test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thoughts and Feedback on ''...of Discovery''

kellmg96#5851 kellmg96 Member Posts: 858 Arc User

This is just not fun. The stop and go content. The lack of updates. The lack of playable character species. The Random TFO grind into oblivion. This is just not what I want from this game.
Not a whole lot of people want to 'must do this once a day, for at least 14 to 60 days' to get something.
"Well, how many days'
"We're not saying yet, cause we wanna gauge the feedback'

I dont really want it, even for a free T6 ship.
In ViL, we got all but mission. The new race. And cardassians too. And all the new ships.

And now we get a 2 missions here, random tfo for 3 weeks. Another new mission. Only 2 races playable. Not even the alien everyone wants to play as. No new features for older species in that era, like Andorians or Klingons. That comes later. Later when? Can't say!
Limited ship choices.
No new recruitment feature.
But we get a new rep.......later.......
New important ships playable, but lackluster default bridge. Those come later. Unless they dont.

Honestly would have rather just waited for them to launch in June, so we get the full meal then, and a few sides later.
This is just sucking the fun right out the game.
I redact NOTHING
bvpbRd1.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Most people prefer regular content releases to massive one-time drops, because waiting is boring.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    Overtime releases like this result in boring bland content that's not very engaging and many events designed to try and keep players playing but without making the events very worthwhile. Yeah you can burn through an expansion in a day, but damn it would probably be a pretty fun day seeing all the new stuff. This? This is playing the exact same thing with no changes day in and day out like a chore for mediocre rewards. I'm at the point where I don't even play the new tfos because they're just too boring for basically nothing. But the whole Discovery expansion has felt kind of half assed. A couple mediocre missions that don't keep up well with the quality of the ViL missions, a metric fuckton of events because every player has to play every day, TFOs that have little thought put into them though do tie in better to the story of the game.

So yeah you can drop everything at once in an expansion like ViL, yeah players will get through it in a day but all that content will be more satisfying than a tiny fraction of the content at lower quality, drip fed over several months.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    If you want to wait until the Disco content is all released and play it at once, nobody's stopping you.
    valoreah wrote: »
    westx211 wrote: »
    Yeah you can burn through an expansion in a day, but damn it would probably be a pretty fun day seeing all the new stuff.

And then you would go back to complaining for the remaining 364 days of the year.

I don't, with the way the current content is laid out I can play through older content and still feel pretty good about it, but being "forced"(I know its not really forced) to play through boring tfos over and over again, with only a week or two as a break in between these constant featured events is tiring and not very enjoyable. Its waiting a month to get another crappy featured tfo to play again and again, or maybe we're lucky and get 2 mediocre story missions that introduce new characters and not much happens in. Its just... not fun. I can still enjoy TRIBBLE around with my friends but the game is starting to lose that enjoyment factor for me of just doing star trek things because of this new release style they're trying to try and make sure we always have new content coming in.
    I don't, with the way the current content is laid out I can play through older content and still feel pretty good about it, but being "forced"(I know its not really forced) to play through boring tfos over and over again, with only a week or two as a break in between these constant featured events is tiring and not very enjoyable. Its waiting a month to get another crappy featured tfo to play again and again, or maybe we're lucky and get 2 mediocre story missions that introduce new characters and not much happens in. Its just... not fun. I can still enjoy TRIBBLE around with my friends but the game is starting to lose that enjoyment factor for me of just doing star trek things because of this new release style they're trying to try and make sure we always have new content coming in.

If the TFOs are "crappy" and "boring" then why do force yourself to play them? You're saying older content makes you feel pretty good. Why not play older content instead?

Well considering how I still try to get good dps out of ships for some measure of fun and the current event rewards a console that cuts weapon power cost by 25% its hard to avoid trying to get such a thing since its an immense boost. While I didn't really care for the Crystal turrets from Pahvo or the ground armor, and the dil and mark rewards aren't that great, its hard to not be forced to play the current TFO because while I still don't care for the dil or marks that console will really hurt to not have since it will be many MANY months before they add it into the phoenix box since it seems like for some reason they've decided to stop updating it with rewards.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    While I didn't really care for the Crystal turrets from Pahvo or the ground armor, and the dil and mark rewards aren't that great, its hard to not be forced to play the current TFO ...

