test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Picard Series Predictions

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Star, you're still not paying attention.

The producers of the show, who are now in charge of what is "canon", want STO to be a part of that canon. As the shows develop, the game may need occasional retconning, but it is the intent of those who define "canon" to include the game.

"Deserving" has nothing to do with it, else the Klingons we see would be John M. Ford's Klingons from The Final Reflection and How Much For Just the Planet?, rather than the space biker Vikings TNG gave us.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Is there any evidence that the producers of the Picard series want STO and the Path to 2409 to be canon? With the amount of established STO lore, there is no way that STO would be able to do the occasional retconning to be part of the official universe if the new Star Trek series decide to do what they want. Making STO canon either requires future Star Trek series restricting what they can do or making a completely new STO. The only reasonable way that STO can be canon is the same way that the JJTrek movies are canon. It all happened in an alternate reality. The new Star Trek series can do what they want and STO doesn't require a massive overhaul.
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Is there any evidence that the producers of the Picard series want STO and the Path to 2409 to be canon? With the amount of established STO lore, there is no way that STO would be able to do the occasional retconning to be part of the official universe if the new Star Trek series decide to do what they want. Making STO canon either requires future Star Trek series restricting what they can do or making a completely new STO. The only reasonable way that STO can be canon is the same way that the JJTrek movies are canon. It all happened in an alternate reality. The new Star Trek series can do what they want and STO doesn't require a massive overhaul.

Your conclusion is indeed one of the posted options, the other being to tweak the story a little to conform. This was posted by Cryptic, and so their intent is clear. They want to conform to canon! Whether it is possible is yet to be determined.

Of course, we can get in the W.A.B.A.C. and go forward... wait, the wayback only goes backward. T.A.R.D.I.S. goes forward, right? Yeah. Anyway, get in your preferred mode of time travel and go see what they do in the future, then come back and tell us. Sorry, I won't be joining you. Time machines have a tendency to break down and leave you stranded in the darndest of places.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    data will not be returning - at least not with brent spiner reprising the role​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    brian334 wrote: »
    Of course, we can get in the W.A.B.A.C. and go forward... wait, the wayback only goes backward. T.A.R.D.I.S. goes forward, right? Yeah. Anyway, get in your preferred mode of time travel and go see what they do in the future, then come back and tell us. Sorry, I won't be joining you. Time machines have a tendency to break down and leave you stranded in the darndest of places.

Then there is the possibility that making a round trip to the future causes the future to change in weird ways. So if I travel to the future to reveal what the new Star Trek series are about, it might create a future where they change into Klingon Idol and the Miss Tellarite Pageant.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    I predict the main plot will revolve around an earl grey tea embargo, which Picard will have to negotiate. Also, replicators will be down.
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    hawku001x wrote: »
    I predict the main plot will revolve around an earl grey tea embargo, which Picard will have to negotiate. Also, replicators will be down.

Replicators will be on sympathy strike for the oppressed tea shrubs of Earth which are force to yield their pekoe leaves to domineering tea harvesters without pay and without choice of occupation. PETA, (People for Ethical Tea Acquisition) will begin a campaign wherein humans voluntarily have their extremities plucked off to see how they like it.

Oh, wait, did I just break the Temporal Prime Directive?
  • Options
    eli david 'head of mossad' or someone else?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    oh, i know the woman...i just wasn't sure what you meant by 'recent' - that means a different period of time to different people​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    edited February 2019
    ...why does that not surprise me? even when you have a damn body and DNA confirmation, death isn't permanent in hollywood anymore!

that being said...if it's true, YAY ZIVA!​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > ...why does that not surprise me? even when you have a damn body and DNA confirmation, death isn't permanent in hollywood anymore!
    >
    > that being said...if it's true, YAY ZIVA!​​

Ziva died in an explosion and we only ever had the director of Mossad's word that it was confirmed. I won't say more if you plan to watch but in many ways it was like when Ziva learned about Kate as a person.

At least we got that idiot Dinozzo off the TV screen, can't stand Michael's comedy acting. So Gibbs smacking him on the back of his head is a blessing!

Of course the reason reason Cote left the show was over money, she wasn't being paid as much as others and left the negoatiations leaving her death off screen to be confirmed. I wonder if Cote has a change of heart over the last few years for her to reappear some point down the road as Ziva?

In any event, it has nothing to do with Picard series.

