test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Klingon Discovery Lockbox?

jr20mb13jr20mb13 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
As the way things have been going with Discovery content, I could see a Klingon focused Lock box coming, I doubt much will hit the Zstore.
What would be nice to see is the Bird of Prey as an answer to the Lobi NX Refit, the BoP would suit this role nicely.
In the box we could see the sech, cleave or even the dreadnought as the prize ship. Or we could see the Dreadnought end up as a new promo ship.
A box would also be a good way to handle the Discovery Klingon look as well, 200 lobi for Discovery Klingon Appearence, same way the Kelvin Klingon look was handled.

Thoughts?
(minus the usual those arent klingons rhetoric, please just carry on if thats all you have to add!)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• jr20mb13jr20mb13 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    jr20mb13 wrote: »
    As the way things have been going with Discovery content, I could see a Klingon focused Lock box coming, I doubt much will hit the Zstore.
    What would be nice to see is the Bird of Prey as an answer to the Lobi NX Refit, the BoP would suit this role nicely.
    In the box we could see the sech, cleave or even the dreadnought as the prize ship. Or we could see the Dreadnought end up as a new promo ship.
    A box would also be a good way to handle the Discovery Klingon look as well, 200 lobi for Discovery Klingon Appearence, same way the Kelvin Klingon look was handled.

Thoughts?
    (minus the usual those arent klingons rhetoric, please just carry on if thats all you have to add!)

it's more likely to be a 'generic' Discovery focused lockbox, now here's the reason;

One of the least popular and most complained about aspects of Discovery, and we're talking complained about to the point it's hit the mainstream, non-trekkie media now; is their rework of Klingons into generic space-orks.

Discovery itself has a wider potential audience, and it could include "Klingon elements" from the show, but Cryptic wants to sell lockbox keys. IOW it needs to have broad enough appeal to actually make them money-and frankly, a lockbox that is less general, sells fewer keys. Theming it on something that has questionable popularity? gonna sell even fewer, which might not be a great way to keep the Servers fed or make bills.

see i originally thought that way too, but even with the divided stance on the new look, the sarcophagus ship held its value on the exchange for quite a while, even in the infinity box it sits around 400 mil last time i looked. so there are fans out there. and theres quite an outcry for new klingon content
    edited December 2018
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Making the Klingon stuff available cross faction via lockbox is a big slap in the face for KDF players. Feds already got a couple C-Store Discovery ships. KDF doesn't yet.

Its a bad idea to make them lockbox stuff honestly.

And this is actually coming from a Fed main.

the feds have only gotten one t6 zstore ship, the rest are lockbox/lobi. the thing is if the ships come out overpowered in lockboxes they will sell i would think.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    I didn't limit it to ONLY T6. The Prototype Light Exploration Cruiser is available via C-Store through the Discovery Starter Pack, therefor it IS a C-Store ship. Capping out at T4 was not a factor in my statement. So we do have 2 C-Store ships that are Discovery Era.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    I didn't limit it to ONLY T6. The Prototype Light Exploration Cruiser is available via C-Store through the Discovery Starter Pack, therefor it IS a C-Store ship. Capping out at T4 was not a factor in my statement. So we do have 2 C-Store ships that are Discovery Era.

Okay.
    the sarco would have held that value solely on the strength of the stats-they could've made it look like a pair of pink bunny slippers and it would have held value. but here's the thing: 400mil isn't 'valuable' in the same way that genuinely desirable ships are. We don't have stats on how fast those move, either, it cold be 'holding' a value of 400 million because that's the price point at which it's profitable._

There's several factors as well. The AVERAGE price for a T6 ship is generally in the neighborhood of 300 mil. Now lets add in variables. Cross faction is more accessable, which means higher supply, which can bring the price down. The Sarco, on the other hand, is a faction specific ship. Specifically KDF. That detail means that the supply isn't as available as a cross faction or even Fed ship as it would require a KDF to open and post it. That means the price goes up due to lower supply.