You don't want the rewards yet you're "forced" to play for them because otherwise you'll have to wait awhile before you can use phoenix tokens to get the rewards that you do not want?

"Highly Illogical." -- Spock

• vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

This is just not fun. The stop and go content. The lack of updates. The lack of playable character species. The Random TFO grind into oblivion. This is just not what I want from this game.
    Not a whole lot of people want to 'must do this once a day, for at least 14 to 60 days' to get something.
    "Well, how many days'

In ViL, we got all but mission. The new race. And cardassians too. And all the new ships.

And now we get a 2 missions here, random tfo for 3 weeks. Another new mission. Only 2 races playable. Not even the alien everyone wants to play as. No new features for older species in that era, like Andorians or Klingons. That comes later. Later when? Can't say!
    Limited ship choices.
    New important ships playable, but lackluster default bridge. Those come later. Unless they dont.

Honestly would have rather just waited for them to launch in June, so we get the full meal then, and a few sides later.

Just a point of note on this. The reason why they can't say when stuff is being released a lot of the time is because whatever they're working on is likely unfinished and they don't want to give release dates in case they aren't able to deliver on what they promise. Let's look back at the roadmaps they gave us.

- November: Battle at the Binary Stars TFO
    - December: Winter Wonderland 2018
    - January: Mirror of Discovery (Season 16) & Personal Endeavors
    - February: Pahvo Dissension
    - March: Peril over Pahvo; Originally supposed to have been the release of Discovery Constitution but was held back because of Season 2's last few episodes. Also was the original planned release date of Personal Endeavors.

- April: First Contact Day, Operation: Riposte TFO; supposedly a different TFO was probably planned for here and got moved, as it was mentioned "Limited Engagement" and maybe has been delayed.
    - May: Rise of Discovery (Season 17): I have some ideas based on what they have teased below, but besides 2 new episodes, we're getting the expansion of the scaling ships to include all T6 ships, a new Reputation track, and probably a few other things we don't know of yet.
    - June: By this time, the Coupon should be active for the TFO events. Possible release also of the Discovery Constitution
    - July: Lohlunat Summer Festival

For the record, Discovery Klingons are probably still being worked out on how they want to implement them. I mean, there are some that honestly want a Discovery Klingon experience akin to Discovery Klingons. They probably also want to include as much customization for Discovery Klingons as possible, Season 1 and Season 2 options included.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User

"Well, how many days'

Limited ship choices.

Isn't "Stop and go" more or or less precluding "Lack of updates" ?

If you have TFO fatigue, take a break. The game is free to play, and will be here when you come back. No one is forcing anyone to participate in a TFO or any content for that matter. The new TFO's are content and I've been enjoying the stead stream of things to do aside from the same, 4 year or older TFO's I normally run for marks or hilarity's sake. We had a new recruitment event this summer with VIL.

You can't complain about "No content" while simultaneously complaining about the content (TFOs) being non-stop. Play what you like. Ignore what you don't.

Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'I am tired!!! - Anton Karidian
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Still your own decision to play content you don't like.

I'm also allowed to voice my opinion on things I don't like and tell other people why I don't like them in the case of discussion. I hope that the developers can do better than this, though I am aware some of their staff was transferred to work on the Magic the Gathering MMO so that's probably why the game is in the current state its in.
    While I didn't really care for the Crystal turrets from Pahvo or the ground armor, and the dil and mark rewards aren't that great, its hard to not be forced to play the current TFO ...

You don't want the rewards yet you're "forced" to play for them because otherwise you'll have to wait awhile before you can use phoenix tokens to get the rewards that you do not want?

Awhile is an understatement. The sheer power that console has because of that bonus is ridiculous and having to wait many *MANY* months, possibly even a year with how they seem to not care about updating that box makes it so I need to.

