test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

First Contact Day, Is Quality Supposed To Matter

razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
I didn't get to run the event yesterday. But I did get to do it today on 2 toons. On one toon, I had 2 greens and 1 blue, and beat out someone else that had 1 purple and 2 blue components on their rocket. On the other toon, I had 3 purples, only got a distance of 9. and someone else that had all green components beat all but 1 person that had only 1 component that was better quality than all of his.

I also did all of the mini game where you line up the wavy lines. And still had time left over before the rockets were tested.

So, I am wondering if the quality is supposed to actually matter, and the mission is bugged? Or if it is all just a gamble, and doesn't matter? If it is the later, then it is pointless to keep looking after getting whatever you find the first time.

Razar.
Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    RNG - So do you feel lucky? The higher the quality the better the odds... but that is it. Even with full Purple you can lose to someone with some Blue... rare but possible. Would be totally wicked if someone with All Green wins over someone with All Purple...
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    You can be full purple and explode just off the launch pad. You can get the top rocket with only a stabiliser no hull or engine, which might be considered important for a thrust based vehicle, required.

In theory chasing the purple bits and wasting time mashing F to convert scrap has an impact on the end result but in the end it's just an RNG that decides if it'll fly well.

Does make it go a wee bit higher but as usual the game doesn't like to reward for effort and doesn't bother to try having any depth to the rocket building.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    It has no impact on the end reward, whether you get all purples, or if you afk the event.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The quality generally does matter.

People who get all purple parts tend to go significantly farther then people stuck with all greens. etc. etc.
    Yeah here's an example from one of my runs:

while all-purple isn't guaranteed to do best, it usually does.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Then RNG gets in the way (like my first one this year) and you go about 1/8 the bar on all purple and your ship explodes and the green one beats you and the other purple
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Yeah, it's RNG, though I don't just stand around and do nothing. I still run around and gather parts, improve them (or try to), and watch what happens. It's more fun than standing around with my thumb in my mouth.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    I might just not do anything on one of them, and see what happens then. I just felt like I was wasting my time going through all that trouble, and then it all end up being a gamble in the end. If the quality isn't important, that really takes away from the fun of the whole event.

I think the developers need to stop focus on making so many things gamble oriented, and focus on the quality of the game play. This is supposed to be a celebration of First Contact Day. Not First Gamble Day. lol.

I do love the scenery though. They did do that right.

Razar.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I wouldn't mind seeing Bozeman, Montanna sticking around as a social map either. Would make a great place to just walk around in casual clothes. Also wouldn't mind seeing Utopia Planitia available again for people who want to look around a shipyard facility.

At least they'd have more to do than Andoria.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    blitzy4 wrote: »
    Then RNG gets in the way (like my first one this year) and you go about 1/8 the bar on all purple and your ship explodes and the green one beats you and the other purple
    That's like saying "why bother getting +4 when a guy rolling an unmodified die might beat you anyways". You're still more likely to win than he is.

It doesn't matter who wins really but I like to try.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    There was a few times where I was the only one with all purple but someone with two purples and one blue was beating me.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I guess like it's like the difference in D&D between having an ordinary sword that grants no bonus to the attack, or a +3 sword that adds +3. If you add a d20 roll to that, there is still a good chance the +3 sword will miss a target, and the ordinary sword hits. Statistically, the +3 sword will hit more often, but if you just roll for an attack twice, the random nature wins.
    It would be more noticeable if it was just the roll of, say, a d4. Then the +3 sword would always beat the ordinary no-bonus sword. But that is not how Cryptic set it up.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Those completely un-upgraded rockets that blow up right above the launch pad have caused me injuries that required me to go to sickbay. These slackers are causing many Characters much pain and suffering. Time for a class action lawsuit. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    I guess like it's like the difference in D&D between having an ordinary sword that grants no bonus to the attack, or a +3 sword that adds +3. If you add a d20 roll to that, there is still a good chance the +3 sword will miss a target, and the ordinary sword hits. Statistically, the +3 sword will hit more often, but if you just roll for an attack twice, the random nature wins.
    It would be more noticeable if it was just the roll of, say, a d4. Then the +3 sword would always beat the ordinary no-bonus sword. But that is not how Cryptic set it up.
    I'd say that a proper analogy using a D20 would be that each piece of purple gear gives your rocket something like +5 to your d20 roll. People with lesser gear can win but it's rare.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Something about a blue stabilizer and purple everything else made it more likely to win since it happened exactly 3 different occasions.

Edit: Hahaa! It happened again as I completed it right now. :joy:
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I have not been in a match where the rockets with nothing beat one with all purples. In fact, they generally barely got off the ground.

Now I have had some with inferior gear to mine beat mine, but at least they were geared.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    Something about a blue stabilizer and purple everything else made it more likely to win since it happened exactly 3 different occasions.

Edit: Hahaa! It happened again as I completed it right now. :joy:

I noticed last year that the impact of the parts categories were weighted differently. I doubt that it's on purpose that they're in alphabetical order, but they are. Engine quality has the greatest effect, Hull quality has a medium effect and Stabilizer quality has very little effect. The difference between a blue and purple Stabilizer is well within the margin of random chance that you'll see between two ships with the same quality of components that make it more than 40 meters.
    The quality generally does matter.

People who get all purple parts tend to go significantly farther then people stuck with all greens. etc. etc.
    Yeah here's an example from one of my runs:

while all-purple isn't guaranteed to do best, it usually does.

This is generally my experience, as well. Occasionally, you'll get a fluke occurrence, usually a very good rocket failing shortly after takeoff, or a critical failure, but sometimes a rocket with poor components exceeding all expectations, or a critical success. It's like a duty officer assignment, but we don't get to see the chances for Disaster, Critical and the rest.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
This discussion has been closed.