test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please make special ship purchases account wide

Comments

• bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    Old Lockbox/Lobi ships in the C-Store for the standard 3000Zen (Account wide unlock), I think would be a good revenue generator - Perhaps 2000 Zen if you already own the Lobi/Lockbox version on one toon. Similar to the way you get a discount on the "Fleet" variant of C-Store owned ships now.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    If some aspect of them, not even necessarily the ship itself, but maybe the traits or the ASScard, became an accountwide, I might actually buy these. As it is, I simply cannot justify the expense, and as some of these traits are required to make certain builds playable, those options are simply locked off.

I like the Account Wide ASScard thing.
    The OP's account wide ship request is never gonna happen.
    But a nice thing would be for the ships to be BoA. So I could swap them around to my alts as I get a new ship to pew pew with on my main toon. Maybe like leemwatson says about T6 ship mastery will be some sort of unlock for alt toons? But I doubt it. Probably just unlock the ship trait.
  • husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    Would be the end of the game in a matter of weeks.

I'm sorry folks. 10% of the player base keeps the servers going for the rest.

Those 10% break down into 2 groups;

1) Those that spend real $ to buy Zen. For one of two reasons. To convert directly to EC buying keys, and/or convert Zen directly to Dil so they don't have to farm.

2) Those that farm ungodly amounts of Dil to sell to the people looking to buy it with Zen.

If you are not spending $20+ dollars a week in group one. If you are not farming 200k+ dil a day. Then you are not a part of either group.

Removing the reason to do either of those things by making lobi and lockbox ships account unlocks in whole or in part (traits or consoles) would be the end of those 2 groups... who drive 90% of Cryptics revenue.
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    leemwatson wrote: »
    psygn0sis wrote: »
    I have bought many lobi ships and recently the Jem recon bug(1 billion ec), but they and their traits are only good for 1 toon, I have several (klink,rom,delta,disco and jems) and it's way way to expensive to get these ships and traits for alt accounts. Please make the ships or at least their traits account wide. That way we can build up our other toons too.I know this isn't the first post on this but this is a feature we badly need. thank you

This will be changing in the near future, so you're in luck. From the live-stream a couple of weeks back, Kael said they are 'looking at/planning' to give Lock-box/Lobi ships the 6th Tier Unlock Mastery as per the Jem'Hadar. When this happens, I am not sure, and the Dev's won't tell you, so watch the News Feed for more details in the future. I can't whether this will apply to T5U's though.

omg i hope this includes t6 connie as well :joy:
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    husanakx wrote: »

1) Those that spend real $ to buy Zen. For one of two reasons. To convert directly to EC buying keys, and/or convert Zen directly to Dil so they don't have to farm.

2) Those that farm ungodly amounts of Dil to sell to the people looking to buy it with Zen.

If you are not spending $20+ dollars a week in group one. If you are not farming 200k+ dil a day. Then you are not a part of either group.

Removing the reason to do either of those things by making lobi and lockbox ships account unlocks in whole or in part (traits or consoles) would be the end of those 2 groups... who drive 90% of Cryptics revenue.

Source? Links to this EXACT data? References? If none of the above then I call Equine Excrement.

While we know from the "industry" chatter that "whales" do contribute significant amount to game studio revenue, I have not seen any data or indication from Cryptic that this is there "sole" revenue maker, and in fact I would be more inclined to think that the "casual spender" (i.e. ~$10 p/m) would have more of a contribution on the ongoing finances - That and certain "special" items, such as a new ship, or starter pack, or something like the Breach Event token purchase.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
    bendalek wrote: »

Source? Links to this EXACT data? References? If none of the above then I call Equine Excrement.

While we know from the "industry" chatter that "whales" do contribute significant amount to game studio revenue, I have not seen any data or indication from Cryptic that this is there "sole" revenue maker, and in fact I would be more inclined to think that the "casual spender" (i.e. ~$10 p/m) would have more of a contribution on the ongoing finances - That and certain "special" items, such as a new ship, or starter pack, or something like the Breach Event token purchase.

Its a simple real world fact.

If you have 100 sales people 10 of them are going to account for 90% of the sales.

