test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Return of Discovery TFOs!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
Peril over Pahvo, Pahvo Dissension, Operation Riposte, and The Defense of Starbase One. These Discovery Task Force Operations will be returning with Rise of Discovery, with Advanced and Elite modes, and granting Discovery Marks!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11159853

Comments

• bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    This would make it easier for grinding new marks for the new repand thanks.
    Even though is content just hope STO does consider adding some new storyline content rather than just pew pew pew besides the other 2 missions slated to debut on tomorrows update.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
    I'm surprised that BoBS didn't get included.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Is this the end of the DSC stuff? Can we go back to TRIBBLE over the Milky Way in 2410?

2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    > @thay8472 said:
    > Is this the end of the DSC stuff? Can we go back to TRIBBLE over the Milky Way in 2410?

Agreed.
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Is this the end of the DSC stuff? Can we go back to TRIBBLE over the Milky Way in 2410?
    Is either J'Ula or Killy defeated? No? Then no.

Besides, we have only covered Discovery S1 stuff so far, they still have to do story missions/content for Discovery S2, which is why they have that big "what do you want from S2" thread in the general section.

Let someone else deal with them. Killy is in no position that would make her a threat and J'Ula has a temporal cannon that Daniels and the future federation genocidal union should be dealing with.

Hmmm ... bringing back everyone we've killed or lost in space mushroom land?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Unless we start venturing into Andromeda... we will be dealing with Mirror Tilly at some point. And honestly I like her more than Mirror Leeta.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Let someone else deal with them.
    This could be applied to literally every other arc in the game. At that point, why bother having a game at all?

Besides, we have pretty much taken care of all the logical 2410 threats that are out there. I mean, we have had arcs about
    -The Klingon Empire(which now includes the Gorn, Orions, Nausicaans, Letheans, and Ferasans)
    -The Devidians
    -The Romulan Star Empire
    -The Tal Shiar
    -The True Way + New Link
    -The Dominion
    -The Breen
    -The Borg
    -The Tholians
    -The Voth
    -The Undine
    -The Vaadwaur(and other assorted hostile Delta Quadrant powers)
    -The Iconians
    -The Temporal Liberation Front(Sphere Builders, Krenim, Na'Kuhl, Vorgons, Terrans)
    -The Tzenkethi
    -The Hur'q

Besides like maybe the Sheliak starting something over a supposed treaty violation, or the Kelvans invading from Andromeda, there's really not any major enemy force left in the galaxy to challenge the Alliance.

Then lets go revisit some of these arcs and see what 'X' has been doing since then. Maybe races already in the game can be the next 'big threat'

- Cardassians?
    - Maybe some of these powers will band together to combat the Alliance?
    - Maybe the Borg have found a way to become a threat again?
    - What was the 'Alpha Predator' on Mol'Rihan and have the Hirogen hunted it yet?
    - Are the Gorn going to rebel from the Klingon Empire?
    - Is a portion of the alpha quadrant ready to wage war on the Tzenkathi for their genocidal attacks on various worlds?
    - Is Slamek dead yet?!
    - What are the Breen / Tholians etc up to?
    - Prequel arcs? personally I would like to see the Undine War get it's own arc.

2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
    TFOs, people. This thread is about the returning TFOs.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • xorvxorv Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    I hope the graphical glitch in Pahvo Dissension where the purple shrub blooms all over my screen when I use a melee weapon has been fixed.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,497 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    The return of the DSC TFOs is good, though the nerf of the Starbase One TFO rewards more than negates the benefit.

It makes Lukari and Competitive reps almost useless since neither has any functional TFOs or Battlezones at this point (and no, while the Gon'Cra fix attempt was a nice gesture it failed utterly and the place is mostly deserted except when "kill Tzenkethi ships" endeavors come up) as well as eliminates the last testing ground for builds across a wide range of characters of various levels, factions, and reputation targets.
    Post edited by phoenixc#0738 on
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You will note that these will now seem to not provide Marks Choice Boxes.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    Can't say I'm surprised we have to grind 'old' content to get new marks. I hope they are a bit more generous than normal to help ease the disappointment of having to grind TFOs we're all already tired of for the next 3-4 months. :(
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Is either J'Ula or Killy defeated? No? Then no.

Besides, we have only covered Discovery S1 stuff so far, they still have to do story missions/content for Discovery S2, which is why they have that big "what do you want from S2" thread in the general section.

I'm still waiting for a resolution with Mirror Leeta, which was for a different storyline.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    The return of the DSC TFOs is good, though the nerf of the Starbase One TFO rewards more than negates the benefit.