Then there is the possibility that making a round trip to the future causes the future to change in weird ways. So if I travel to the future to reveal what the new Star Trek series are about, it might create a future where they change into Klingon Idol and the Miss Tellarite Pageant.

I can imagine one individual here who will have the hots for a miss tellarite pageant, big hint: likes Targs. :*:D
    I predict not everyone from TNG will make it on.
    I dont think Q will. Data will. Troi might, akin to her role in Future Imperfect. Im fine with that, better to be organic than force something.
    Frakes and LeVar better get a damn shot to direct an episode.

Spiner won't return as Data but i won't rule out the possibility of him playing another character. An android can not age and how you can try fit an aging android into the mix and make it believable? best not go near that. The best you can hope for with Data is have someone younger play the android.

John De Lancie could return, but how do you explain away a Q living for millions if not billions of years and to suddenly start aging? there is a possible scenario where Q was cast out for a while and made to live a normal lumpin human being and only recently the other Q decided that he should come back but won't restore his age to that of his younger self. so there could be a story there.

Marina, John, Levar and Michael could all make reappearances at various points, so could any other number of characters, Nana, Rene, Andy, Armin, Garret, Tim, Kate, Robert D.M. .. who knows. Even a holographic character like Roberto or someone who cobbled together a personality matrix and a famous face to it, like Ethan as Neelix.

point is that Somtaaw pointed to three seasons and there are a lot of options on the table for character reappearances.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > ...why does that not surprise me? even when you have a damn body and DNA confirmation, death isn't permanent in hollywood anymore!
    >

Ziva died in an explosion and we only ever had the director of Mossad's word that it was confirmed. I won't say more if you plan to watch but in many ways it was like when Ziva learned about Kate as a person.

At least we got that idiot Dinozzo off the TV screen, can't stand Michael's comedy acting. So Gibbs smacking him on the back of his head is a blessing!

Of course the reason reason Cote left the show was over money, she wasn't being paid as much as others and left the negoatiations leaving her death off screen to be confirmed. I wonder if Cote has a change of heart over the last few years for her to reappear some point down the road as Ziva?

I can imagine one individual here who will have the hots for a miss tellarite pageant, big hint: likes Targs. :*:D
    I dont think Q will. Data will. Troi might, akin to her role in Future Imperfect. Im fine with that, better to be organic than force something.

Spiner won't return as Data but i won't rule out the possibility of him playing another character. An android can not age and how you can try fit an aging android into the mix and make it believable? best not go near that. The best you can hope for with Data is have someone younger play the android.

John De Lancie could return, but how do you explain away a Q living for millions if not billions of years and to suddenly start aging? there is a possible scenario where Q was cast out for a while and made to live a normal lumpin human being and only recently the other Q decided that he should come back but won't restore his age to that of his younger self. so there could be a story there.

Marina, John, Levar and Michael could all make reappearances at various points, so could any other number of characters, Nana, Rene, Andy, Armin, Garret, Tim, Kate, Robert D.M. .. who knows. Even a holographic character like Roberto or someone who cobbled together a personality matrix and a famous face to it, like Ethan as Neelix.

point is that Somtaaw pointed to three seasons and there are a lot of options on the table for character reappearances.

Q aging is simple - he simply adjusts his apperance to fit Picard's age. It's not like that his how Q really looks.

And even Data could be explained - Data can alter his face and hair (maybe a feature he added later, or something experimental B4 had, since Data is now in B4s body), since his best friends like Geordi is also aging.
    I'd probably simply recast him however. Give him the "skunk" streak in his hair, and Picard can say: "You changed something, is it the hair?" and we'll gloss over it. It isn't the first time people in the Star Trek continuity had to be recast. Though I'd love to see Brent Spiner in Star Trek again.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    >

Q aging is simple - he simply adjusts his apperance to fit Picard's age. It's not like that his how Q really looks.

And even Data could be explained - Data can alter his face and hair (maybe a feature he added later, or something experimental B4 had, since Data is now in B4s body), since his best friends like Geordi is also aging.
    I'd probably simply recast him however. Give him the "skunk" streak in his hair, and Picard can say: "You changed something, is it the hair?" and we'll gloss over it. It isn't the first time people in the Star Trek continuity had to be recast. Though I'd love to see Brent Spiner in Star Trek again.

