test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Old missions - a problem and a search

captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
Hi everyone,

With the current odd Foundry issues, I thought I'd ask if anyone else is having issues opening some older missions. In particular I have been trying to play parts of the "Star Trek Continues" series, however every time I get to the mission location in sector space and hit the 'mission start' button, I am taken to a loading screen which partially loads then crashes the entire game to desktop. Is this happening because the owner hasn't re-published the missions to 'reset' them after the last fix? Or is this something more system-wide?

Also, I'm searching for a set of old missions that were basically a port of the old Star Trek 25th Anniversary game. But I can't seem to find them no matter what I put in as search criteria. Anyone know what happened to them? (Not auto-published in last patch? Author took them down?)

Thanks in advance for any help with these issues. :)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    So with crashing on map loads there's two layers of issues that you could be affected by.

1. The mission uses the modern version of the ESD ground map. At present, this one is broken.
    2. You have a local issue with the map file being used. Fix: re-install STO. This isn't specifically related to the Foundry but it may manifest itself with Foundry maps.

Rickysmith will be able to tell you whether the mission uses ESD. Otherwise, you could name the mission specifically so someone else can have a look. If they can load it up just fine, then you will probably need to reinstall the game.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for the heads up Duncan. :)

The missions with issues are 'Star Trek Continues - Ep 01' and 'Star Trek Continues - Ep 02'. I just tried Episode 3 to see if the trend was the same and it loads fine but then crashes later (see below). The first two episodes obviously try to load to a space map (locations : K-7 for Ep 01 and Donatu for Ep 02), whereas Ep 03 loads directly to a ground map at K-7. As soon as you beam off the ground map in Ep 03 to (presumably) a space map, the mission crashes to desktop like the two previous episodes. Are other Foundry missions experiencing this issue?

(These episodes are TOS based, so it's probably safe to say that there is no modern ESD map being used in them. But since I can't play them, I don't really know - lol).
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    I'll give episode 3 a try sometime soon and report back.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • amahoodreturnsamahoodreturns Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    from what i understand, sto does not keep missions in it's database anymore if it is not played much, though i could be wrong... unless they changed that ... when it comes to the foundry... there is a lot of things that have to be fixed still... now if only we existed in the alternate universe where there are no issues... i think we all would be much happier lol anyhow here's hoping they start keeping ALL missions that are created. and forgive me if i am wrong. i know i created some missions and they are gone, so... maybe that is happening with these other ones... sto definitely needs to work more on getting the foundry fixed though. peace all. :)
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    from what i understand, sto does not keep missions in it's database anymore if it is not played much, though i could be wrong... unless they changed that ... when it comes to the foundry... there is a lot of things that have to be fixed still... now if only we existed in the alternate universe where there are no issues... i think we all would be much happier lol anyhow here's hoping they start keeping ALL missions that are created. and forgive me if i am wrong. i know i created some missions and they are gone, so... maybe that is happening with these other ones... sto definitely needs to work more on getting the foundry fixed though. peace all. :)

Have you checked your missions in your Foundry editor? (They won't show on the regular in-game mission list, because only 50 missions out of a current 100,000 Foundry missions can be seen there *facepalm*).

As far as I know created missions never go away. You should be able to see them still listed in your editor. :)
This discussion has been closed.