What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Jean Grey Movie Trailer: Dark Phoenix

brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User

Comments

• Options
    I guess I'm more of a story than an eye-candy guy. I grew up in a world in which the only VFX happened inside your head, so I'm used to filling in the gaps. As long as I get the idea of what's going on, the VFX can be like those placeholder images they use when editing. Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing an occasional "BAM," "BIFF!" and "POW!" flash on the screen from time to time.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Not sure about the '90s-style uniform, but at least they're comic-book influenced, which makes a nice change from the leather-fetish outfits used before. And since when is Mystique a trusted X-Man?

Mostly, though, what grinds my gears here is that from the trailer, this looks to be mostly a reworking of X-Men: The Last Stand. Not exactly the most successful of the Fox outings. I'm hoping that in this one, she shatters the M'Kraan Crystal, ending that universe entirely and enabling Disney/Marvel to simply ignore the Fox "continuity" going forward.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    I feel sorry for you, Patrick, and hope you feel better soon.

One question, though - who the hell even mentioned Captain Marvel?

(Oh, and one other - who said you're only allowed to go see one of them?)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,019 Community Moderator
    jonsills wrote: »
    And since when is Mystique a trusted X-Man?

Since Wolverine went back in time and changed history in Days of Future's Past to prevent uber Sentinels from being developed using Mystique's ability. Instead of the vilianous Mystique we saw working with Magnito until she got abandoned due to losing her mutant powers, we got a more heroic one who still has a lot of respect for Xavier and willingly joined the X-Men.

The movie X-Men split into two timelines, beanching from one particular movie.
    Its not quite as messed up a timeline as Terminator, but its close.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    It looks like Fantastic Four's Greatest Villain has finally been defeated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TrrE66FYO0
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    I'll check it out. But then again, I'll watch anything you throw at me...... ANYTHING.

P.S.: Well, not anything.

P.P.S.: Definitely not anything.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @patrickngo said:
    > I am far more likely to pay 11.50 to see Dark Phoenix, than I am to pay 11.50 to see Captain Marvel.

Me too, I like Jean Grey, even if its not my first choice of actresses playing the role.
  • Options
    > @patrickngo said:
    > jonsills wrote: »
    >
    > I feel sorry for you, Patrick, and hope you feel better soon.
    >
    > One question, though - who the hell even mentioned Captain Marvel?
    >
    > (Oh, and one other - who said you're only allowed to go see one of them?)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > heading off the inevitable comparisons, Jon-both are based on Marvel properties, both feature a female lead that is absurdly powerful.
    >
    > both of them will cost roughly the same to see, but one of them is played by an obnoxious blonde harridan and the other isn't. (at least, not so far.)
    >
    > further comparisons; Phoenix is based on a highly successful-in-its-own-right comic book franchise with moderately successful movies over a decade, Marvel's based on a character whose books have a history of cancellation and poor circulation, being positioned as a 'must see' only by dint of studio fiat and Disney's desire for a super-princess (and reluctance to take the logical step of slotting Scarlet Witch in that role in favour of an obnoxious blonde who had to hire a butt-double.)
    >
    > so yeah, if it closes out the X-franchise (which Logan already did rather adroitly) then Phoenix is likely to be a movie worth seeing even if it means losing the X-franchise to the grasp of Kevin Feige (fiege? figey? how in hell..oh.nevermind).
    >
    > generally speaking, while the Fox x-men have been loose with canon, they're at least fun to watch. that used to be said for the MCU as well, but...something tells me that the X-movie is going to be more fun than an hour and a half lecture on male privilege and minority empowerment that "Captain Marvel" promises to be.