IF you have any company with a specific number of repeat customers... 10% of them are going to account for 90% of the sales.

Its just the way it is.

If a simple 10-15 bucks a month was profitable... this game would still be sub based. The reason the wider gaming industry is loot box crazy is simple... its more profitable. If you have a captive customer base of X number of players 10% are going to be your drivers. STO isn't different.

Devaluing gamble boxes is not an option. The suggestion of making gamble box prizes one and done.... is a non starter.
  • titanhoss#9356 titanhoss Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Why not just make one simpler change that might up the appeal... Instead of making them 'account unlock'... make them 'account bound' so that if you find it's not a good ship for that one toon, you can move it to a different toon?
    Why not just make one simpler change that might up the appeal... Instead of making them 'account unlock'... make them 'account bound' so that if you find it's not a good ship for that one toon, you can move it to a different toon?

They would then have to add tech to unearn ship traits unlocks, admiralty cards and console reclaims. If they where able to do that though sure it wouldn't devalue the ships terribly.
    I thought you could claim trait unlocks through the dil store...
    wouldn't have to 'unearn' console reclaims, just make the requirement having that ship in your active roster...
    edited November 2018
    I thought you could claim trait unlocks through the dil store...
    wouldn't have to 'unearn' console reclaims, just make the requirement having that ship in your active roster...

For lockbox and lobi ships ? No they are one per toon. So they would have to make a way for the system to delete them from your list of ship traits if you reboxed your ship and gave it to another toon.

The only traits you can claim on alts... are some of the oldest Zen store T6s that don't have cross faction options. So things like Battle Ready from the fed Intel cruiser can be claimed on KDF alts. (fed alts still need to unlock it)

The problem with consoles... is a lot of the newer ships have universal consoles you can use on any ship. Also I'm not sure if Cryptic should let people say buy 3 xindi lockbox ships shuffle them around 3 toons... and have full 3 set piece lockbox grade console sets on all 3 toons with a different xindi ship. (xindi as an example but same would apply to all lockbox faction ships that have console set bonuses)

Really I don't see Cryptic ever going though that much trouble to enable lockbox ship reboxing so you can move them around to alts. Thing is people are complaining cause they want those Lockbox ship consoles and traits on all their alts for the price of one.... that can't happen for economic reasons. Moving the rewards to another toon... seems logical, it would also be complicated. It would also cause Cryptic a ton of hate mail when people reboxed their lockbox ships and realize they aren't allowed to keep the ship trait on those toons.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    bendalek wrote: »

How about simple logic than. Oh and who said anything about whales being the SOLE source of income? Just that they are the majority. Which pretty much every industry reports says is true...but hey, why take their word for it when we can just take yours without even THAT much to back it up. Not only that, casual spenders could not keep this game going. When it was a sub and EVERYONE had to pay more than 10 bucks a pop per month, it wasn't enough to keep the game lights on...much less get more content that we are now. And the the none whales don't even spend 10 bucks a month. A F2P game that has a conversion rate of more than 25% at the measly 10 bucks a month is considered to be doing extremely well. Hell having that rate of people who spend money at ALL is considered good. That means people spend 10 buck...period. Not a penny more while playing for YEARS. So either cryptic is doing so well that it is shattering industry standards left and right and NOBODY is publishing ANYTHING about it...or we really do need them whales.

Cold, you pretty much crushed it here. The bottom line is that what the OP suggests would cause whales to spend less while not causing non-whales to spend any more than they already do. So now we ask ourselves, where is the loss of revenue and profitability going to come from?
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    and I never said anything about 'reboxing'.. all I said if they changed one simple flag on items.. from 'bound to character' to 'bound to account'... they already have items that are 'account bind on equip'..
    and I never said anything about 'reboxing'.. all I said if they changed one simple flag on items.. from 'bound to character' to 'bound to account'... they already have items that are 'account bind on equip'..

Well how exactly do you trade a ship to another toon that has already been opened ? At some point its going to have to go back into a box to mail / bank swap to your other toon... isn't it ?

So its going to have to go back in a box.