Not as much competition for KDF lockbox/lobi ships means higher prices. Easier to corner the market on KDF ships when you don't have a large portion of the server population to compete with.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Personally I still feel they'll go lock box with the DSC KDf ships, think about it, if one really wants that klingon BoP or whatever ship it is,theyre going to spend the coin on the keys to get the ship. Much more than a single 3000 zen store purchase. And if they are lockbox, the stats im sure will be great or it will come with an amazing console or exp weapon, some sort of gimmick to make them move. The Mirror Engle is a great example of this, it's trait is awesome and its weapon is awesome too, not to mention the hanger pet unlock it gives, and its ugly. Im sure this will be argued. If you look at any social media post so many people post on how much they hate lock boxes, yet, keys still sell.
    The Mirror Engle doesn't stop them from making a Prime Universe variant for the C-Store though. We have examples of a C-Store ship having a Mirror counterpart in a lockbox. The C-Store Prometheus class and her mirror counterpart being examples.
    The Mirror Engle doesn't stop them from making a Prime Universe variant for the C-Store though. We have examples of a C-Store ship having a Mirror counterpart in a lockbox. The C-Store Prometheus class and her mirror counterpart being examples.

the Engle comes with the regular hull and removable terran logos. and the mirror prometheus is only a t5 ship, and it came out after the t5 cstore version came out. do you think we will get a t6 zstore walker or a STO era NX? thats the same logic.
    No... because those two ships are already prime universe. Mirror variants give that opening.
    Also I can put normal hull materials on my Mirror ships too. And the Mirror Paradox Temporal Dread can use non mirror skins as well, and that one is T6. Doesn't mean anything.

If they had intended for all Discovery ships to be lockbox... explain the Europa/Nimitz then. Why is that one C-Store? If, by your logic, people would pay for it... why didn't it get put in a lockbox?

Sticking the Klingon ships into a lockbox and ONLY a lockbox will not work. It will do nothing but anger KDF players, especially if its converted into a cross-faction ship.
    We're getting C-Store ships eventually. BoP and Battlecruiser most likely. Cleave Battleship is probably gonna be a stretch.

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    200 lobi for Discovery Klingon Appearence, same way the Kelvin Klingon look was handled.

Thoughts?

You mean you want them to halfarse it?

KT Klingons can't use the correct red-hued skin colours. Have no pointed ears. Are missing the chin and cheek ridges. Can't use the vivid blue eye colour. Don't have the correct nose with the little slit on the front and smaller ridges than the TNG ones. Don't have the long metalband hair.

On the plus side the KT Klingons are the only group with 100% accurate reproducible uniforms ingame so that's something.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    the sarco would have held that value solely on the strength of the stats-they could've made it look like a pair of pink bunny slippers and it would have held value. but here's the thing: 400mil isn't 'valuable' in the same way that genuinely desirable ships are. We don't have stats on how fast those move, either, it cold be 'holding' a value of 400 million because that's the price point at which it's profitable._

There's several factors as well. The AVERAGE price for a T6 ship is generally in the neighborhood of 300 mil. Now lets add in variables. Cross faction is more accessable, which means higher supply, which can bring the price down. The Sarco, on the other hand, is a faction specific ship. Specifically KDF. That detail means that the supply isn't as available as a cross faction or even Fed ship as it would require a KDF to open and post it. That means the price goes up due to lower supply.

Not as much competition for KDF lockbox/lobi ships means higher prices. Easier to corner the market on KDF ships when you don't have a large portion of the server population to compete with.
    Most actual trading is done on the all-faction box (Discovery Starship), which is priced more or less the same as all infbox ships over time.

I don't even keep stats on the single-faction boxes since those are invariably always overpriced.
    I'm saving up for one of those boxes myself.
    artan42 wrote: »
    200 lobi for Discovery Klingon Appearence, same way the Kelvin Klingon look was handled.

Thoughts?

You mean you want them to halfarse it?

KT Klingons can't use the correct red-hued skin colours. Have no pointed ears. Are missing the chin and cheek ridges. Can't use the vivid blue eye colour. Don't have the correct nose with the little slit on the front and smaller ridges than the TNG ones. Don't have the long metalband hair.