Personally, I rather have someone else play Data due to it being B4's body and not Data's body. Maybe have Brent Spiner's son play as Data in the new Picard series. He is currently 16 years old so Data could say that it is a learning experience.

• Options
    edited February 2019

I wonder why Q would deliberately make himself older? the one thing that stood out most about Q is his vanity being his biggest character trait. His gregariousness and vanity have always big part of the character, so why would it suit him to suddenly become an old man for by choice? it could come across more as disrespectful to Picard being an old man knowing Q can revert at any point.

Data has been operating on his own at stock for a while now, even through B4. the only adjustment i'd think Data would want on B4 is to the removal of the port on the back of his neck, beyond that maybe a neural achitecture upgrade to standards in processing power he is known for. I can't remember if it was Data or someone else saying it in TNG, but i remember there was a comment that data would never get old, that he'd watch his friends get old and die and then make new friends and watch them die as well.

The Tainer droid was specficially designed to age like an ordinary person with a finite runetime before it switches off and that is that, but i doubt the Prototype B4, the upgraded but flawed Lore and then the 3rd generation Data would of had that built into the android.

The biggest question that goes begging for an answer: where does starfleet and data find this ability for him to age? Simply making facial adjustments, an added hunch and weaker servos aren't going to make him age any more than the previous 40 years when some simple adjustments will see him back at his prime again.
    Personally, I rather have someone else play Data due to it being B4's body and not Data's body. Maybe have Brent Spiner's son play as Data in the new Picard series. He is currently 16 years old so Data could say that it is a learning experience.

Brent's son is a little too young to play the role. You'd need someone around 30-35 years old ideally to fill in the role and can act the way Brent always managed it. Last thing we all need is another teenage wonderboy in yellow paint with a Marty Stu Android ruining the good name of the Data character.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

I wonder why Q would deliberately make himself older? the one thing that stood out most about Q is his vanity being his biggest character trait.
    No offense to John DeLancie, but if you have free pick of body, it's ot the first one that comes to mind to satisfy someone's vanity.

Data has been operating on his own at stock for a while now, even through B4. the only adjustment i'd think Data would want on B4 is to the removal of the port on the back of his neck, beyond that maybe a neural achitecture upgrade to standards in processing power he is known for. I can't remember if it was Data or someone else saying it in TNG, but i remember there was a comment that data would never get old, that he'd watch his friends get old and die and then make new friends and watch them die as well.

The Tainer droid was specficially designed to age like an ordinary person with a finite runetime before it switches off and that is that, but i doubt the Prototype B4, the upgraded but flawed Lore and then the 3rd generation Data would of had that built into the android.

The biggest question that goes begging for an answer: where does starfleet and data find this ability for him to age? Simply making facial adjustments, an added hunch and weaker servos aren't going to make him age any more than the previous 40 years when some simple adjustments will see him back at his prime again.
    He doesn't "really" age - he just alters his skin and hair to look older. And yes, if he wants to, he can reset things to be young again. He might do that when he said farewell to his dearest old friends perhaps. Of course, he is bound to make new friends over time, so there is never a right spot. It could also be just a certain phase where Data decides he wants to look old to get the full human experience, or at least as close as he can.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    He doesn't "really" age - he just alters his skin and hair to look older. And yes, if he wants to, he can reset things to be young again. He might do that when he said farewell to his dearest old friends perhaps. Of course, he is bound to make new friends over time, so there is never a right spot. It could also be just a certain phase where Data decides he wants to look old to get the full human experience, or at least as close as he can.

Having friends that slowly age while Data never ages might cause some discomfort. So it would make sense for Data to have an old age look to connect with his friends. After all, putting on a new skin is just like us changing clothes.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Probably just a codename for the series rather than a slip. i'm sure eventually we will know what its actually called.
    valoreah wrote: »
    Never saw TNGs "All Good Things" did you?

That's your assumption and the way you have just blurted it out like that? i'm not even going to answer that.
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    That's your assumption and the way you have just blurted it out like that? i'm not even going to answer that.

Yes it is and based on your post, it would seem to be correct given that Q made himself appear as an old man by choice - despite your questioning whether he would or not.

There is no need to question it - he already did.

i couldn't careless for your reasoning or your belief on the matter. i'm questioning your tone and you have already confirmed what i've suspected, you are making assumptions for me.

If you already knew before hand, why waste time asking?