If you allow the trait and console to stay behind... it means people would buy one ship. And trade it to all their toons unlocking the trait on all their toons. Devaluing the ship greatly. Why would anyone grind for more then one. Cryptic isn't going to give up all that revenue. They don't even let people do that with fleet ships.

So for that idea to work at all... it has to go back into a box. Cryptic would need to add a mechanic that deletes the trait from your trait inventory, and deletes the console from your inventories... and its reclaim flag, as well as any special weapons the ship may have in the case of lockbox ships with experimental weapons.

Assuming they could do that. Sure it makes perfect sense. Rebox give it to another toon... why not. As long as it removes all the perks the ship gave that toon so you can transfer them to your alt. I would say that would be fine. It would still greatly devalue lockbox ships... but not as badly as just letting everyone with 30 toons use the same lockbox on all their toons.
    Also keep in mind that there really are some of us with 100s of lockbox and lobi ships. Frankly at this point if Cryptic said ok One per account and your golden. I would quit in disgust. Also it would be an obvious sign that they where cashing out before shutting the servers off. lol
    Also lets all get a little real here. Cryptic doesn't even make phoenix grand prize ships account unlock. And they gave those away for free at one point. Good luck getting them to give you 30-40-50+ lockbox ships for the price of one.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    The OP's account wide ship request is never gonna happen.
    It's too late to say "never", anyway. The idea has been talked about officially. At this point, a chilling effect has now been imposed as people on both sides will hesitate out of uncertainty. It now MUST be done to end the chill, or people will just drag their feet on buying anything, unless they want to FIRMLY declare that they will NEVER allow this and not back down. But since a declaration of No is never going to be as solid as a fait accompli, the question will persist.

As such, it's inevitable now.
    Cryptic has shown a willingness to experiment with new ideas so I think we'll see them test this idea on a new ship from an upcoming lock box or promo. Possibly a lobi ship too. I do believe this in part because they tested out scaling ships with the new T1-4 Walker in the c-store. So I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen. I wouldn't expect them to all of a sudden make all prize ships account wide though.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User

Well how exactly do you trade a ship to another toon that has already been opened ? At some point its going to have to go back into a box to mail / bank swap to your other toon... isn't it ?

So its going to have to go back in a box.

If you allow the trait and console to stay behind... it means people would buy one ship. And trade it to all their toons unlocking the trait on all their toons. Devaluing the ship greatly. Why would anyone grind for more then one. Cryptic isn't going to give up all that revenue. They don't even let people do that with fleet ships.

So for that idea to work at all... it has to go back into a box. Cryptic would need to add a mechanic that deletes the trait from your trait inventory, and deletes the console from your inventories... and its reclaim flag, as well as any special weapons the ship may have in the case of lockbox ships with experimental weapons.

Assuming they could do that. Sure it makes perfect sense. Rebox give it to another toon... why not. As long as it removes all the perks the ship gave that toon so you can transfer them to your alt. I would say that would be fine. It would still greatly devalue lockbox ships... but not as badly as just letting everyone with 30 toons use the same lockbox on all their toons.

STO is designed around the idea of doing many one-way transactions. As such, reverting all of the things involved in having commissioned a ship, in order to rebox it, would be a dubious approach. Currently, we can't even decommission ships without leaving potentially problematic remnants behind.

An interactive system like an account drydock would be the most "immersive" approach to handling that kind of thing, but it would require a great deal of real work to prevent wrong-faction acquisition and I don't believe Cryptic is prepared for this kind of undertaking.

Seems the most readily available system that can be utilised for this purpose, requiring the least amount of work, would be the reclaim system used in the C-store. It's a system where everything is hardcoded, and all of the types of things Cryptic has historically had trouble handling can be tuned by hand, rather than left to the mercy of something that may one day become a black-box system.

Changing lockbox, lobi, and promo ships to provide an account unlock would increase their value considerably, and I'm all for that. That said, it does seem like the kind of change that would be reserved for the "just before the end times" era, where the "end times" would have changes like making them all available from the c-store for a small amount of zen, or outright dispensed from a console for free.
    /channel_join grind
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I would be happy if one toon having a bug ship unlocked the hangars for the account
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Playing Diablo III, regardless of its other merits, can be a bit of an eye opener because in D3 almost all items are account wide.
    An eye opener because of the way this actually increases, rather than decreases their value.

