test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ghostbusters 3 is coming

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/ghostbusters/279350/ernie-hudson-ghostbusters-3-winston-zeddemore

I didn't think the quasi ghostbusters was that bad, but it wasn't great, and it damaged the brand by how it was handled.

But I think this one will cleanse the pallette and save the IP.

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Meh, never cared for ghostbusters all that much, and I didn't see how the already released 3rd film was inferior in any way.

Because "reasons" kinda like some of the arguments against Discovery. Its not the same, and doesn't have the same people.
    The recent one wasn't supposed to be a sequel to the previous two. And that's where people raged. They wanted the continuing adventures of the ORIGINAL team... which is not exactly viable now.

I kinda imagine this new one will be a "Passing of the torch" to a new generation of Ghostbusters.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    I didn't care for the script for the third one - I thought it wasted the comedic talents of the actors involved (although Leslie Jones did a yeomanlike job of rescuing her characterization from the atrocious lines she was given). I'd have loved to see them do another, preferably with a better writer/s. (I did really appreciate the throwaway bit from the government agents tasked with keeping them and their actions undercover, gently implying that the original movies also happened but were hushed up by the agency.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    I agree with jonsills. The writing could have been better.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    My problem with Ghostbusters 2016 is the same problem I have with The Last Jedi, making the male characters incompetent or evil to make the female characters have a stronger presence.
  • Options
    That's... certainly an opinion you hold, star. Yep.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    First of all... Ghostbusters has ALWAYS been campy. So trying to say that there was some ulterior motive to make the female characters stand out at the expense of the male characters is a rather odd argument. So the antagonist was a guy and the heroes were women. So what? Same is frickin' true with Red Sonja! And I don't see anyone crying fowl over her being a hero character.

As for The Last Jedi... didn't the director go out of his way to WRECK what Abrams tried to set up in The Force Awakens? I mean we had this big buildup of mysteries in TFA... only to have pretty much everything ripped out from under us in TLJ. Who's Snoke? Doesn't matter anymore. He got offed way too easily to matter now. Who's Rey's parents? Apparently nobodies.

Although the mystery of Rey's parents can be salvaged due to Kylo maybe trying to mess with her head, but Snoke being that powerful... and being offed THAT easily... is a problem.
    Also... who the hell DOESN'T tell their Wing Commander what the frakkin' plan is? If that admiral was supposed to be some kind of tactical genius... she sure as hell made a BIG mistake in NOT letting ALL of her senior staff (Poe) know she wasn't just running for the sake of running!
  • Options
    > starkaos said:
    > My problem with Ghostbusters 2016 is the same problem I have with The Last Jedi, making the male characters incompetent or evil to make the female characters have a stronger presence.

I do not agree that that was done with either film.

Lets look at the main male characters in each movie.

Ghostbusters 2016

Kevin Beckman (Chris Hemsworth) - is used as eye candy for most of the movie and later becomes a possessed villain that the female Ghostbusters have to take down.

Rowan North (Neil Casey) - is the main villain of the movie.

Mayor (Andy Garcia) - just another incompetent politician that is more interested in popularity than properly running his city.

The Last Jedi

Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill)- attempts to kill his nephew, has the Jedi Academy destroyed, and goes into self-exile.

Kylo Ren (Adam Driver), Snoke (Andy Snerkis) - Leader of the First Order and main villain of the movie.

General Hux (Domhnall Gleeson) - Doesn't shoot down Poe at the beginning of the movie when he has a clear shot at Poe's ship.

DJ (Benicio Del Toro) - betrayed the Resistance and got half their fleet destroyed.

Poe Damaran (Oscar Isaac) - Doesn't tell Holdo his plan to send Finn and Rose to Canto Blight that eventually results in the destruction of half the fleet, almost commits suicide at the beginning of the movie, and undermines authority.

Finn (John Boyega) - forgets to hide his ship which results in getting caught and obtains the wrong person from Canto Blight as a result.

Both movies are full of incompetent or evil male characters.

• Options
    An Admiral is under no obligation to share plans with an officer who had A just been demoted for insubordination and B whose loyalty cannot be certain as literally everyone believed there was a mole. Poe was not senior staff after Leia demoted him by the way.

As for Rey's parents, they never needed to matter in anyway, who was Qui Gon's family? Or Kenobi's? Frankly name any non Skywalker force user whose family matters at all. That aside, Kylo was most likely lying.

I still feel that Admiral could have handled it better because Poe was still kinda in charge of the fighter wing as well as turning into a loose cannon. In a crisis situation... don't basically pat a hothead on the head and say "don't worry" and leave it at that. At least letting him know there is something resembling a plan might have gotten him to back off. Instead... he started a mutiny out of frustration at the apparent lack of leadership. Demotion asside, Poe was still highly respected by the pilots.

And Rey's parents... we don't even know Rey's last name! For all we know she IS a Skywalker. But yea. Kylo had to be lying just to try and mess with her mind.

