test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FASA ship designs for STO?

ferroequusferroequus Member Posts: 16 Arc User
Came across this interesting video this morning.

https://youtu.be/hLaeibPw4rk

Wouldn't it be wonderful to fly the Winged Defender into battle on STO?

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Gods, those are some hideous ships.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The D-10 is basically a D-7 with mods and the Loknar is a Franklin. But the others, yeah, I agree with @artan42 . yeesh.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    1) No, we don't. FASA ship designs are pretty ugly.

2) Can't have 'em anyway - there's this little thing called "copyright"...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The D-10 is basically a D-7 with mods and the Loknar is a Franklin. But the others, yeah, I agree with @artan42 . yeesh.
    jonsills wrote: »
    1) No, we don't. FASA ship designs are pretty ugly.

2) Can't have 'em anyway - there's this little thing called "copyright"...

Some of the FASA ships are ugly, but most of them are no worse than other third-party ships (like for example that weird Star Wars like tug which was not a FASA ship at all), and a number of them were top-notch designs (like the V-30 Winged Defender) which are better than a lot of the show ships (especially the hideous junkpiles the Orions flew in ENT). For that matter, some of the show ships borrow from the FASA designs to an extent (as Angrytarg points out by naming a few of them), and at least one of them actually appeared in a graphic in DS9 (the Orion Wanderer, which is another top-notch design).

The problem isn't actually copyrite as such though since FASA's license terms included a clause that made all designs the property of both FASA and Paramount, and FASA could not publish anything under the license without passing it by Paramount first for approval. It is more a case of that clause may have been a bit overreaching and may not have stood up in court if FASA challenged it, especially after Paramount dumped them while the game was still quite popular (which was another serious blow to FASA during a very trying time), and apparently Paramount did not want to kick the anthill to find out (can't blame them, joint ownership stuff is almost always messy).

All in all, it is hardly surprising that CBS would not include permission to use the designs in the STO license since Paramount was leery about using them back in the day, and the Viacom split has done such wonders for IP clarity (and yes, I am being sarcastic with that last part, the split has caused so much trouble for Star Trek they really need to pull their heads out and get it together).
    The Orion ships from ENT look great.
    Eaglemoss%2BStar%2BTrek%2BThe%2BOfficial%2BStarships%2BCollection%2BOrion%2Binterceptor%2Brendering.jpg

Much better than any of the FASA stuff.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

edited July 2019
    artan42 wrote: »
    The Orion ships from ENT look great.
    Eaglemoss%2BStar%2BTrek%2BThe%2BOfficial%2BStarships%2BCollection%2BOrion%2Binterceptor%2Brendering.jpg

Much better than any of the FASA stuff.​​

The interceptor is not too bad, true, it is the best of the three in a practical sense anyway though it looks rather generic and reminds me of Hawk's ship from Buck Rogers:

c2a2d476d83ba84ce7a53ffe5833b105.jpg

On the other hand the "Pirate Vessel" is laughably hideous:

latest?cb=20050426170633&path-prefix=en

and the "intruder" or "scout ship" is almost as bad (though it does have a slight hint of the "Arabian Nightmare" motif the Orions have always had in the way the shapes go together and the over-decorated look the hoops and spinning junk gives it) although it at least is not boringly generic looking like the interceptor or as outright stupid looking as the pirate ship:

latest?cb=20081209031213&path-prefix=en

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    I STILL wish Cryptic could/would get the right to the Franz Joeseph Dreadnought design from the original Star Fleet Technical Manual (circa 1975 and originally licensed by Paramount although they struck a deal where the designs remained his, and he eventually sold them for use with the "Star Fleet Battles" tabletop game universe.):

dn_tech_manual_001.png
    FJ TOS era Dreadnought

Hell, I'd love to see the FJ Scout/Destroyer (from the same manual):
    saladin-sftm.gif

And the Tug:
    ptolemy-sftm.gif

but yeah, given the probable cost and other legal issues, I doubt it could/would happen. :(

Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited July 2019
    I'll take any of those three over this...
    tas_po_23.jpg

Or this...
    687474703a2f2f6d656469612e6d6f6464622e636f6d2f696d616765732f6d6f64732f312f32332f32323637312f4f52495f467269676174655f57616e64657265722e706e67
    ​​

