test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Which Starfleet Vessel would you command?

ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
As it says on the tin. WHich of the following Starfleet vessels/classes would you personally choose to command if you could? It can be any ship of the class, not just the specifically named ship, which is why the NCC-1701 is exclusively the pre-refit and the NCC-1701-A the post-refit.

(For those wondering, I prioritised the hero ships first when writing the poll, and then put the other fan-favourites I could think of at the end.)

Which Starfleet Vessel would you command? 27 votes

Enterprise, NX-01 / NX-Class
0%
Discovery / Crossfield-Class
7%
markhawkmantommehwommemh 2 votes
USS Enterprise, NCC-1701 / Constitution-Class (Pre-Refit)
3%
jamieblanchard 1 vote
USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-A / Constitution-Class (Refit)
14%
steinbergkhan5000jake477anubis0sarvour 4 votes
USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-D / Galaxy-Class
11%
smokebaileydrnowellsnowwolf#0563 3 votes
USS Defiant / Defiant-Class
3%
coldnapalm 1 vote
USS Voyager / Intrepid-Class
14%
mustrumridcully0alexmakepeacequesteriusdalolorn 4 votes
USS Enterprise-E / Sovereign-Class
29%
artan42evilmark444theraven2378warpangeladmiralnatfoxman00starfarerthetazanshin#5592 8 votes
USS Enterprise-C / Ambassador-Class
7%
nightkenryan218 2 votes
USS Excelsior / Excelsior-Class
7%
kabutotokugawaluminaire#0745 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Enterprise, NX-01 / NX-Class - No. Slow, cramped and barely holding on the seams.

Discovery / Crossfield-Class - No. Having to deal with an even more annoying crew than TOS is too much to handle.

USS Enterprise, NCC-1701 / Constitution-Class (Pre-Refit) - Junk

USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-A / Constitution-Class (Refit) - Refit Junk = Junk

USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-D / Galaxy-Class - No, showboat.

USS Defiant / Defiant-Class - Powerful, but cramped so no.

USS Voyager / Intrepid-Class - Looks like a nice ship.

USS Enterprise-E / Sovereign-Class - Showboat

USS Enterprise-C / Ambassador-Class - Nice ship, but can we divert the dramatic ending?

USS Excelsior / Excelsior-Class - No. Enough cheese to make a person lactose intolerant.

That said, WHERE IS THE BLEEPING NOVA!
    @reyan01
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Um... ALL of those are hero ships. Also shouldn't Discovery also have USS in front?
    Also Discovery's registry number is 1031.

Anyways... I've got a bit of a tossup between Connie Refit, Sovereign, and Crossfield.

@questerius
    I believe he just used the names of the most prominent ships of that class as an example, asking which CLASS we'd like. Has nothing to do with the crews. Hence why Enterprise-B didn't make the list, as Excelsior was already there representing the Excelsior class.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Um... ALL of those are hero ships. Also shouldn't Discovery also have USS in front?
    Also Discovery's registry number is 1031.

Anyways... I've got a bit of a tossup between Connie Refit, Sovereign, and Crossfield.

@questerius
    I believe he just used the names of the most prominent ships of that class as an example, asking which CLASS we'd like. Has nothing to do with the crews. Hence why Enterprise-B didn't make the list, as Excelsior was already there representing the Excelsior class.

And I ran out of space. Also, I don't consider Excelsior or ENT-C hero ships. They were never central to the story, except in the episodes (Flashback and Yesterday's Enterprise) where they appeared. Excelsior wasn't the centre of the plot in ST:VI.

I only gave the Enterprises their registries to tell them apart from each other (I didn't with C and E because I was in a rush). With Discovery, I just forgot the prefix.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I'd consider Excelsior in ST6 to be a hero ship since she was not only commanded by Sulu, but was instrumental in the final battle against Chang.
    And pretty much any Enterprise gets Hero Ship status due to Enterprise name rep. We just don't really know the exploits of the B and C.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    I'd probably wind up on an Intrepid. My training is all scientific, and the Intepid is a long-range scientific explorer class. It's not a flagship or a great big heavy cruiser, it's not really designed to take part in military operations. At the same time it's not as cramped or helpless as the Oberth, and not so crazy old.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    For me this is an extremely difficult choice between the NX and the Sovereign, but I think I'm going to go with the Sovereign. If you had STO exclusives in the poll I'd probably go with the Excalibur.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    I'm biased to the Sovereign, beautiful ship
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      questerius wrote: »

Even if it is stuck in the Delta Quadrant for 7 years without any Starfleet support or communication with family and friends?
    • Options
      mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      starkaos wrote: »
      questerius wrote: »

Even if it is stuck in the Delta Quadrant for 7 years without any Starfleet support or communication with family and friends?

