test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What purpose could the flaps on the Galaxy Dreadnought pylons possibly serve?

2»

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    Now you have me curious, what is the "silly vanishing act from TOS" you mention?

There was an episode where the Enterprise stole a Romulan cloak and actually USED it. And back then the cloak effect was just fade out vanish.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Heh, in Terror of Mechagodzilla the aliens use a technology that is represented visually by a jump cut technique where they use a film splice to have the characters disappear from frame to frame with no visual effects.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    And then we have the Rebot Battlestar Galactica where we don't even see them zoom out. Its just flash gone.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1pSxVz-XYo
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,494 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Now you have me curious, what is the "silly vanishing act from TOS" you mention?

There was an episode where the Enterprise stole a Romulan cloak and actually USED it. And back then the cloak effect was just fade out vanish.

I am not sure why one would bring up the cloak when talking about warp drive, but it was not a bad effect for the time. At least it wasn't the "BOING!" and sudden disappearance that most other shows used at the time (Lost in Space used that technique a lot for instance). Also, the movie cloak ripple effect is subtle enough that the fade is a reasonable enough approximation for low-res TV (in fact, in TNG they had to exaggerate it a bit to make it clearly visible). The important thing is it got the idea across without breaking the budget.
    Heh, in Terror of Mechagodzilla the aliens use a technology that is represented visually by a jump cut technique where they use a film splice to have the characters disappear from frame to frame with no visual effects.

It has been so long since I saw that movie that I do not remember how well the technique worked in it, but it reminds me of a martial arts movie that I saw not too long ago where one of the main characters was a teleport but she could not take a lot of extra mass with her (especially the Earth itself) so she would jump and disappear in one location and finish the jump in another using that same kind of cut technique. It worked very well in that movie.

Then there is the opposite, like in the new Charmed. Instead of the relatively simple "shimmer" and "orb" teleport effects the new show looks like it is trying to actively coattail Harry Potter by aping the apportation effect complete with silly rubberband sound effects. It looks busy and overdone and really does not work for them.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User

charmed had something like that if i'm understanding the description correctly - a teleportation power called blinking, usually used by warlocks​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    I am not sure why one would bring up the cloak when talking about warp drive, but it was not a bad effect for the time.

It was the only instance I am aware of in Star Trek of a ship just doing the "silly vanishing act".