test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mirror of Discovery: Para Pecum!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
The first episode of Mirror of Discovery takes you to the planet Pahvo!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11065843

Comments

• Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    So is this going to be mission in 2410 or TRIBBLE time?
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    So, OK, is the title "Para Pacem" ("Prepare for peace") or "Para Pecum" ("Buy a cow")?
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    finsches123finsches123 Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    "Buy a cow!" is "eme vaccam!" Just saying. "Para pecum" means nothing really. :)
  • Options
    anubis0sarvouranubis0sarvour Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    robeasom wrote: »
    So is this going to be mission in 2410 or TRIBBLE time?
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11065843
    Journey to Pahvo in the Beta Quadrant and discover what breakthroughs have transpired in the century and a half since the U.S.S. Discovery’s visit that have caused the singing planet to fall silent.

Seems like 2410-ish to me.
    3fe5520084f54ba06a859d0b2c824e771701473049.png
    The Borg Assimilator
    Live Long and Prosper.🖖[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    @finsches123: no, "pecus" is another word meaning "cow" (interestingly, it's the root of "pecunia", being the stuff which you buy cows with), and "buy" is a legitimate secondary meaning of "paro, parare" - I'm working from Thomas McCarthy's "Latin-English Lexicon" here, if you want to check my references.

I suppose "Para Pecum" could also mean "prepare for cow", but that sort of suggests, in this context, that Cryptic is calling Captain Killy a cow.... which is fine, if they want to do that, I won't stand in their way - but I'm sure as heck not selling them any life insurance, I'll tell you that for nothing.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Would not be surprised if, upon reaching that world, and arriving on the surface, we see the locals having an annual ceremony involving the burning of an effigy of Burnham. ;)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    Since I don't speak latin, I'm not going to take sides in that debate...

I just want to point out that 'preparing for a cow' could well be a reference to Saru's experience with the Pahvans and his species being farmed and all that.
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    shevet wrote: »
    So, OK, is the title "Para Pacem" ("Prepare for peace") or "Para Pecum" ("Buy a cow")?

Buy a cow...I am definitely buying a cow.

Me, too. But only of it's an exploding cow. Other wise, it's sheep for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y75GoxDdimo
    "Buy a cow!" is "eme vaccam!" Just saying. "Para pecum" means nothing really. :)

Yeah. You really have know your Roman history to get it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Si_vis_pacem,_para_bellum

Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus has been misquote for centuries in both Latin, English and most major languages. And Para pecum leads right back to this thread because of the spelling / misspelling in the heading.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

Buy a cow...I am definitely buying a cow.

Me, too. But only of it's an exploding cow. Other wise, it's sheep for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y75GoxDdimo

Yeah. You really have know your Roman history to get it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Si_vis_pacem,_para_bellum

Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus has been misquote for centuries in both Latin, English and most major languages. And Para pecum leads right back to this thread because of the spelling / misspelling in the heading.

So.....

Now, you don't have a cow? ~audience groan~
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    qandiceqandice Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Pecum can also more generally mean flock. Para can mean adjacent as in Paratrooper (from Greek) or shield as in Parachute (from Latin), so presuming that Cryptic are not mixing language roots, it could mean Shield of the Flock.
    Which opens all sorts of other meanings.
    Then again it could be a typo/bad translation in the quest to come up with a mysterious Latin title that seems to be popular with them recently.
  • Options
    sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    Now, now. Pecu can also mean money.
    This sounds to me being right up the alley for PWI & Cryptic. -'Prepare the money'...
    This is a very clever hint by some insider 'accidently' warning us, preparing us, that this will be hard for our wallets, so we must already now start saving up our precious gold for us to spend Soon(tm)

:D
    /Floozy
  • Options
    knochengeigerknochengeiger Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    qandice wrote: »
    Pecum can also more generally mean flock. Para can mean adjacent as in Paratrooper (from Greek) or shield as in Parachute (from Latin), so presuming that Cryptic are not mixing language roots, it could mean Shield of the Flock.
    Which opens all sorts of other meanings.
    Then again it could be a typo/bad translation in the quest to come up with a mysterious Latin title that seems to be popular with them recently.

I think it is just the continued usage of a typo. In the description of "Illusion of Communication" is a reference to it's previous Episode "Para Pacem", which translates easily to "For Peace".

