test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Exchange request...

anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
... Well not really request, but more of a brainfart...

I'd like to ... "request"... the option to chose what I want people to pay me in... Say... EC, Contraband, XP or Entertainment provisions...

Right now, I only trade in Contraband... I've basically abandoned the exchange altogether, not because I don't want to use the exchange, but because I find Contraband to be of a better value in trades than EC.

I can turn Contraband into Dil or EC as required or I can use it for Duty Officer missions or whatever...

Now I could make a wall of text, but I much prefer to have a discussion about this, so... Thoughts?
Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    I like that.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    I like that.

Well thank you... I am very fond of it myself XD
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,713 Community Moderator
    why not use the EC to get contraband? Seems like alot of work imo when there are already solutions in place to get you what you're after. Also if something like this were implemented it wouldn't get past the first day before some folks started demanding they be allowed to accept refined dilithium as payment. At that point then Q help us all as the zen exchange would never drop below 500 again.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The way things are in game it'd be "streamlined" so that you can use ec or latinum.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Alternate currency (generally master keys) was only needed before the EC caps were raised to the point where all transactions can be performed with EC.
    why not use the EC to get contraband? Seems like alot of work imo when there are already solutions in place to get you what you're after. Also if something like this were implemented it wouldn't get past the first day before some folks started demanding they be allowed to accept refined dilithium as payment. At that point then Q help us all as the zen exchange would never drop below 500 again.

I do not use the exchange, because it adds an extra step both to getting it, but also to converting it into something usable, and let's be realistic: EC isn't worth anything anymore with the Hyper-inflation.

Allowing for direct item-item trades would remove a great deal of steps in the day-to-day game-sessions, as well as remove some of the inflation of EC going on, as people could set up actual trades with unknowns who may have exactly what you're looking for in a proper amount... after all: Junk for you may be gold to me.

As for the Dil trade issue: I can certainly see what you're coming at, since that would crash the Dilithium exchange and hence the Zen value.

That however, is also the exact reason why Cryptic should have an easy time to flat out reject that: Dil trades essentially one way allows for an active way to trade game items for real world value, which is against the ToS, hence they can simply point at the ToS and say "we set up the rules, and we expect you to follow it - so of cause we have to too".
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    Let's let Cryptic the Exchange first then go on to request more features later. Sort by Ascending Price per Unit is broken to where the list is jumbled in prices, and the time out between searches is a problem with just prices in EC without adding extra currency to have to sort through.
    edited November 2018
    tom61sto wrote: »
    Let's let Cryptic the Exchange first then go on to request more features later. Sort by Ascending Price per Unit is broken to where the list is jumbled in prices, and the time out between searches is a problem with just prices in EC without adding extra currency to have to sort through.

I certainly agree that the Exchange needs work... And by work I mean "ripped out in it's entirety as a miserable TRIBBLE child of a shredder and a pre-1990's search-engine and re-build from scratch". Sometimes things are just not salvageable.

However, that it not the topic really... This is a thought experiment on "is this a viable option".

However, a rework might as well incorporate alternative payment methods, rather than sticking with a single variable... As far as I can tell, that exact thinking has lead to some of the more buggy and inflexible systems ingame (I am looking at you "reputation").
    Think out of the box from day one, and make it modular rather than linear.

Edit: Also: Apparently, the word for offspring born outside of marriage is "censored" to "TRIBBLE"... Interesting
  • husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    When I go down to the corner store I don't say what does this can drink cost in coffee ? Or what does this bag of chips cost in can drinks.

The purpose of currency is replace arbitrary barter systems with a universal barter method.

If you what to know what something costs in contraband.... divide the EC price by 34k. lol If you want to try and swindle people in a trade channel with contraband deals go too it... but why the heck would Cryptic waste time programming multiple currency exchanges into the exchange.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    anazonda wrote: »
    However, that it not the topic really... This is a thought experiment on "is this a viable option".
    Short Answer: No
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    anazonda wrote: »
    I do not use the exchange..

That's well within your right, but you should understand that the bulk of the player base does use it.

it adds an extra step both to getting it, but also to converting it into something usable

That's actually the exact description of your proposal, not the exchange. The exchange is simple, trade goods for EC, your proposed method is the one that requires multiple extra steps depending on what exactly it is you wish to receive in return. It's much simpler to keep things using EC, it's universally desired with an established and excepted value. Sure, it's relative value fluctuates, but this is true of any currency.

Allowing for direct item-item trades would remove a great deal of steps in the day-to-day game-sessions

That option currently exists in trade channels.

Insert witty signature line here.
This discussion has been closed.