test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pre-2409 TNG series ground phasers

thevaliant47304thevaliant47304 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
Am I the only one, or is there a big enough demand for the Dev's to notice, that the game needs some TNG era ground phasers aside from the Type III rifle? A Type I phaser from TNG would be great. Even better would be a Type II either from TNG season 3-7 or a Voyager/DS9/First Contact model. I would even settle for the dust-buster style type II. I love the beam FX for the phasers in the game, but can't bring myself to using the bloated, over built MK XV phaser pistol that is in-game right now. Could we at least get an option to disable the visuals to have the MK I style?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    I'll sign on if we can also get the Star Trek III phaser used by Uhura against Mr. Adventure.
  • thevaliant47304thevaliant47304 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I wouldn't see why the Star Trek III phaser would be hard; its very similar in build to the Kelvin phaser we have now...
    To be fair, I don't think we've ever seen that model fire. Wait! The last episode with Wesley Crusher on TNG used that model.

Yup. Totally doable right along with the Dustbuster model.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Wouldn't mind seeing a Type 2, as well as the First Contact style rifle.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    No. Its the ST5/6 Assault Phaser. And the Lobi weapon is the ST2 phaser.
    The one being requested... is this one that Uhura pulled.
    98d8a23fd60826a2a474c5b4f5811707.jpg?itok=eg4MvcBz
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    The Assault Phaser was a one piece thing without a Type 1 attachment. The ST3 pistol looks like an evolved TOS pistol.
    18295806026_374359de7c_o.jpg
  • thevaliant47304thevaliant47304 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    The big thing is, the Original Series era (including the movies and JJ-movies) have seen a lot of additions in regards to ground items/uniforms. We've seen pistols and rifles left and right, but there's a huge gap between the time of Star Trek VI and 2409 where we have basically 1 option, the Type III rifle. TNG fans really need a pistol. We have those really cool Yesterday's Enterprise belts but no phaser to go with them, Voyager and First Contact uniforms and no phaser to go with them. it really sucks the immersion into those styles down the drain when you don't have a complete set to match. Take the TOS type I and re-skin it a bit - we saw it from TNG Season 1 all the way up to a later season Voyager episode (which matched in time with First Contact phasers too). Being so small, they wouldn't have to put extreme details into it too...
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Dayum, I totally forgot about that phaser! But yeah, it's definitely one of a select few omissions.

Not counting rifles, just counting pistols, we currently have (and someone correct me if I'm wrong, pls!):
    • TOS
    • early-TOS movies
    • late-TOS movies
    • DSC

We're missing only:
    • mid-TOS movies
    • all 3 TNG/DS9/VOY variants
    • ENT

I can understand why the TNG/DS9/VOY phasers aren't in the game, tbh, given that STO's standard phasers are modeled after the last variant. And we do have the TNG rifle and VOY/TNG movie rifle for good measure.

What confuses me is why the ENT phaser is missing. That thing is very unique.

(also, for anyone truly holding my list to account... CAN I HAZ "THE CAGE" LASER PLZ?!)
    Closest we have to an Enterprise Phase Pistol is the Elite Fleet Wide Beam pistol.

And we don't have the TNG movie rifle. We do have the Voyager Fork Rifle though.
    P494_1.jpg
    The TNG Movie Compression Rifle is probably in the same boat as the late TNG era Type 2.
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Enterprise didn't have Phasers, they had Phase Pistols.

Yes. They had phasers. Glad we're all on the same page.
    edited March 2019
    Enterprise didn't have Phasers, they had Phase Pistols.

I mean if we're going to get crazy levels of technical, yes. The 2150s-era guns were pre-phaser technology, to be replaced with lasers by "The Cage" era, then finally and ultimately replaced for good by phasers in the second TOS pilot.

But DSC screws with that timeline of events. Yes, Pike's laser pistol is seen in a flashback before Pike enters the DSC scene, but unless Kirk replaced Pike at the time he went to Discovery... at which point the whole uniform thing comes into question because "The Cage" uniform technically predates and replaces the DSC uniform... yeah. So did phasers start with DSC? Were they always around, just called something different in the 2150s because someone didn't think of the name yet? Were lasers a one-off experiment with Pike's Enterprise, given that Cornwell specifically calls him and his ship "the best" of Starfleet? This raises far too many questions.

All that to say, I seriously doubt Cryptic is going to make an entirely new type of energy just to fit in ENT phase pistols anyways, unless they're worried about backlash from this very type of comment.
    The Phase pistol is basically an early Phaser.

