test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Obelisk Swarmers should get the Discovery "Tactical Flyer" visuals

angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
As in having multiple small models represent one unit now that it's technically possible. Because 'swarming' is kinda their thing ๐Ÿ˜
lFC4bt2.gif
^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
"A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
"That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I agree. That would be awesome!
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    As in having multiple small models represent one unit now that it's technically possible. Because 'swarming' is kinda their thing ๐Ÿ˜

That would make a lot of sense and also fit a bit better with the scaling of the ground combat versions of them.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    An actual swarm of 'swarmers' would be quite cool indeed.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    Might not be a bad idea to apply it to Hur'q Swarmers, too.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Yeah if possible this would be a nice addition to the "swarmer" type hangar pets, make them seem more like the swarm they're suppose to be.
  • Options
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > Might not be a bad idea to apply it to Hur'q Swarmers, too.

I agree. Since we know the Altamid (sp?) Swarmers from Beyond are coming to the game, maybe "Swarmers" can become a new type of pets with that characteristic. I think the Hur'q ones would be the largest of the bunch.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I agree about the hur'q swarmers being the largest, considering how many of them we have to deal with when doing anything involving them.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    But remember you can only launch swarms every 17 years. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    This thread is full of goodness. Obelisk swarmers get swarms! Hur'q swarmers get swarms! Everybody get swarms!
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • Options
    lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    Would be good - would love to see a T6 Advanced Obelisk eventually too. Its a cool ship
    This thread is full of goodness. Obelisk swarmers get swarms! Hur'q swarmers get swarms! Everybody get swarms!

Resistance is Futile, everyone will get Swarmed by the Swarms
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,464 Arc User
    The swarmers from Star Trek: Beyond get swarms!
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    It could be an interesting way to give carriers a new lease of life (now they are pretty dire as they have all the carrier debuffs and two hangars while other ships don't have them and two hangars)

Keep the two hangars but when installed in a carrier, any pet becomes a swarm visually with the same rof, loadout, ect but with decently enhanced attack stats as (technically) more fighters are attacking
  • Options
    sthe91 wrote: ยป
    The swarmers from Star Trek: Beyond get swarms!

Are those on Tribble already?โ€‹โ€‹
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    i think MOST of the smaller craft would benefit from this but the swarmers specifically would be a great first adapter.
  • Options
    i think MOST of the smaller craft would benefit from this but the swarmers specifically would be a great first adapter.

Logically, anything that is named swarmer should operate in swarms pig-2.gif Then it also makes sense for drones/pods like the flyers or the Kelvin drones. Shuttle pets should remain singular units, as there were never swarms of shuttles which also have limited combat utility, but they should be much more utility focussed. Fighters are basically shuttles, as there aren't efficient "star fighters" in Star Trek anyway. And then we have Runabouts and Frigates which are fine as it is, I think.

Ideally, support craft that are docked on the hull or separated saucers and such should outgun all of these and be worth something as well.โ€‹โ€‹
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Member Posts: 244 Arc User

Unless they plan on changing the actual stats of the pets then turning existing pets into swarms would make them visually lackluster. The Disco/D7 swarms have a number of weapons equal to the size of the swarm, to represent the collective armaments... older pets generally do not, so a swarm of obelisk swarmers would be, collectively, firing one antiproton beam (well, two if you count the defensive array).

What they really should do for "swarm" pets is halve their recharge time like they did for the House Mokai raiders. That keeps the sky full of them even without dedicating full power to aux or having multiple launch time doffs equipped. Pair that with lacking shields (as most swarmers do) and you have plentiful but frail attack ship spam.. which is pretty appropriate.
  • Options
    I think it's clear that if they do, every model gets a weapon hard point. It wouldn't make sense not to do that...โ€‹โ€‹
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    Just make the hardpoints visual, not physical so even if theres 10 beams hitting the target the game treats the entire attack as one beam in effect so it looks right but does not need balancing as its aesthetic
  • Options
    Yeah, that is completely irrelevant. I just assume they make it exactly like they did on the flyers, that is the whole point pig-2.gifโ€‹โ€‹
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    Just make the hardpoints visual, not physical so even if theres 10 beams hitting the target the game treats the entire attack as one beam in effect so it looks right but does not need balancing as its aesthetic

It will require they create new weapons then. Yes, the flyers simply treat each of the visual swarm members as a hardpoint, but making a single beam fire out of 10 hardpoints simultaneously would be something new. In the current system they're just assigning existing weapons to small models and using the same weapon visual system that larger ships use. With flyers there are actually additional beams for each swarm member to ensure that all of them are firing.

If you broke, say, the obelisk swarmer into 6 smaller swarmers, and made each one a weapon hardpoint, only one of the six swarmers would be firing at a time (whichever was closest) with the others hanging out for moral support.

So to accomplish what this thread is talking about, they either need to create new weapons that fire from multiple points at once despite being a single weapon, or they need to create much weaker versions of the single weapons, multiply them by however many members of a swarm they'll be having, and then adjust the hangar pet to have that many of that weapon.

It seems like a lot to expect from them to revamp old pets with the name "swarmer" in them. I mean, I'm all for it, but I'm guessing they'll be more inclined to just make future swarms the existing, easy way... since new stuff can be sold to people while old stuff generally won't be.
  • Options
    What I mean in the above example is its purely aesthetic...as the swarms deplete with damage, give the swarm member that is the main one the actual weapon, the rest of the swarms weapons that do no actual damage ...sure its a bit of a kludge solution, but that way as its purely aestheic theres less problem in its creation
  • Options
    But how is that relevant? It's not up to the players who have no idea how this works to develop ideas that reduce the work load for devs. All I'm saying is that it would make sense for swarmers to swarm. Cryptic knows how to do that better than any of us ๐Ÿ˜‰
    lFC4bt2.gif
This discussion has been closed.