Overall... TLJ had a LOT of problems.
  • Options
    An Admiral is under no obligation to share plans with an officer who had A just been demoted for insubordination and B whose loyalty cannot be certain as literally everyone believed there was a mole. Poe was not senior staff after Leia demoted him by the way.

As for Rey's parents, they never needed to matter in anyway, who was Qui Gon's family? Or Kenobi's? Frankly name any non Skywalker force user whose family matters at all.
    Pretty much along the lines of what I was going to say here - the General (and the Vice-Admiral) "knew" that it was impossible to track a ship through hyperspace, so they assumed there was a mole. And that mole could be anyone. Especially the hotshot pilot whose disobedience of orders as they were making their escape cost them most of their support fighters, and all of their bombers, in a strike to wipe out a ship that the First Order replaced before their next encounter without being more than inconvenienced. (If I'd been among the command staff, I'd sure as hell have been asking pointed questions about the General's favorite pilot!)

And Rey's family not being anyone in particular underscores the lesson at the end of the movie - that you don't need to be part of some silly predestined bloodline to use the Force, that it can be anyone - a moisture farmer being raised by his aunt and uncle, a scavenger abandoned on a desert junkyard world, even a small boy sweeping out the stables somewhere. Frankly, I would have been disappointed, even annoyed, by a reveal that Rey was yet another heir to the Skywalker bloodline. Between the movies, novels, and comics, that has, IMO, been done to death so much that its Force-ghost doesn't even want to show up any more.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Back to Ghostbusters: WHY???

A remake of a remake is nothing more than the demonstration of the lack of original thinking in Hollywood, which leaves me with little interest in seeing what they do to make it different and special. It's like when I was a kid. My dog had puppies, great! They were lots of fun, and lots of work. Then she had more puppies. Then she had more puppies. By the time she was up to forty pups, they weren't special any more, they were just work. (Breeding a collie, 10 puppies per litter.)

As to the original crew:

Some of the OC have died and elderly Egon is convinced that the dead are tormenting them because of their work while alive, so he hires the new Ghostbusters to 'rescue' them and place them in a special containment vessel where they can interact via a computer monitor with the living. Of course, there will be issues, such as the Dream-Park design of the new containment vessel goes Westworld on them and that Slimer guy wants in on the fun. And Egon gets a death-scene, of course.

Rick Moranis and Annie Potts would have to have cameos.

The story ends with the four OG (original Ghostbusters) in their special containment vessel being put in an Area 51 analogue warehouse in the middle of nowhere.

Hey, Hollywood! I'm available for hire at guild scale!
  • Options
    Problem... Egon's already dead. So unless you can travel back in time...
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »

As for Rey's parents, they never needed to matter in anyway, who was Qui Gon's family? Or Kenobi's? Frankly name any non Skywalker force user whose family matters at all. That aside, Kylo was most likely lying.

I still feel that Admiral could have handled it better because Poe was still kinda in charge of the fighter wing as well as turning into a loose cannon. In a crisis situation... don't basically pat a hothead on the head and say "don't worry" and leave it at that. At least letting him know there is something resembling a plan might have gotten him to back off. Instead... he started a mutiny out of frustration at the apparent lack of leadership. Demotion asside, Poe was still highly respected by the pilots.

And Rey's parents... we don't even know Rey's last name! For all we know she IS a Skywalker. But yea. Kylo had to be lying just to try and mess with her mind.

Overall... TLJ had a LOT of problems.

I prefer the HISHE version of The Last Jedi especially the part about Rey's parents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCB8DUGpYQQ

• Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Didn't know Ramis was gone. Is Dan Aykroyd still kicking? He could do the bit as Ray. And Ghost Egon can easily be CGI'd and voiced, with any variation being attributed to his being a ghost.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    An Admiral is under no obligation to share plans with an officer who had A just been demoted for insubordination and B whose loyalty cannot be certain as literally everyone believed there was a mole. Poe was not senior staff after Leia demoted him by the way..
    I find it hard to believe that his loyalty can be in question, considering how long he worked with the Alliance and just blew up one of these Mega-Star-Destroyer variants that could have probably really ruined the day if it had also followed them through hyperspace. But somehow, all those no-name guys that fuel up the rescue shuttles, and all the pilots that will fly those rescue shuttles are 100 % trustworthy?

Heck, it's a surprise that somehow Poe can organize a mutiny, but somehow no one could have told them what they were doing with those shuttles. The story just doesn't really work.

Ah, anyway, we're talking the next Ghostbuster movie. I wouldn't get too excited, very little has been revealed so far about that project. Could be good, might not.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Meh, never cared for ghostbusters all that much, and I didn't see how the already released 3rd film was inferior in any way.

ummm 2016 movie was a remake/reboot and just sucked. this from someone who loved the 1st movie... the 1st movie wasnt some great intellectual masterpiece or something that changed film making... but at the time of release it was a great fun & enjoyable movie. just run both movies side by side.