You summed it up pretty well for me.
  • Options
    > @patrickngo said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > > @jonsills said:
    > > I feel sorry for you, Patrick, and hope you feel better soon.
    > >
    > > One question, though - who the hell even mentioned Captain Marvel?
    > >
    > > (Oh, and one other - who said you're only allowed to go see one of them?)
    >
    > He's got some nonsensical hang up. I'm not planning to see this, outside of Wolverine and Deadpool, I haven't watched an X-Men film since The Last Stand, so why bother. Plus the X-franchise is getting a slate wipe anyway.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The X-franchise getting an honest slate-wipe is yet another reason to see it, thank you for the reminder, Azrael-they won't be positioning for yet-another-sequel, which means a complete story, and since it won't be a tie-in to another upcoming movie, they won't have to flinch with it, since ta-daaa! they aren't getting renewed and they're not serving as an advertisement for another movie.
    >
    > As for my "weird hangup" it's real simple:
    > I can pay 11.50 for a movie ticket, let's say...and the movie is two hours long, let's say...
    >
    > now, which movie should I go see? the movie that is there to entertain me, or the movie that is there to make the same political statement I can get from Buzzfeed, Feminist Frequency, or Huffington Post for free?
    >
    > HM...lemme think... I can go to a movie that wants my money and wants to entertain me regardless of who I am, or, I can go be preached at for an hour and a half by someone who thinks my being entertained is wrong because I'm not their ideal of a good person by dint of my race and gender alone.
    >
    > you tell me which one I should give my money, and my time, to? it's a personal decision and we're all going to make it or one like it at some point, and I kind of suspect we'll make it differently-and that is fine. It's good to make your own decisions, and it's fine to say you're going to make that decision. You didn't like the last few X-films, that's okay. You kinda missed out on something good if you didn't see Logan, but it's your call and I won't say you've got a 'weird hangup' for making that choice.
    >
    > because it's your time, and your money, just like when I'm making that decision, it's my time, and my money, and not all entertainment entertains everyone equally.
    >
    > for my money, if I want to watch a third wave feminist diatribe, I can save a lot and just click "Feminist Frequency" on my Youtube list and get it from an accredited academic who at least does her rhetoric well and intelligently-this represents a better value for me than 11.50 in a theater to have Brie Larsen botch the same message for an hour and a half (not including popcorn and snax)
    >
    > for 11.50, I can (when it releases) see Dark Phoenix, and NOT get the diatribe, but instead get the entertainment. are you tracking? That represents a superior value in a different way...to my subjective tastes. in the meantime, Battle Angel Alita got my 11.50 recently, and I was entertained, I didn't have to sit through a thinly veiled political diatribe written by a hack.
    >
    > so, yanno, there's that. I'll see Dark Phoenix right now, call it my "96% score" since RT doesn't do 'Want to see" scoring anymore thanks to Captain Marvel's plunge to 27% from 96%.
    >
    > but hey, there's still time for the cast and crew of Dark Phoenix to TRIBBLE up, but I think they might be actually looking at their market and saying "We need to keep this demographic if we want to make enough money to pay the staff."
    >
    > and maybe a desire to hit it out of the park, since it IS the swan-song for their franchise.

You had me until you said FF did her rhetoric well and intelligently. She is the low hanging fruit of the antifeminist world because she is a complete joke. I usually don't bother criticising her because it all been done at this point.
  • Options
    > @azrael605 said:
    > A rant not based on reality is the definition of a weird hang up.

What are you refering to as a rant.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @lordgyor said:
    > > @azrael605 said:
    > > A rant not based on reality is the definition of a weird hang up.
    >
    > What are you refering to as a rant.

Everything pat said pretty much. He has jumped on an overdramatized bit of nothing and is dragging it into every thread about upcoming movies.

Navigate to any post by patrickngo, go to the bottom right of said post and hit the middle button (block). You don't have to subject yourself to random nonsense unless you happen to be browsing on a mobile or somebody's stupid enough to interact with him and quote him.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    I thought reality was nebulous and we each are free to experience our own, regardless of what others perceive as reality? Did the definition change yet again?

Jean Grey has consistently been portrayed as one of the most powerful mutants on the planet, in any universe, and yet she is also portrayed time and again as fully human. I did see a reference to her being a 'changeling' in the trailer, and am curious about that. If they make Jean into something other than human to explain her awesome powers, I will be disappointed.

On the other hand, we do get to see her being the villain, and being the vulnerable human at the same time, which I find refreshing, given it's Marvel's schtick, and what has always set the Marvel characters apart from everyone else. Every hero has a flaw, and every human is super in some way, even if they have no super powers.

From the trailer I get the sense that Jean's major issues stem from Professor X's blocking Jean's memories of having murdered as a child. (Her parents? Foster parents?) If so, what Jean was like as a child and why did she go the way she did? If the answer turns out to be, "Jean's an alien," I will be disappointed.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,019 Community Moderator
    artan42 wrote: »
    Navigate to any post by patrickngo, go to the bottom right of said post and hit the middle button (block). You don't have to subject yourself to random nonsense unless you happen to be browsing on a mobile or somebody's stupid enough to interact with him and quote him.​​

We have a block button?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Given the name of the movie, I do expect the Phoenix saga to be at least an inspiration, but even without the entity Jean Grey is one of the world's most formidable mutants. She doesn't get her power from an entity from somewhere else, and she is not, herself, an entity from somewhere else. She is a human mutant on the order of Magneto and Professor X all by herself.

Absolutely love the gold eyes on Sansa, even if they are contacts or CGI. (For the record, I'm not a Sansa fan. I can't wait to see Rickon assume the seat as Lord of Winterfell with Lady Arya as his protector.)