On the plus side the KT Klingons are the only group with 100% accurate reproducible uniforms ingame so that's something.​​

well no. no i dont want them to half TRIBBLE it.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    I doubt we will see a Klingon focused lock box, but I could see them doing a Discovery lock box with separate ships for Feds and KDF.

Both have enough ships to do at least a few boxes.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I personally wonder if they're planning to do a KDF disco faction later? That'd warrant saving a few of the lower tier designs.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    I personally wonder if they're planning to do a KDF disco faction later? That'd warrant saving a few of the lower tier designs.
    I would be surprised if they did.

They didn't do a TOS era Klingon or Romulan faction because there was too little lore on what they were doing in that time frame to make anything out of it. Discovery has all of 14 episodes, and the Klingon story they do have is being continued in the next season, and probably the season after that. I doubt Crytpic would want to wade into what would likely become a mire of retcons to anything they did once later Discovery seasons come out and expand on the Discovery era Klingons.

I would expect an ENT era "Federation" playable start before a Disco era KDF one.
    Sure, there's only been one season so far, but the Klingon Empire has have gotten more screen time in that one season than in all of TOS(and TAS) and TNG.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Sure, there's only been one season so far, but the Klingon Empire has have gotten more screen time in that one season than in all of TOS(and TAS) and TNG.
    TOS and TAS sure, but TNG? Na. Discounting Worf, Klingons appeared in 31 episodes of TNG.
    How many of those were minor roles though? People like J'dan and K'eyhlehr made for neat stories, but ultimately the stories they were used to tell gave us only tiny glimmers of insight into how Klingon society is structured.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    Many interesting points, brought to light.
    Realistically, there will be a return of the DSC LB, with a modified loot table with new ships for both FED & KDF, and 50/50 on still having ships from the initial release. Some Klingon items will be direct to C-store, and a few will be Lobi items (probably that big non-bat'leth blade they are so fond of, one of the DSC Klingon armors, and a ship). i anticipate Klingon fans will go most gaga over the Cleaver ship. While i am most curious about what the pillbox cruiser will be. The Dreadnought (Sech?) is the one i like most, out of all DSC Klingon designs.
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Per several dev and Andre comments on Ten Forward Weeklies: Discovery Klingons will be added as customization options (similar to KT) at a later date. Finding "compromises" (ie. charging 200 lobi) is unnecessary at this time as the devs both have the inclination and definite plan in motion to add this stuff to the game. It just hasn't arrived yet (though AoD Part 2 is a reasonable guess, per Andre.)

DSC-era ships are also coming in a variety of means. Ie. C-store, Lock box, lobi, and promo. I don't see why that wouldn't also extend to the KDF (and include c-store DSC-era KDF ships.)

DSC-era Klingon mini-faction: never say never but I don't think it's something they're working on at this time. We'll very, very likely see DSC era Klingon options before Cryptic needs to consider a fully-fledged microfaction for packaging.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    sarvour0 wrote: »
    The Dreadnought (Sech?) is the one i like most, out of all DSC Klingon designs.

The Sech is the battlecruiser.
    latest?cb=20171102111224&path-prefix=en

I believe this is the dreadnaught.
    SD0_Qugh.jpg
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    sarvour0 wrote: »
    The Dreadnought (Sech?) is the one i like most, out of all DSC Klingon designs.

The Sech is the battlecruiser.
    latest?cb=20171102111224&path-prefix=en

I believe this is the dreadnaught.
    SD0_Qugh.jpg

I'd say that the Qoj, Veqlargh, Tlhapqa'/Qow also possibly qualify as dreadnoughts.
    Well, it's good to remember which ship class J'ula uses as her personal flagship.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    Klingons are a very small portion of the playerbase. There is no money in "Klingon focused" anything. The focus is going to be on the Federation because that is where the money is. The Klingons did not even get new content added to the lobi store for the last two "factional" lockboxes.

The only thing you can be reasonably sure of, if Cryptic does make another T6 Klingon faction carrier, it's going in a lockbox or promo pack. That's just how Cryptic rolls.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I just want a Discovery Klingon BOFF for one of my character's crew. I don't care for the way the ships look in the show.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
This discussion has been closed.