Honestly I'd say that the Cage Laser Pistol was pretty much retconned by the Discovery Phaser Pistol, which does have a similar barrel. And I think they are pretty much retconning the Cage style uniforms post Discovery and replacing them with the more TOS regular style/TOS Discovery style. Which is fine by me. Could say that the "laser" pistol is just a phaser variant. Maybe the immediate predesessor to the Discovery pistol.
    edited March 2019
    I tend to agree with what you just said, sadly. Mainly because I'd love to have The Cage uniforms, if not just for the women's uniform collar.

Although as is clear from my pic and sig, I'm a fan of the DSC uniforms once they went from ENT+metals back to regular colours. I wish Pike had brought those aboard Discovery and didn't change out to a uniform he pointed out was older.

EDIT: forgot to go back onto topic... I do like the DSC phasers though, that's definitely a great design, even if it leans more towards the TOS movie-era phasers like the one mentioned by OP, as opposed to TOS-era phasers.
    edited March 2019
    Only Constitution class crews have the new uniforms. Once Pike took command of Discovery he followed regulations. Also Discovery is no more "TRIBBLE with the timeline" than TMP was.

I mean... not really?

There's no evidence I recall that all Connies have the new uniforms. And that still doesn't explain why Pike wore The Cage uniform, then the colour DSC uniform, then when Kirk took the Enterprise he went back to The Cage uniform for a bit.

We're kinda at the mercy of the showrunners as to when and how things play out. That's why my post a couple above asks more questions than gives any answers :blush:

Also, I'm definitely confused about TMP being an issue. Wasn't it the only 2270s thing we've seen? With the uniform progression going TOS to TMP to TWOK?

EDIT: I'm wrong on that. I just checked Memory Alpha, and everything goes like this:
    - The Cage: 2254
    - TOS: 2265-69
    - TMP: "2270s"
    - TWOK: 2285

BUT! We see the TWOK uniforms as early as 2278 in a TNG episode.

But again, it remains to be seen how much DSC toys with TOS-related stuff.
  • jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    Id love to see first contact set of weapons, as well as TNG phaser variants. One of my gripes ingame is that if you take a mk1 phaser and upgrade it repeatedly it looks the same as any other higher marked phaser, usually with holographic sh*t all over it. While holographic stuff can be cool from time to time there are a lot of people who just want phasers etc like the shows and movies.

Sadly we asked for this stuff since launch and still nothing, but always worth a try.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Only Constitution class crews have the new uniforms. Once Pike took command of Discovery he followed regulations. Also Discovery is no more "TRIBBLE with the timeline" than TMP was.

I mean... not really?

There's no evidence I recall that all Connies have the new uniforms. And that still doesn't explain why Pike wore The Cage uniform, then the colour DSC uniform, then when Kirk took the Enterprise he went back to The Cage uniform for a bit.

We're kinda at the mercy of the showrunners as to when and how things play out. That's why my post a couple above asks more questions than gives any answers :blush:

Also, I'm definitely confused about TMP being an issue. Wasn't it the only 2270s thing we've seen? With the uniform progression going TOS to TMP to TWOK?

EDIT: I'm wrong on that. I just checked Memory Alpha, and everything goes like this:
    - The Cage: 2254
    - TOS: 2265-69
    - TMP: "2270s"
    - TWOK: 2285

BUT! We see the TWOK uniforms as early as 2278 in a TNG episode.

But again, it remains to be seen how much DSC toys with TOS-related stuff.

It's not an issue. During the period between TNG and NEM there are at least two and sometimes three uniforms that are in use simultaneously.
    The TNGS3-7 uniform and the DS9 uniform with the VGR variant of the DS9 uniform all crossing over in use. The latter two are the same uniform in different variations.
    The TOS Pilot turtlenecks exist alongside the DSC jumpsuits and the coloured versions of the DSC jumpsuits.
    • From a date unknown to 2235 the Kelvin uniform is in use
    • From around 2236 to 2265 the TOS pilot uniforms and DSC jumpsuits are used (and from the mid to late 50s a coloured version of the latter is issued for Conni crews).
    • From 2266 to 2270 the TOS uniforms are used for most of Starfleet, but some crews still wear the TOS Pilot uniforms.
    • Between 2272 and at least 2285 we don't speak of what Starfleet were wearing as it was awful beyond words.
    • Then from 2285 to at least the disappearance of the Enterprise C the three versions of the TWoK uniform is in use.
    ​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Actually the "Voyager" variant was just the same Type B uniform that was worn by DS9 personnel. The Type A was used aboard starships like Enterprise until about 2370 or so, when they all switched to the Type B, then eventually switched over to what we see in First Contact. The switch to the Type B and the TNG movie style combadge also coinsided with the deployment of USS Voyager.

