test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Solar Portal things in Iconian missions?

colonelmarikcolonelmarik Member Posts: 2,199 Arc User
So... I'm wondering if these things are bugged? I just did the Gateway to Grethor mission and one of these things appeared and started shooting my shiny new Narendra class ship... which melted away in about 2 seconds. I didn't have time to press a defense button or anything. With 95k hull and 22k shields... that's a lot of damage in 2 seconds. Is it bugged? Is this related in some way to the kinetic damage bug? Anyone else seen this?
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I haven't seen that kind of behavior yet, but they do tend to melt ships if you don't shoot then quickly. But basically turning it into a oneshot kill? If other people report that behavior... then ask for this thread to me moved into the bug report section.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    I've seen my ships die to them pretty quickly, though usually not fast enough to be unable to activate a heal or destroy it first.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    They've always been powerful and will melt your ship if not dealt with as a priority target. One spawns shoot it immediately.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I haven't seen that kind of behavior yet, but they do tend to melt ships if you don't shoot then quickly. But basically turning it into a oneshot kill? If other people report that behavior... then ask for this thread to me moved into the bug report section.
    Well, Iconians use Intel powers and their own stuff which can be deadly.

1: solar gateways do a lot of damage.
    2: Ionic turbulence reduces your damage resistance
    --you can see a blue cloud, fly out of that
    3: I think they can use Subnucleonic Carrier wave, which can remove defense buffs.
    --IIRC it has a range of 5 and if you're outside that you're safe.
    4: They use EMP probes which can prevent you from using buffs and heals at critical times
    --Ram them, yes really. Also the EMP effect has a rather short range so you can destroy them before it affects you
    5: viral matrix probes,
    -- kill them or purge it with Eng Team
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Yep solar gateways hit pretty hard, noticed that as well.

Luckily they have close to 0 HP themselves so:

Select target -> press spacebar -> next customer
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    Well... in a way it does make sense that they hit hard because it is the power of a star hitting us. What doesn't make sense is the directed at a single target, unless the gateway focuses it like a lens and... oooohhhh... I see what it is now...

tenor.gif
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I concur with the others. The solar gateways need to be prioritized when they pop up, or they will destroy you. The viral and emp probes should be targeted next if you see them or they cause all kinds of problems.

I've been vaped by the solar gateways enough to look for them whenever I'm in a fight with Iconians. If you see them, you have time to pop some defenses and destroy the thing.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    They hit hard, but are not one shot kills, even if you don't pack extra resists.

I deal with them fine, I am not running any extra alloy consoles.
    Select target -> press spacebar -> next customer

Pretty much this.. no special strategy needed here.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I did that. It was the closest thing (sitting directly over my head, so nearly impossible to see), so I deselected everything and pressed spacebar to start shooting it. At the same time, I moved to click a heal (Hazard Emitters), but before my pointer reached the button I was already dead. About 2 seconds, and from full health (I have around 40% resistance to everything, I believe). Now, they don't NORMALLY do that, which I why I suspected a bug... and why I posted about it here.
    Might have been ionic turbulence decreasing your resists.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Ran GtG as a random TFO the other day in a FT6 Vor'ral. I thought these things were hitting very hard. But I assumed it was the scaling mechanic causing it. Since all team members were lvl 65. I had enough resistance to take the one attacking me out but had the defenses of a wet noodle right afterward. If the NPC AI had been quick enough with a Baltim or two, I'd have been toast.

My Vor'ral is equipped with the complete Terran Space Set which I have Upgraded to Mk XV Ultra. So again I assumed the scaling mechanic was causing the solar gateway to attack so effectively. Thinking about running a few more GtG missions to find out what's up with this.

As an afterthought I now know how that ant on the sidewalk feels when somebody places the magnifying glass over it at high noon.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    Yup... that's what I'm thinking of the Solar Gateway now.
This discussion has been closed.