their world, either in some distant corner of the Milky Way or Pegasus Galaxy, and they haven't found it yet. Other things, like the franchises mentioned upthread like Andromeda and Earth: Final Conflict, are a bit harder to do so. On the Andromeda side, their reliance on Slipstream that is totally different from any FTL method in Trek would mean that any Andromeda based ships sent to the Trek side would be basically stranded, ala season 5 of Andromeda. Any Trek ships sent to Andromeda would still be able to get around, but as Andromeda actually has three galaxies... the Trek ship isn't going far in any amount of time.

In short anything Trek/Andromeda would have to work around the fact that they won't be able to go anywhere in a reasonable amount of time, if at all. So theoretically you could set up some kind of scenario where a rift between them has opened and the crews have to work together to seal it before it destroys the multiverse or something like that. But don't expect Andromeda to pop out in say, the Azure Nebula, and have the Enterprise escort her back to Earth.

As I said, the key to a good crossover is HOW you tie them together. The hook has to be believable.
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited October 2019

True but in this case Rodd, Gene's son, has confirmed that a major part of why Gene was so mad about TWOK was that it made the "Andromeda" idea impossible within Trek because Meyer killed off Khan, and Tyr's people (Neitzians) were supposed to be Khan's descendants.

Dunno, but with a bit of creative writing, there would still have been ways to make Tyr's People work after TWoK.
    If they work with DNA-samples like the Neitzians in Andromeda did, there'd still be genetic material on the Botany Bay-wreckage.

Yeah, Khan's fellows were all on the Reliant, eventually.. but it's not too big of a stretch that there might have been other sleeper-ships. Heck, even Picard found terran sleepers in 'The Neutral Zone', and they were from even before Khan's time.
    Some other "superhumans" would sure have been awoken somewhere, leaving them open to search for and secure usable genetic material of Khan and friends, and then they start their little civilization of genetically-engineered clans.

Or even more crazy... but also more of a stretch, the Genesis-effect could have created a new Khan. He wouldn't have had the memories of the real one, Kirk and crew could have recovered him like the revived Spock and while on Vulcan, he might have left due to not fitting in and starting to feel inherently superior to everybody else. Creating a new people from retorts.

They didn't even try IMO.