#TASforSTO

They switched the Dreadnaught's Hangar bay and secondary deflector. Seriously, I've never known it's supposed to be this way. This is horrible. I know I know that DSC canonized Wing Commander fighter dog fights and we are all about tiny craft now, but cone on. The hangar bay does not go there. It's like putting a reindeer's antlers on it's butt.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    dreadnoughts don't have secondary deflectors, only science ships do

and as for orion ships...i'll take STO's take on them over any of the TRIBBLE posted above - they may look like misshapen, tumor-laden potatoes, but i still like the designs

or the ones from SFC2: OP - they were nice designs too, as were the few designs seen in shattered universe​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > dreadnoughts don't have secondary deflectors, only science ships do

The graphic above shows it's supposed to have a second deflector dish on it's butt. I don't think the designers 40 years ago cared about STOs rules yet 😉
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    tas_po_23.jpg
    Your heresy will be remembered.
    On the other hand the "Pirate Vessel" is laughably hideous:

latest?cb=20050426170633&path-prefix=en
    Also we kinda have this already....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    tas_po_23.jpg

Or this...

The Orion ship from TAS does look a bit weird, but it is not as bad when seen in 3D:
    Orion_TAS_1.jpg

It really is no worse than Harrad-Sar's lump of a ship though it does look a bit like the offspring of Nausican ship that got busy with a Breen ship or something.

687474703a2f2f6d656469612e6d6f6464622e636f6d2f696d616765732f6d6f64732f312f32332f32323637312f4f52495f467269676174655f57616e64657265722e706e67
    ​​

I have seen better renders of the Wanderer than that one though they are even more obscure than the TAS ship one for some reason (possibly because it looks a bit like just another a Federation kitbash if you do not know what it really is). They look a lot better with the Federation ceramic coating (especially the pearlescent white like the TMP Enterprise) than they do in that grungy gray metal skin. They are also nice in black and red (like Starfleet Battles Orion ships use), or really just about anything except what is in that picture.

I actually like the Wanderer. Not as a Starfleet design mind you, and I wouldn't see it as Orion either, but with a few more curves it could be Tellarite.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,206 Arc User
    To Shadow, there is a couple dreadnought in game that do have secondary deflectors like the Cardassian Intel one. In fact it also has a deflector dish on its butt.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited July 2019
    Honestly I view the TOS Dread as a bit more of a Carrier with the shuttlebay placement. While it might not be practical, a redesign could turn it into a full Fleet Carrier with a flight deck that goes all the way through, kinda like some carriers from Wing Commander. Launch out the front, recover from the rear.

Edit: Also... I've seen the Winged Defender design in a few places, such as Star Trek Armada and Star Trek Legacy. I think its one of the few FASA designs that actually gets around. Unless Activision and Bethesda somehow got the rights to use the design in their respective games...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    tas_po_23.jpg

Or this...
    The Orion ship from TAS does look a bit weird, but it is not as bad when seen in 3D:
    Orion_TAS_1.jpg
    I'd fly it. :p That render looks a bit off though since the wings are joined differently and the weapon pods got replaced with what look like warp nacelles for some reason.
    It really is no worse than Harrad-Sar's lump of a ship though it does look a bit like the offspring of Nausican ship that got busy with a Breen ship or something.
    I'd fly Hassan's battlebarge too. I actually like the potato look some of the Orion ships have. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    I'd fly it. :p That render looks a bit off though since the wings are joined differently and the weapon pods got replaced with what look like warp nacelles for some reason.

Its possible that those were intended to be nacelles. Going from a 2D image like the source to a 3D model... sometimes you gotta fudge it a bit because you're having to interpret things from a static image.
    For example... If I was trying to make a model of that ship, I'd probably have ended up making it a bit stubbier and those two fin things on the front would probably sweep back towards the rear because that's kinda how I see the source picture. I feel like that dish should be jutting out and the front end of the ship angled back.

