124»

Comments

• Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    starkaos wrote: »
    valoreah wrote: »
    Not even TNG had that.

If they insist on nothing but prequels, we're gonna have the hot irons at their feet.
    stop the prequel nonsense, since since 2002, it's been prequel, prequel, prequel.

Enough, already. Go foreword, for once.

From 1987 to 2001 you essentially had sequels. There are still plenty of stories to tell in the pre-ENT or post-TOS eras.

Prequels limit creativity since the prequels are restricted by the originals. So a prequel can't have Qo'noS destroyed since it exists in the other Star Trek series unless it uses an idiotic time travel reset. Sequels don't have the restrictions that prequels have.
    But if you want a Star Trek story, you already want limit creativity. It can't be a story about Vulcans that swing Light Sabers, or about the Earth Alliance Star Force Division making their first contact with the Scarran, because that isn't "Star Trek".

Constraints are not necessarily bad for creativity. Sometimes they is what really makes you come up with a good story. You need the boundaries.

Which I've barely seen in disco >_>

I hesitate to ask this as I really like you and have a great deal of respect for you and your artistic talent.

However, I have to ask - do you even watch Discovery? And if you do, why? I mean, from the stories to the asthetic and the characters, you seem to hate everything about it.

I mean, I tried watching The Orville and, for various reasons (entirely personal and therefore not worth elaborating upon) decided it wasn't to my taste. What I haven't done is continue watching it for the sole purpose of picking it all apart and posting my distaste of it on various forums/FB groups.

I only watch it when someone else is watching. For example, my mom stopped by with the first season on disk, and both us went, "this is NOT Trek...it's too dark, gloomy, and pessimistic"

And when one sees something they loved seeing before, being reduced to something that cares more about the average viewer, rather than long time fandoms....seeing fans more like liabilities rather than assets.....that really greaves me. And if this is what things will be like....we're seeing it with Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Marvel, etc....where the execs are more concerned pumping out more product for the average slob, who could care less about nothing...apart from seeing stuff blow up....nihilistism...and T&A......yea......that's bad, I feel.

And given hypocrisy about CBS.....whining and crying about fans films...to be point they pretty much neutered fan films.....and YET accused of stealing an indie game developer's stuff.....(Sorry, but I am for this guy....it's amazing how some of you, who will remain nameless...supports CBS in this....I don't get how if a big, multi-billion dollar corporation cry and whines and lashes out...it's 'copy right infringement', when when a regular, normal individual, aka 'the little guy' does the same thing, it's a 'sob story'....I really don't get it....).....annoys me even more so.

Personally, I'd prefer to see Star Trek, one day, go into the public domain, like Sherlock Holmes has. And, given the message and vision Gene wanted to give to us, I think it would be fitting. I'd rather see that then see how corporations and greedy execs, who don't give a damn about anything but profit margins mess up stuff, just so they can another ivory back scratcher, as it were.

That's just me.

dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    BTW, how is nobody talking about this scene:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWTSA4qgr5k

How was it in the script?

"Leland enters the bridge and casually shoots everyone while nobody even does anything to try and stop him. No display of Control's powers to show how hopeless it is, he just accurately shoots them and they all die in one hit. Also, please try to make him convincingly lift Burnham, but it's not that important. And make Georgiou utterly useless instead of using the foreshadowing of Gabrielle having seen her sacrifice herself for Burnham. Also, make Burnham manage to grab a phaser and not even attempt to fire it while Leland takes time to make a stoically badass weapon swap"?

And at one point, Nhan's actress went "you know, maybe I should actually try to do something in that scene even if it's futile, to make this last stand more emotional and convincing?"

Reno's vision was more convincing and scary.

In terms of "unstoppable killing machine with superpowers utterly annihilates a crew of hopeless scared mortals in their last stand", Rogue One made a much better work because the victims still attempted to fight back and slow the enemy down even if they knew they were already dead. He also used his power in a casual way to a terrifying effect. Heck, when the last fighting soldier got his weapon yanked away, he fell back just to grab another one.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    BTW, how is nobody talking about this scene:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWTSA4qgr5k

How was it in the script?