2016 movie on it's own was ok... but it wasnt gear'd or envisioned for everyone... it's target audience was focused. if you overlook that then it's ok, but it's hard to overlook when they go all fan bashing and all political/sjw on ya.
  • Options
    I find it hard to believe that his loyalty can be in question, considering how long he worked with the Alliance and just blew up one of these Mega-Star-Destroyer variants that could have probably really ruined the day if it had also followed them through hyperspace.
    Except that as far as anyone in the Alliance knew, it was impossible to be followed through hyperspace, and his insistence on blowing up that one ship cost them all their bombing craft, almost all their fighters, and all the personnel aboard both. If he'd followed orders, the entire original plan probably would have gone off without a hitch - they jump to their destination, the Order follows, the Alliance troops depart on cloaked craft that the Order has no reason to suspect even exist, the Alliance loses some old third-hand ships and gains a hidden, reinforced base from which to operate.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    > @tigeraries said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > Meh, never cared for ghostbusters all that much, and I didn't see how the already released 3rd film was inferior in any way.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > ummm 2016 movie was a remake/reboot and just sucked. this from someone who loved the 1st movie... the 1st movie wasnt some great intellectual masterpiece or something that changed film making... but at the time of release it was a great fun & enjoyable movie. just run both movies side by side.
    >
    > 2016 movie on it's own was ok... but it wasnt gear'd or envisioned for everyone... it's target audience was focused. if you overlook that then it's ok, but it's hard to overlook when they go all fan bashing and all political/sjw on ya.

That is your opinion, it will never be mine, and I cannot possibly care less about offended bigots.

"offended bigots" is the problem cause a number of people who don't like 2016 movie were woman... and democratic women who could never be called Republicans, and also other minorities... GB is loved by a number of folks who are not "White Males".

to brush aside those folks and label them all as basement dwelling Trump supporters... yeah, your not winning over any fans with that mentality. see for fans of GB, the 2016 movie was not something they wanted or have wished for. and that in itself is ok, we dont always get what we want... but then to attack fans for not loving this new movie...

I'm personally looking forward to the 3rd movie in this series... hoping the story/writing is good & cast from GB/GB2 are in it.
  • Options
    I may be a "white male", but I am NOT anything like what's being thrown around here. I don't drool over female characters just because they're female characters, and I don't rage and call "SJW BS" to justify not liking something and calling for others to get the pitchforks. So less broadstroke paintbrush please. Not everyone falls into the same category based on "Oh he's white and a male so OBVIOUSLY he's X".

I went into that movie knowing it wasn't connected directly to the others, so like anything else I judged it on its own merits. Its a fun movie, but it isn't perfect. Will I watch the next one? Yes. Because I like Ghostbusters in general, and would like to see what they come up with. Would I like to see BOTH teams meet through some kind of cross dimensional shenanigans? Yes. Especially since something like that would be possible in the realm of Ghostbusters.

What did I like about the 2016 Ghostbusters?
    • Lead scientist character wasn't totally off the wall. I felt she was a bit believeable as someone who had an interest rekindled, but also tried to maintain a normal life after said interest had fallen off in the past.
    • Interesting design for a modernized Proton Pack
    • Special/Visual Effects were amazing
    • Some of the goofyness that comes with Ghostbusters. (Will agree that some felt forced though)

Am I gonna praise it as the best ever? No.
    Am I gonna demand it be burned at the stake? No.

I feel like people seem to forget that there is a such thing as a middle ground. Its always "You're either for or against." We've got way too much "You either agree with me or your wrong" going around right now.

Maybe we should start a thread where we discuss the pros and cons of movies. And hopefully leave the rage behind.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how you can misunderstand what I said like that rattler, I specifically denounced those broad strokes.

Heading off further arguments in that direction. Wasn't targeting anyone in particular. Also... I saw that line and felt the need to say something.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how you can misunderstand what I said like that rattler, I specifically denounced those broad strokes. I don't care why people don't like the movie, they are completely allowed to, but if their entire complaint can be boiled down to "its sjw bs" then they are not valid. I don't care if the heroes are male female trans white black or flipping purple and I will call out such bigoted complaints. None of that applies to you rattler and I'm not sure how you could read what I wrote and think it did.

People have a reason to hate sjw bs and it is not about bigotry. Thinking it is about bigotry is just ignoring the valid concerns that certain people have like ruining the franchise of games and movies that they like or people getting injured or having their lives ruined because of sjw bs.

If Ghostbusters 2016 wants to be a reverse gender remake, then there is nothing wrong with having a handsome male secretary, but there is something wrong with making him a complete idiot when the female secretary from the first Ghostbusters was intelligent and filled a purpose other than just being eye candy. Now if the female secretary from the first Ghostbusters was a 'dumb blonde', then it would have been poetic justice to have a dumb male secretary