test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Discovery Shorts Episode 2: Calypso (Spoilers)

mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
Anyone seen it yet?
It's a bit difficult to get if you don't have CBS All Access, but I found this episode pretty enjoyable (even though the quality I could watch it in was terrible.)

Together with the interviews Micheal Chabon, the writer of Calypso, and this show ,I am now looking more and more forward to the Picard series.
And I would love if Aldis Hodge could somehow become a regular on any of the upcoming Star Trek shows.

It's an intimate little story about loneliness and love.

Spoilers will start below this point:
Basic Story
Aldis Hodge (you might remember him from Leverage) plays Craft. His rescue capsule is picked up by the Discovery. There is no one aboard but him, and the ships computer, who after 1,000 years of waiting for its crew to return has developed a bit of a personality and calls herself "Zora". The computer seems happy to not be alone anymore, and they slowly grow to like each other over rewatching old Earth movies (particularly one) - but Craft has a family he wishes to return to, and ultimately the computer realizes she can't keep him, and sends him on his way in the Discovery's last shuttlecraft.

Facts in the story
The Federation is not explicitly named, but the name Craft gives for the faction his people are fighting against might be a kind of malapropism or distorted version of the word Federation, maybe a hint of changes in the language.

That faction definitely has ties to Earth, as the stolen capsule he's aboard has historic entertainment material from Earth history he is kinda forced to watch as he doesn't know how to operate the controls correctly. He says their history is very important to this faction. (Considering Picard's love for Shakespeare, Sisko's love for traditional Earth cuisine, or Bashir and O'Brien's time in the Alamos, this might be true even for the 24th century Federation). Whether this means that the Federation is actually gone, or a distorted version of itself, or Craft is basically working for the "bad guys", is unclear.

We don't learn anything about the details of why the Discovery was left behind, and what happened to her crew, but the Captain seems to have left with the intention of returning. It seems unlikely it will happen, unless further time travel is involved. Why the Discovery was never retrieved is also left unknown.
Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

Comments

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I enjoyed the episode and found myself wanting to know more about what happened
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I liked it better than the first one.

Though I do wonder where the Discovery was that it was never recovered in over a millennium. Maybe it jumped to the Gamma or Delta Quadrants.

I also wonder how the Kelvin spent 8 years between launch and Nero and ended up looking like it was one sparked wire short of destruction but the Discovery looked identical after a thousand years. Maybe it had an early version of Voyagers magic reset button.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Apparently the name V'draysh is indeed alluding to the Federation:
    https://i.imgur.com/hMaCVqr.jpg
    artan42 wrote: »
    I liked it better than the first one.

Though I do wonder where the Discovery was that it was never recovered in over a millennium. Maybe it jumped to the Gamma or Delta Quadrants.

I also wonder how the Kelvin spent 8 years between launch and Nero and ended up looking like it was one sparked wire short of destruction but the Discovery looked identical after a thousand years. Maybe it had an early version of Voyagers magic reset button.​​
    Well, it was sitting around for a 1,000 years, doing basically nothing. Most systems were probably off.
    It is a bit surprising that no parts were broken down (unless they were, and we just never saw it - In one scene, Craft was sleeping in the transporter room, not one of the quarters. Maybe that's just how he prefers to sleep).
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Well, it was sitting around for a 1,000 years, doing basically nothing. Most systems were probably off.
    It is a bit surprising that no parts were broken down (unless they were, and we just never saw it - In one scene, Craft was sleeping in the transporter room, not one of the quarters. Maybe that's just how he prefers to sleep).

You'd expect at least the paint to be worn off and the hull bleached or scorched.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!