Honestly the angle we see that ship in the source pic is kinda lousy for determining actual size and details.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Orion_TAS_1.jpg

Does that ship belong to the Orions, or the Beetleborgs?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited July 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »

The Federation Class Dread, a Franz Joseph design forever unobtainable due to the legal actions/lawsuits between Joseph, Roddenberry, CBS, et al, had multiple deflector dishes because it was supposed to have 3 complete shield arrays. In the novel "Dreadnaught!" phaser fire from Enterprise was described as ricocheting harmlessly from just 2 active arrays.

Also I believe she had a rather unique camoflage system that could also mimic the presence of another ship, as well as some unique structural support on the chance that the shields did fail.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    For TOS Dreadnoughts, I personally prefer the Ticonderoga-Class, with the twi secondary hulls and two pairs of warp nacelles.
    ryan218 wrote: »
    For TOS Dreadnoughts, I personally prefer the Ticonderoga-Class, with the twi secondary hulls and two pairs of warp nacelles.

I know a similar design as the Proxima class from Star Trek Legacy.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    ryan218 wrote: »

I know a similar design as the Proxima class from Star Trek Legacy.

Yeah, I think the Ultimate Universe mod added the TOS variant and named it Ticonderoga, or something like that. It actually looks: a. like a Fleet command ship; and b. like a well-armed warship. I could see one of those forming the centre of a fleet with Connies, Mirandas, etc.

Having looked at the Atlas... Eh. I don't like how the pylons come off the primary hull instead of the secondary. It doesn't look right in the TOS aesthetic. Other than that, it looks good.
    For TOS era dreadnoughts I prefer the Cardenas or Shepard, because Constitution style ships were nearing obsoletion by the time of TOS.​​

#TASforSTO

edited July 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »

The Federation Class Dread, a Franz Joseph design forever unobtainable due to the legal actions/lawsuits between Joseph, Roddenberry, CBS, et al, had multiple deflector dishes because it was supposed to have 3 complete shield arrays. In the novel "Dreadnaught!" phaser fire from Enterprise was described as ricocheting harmlessly from just 2 active arrays.

Also I believe she had a rather unique camoflage system that could also mimic the presence of another ship, as well as some unique structural support on the chance that the shields did fail.

Yes, the sensor spoofing thing was its main claim to fame in some ways. It was not optical like a hologram though, a lookout on a DSC ship with very strong binoculars (or that toy telescope from the first episode) would see the ship as normal even though the sensor overlay would show some other ship or natural object. A conjectural STO version could use an enhanced version of the Rhode island class decoy-and-cloak console to represent that in a way that has meaning in game terms, though of course we will never see one in the game.

On the other hand, it maneuvered like a ruptured three-legged hippo with arthritis (sort of like the Vo'Quv or D'Deridex, possibly worse) so it probably would not be the most fun to fly.
    If I remember correctly... when the Star Empire was taken... she wasn't operating at 100%. A lot of systems were locked down so she was basically gimped, and the rogue Admiral knew exactly where to hit her.
    edited July 2019
    If I remember correctly... when the Star Empire was taken... she wasn't operating at 100%. A lot of systems were locked down so she was basically gimped, and the rogue Admiral knew exactly where to hit her.

True, though the lockout was mainly to showcase Piper's pirate hacking skills in the "real" world after wrecking the academy simulator with it, and she had a lot of it unlocked by the time they got the ship moving again. IIRC the main problem they had was getting the sensor spoofing, layered shields and weapons back up, the drive was undamaged and one of the first things they got back.

I think there was something about it being the three-engine configuration making for an ungainly warp field (remember, in TOS the weapons were tied to the impulse stacks so they fought at warp to avoid splitting the power between weapons and movement) though on the other hand that may have been a FASA interpretation, I have not read the novel in at least a decade or two and single-nacelle ships were naturally more agile in that game.

One thing that is interesting with the Franz Joseph ships is that they all use just the dish deflectors and lack the concentric-cylinder phased array that the Constitution class had behind the dish. To me they always looked a bit weird without it. The TNG style plasma element dishes even had that array in a flatter form as the point lights in the bowl between the long elements.

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    the loknar frigate has two nacelles and it was plenty maneuverable - it had to be, it was a frigate

(thank you Resurrected Starships for my now knowing about the loknar frigate when i barely know anything about FASA)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.