Voyager never got the new uniforms, so they continued to use the older one for the duration even after getting into contact with Starfleet.
    edited March 2019
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Actually the "Voyager" variant was just the same Type B uniform that was worn by DS9 personnel. The Type A was used aboard starships like Enterprise until about 2370 or so, when they all switched to the Type B, then eventually switched over to what we see in First Contact. The switch to the Type B and the TNG movie style combadge also coinsided with the deployment of USS Voyager.

Voyager never got the new uniforms, so they continued to use the older one for the duration even after getting into contact with Starfleet.

Wait... In an era of pattern replication you're running with Voyager never got the new uniforms? That's weird considering the many cases of visual contact plus Janeways zealotry toward adherence to Starfleet/Federation standards.

Of course we know what was really going on; Some studio moron decided, "If they all wear the same uniform then people will get confused and not know which show they're watching," as if Voyager and Deep Space Nine were nearly indistinguishable already.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    > @theboxisred said:
    >
    > Of course we know what was really going on; Some studio moron decided, "If they all wear the same uniform then people will get confused and not know which show they're watching," as if Voyager and Deep Space Nine were nearly indistinguishable already.

This is literally the reason uniforms and starships changed for every installment of the IP. Especially noticeable is that Paramount created new background ships for their movies starting with FC (Generations only used stock footage) and didn't allow the new Enterprise to be used in the shows.

Regarding the uniforms, I loathe the DSC uniforms. Cuff ranks and TOS colour coding makes then "better", but I'd prefer Kelvin style uniforms, especially in the flashback scenes with Georgieu. It's just lazy they simply used the default uniforms for that.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

No the uniforms are different. The cambadges were swapped. The colours (especially blue) were different and the undershirt was blue grey not grey.
    Subtly different but different.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @theboxisred said:
    >
    > Of course we know what was really going on; Some studio moron decided, "If they all wear the same uniform then people will get confused and not know which show they're watching," as if Voyager and Deep Space Nine were nearly indistinguishable already.

This is literally the reason uniforms and starships changed for every installment of the IP. Especially noticeable is that Paramount created new background ships for their movies starting with FC (Generations only used stock footage) and didn't allow the new Enterprise to be used in the shows.

Regarding the uniforms, I loathe the DSC uniforms. Cuff ranks and TOS colour coding makes then "better", but I'd prefer Kelvin style uniforms, especially in the flashback scenes with Georgieu. It's just lazy they simply used the default uniforms for that.

The uniform thing is just the tip of the iceberg, too, as you've indicated.

Just think of all the damage that could be avoided for these popular franchises if they were to use the fan base as a resource instead of treating them as a scourge.

Let's say you, as a studio, run a contest; Sort of a fan trivia kind of thing. Use the four "winners" as consultants for certain things for a minor fee. Say $500.00. Fans would jump on that. It would make the studio look great. Discovery would have good looking uniforms. Rey would have training. The Doctor wouldn't be a hater-baiter. I haven't seen Captain Marvel for myself so I'll refrain from speculating there.

I guess $2000.00 is too expensive, though. Better to pay off a web site, movie critics, and to reserve a whole mess of theater seats.
    > @theboxisred said:
    >
    > The uniform thing is just the tip of the iceberg, too, as you've indicated.
    >
    > Just think of all the damage that could be avoided for these popular franchises if they were to use the fan base as a resource instead of treating them as a scourge.
    >
    > Let's say you, as a studio, run a contest; Sort of a fan trivia kind of thing. Use the four "winners" as consultants for certain things for a minor fee. Say $500.00. Fans would jump on that. It would make the studio look great. Discovery would have good looking uniforms. Rey would have training. The Doctor wouldn't be a hater-baiter. I haven't seen Captain Marvel for myself so I'll refrain from speculating there.
    >
    > I guess $2000.00 is too expensive, though. Better to pay off a web site, movie critics, and to reserve a whole mess of theater seats.

Excuse me, but... what❓

I see no problem whatsoever with anything on your list but the DSC uniforms and I have no idea where the 2000 moneys come from you mentioned.

Fan opinion is as diverse as it can get, it's not a close knit community. Nemesis was written by a "huge fan" and that was a complete train wreck.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

Wait... In an era of pattern replication you're running with Voyager never got the new uniforms? That's weird considering the many cases of visual contact plus Janeways zealotry toward adherence to Starfleet/Federation standards.

Of course we know what was really going on; Some studio moron decided, "If they all wear the same uniform then people will get confused and not know which show they're watching," as if Voyager and Deep Space Nine were nearly indistinguishable already.

By that logic Voyager could have used the new uniforms by the time DS9 was off the air, which they didn't. ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    The type-IIs are all in the game (save for the Dustbuster, number 5) but unfortunately locked to Tier 1 weapons and there is njo way to keep the visuals. I hope at some point the ground weapons get an overhaul with improved models and a system to customize them, including keeping the base visuals.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
This discussion has been closed.