If anything its very logical because I either sit through 14 days of content I abhor and don't like in any form, or wait potentially over 12 months to get an alternative way to get it. 14 days of pain over months of nothingness? It seems you failed to see the logic in my argument.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited April 2019

Awhile is an understatement. The sheer power that console has because of that bonus is ridiculous and having to wait many *MANY* months, possibly even a year with how they seem to not care about updating that box makes it so I need to.

If anything its very logical because I either sit through 14 days of content I abhor and don't like in any form, or wait potentially over 12 months to get an alternative way to get it. 14 days of pain over months of nothingness? It seems you failed to see the logic in my argument.

The part I quoted wasn't about that console:

"While I didn't really care for the Crystal turrets from Pahvo or the ground armor, and the dil and mark rewards aren't that great, its hard to not be forced to play the current TFO ..."

Why did you spend 28 days playing "content (you) abhor " for rewards you didn't want?

The part I quoted wasn't about that console:

"While I didn't really care for the Crystal turrets from Pahvo or the ground armor, and the dil and mark rewards aren't that great, its hard to not be forced to play the current TFO ..."

Why did you spend 28 days playing "content (you) abhor " for rewards you didn't want?

I didn't play through those other events per se, I afked them entirely as has been a growing movement in game. A few channels have formed for the sole purpose of afking events and all I had to do was join up, then collect the reward and leave. This current TFO isn't quite afkable as it has many instances of forced participation. And sorry I misinterpreted what you said.
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    The constant monthly TFOs are a BAD grind for me, I am soon gonna have to make a decision is it worth the stress just to have an item i may not use or go thru the stress just to get it to have. So for me, this is not working, and it would be good if the grind TFOs stopped.
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    While I dont mind the TFO events now that I've stopped runnign them on more than 1 toon because I waas just getting REALLY bleh about them doing it for the dil on multipule i can agree. Discovery as a whole has been a bit lack luster as the focus of what has been coming out. Not sure if it's what they're working with or how they're executing it but it's just a whole lotta.. meh to me.

n ya know.. the lack of Romulan content has been taking it from meh, to making me angry
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2019

As with daytime TV, "because nothing else was on." ;)

Cryptic has the numbers to support or refute their current policy but a concept that might be good to employ when talking with folks who are burnt out from TFO's is "diminishing returns." Focusing on one form of content for three months is quite liable to depreciate said content irrespective of preference. Add to that: preference and you can see how the current grind might be affecting people. There's a lot to be said for varying the cadence more with other forms of content (at the same scale of development as TFO's.) For example: more sector alerts (building with each add on towards a full AQ/BQ sector battlezone) or small episodes utilizing Cryptic original characters and existing maps (less cost v. cameos and allowing for more exploration of the STO original setting.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    For the most part I've really enjoyed the Disco content. The story missions definitely take longer to come out than they used to, but... have you seen the original missions? There's a big difference between the no voice over shoot 'em ups that the game first launched with, and the newest missions that most often include:

- extensive voice over work, usually for every line of dialogue you read
    - an entirely new map
    - mission rewards that require the development of new abilities
    - cut-scenes with actual animations of both your character and the NPCs

I just take a break if I finish the content, and play other games until something new comes along a couple of months later.

And especially because STO is releasing stories that go along with the shows that are currently in-progress, there's probably only so far they can get ahead of things without accidentally diverging from the shows.

As for the 'do a thing for a couple weeks to get a thing,' that's pretty much how MMOs work. They make things you want, and encourage you to log in daily for maybe half an hour or so each day to work towards getting the thing. For me, if I don't want the new shiny, I just won't do the event. Or I will do the event, because now that event-based tokens can be reused for the next event I'll run the current one to stock up in preparation for next time.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    nixboox wrote: »
    The understanding I get is that the Devs weren't in a rush to do ANY Discovery content but they were ordered to do it, trying to make Discovery more relevant.

They weren't forced into it. They asked.
    Now that Discovery is "over", I expect it is a gut wrenching feeling to have rushed to make content that no one really asked for, didn't want, and isn't relevant to STO.