It's more a ship class choice than ship story choice, as the OP clarified.

I was torn between Intrepid and Discovery, and ultimately decided the more modern ship would be better.
      I liked the Discovery because it's a science vessel that can conduct a multitude of experiments and would be on the forefront of scientific research in space. That sounds kinda cool and something worth commanding. (I figure it doesn't have the DASH drive by default, if it had that, it might be even cooler.)

The Intrepid seems to be a capable explorer than can defend itsef. It would be one of the ships at the forefront of exploration in space, and unlike a Galaxy Class or Sovereign, it's small and has a small crew (no families), and will probably not be used as often for representative tasks or as flagship. (Though i could be wrong, the Bellerophon was used by Admiral Ross to bring him to Romulus for talks. But that was during the Dominion War, so there were probably not many ships doing exploration duties anway.)

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    • Options
      artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      The single best looking starship in science fiction. Why fly anything else?​​
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • Options
      I've always had a soft spot for the Ambassador-Class. As a design it seems rugged, sturdy, and powerful. Every bit the predecessor of the Galaxy and every bit the successor to the Excelsior (Refit). In those few shots where we see the Ambassador and the Galaxy together, it sort of reminds me of the contrast between looking at HMS Warspite and the more modern KGV-Class Battleships. There's more than a little 'Grand Old Lady' about the Ambassador-Class. Shame we never saw it much on-screen.
    • Options
      brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
      I've always had a fondness for the J-Class Starships.

We see so much of the Enterprises, but virtually nothing of the freighters and tramp speculators out there pushing cargo and passengers from place to place.

I would by far prefer to be an independent contractor than part of an organization with admirals telling me what to do all the time.
    • Options
      jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
      When I was a kid, my first movie was the Wrath of Kahn. The 1701-Refit (Not A) was the most beautiful thing I ever saw on screen. Even today when I see some 20 yrs later as Kirk & McCoy were checking it out in spacedock, that music just takes you into a world on its own. That ship in terms of looks beats the Enterprise D & Voyager on their best day and I love both ships. However as Scotty pointed out in Relics you never forget your first, the Enterprise Refit was the first. The electric warp drive is so badass, the bridge is classic. Sure you may not get the holodecks or cool gadgets, but you get Saavik. Picard was the ULTIMATE Captain, the Enterprise Refit is THE SHIP. Kirk is still cool but nobody beats Picard. The Connie Refit is one sexy ship and I wouldn't trade her for anything.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
    • Options
      anubis0sarvouranubis0sarvour Member Posts: 167 Arc User

For reasons. ;)

PS-The Nova should've been on that list.
      3fe5520084f54ba06a859d0b2c824e771701473049.png
      The Borg Assimilator
      Live Long and Prosper.🖖[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
      USS Enterprise, NCC-1701 / Constitution-Class (Pre-Refit)
      I have to go with the craft that started it all. I've always had a soft spot for that retro future look for as long as I can remember, and the original 1960s Enterprise fits that bill. That's the craft I day dreamed about in my 1970s playtime adventures, and happily revisit nowadays here in this game.
      Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
    • Options
      luminaire#0745 luminaire Member Posts: 77 Arc User
      USS Excelsior / Excelsior-Class
      rattler2 wrote: »
      I'd consider Excelsior in ST6 to be a hero ship since she was not only commanded by Sulu, but was instrumental in the final battle against Chang.
      And pretty much any Enterprise gets Hero Ship status due to Enterprise name rep. We just don't really know the exploits of the B and C.

Fun Fact: It was Sulu/the Excelsior crew who were supposed to come up with the gas tracking torpedo in the final battle, hence the setup in the beginning about cataloguing gaseous anomalies, but Shatner threw a fit about the Enterprise not being the one to solve the problem. :p

Hero ship or not though, it gets my vote. I've loved the Excelsior design since the first time I watched the Search for Spock.
      ryan218 wrote: »
      I've always had a soft spot for the Ambassador-Class. As a design it seems rugged, sturdy, and powerful. Every bit the predecessor of the Galaxy and every bit the successor to the Excelsior (Refit). In those few shots where we see the Ambassador and the Galaxy together, it sort of reminds me of the contrast between looking at HMS Warspite and the more modern KGV-Class Battleships. There's more than a little 'Grand Old Lady' about the Ambassador-Class. Shame we never saw it much on-screen.

Though Proberts original design (the Narendra in STO) has much clearer hints, I've never really felt like the Excelsior fit into the design progression of the other Enterprise's...s. For me the much clearer lineage is Constitution->Ambassador->Galaxy, and the Excelsior was a separate design philosophy that was succeeded by the Sovereign (sleeker profile, reduced/absent neck, more pronounced saucer structure, etc).