We want to keep the foundry.
  • Options
    finsches123finsches123 Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    @finsches123: no, "pecus" is another word meaning "cow" and "buy" is a legitimate secondary meaning of "paro, parare".
    Hey, I really didn't know "paro" can mean that. :)
    I think "pecum" is not a possible form, however. Both "pecu, pecus" and "pecus, pecoris" mean cattle, but the accusative is never "pecum". Since they are both neuters, the accusative is like the nominative, either "para pecu" or para pecus".
    Anyway, nice to see people who know their Latin!
    (interestingly, it's the root of "pecunia", being the stuff which you buy cows with)
    Right, the connection is still there: Indoeuropean *peku becomes *fehu after the first Germanic sound shift, which leads to both German "Vieh" (cattle) and English "fee".

And now, back to starships and pew pew.
  • Options
    njodeath#7166 njodeath Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Can't get mission It says after gamma arc you can get it It's blacked out. ugh hope i don't have to play more missions to get it. Used to be able to grab missions by themselves for the event.
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    The new missions are nice, EXCEPT - space combat is overly excessive for 1 ship to handle. needs to be brought down to something reasonable. Like half of what it is!
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    The mission has bugged out on me twice now while playing the mission in a team. After the Tilly cutscene plays on the bridge, it doesn't trigger the objective, "Speak with Captain Tilly" as complete.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    OH..LOVE Mirror Tilly.

Lets replace that Starfleet Academy Tilly with Mirror Tilly.
    That would make the Starfleet Tutorial much more interesting. :)

As for the language...meh! She didn't even say it!!! LOL!

It is a similar convo I have with the Hubby practically every day....
    I will have to tell him, he may be more effective, too, if he was packin'. LOL!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I just did the Mission. After I got part way into the first Space Battle I quickly switched out my Neutronic Torpedo for the Romulan Hyperplasma Torpedo and Piercing Tetryon Beam Bank for a Plasma Array so I could do the Medium Personal Endeavor of causing 150k Plasma Damage. Completed that during the second Space Battle.

Otherwise the Mission was fairly typical of the Cryptic Type. Scan/Space Battle/Board Ship to repel boarders in three or so locations, ending on the Bridge/Beam back to your Ship/Last Space Battle/Warp Out.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Thanks, cold, I have not got to the second mission, yet. So, Vulcans on the planet are ineffective against Terrans.

Why was this planet protected, anyways??

Is this Pahvo planet from Star Trek Discovery? I have not bothered to pay for CBS All Access.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    botanybangbotanybang Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Dear Devs,
    unfortunately, the new missions are are a visually pretty chore, that make no sense at all. As someone mentioned above, especially the space battles are annoying, as I get such bad UI lag that I die over and over again. I get the lag only in the new missions, nowhere else.
    And being such a chore, they bring out the worst in me; I let Patel suffer in the booth for my agony, and regretting the fact that I can't increase the pain and let her suffer her more...
    Patel wrote:
    [Mission] Help... me...! Controls... They're... on... the booth! Nnnaagh!

• Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    OH..LOVE Mirror Tilly.

That or use MU Tilly's remark about agony chambers to Patel, with your husband while making him dinner?
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    OH..LOVE Mirror Tilly.

I did like mirror Tilly. But honestly this storyline is utter nonsense. Hey let's help these people we KNOW are evil for no reason whatsoever...yeah that sounds like a great idea. Hey the ship full of these know evil people are going towards the planet with assets we are here to save if we need to...and let's not stop them at all. Hey look, she took over a planet...and we have planet killing tech (a grav torps in canon can take out a small planet alone...a TS of them should be able to take out a medium sized one easily...Not to mention we have the tech data for protomatter weapons if needed...and stealth tech to be able to alpha strike...why was her taking over the planet a big deal again for not feddie bears?!?). And with that set up, we find that it's a moot point as a ship full of people who can take out the small group of terrans on the planet can just waltz up anyways in part two. Completely unhindered. To find that the vulcans on the planet had a security detail that literally did NOTHING to protect the planet as they are alive and well and ARMED still. Either that or the terran somehow became very stupid or compassionate to leave the vulcan security detail alive and armed after beating them. Hey there is this big console that is bound to do something bad unprotected for good chuncks of time...let's NOT blow it up for the the BBEG can escape at the end. I admit that one is nit picking somewhat as that is done before...but after all the other stupid, it just sticks out. I'm sorry, but whoever came up with the story for this needs a time out.

Now now, @coldnapalm ...You have to have George of the Jungle/Dudley Do-Right tier villains in STO missions, because it's a Noblebright multiverse of the shiniest kind, and because writing decent villainy is suffering from severe deficiency nowadays. And the players seem to be perpetually covered in Stickum like Lester Hayes, because we can't seem to stop getting the idiot ball.