test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What YEAR Is It?

anubis0sarvouranubis0sarvour Member Posts: 169 Arc User
Between in-game lore and various fanfics, it is unclear just what year it is in STO. According to https://sto.gamepedia.com/Chronology, even though some in-game files suggest it is 2411 or 2412, all 'current content' is in fact set in 2410.
Despite this, most of the fanfics I've read so far insinuate it is 2413 or 2414.
So which is it?
3fe5520084f54ba06a859d0b2c824e771701473049.png
The Borg Assimilator
Live Long and Prosper.🖖[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,764 Arc User
  • Options
    luminaire#0745 luminaire Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Officaly we are in 2410.

    The game begins in January 2409, the swear switch happens shortly after the Romulus Mystery Arc ends, and the Borg stuff happens in early June 2410.

    Everything from New Romulus to the current arc happens in the rest of June-December 2410
    Officaly we are in 2410.

    The game begins in January 2409, the swear switch happens shortly after the Romulus Mystery Arc ends, and the Borg stuff happens in early June 2410.

    Everything from New Romulus to the current arc happens in the rest of June-December 2410

    Which is, you know, utterly ludicrous. Is 2410 the Cryptic CEO's favorite number or something? Presumably there is some explanation for their insistence on cramming stories that should span months or years into apparently days and weeks.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,409 Arc User
    It's 2019. :smile:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    > @jonsills said:
    > It's 2019. :smile:

    But I’m gonna party like it’s 1999
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    It is better to ignore what year it is and just say that it is the early 25th Century. After all, there is only one type of person that goes from Ensign to Admiral in less than 2 years and it is not from reputable civilization like the Federation, Klingon Empire, or Romulan Republic. It makes a much sense as Kirk being promoted to Captain immediately after leaving the Academy.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    It's 2019. :smile:

    The year is 2261. The place: Babylon 5.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Pretty much what @patrickngo said. Officially, per the Delta Recruit storyline, 18 months pass from the tutorials (January 2409) to the end of the Breen missions. But this actually makes things even worse because it crams the Undine/Borg missions (IIRC), the Sphere missions, Delta Rising, the Iconian Bore, the Temporal Cold Sore, the Lukari/Tzenkethi storyline, and Victory Is Life into SIX MONTHS in the latter half of 2410.

    In other words these are ridiculously full years for SEVERAL captains and crews, forget a single one.

    So officially, in Kanril Eleya (Prime)'s chronology, the Klingon War campaign happened from 2407-2409, ending with the Sphere summit in early 2410, then DR happened in the early part of 2410, followed by a significantly truncated and far more destructive) Iconian War in summer through fall, and the Time Clusterfrak plain didn't happen because Starfleet in my chronology considers the Temporal Prime Directive an absolute law and not a vague suggestion (and because the canon version of ENT erased itself from existence because of too much time travel damaging the timeline). It is currently 2411 for her.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

    Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,409 Arc User
    The warp-speed calculator is here. Travel time from Sol to 40 Eridani, the trinary system that plays home to Vulcan, is about 4 days at warp 9. I don't know if the distance from Sol to Bajor's star was ever mentioned, but I'm comfortably certain it's farther away than that. (At warp 9.85, it would take just over 2 years to cross the entire Federation, assuming we use the 8000 lightyear radius mentioned on maps.) As for transwarp gates, don't forget the time needed to get from one to another, and to clear traffic control (they can only handle so many ships at a time, you know).

    I'm pretty sure cramming all the action of the Klingon War, the Romulan Mystery arc, the Iconian conflict, the Tzenkethi conflict, and the situation with the Founders into less than two years is a tad unrealistic. OTOH, in-game the only year that's certain is 2409, the year Fed toons graduate the Academy, Klink toons foil Drake's plot and seize command of their first ship, and Rom toons experience the devastation of Virinat. Beyond that, there's Word of Dev, but nothing really all that definite.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    There are no warp calculators because warp is not constant. It is only ever exactly the speed the plot requires it to be.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

    #TASforSTO


    '...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    There are no warp calculators because warp is not constant. It is only ever exactly the speed the plot requires it to be.

    Pretty much this. In answer to @jonsills's comment about a Bajor-Earth trip, I once calculated about a month at warp 7 based on Star Charts (albeit that was a loose estimate and had a "plane change" at Trill). The Defiant can apparently make the trip in a few days at most.

    Then there's ENT: "Broken Bow", where it takes the warp 5-capable NX-01 five days to get from Earth to Qo'noS. By TNG's official warp equation, that ought to put Qo'noS about level with the Oort cloud. :tongue:
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

    Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    Judging on when the timeline progressed to 2410, it would currently be 2411, they just haven’t confirmed it yet.
  • Options
    pomonagrange#3097 pomonagrange Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    hawku001x wrote: »
    I go by 2410. It's a loooooong 2410.

    It's been a lonnnng time comin'
    It's been a lonnnng time gone

    (Crosby, Stills & Nash)

  • Options
    anubis0sarvouranubis0sarvour Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Pretty much what @patrickngo said. Officially, per the Delta Recruit storyline, 18 months pass from the tutorials (January 2409) to the end of the Breen missions. But this actually makes things even worse because it crams the Undine/Borg missions (IIRC), the Sphere missions, Delta Rising, the Iconian Bore, the Temporal Cold Sore, the Lukari/Tzenkethi storyline, and Victory Is Life into SIX MONTHS in the latter half of 2410.

    In other words these are ridiculously full years for SEVERAL captains and crews, forget a single one.

    So officially, in Kanril Eleya (Prime)'s chronology, the Klingon War campaign happened from 2407-2409, ending with the Sphere summit in early 2410, then DR happened in the early part of 2410, followed by a significantly truncated and far more destructive) Iconian War in summer through fall, and the Time Clusterfrak plain didn't happen because Starfleet in my chronology considers the Temporal Prime Directive an absolute law and not a vague suggestion (and because the canon version of ENT erased itself from existence because of too much time travel damaging the timeline). It is currently 2411 for her.

    That was my rough reckoning, and I was/am strongly considering 2411 as the current year for my fanfic(s).
    hawku001x wrote: »
    I go by 2410. It's a loooooong 2410.

    It's been a lonnnng time comin'
    It's been a lonnnng time gone

    (Crosby, Stills & Nash)

    I have that on my playlist!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIDzA0YDso8
    3fe5520084f54ba06a859d0b2c824e771701473049.png
    The Borg Assimilator
    Live Long and Prosper.🖖[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sign In or Register to comment.