All Trek is relevant to STO. Even the Kelvin Timeline, Enterprise, and Voyager.
    And you don't speak for everyone, so please don't try to. You speak only for yourself. Not me. Not anyone else.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Now that Discovery is "over", I expect it is a gut wrenching feeling to have rushed to make content that no one really asked for, didn't want, and isn't relevant to STO. Maybe we'll have better luck with Picard.

The season is over. That's how TV shows work. Disco has been renewed for at least a third season, at which point the Section 31 show will either pick up where Disco left off, or the two will run in parallel for a bit. Just like the entire DS9 run was in parallel with TNG and then VOY.

On top of that, there's been a very vocal part of the fan base that is literally begging for a Pike spin-off.

Disco, or at the very least the time period it represents, is not even close to "over."
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I think that Cryptic was on the right track with the story content in ViL. It's just disappointing that it was completely dropped out of the blue. I do watch ST:D and it's more or less decent as far as shows go. I think it's good for the game for Cryptic to include ST:D content and they should continue to do so since it's obviously a good idea to try to tie the game into a currently ongoing show. I just wish that it didn't come at the expense of what they were building with the ViL expansion last year.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Actually... I think they had intended to finish where they did. Its just HOW it ended that changed. Before they got the green light, I think they were planning to revisit Mirror Leeta. That got pushed back when they got the green light on Discovery stuff.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    The understanding I get is that the Devs weren't in a rush to do ANY Discovery content but they were ordered to do it, trying to make Discovery more relevant. Now that Discovery is "over", I expect it is a gut wrenching feeling to have rushed to make content that no one really asked for, didn't want, and isn't relevant to STO. Maybe we'll have better luck with Picard.

that is isnt true at all. they wanted to do it, they werent ordered. ........

"Well, how many days'

Limited ship choices.

Just a point of note on this. The reason why they can't say when stuff is being released a lot of the time is because whatever they're working on is likely unfinished and they don't want to give release dates in case they aren't able to deliver on what they promise. Let's look back at the roadmaps they gave us.

- November: Battle at the Binary Stars TFO
    - December: Winter Wonderland 2018
    - January: Mirror of Discovery (Season 16) & Personal Endeavors
    - February: Pahvo Dissension
    - March: Peril over Pahvo; Originally supposed to have been the release of Discovery Constitution but was held back because of Season 2's last few episodes. Also was the original planned release date of Personal Endeavors.

- April: First Contact Day, Operation: Riposte TFO; supposedly a different TFO was probably planned for here and got moved, as it was mentioned "Limited Engagement" and maybe has been delayed.
    - May: Rise of Discovery (Season 17): I have some ideas based on what they have teased below, but besides 2 new episodes, we're getting the expansion of the scaling ships to include all T6 ships, a new Reputation track, and probably a few other things we don't know of yet.
    - June: By this time, the Coupon should be active for the TFO events. Possible release also of the Discovery Constitution
    - July: Lohlunat Summer Festival

For the record, Discovery Klingons are probably still being worked out on how they want to implement them. I mean, there are some that honestly want a Discovery Klingon experience akin to Discovery Klingons. They probably also want to include as much customization for Discovery Klingons as possible, Season 1 and Season 2 options included.

Thats what im saying
    dont give me a new hero ship now, and its bridge is seen in a month from now in a TFO, and then 2 months we finally get the whole ship and bridge, honestly i'd rather just wait

I don't know what you're on, but I think you're thinking that the Discovery content is going to be coming piece wise for everything.

1) They held off on the Discovery Constitution from release in March, presumably because they were told that the Enterprise was going to a focus on for the last couple of episodes of the season. They wanted to see what the ship was capable of.

2) The Discovery & Walker bridges were added at a later date because (and I'm speculating on this) they didn't have the time to build the maps in time. Remember that at the time that Discovery was just coming out, they were working on Victory is Life planning. Ships take a shorter amount of time to work on than an environment map.

3) I have a distinct feeling that when they release it, the Discovery Constitution and its bridge will likely both come together.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
This discussion has been closed.