It makes Lukari and Competitive reps almost useless since neither has any functional TFOs or Battlezones at this point (and no, while the Gon'Cra fix attempt was a nice gesture it failed utterly and the place is mostly deserted except when "kill Tzenkethi ships" endeavors come up) as well as eliminates the last testing ground for builds across a wide range of characters of various levels, factions, and reputation targets.

I have to say I am inclined to agree.

While I like most of the stuff coming in this update, the change to Starbase One is one I view as somewhat negative. The Lukari marks, can still be earned from the TZ Battlezone, but Competitive Marks are going to be problematic.

The queues for these missions are largely deserted and seem to be considered undesirable to a lot of players (though not all.) Being that these queues aren't in the RTFO system, it can be quite a task to get them to pop. With the change to SB1, the only real way to get Competitive Marks now is going to be from the mark boxes earned from RTFO's.

Overall, not the end of the world, the RTFO's can be fun.. but it would have been nice if they would have left competitive marks as an option for SB1 simply because there isn't another consistent way to earn them.

Not a concern for me, I have plenty of them and I do RTFO's all the time.. but that one rep could be problematic for some.

The other changes look good, and I am happy to see Elite Options added.. that is very cool.

Looking forward to giving a couple of these a try (though I'll continue to avoid Pahvo Gauntlet.)
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    No thanks, I don't do discovery queues.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I'm surprised that BoBS didn't get included.
    They mentioned in a livestream that it wasn't included because they might make it an event TFO again later

Like the breach or crystalline?

Wondering if any changes to these tfo's will have been made, such as the skies over pahvo having something thats close to perilous. Or preventing the NPC's from cheating down some agonisers while the players are locked out by an unskippable cutscene.

Given that no changes were made for the console runs which only served to highlight how bad some of the ports systems are I highly doubt it.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,497 Arc User
    edited May 2019

While I like most of the stuff coming in this update, the change to Starbase One is one I view as somewhat negative. The Lukari marks, can still be earned from the TZ Battlezone, but Competitive Marks are going to be problematic.

The queues for these missions are largely deserted and seem to be considered undesirable to a lot of players (though not all.) Being that these queues aren't in the RTFO system, it can be quite a task to get them to pop. With the change to SB1, the only real way to get Competitive Marks now is going to be from the mark boxes earned from RTFO's.

Overall, not the end of the world, the RTFO's can be fun.. but it would have been nice if they would have left competitive marks as an option for SB1 simply because there isn't another consistent way to earn them.

Not a concern for me, I have plenty of them and I do RTFO's all the time.. but that one rep could be problematic for some.

The other changes look good, and I am happy to see Elite Options added.. that is very cool.

Looking forward to giving a couple of these a try (though I'll continue to avoid Pahvo Gauntlet.)

Actually the TZ battlezone is unviable from a return on time invested standpoint, it takes about six times as long to get to get marks from it, so I suspect both Lukari and Competitive mostly will be farmed by people AFKing RTFOs or steering RTFOs (via the other exploit) rather than grind an hour a day at Gon'Cra just to get enough marks for that day's rep project. It really gets disgusting when the things are always shorthanded nowadays.

Actually the TZ battlezone is unviable from a return on time invested standpoint, it takes about six times as long to get to get marks from it, so I suspect both Lukari and Competitive mostly will be farmed by people AFKing RTFOs or steering RTFOs (via the other exploit) rather than grind an hour a day at Gon'Cra just to get enough marks for that day's rep project. It really gets disgusting when the things are always shorthanded nowadays.

If you need Lukari Marks, you fly into the BZ.. cap one zone.. get the daily box and leave.

No one actually tries to complete that BZ, that would be an incredible waste of time. :lol:
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    i've seen it at the dreadnought stage quite a few times since PEs hit live - even joined in once, since i wasn't done with tzenkethi battlezone kills at that point and several ships spawn close by the dreads​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    i've seen it at the dreadnought stage quite a few times since PEs hit live - even joined in once, since i wasn't done with tzenkethi battlezone kills at that point and several ships spawn close by the dreads​​

Yeah, the comment was somewhat of a joke.. the zone can be completed.. it just doesn't happen often. Thing is, even if you do complete the zone, there is still a better then average chance that you won't get any rewards for it. The most efficient use of this zone is to just cap one zone and leave for your daily Lukari Box. If you need the Elite Mark, either do one of the TFO's or just do the 100:1 Daily Mark conversion.

The BZ is a waste of time.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Aye, if the dreadnaught phase is underway, people stay for the duration. The way the king of the hill nodes (don't) work (still!) its a waste of time slogging it out to get to that phase of the BZ.