So, speaking for myself, if there were ships that i could buy for lobi, that were account wide, I'd be more inclined to collect those ships that currently I just don't even consider as, currently if I buy a ship that forces me to play that one character. Which means, I'd probably be converting more Zen to Lobi...

Now I am not talking about a ship that, once purchased is trivially re-purchasable on multiple characters... If I want to characters to have that ship ready at the same time then I should buy two ships...

So, my proposal is:
    1. Give us an extra tab in Starship Selection to store Account Bound ships or just extend the Dry Dock to have slots for account bound ships.
    2. Actually give us some lobi ships that are Account Bound to buy.
    3. Profit, as players actually buy more, rather than less ships.
    Post edited by ihatepwe735 on
    edited November 2018
    westmetals wrote: »

Ah!. Thats me before coffee.
    My rant relates to the Lobi ships I have that are currently stuck on characters I no longer play. So yes, all the ships I buy now are strictly Zen or event ships that are account wide.

I just don't want to bother with a Lobi/Fleet ship and unlock it on the wrong toon.
    Especially when things like the Delta Recruit program swing around and I'm tempted to re-roll a few of my characters but wait! the old ones have some Lobi ship unlocks on them.

Or, if I delete a character, please for the love of all that is holy, give me the lobi / fleet credit ships back to give to another toon.

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I have bought many lobi ships and recently the Jem recon bug(1 billion ec), but they and their traits are only good for 1 toon, I have several (klink,rom,delta,disco and jems) and it's way way to expensive to get these ships and traits for alt accounts. Please make the ships or at least their traits account wide. That way we can build up our other toons too.I know this isn't the first post on this but this is a feature we badly need. thank you

This will be changing in the near future, so you're in luck. From the live-stream a couple of weeks back, Kael said they are 'looking at/planning' to give Lock-box/Lobi ships the 6th Tier Unlock Mastery as per the Jem'Hadar. When this happens, I am not sure, and the Dev's won't tell you, so watch the News Feed for more details in the future. I can't whether this will apply to T5U's though.

I guess it's good to have hope.. even false hope.

Never gonna happen man... never gonna happen.

C'mon Cryptic.. prove me wrong, I'll wait.

And wait..

And wait..
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

I guess it's good to have hope.. even false hope.

GALEN: There is hope, but it is at best a slim hope.
    SHERIDAN: Yeah, well I've never known hope when it wasn't on a diet.

:)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    So...you want them to move to a model that will cause them to lose money because you personally want to delete a toon that has a lobi ship and you want your lobi back because of buyers remorse. Yeah...no.

No. I want them to move to a model where they get more money because more players other than myself will value lobi ships more as something to *buy*.
    i.e. when you buy something you _have_ it. It's what gives things value.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    So...you want them to move to a model that will cause them to lose money because you personally want to delete a toon that has a lobi ship and you want your lobi back because of buyers remorse. Yeah...no.

Buyers remorse pertains to regretting having spent (too much?). He doesn't regret having bought his Lobi ship, though: he would just like to see it 'ported', as it were (as in not having to buy it twice). Completely different situation.

Also, not aimed at you specifically, but it's a long-since outmoded economic idea, that allowing someone to use the same item, say, in 3 different locations (toons here) amounts to 2 losses. Often, being able to use it on multiple toons, means you're likely to buy the item in the first place (as you're getting a better bang for your buck). For example, I bought a T6 Kazon Escort recently (not Lobi, but the same principle applies). I bought it, in no small part, because I could claim it on all my 3 major toons. So, that doesn't meant Cryptic had 2 sale losses, as I would otherwise have simply not bought the ship to begin with.

The same could be said for Lobi ships: it's more enticing to buy one in the first place, when you know you'll be able to use it on multiple toons. It would seem Cryptic is finally wising up to this (rather basic) economic reality. I'm not holding my breath, waiting for them to get there, though. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.