"Leland enters the bridge and casually shoots everyone while nobody even does anything to try and stop him. No display of Control's powers to show how hopeless it is, he just accurately shoots them and they all die in one hit. Also, please try to make him convincingly lift Burnham, but it's not that important. And make Georgiou utterly useless instead of using the foreshadowing of Gabrielle having seen her sacrifice herself for Burnham. Also, make Burnham manage to grab a phaser and not even attempt to fire it while Leland takes time to make a stoically badass weapon swap"?

And at one point, Nhan's actress went "you know, maybe I should actually try to do something in that scene even if it's futile, to make this last stand more emotional and convincing?"

Reno's vision was more convincing and scary.

In terms of "unstoppable killing machine with superpowers utterly annihilates a crew of hopeless scared mortals in their last stand", Rogue One made a much better work because the victims still attempted to fight back and slow the enemy down even if they knew they were already dead. He also used his power in a casual way to a terrifying effect. Heck, when the last fighting soldier got his weapon yanked away, he fell back just to grab another one.

Hmm... again find myself in agreement. I guess enjoying an episode doesn't mean I have to overlook the flaws.

Anyway, agreed - making a foe unstoppable doesn't mean you have to make the 'heroes' look like useless chumps.

Kinda like the phaser simulation bit in the Federation/Klingon tutorial, and at least that had an excuse.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    I mean, I tried watching The Orville and, for various reasons (entirely personal and therefore not worth elaborating upon) decided it wasn't to my taste. What I haven't done is continue watching it for the sole purpose of picking it all apart and posting my distaste of it on various forums/FB groups.
    The question becomes, "Are there parts of the Orville you like? Are there parts of the Orville you dislike? If the parts you dislike were changed or corrected, would you watch the Orville?"

If you answered "yes" to all three, then you are doing a disservice to the Orville by not outlining what you like and dislike about the show. Without that feedback, the powers that be will not have your voice when deciding what direction to take the show. In fact, your criticisms might mirror several other viewer's opinions, so adding your voice lends more weight to those issues.

You may think "Well, they will never listen to me". Perhaps. However, the reality is "no one can hear words that were never spoken".
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    However, if you have never watched The Orville, then there can be no basis on which you can make statements regarding what improvements can be made. (IMO, they made the most necessary improvements in the first season, as they trended away from the sophomoric humor that's usually been Seth's trademark, and which Fox clearly expected him to use on his new show.) And no one is under any obligation to entertain criticisms based on ignorance and assumption.

The same, of course, applies to Star Trek: Discovery. If you don't watch it, then you have no basis to critique it. I don't offer suggestions for, say, those Real Housewives shows that seem to be so popular, or Game of Thrones, or any of a number of other television productions, because I don't watch them, so I cannot have an informed opinion of them.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Here is where I am hoping to dear god they don't follow an old Trek tradition here - namely fantastic cliffhanger followed by a less than spectacular payoff.
    I'd argue that applies to almost all fiction. One example I personally found to be particularly memorable:
    latest?cb=20180121191113

It was a confrontation that some comic fans had literally been waiting over a DECADE to see! The lead up was great. Lyja's Skrull friends talked her into helping them push the Fantastic Four's HQ into the Negative zone, thus preventing the FF from using it. But she does all that while pretending to be Susan Storm, and when Johnny Storm inevitably figures out she's not his sister this happens^

The immediate follow up(part 2) was pretty good. Lyja and Johnny have an angry conversation about love and loss while dogfighting in the other dimensional void known as the Negative Zone. Then Lyja eventually realizes that part of the resentment she felt was actually her resenting her herself for not having acted on her feelings. They kiss and make up... after getting mauled by a space jellyfish.

Then we have part 3 of the story.... I kinda felt like the actual story was over and the rest was just a long winded magic reset button. Oh and Lyja was never seen again.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg