test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Picard Series Predictions

1234568»

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    The ship only has to be gone long enough for them to defeat control in the disco era. And they obviously do, because the threat is gone by TOS. So after control is defeated, the discovery could go anywhere or any time. The episode Calypso takes place while the discovery is in the future, but there is no canon that says it is there permanently and could not travel to Picard era if the writers wanted it to.

The ship was abandoned in Calypso. There was no one on it to jump anywhere.

Nah, you still don't understand the point. I'm not saying we currently have an explanation that would allow the Discovery to go hang out with Picard. I'm saying there is nothing in canon that makes that impossible. If the writers want to say that after Calypso the Discovery computer became sentient enough to be able to operate itself and go on a time traveling odyssey, nothing we already have would make that impossible.

See, the reason I quoted your earlier reply was because at that time you were making the point that people were taking what little info existed about the pre TOS time period and making assumptions from it about what was or was not possible for a TV show set in that time period. Now you are doing the same thing with what little info we have, assuming it would be impossible for the writers to put the Discovery in Picard's era if they wanted to. It's not.

Now, whether you would personally think that would be good storytelling or not is irrelevant to whether they could explain it within the show.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    i would actually like the idea of a fully computer-controlled starship gallivanting around the galaxy - it reminds me of that one modified miranda in patrickngo's masterverse stories that i can't recall the name of offhand​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Nah, you still don't understand the point. I'm not saying we currently have an explanation that would allow the Discovery to go hang out with Picard. I'm saying there is nothing in canon that makes that impossible. If the writers want to say that after Calypso the Discovery computer became sentient enough to be able to operate itself and go on a time traveling odyssey, nothing we already have would make that impossible.

See, the reason I quoted your earlier reply was because at that time you were making the point that people were taking what little info existed about the pre TOS time period and making assumptions from it about what was or was not possible for a TV show set in that time period. Now you are doing the same thing with what little info we have, assuming it would be impossible for the writers to put the Discovery in Picard's era if they wanted to. It's not.

Now, whether you would personally think that would be good storytelling or not is irrelevant to whether they could explain it within the show.

I do understand the point. The writers could make Spock use the Force if they want to.

This is a different story. Canon has already established that the spore drive requires a pilot with tardigrade DNA and the ship winds up abandoned in the 33rd century. That's well beyond the time of Picard.
    What's stopping it from jumping to another time, though?
    What's preventing it from jumping to the time of Picard for a while before it goes to its "final" 1,000 year sit-around?

The only constraint Calypso sets is, that barring temporal events that undo the events of it, that at some point the Captain of the ship orders her to stay, and she sits around waiting for a few centuries. It doesn't state what happened before or after.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    I do understand the point. The writers could make Spock use the Force if they want to.

There is no need to be ridiculous. The ship is carrying an insane amount of ancient data that could allow a sentient computer to develop completely new ways of doing things.
    No pilot and having it jump to Picard's era still makes the sphere data vulnerable to Control.

A sentient ship's computer combined with the sphere data mentioned above could develop a way of jumping without the need for a pilot (if the writers want it to).

Also, control is gone by TOS. That means it is defeated before TOS. That means the sphere data is no longer "vulnerable" in TOS or Picard era.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

This is a different story. Canon has already established that the spore drive requires a pilot with tardigrade DNA and the ship winds up abandoned in the 33rd century. That's well beyond the time of Picard.

Canon has not established that the spore drive requires a pilot with Tardigrade DNA only that it is extremely easy with a Tardigrade or a pilot with Tardigrade DNA and impossible with 2250s technology. It is possible that a late 24th Century computer would be able to use the Spore Drive.
    Yeah, I dont actually disagree there.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    I could see a ship with a spore drive making an appearance in Picard's series and maybe doing a crossover between Discovery and Picard series, but not the ridiculous notion of the USS Discovery being Picard's ship.
  • ryurangerryuranger Member Posts: 520 Arc User
    at the End of The Picard Mini Series We will See Discovery in the 25th Century instead of 32nd Century on Where Captain Georgieo will take Command of a New Section 31
    May the Shwartz Be With You
    CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg
  • ryurangerryuranger Member Posts: 520 Arc User
    LOL We just have to wait and see When Season 3 Hits they will be in the 33rd Century and I think Half of the season they are trying to get back and once they Do get back they will end up in the 25th Century I think anyway this was the plan from the Start when Discovery first aired
    May the Shwartz Be With You
    CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg
    Very unlikely. It's also a given the crew MIGHT make it back somehow, but the ship will not. I hope the writers have not boxed themselves in , should the crew return to their proper time. Ash, Pike, Spock, Number One et. al will have a lot of explaining to do since they testified Discovery exploded.

The writers have definitely boxed themselves in if they want Discovery to return to the 23rd Century with that Season 2 ending. However, Season 3 of Discovery could still be set in the 23rd Century by following the Adventures of Captain Pike and completely ignoring the USS Discovery. Of course, the USS Discovery could make an appearance in the Picard series.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    Turns out Season 3 will be the adventures of the Discovery in the 33rd century. So no, she's not going to be Picard's ship. She's a little large to be an ambassador's transport anyway.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    It could be in a time of war. Picard may not physically fight like he used to but he could command. I would not be surprised if they introduced an ark with Borg taking revenge on Starfleet for once again royally messing up their plans. Both the Queen in First Contact and then the Queen of Voyager's Endgame were killed. The Borg have never properly invaded Starfleet since the Destiny Novels. Everyone still loves those cybernetic monsters & it would be nice to give them the HD treatment. The perfect foil for the Borg is Captain Picard, given his history with them.

I could see him being an Admiral or Commodore like General Patton or MacArthur. Picard could have taken Admiral Hansen's job, he lead the Battle of Sector 001 & his ship was destroyed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    It'd be more interesting to see Romulans start reverse engineering Borg tech and using hat to be a pain than the Collective.... again.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg