test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online's 2018/2019 Roadmap!

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I really hope there is NOT a recruitment event later on. I really do not want to create and level yet another character. Don’t get me wrong, I like the perks from Delta, AoY and ViL as it helps leveling character. But the grind of level is getting a bit ridiculous.

I am also wondering if I should have purchased the AoD starter pack as that more or less implies there will be a full pack later on.

Ditto, I have a head-cannoned original FED with a DSC background (love the Crossfield, wanted to make it central) and an AoD character. The alt-start for Discovery characters is now my favorite way of starting the game but I don't think I'd be able to fully develop another DSC character (something a recruitment event does try to reward) unless it was something truly unique like a Cyborg officer.

I say, save it for another alt-start or mini-faction. I think we're pretty well satisfied ATM for new character creation (ViL then AoD…)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    So basically this is now Star Trek Discovery Online? No thanks, time to find a new game and no you can't have my stuff.
    Yeah man, you know how after Legacy of Romulus it was Star Trek: Romulans Online? Or how after Delta Rising it was Star Trek: Voyager Online? or how after Agents of Yesterday it was Star Trek: The Original Series Online? Or how after Victory is Life is was Star Trek: Deep Space 9 Online?

Ohh wait, that didn't happen in any of those cases.... so why exactly do we think it will happen now?

Legacy of Romulus, Delta Rising, and Victory is Life all take place in the 2409 timeline which this game is supposed to take place in, but we're getting more content from the distant past? I want to see the post Nemesis timeline not the Discovery era which is what we've (mostly) got over the last years. AOD just brings the momentum of STO to a screeching stop and kills the flow of the game.

Why not turn Red Shirt into a Enterprise/Discovery/TOS server for fans of those shows?
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    So basically this is now Star Trek Discovery Online? No thanks, time to find a new game and no you can't have my stuff.
    Yeah man, you know how after Legacy of Romulus it was Star Trek: Romulans Online? Or how after Delta Rising it was Star Trek: Voyager Online? or how after Agents of Yesterday it was Star Trek: The Original Series Online? Or how after Victory is Life is was Star Trek: Deep Space 9 Online?

Ohh wait, that didn't happen in any of those cases.... so why exactly do we think it will happen now?

Legacy of Romulus, Delta Rising, and Victory is Life all take place in the 2409 timeline which this game is supposed to take place in, but we're getting more content from the distant past? I want to see the post Nemesis timeline not the Discovery era which is what we've (mostly) got over the last years. AOD just brings the momentum of STO to a screeching stop and kills the flow of the game.

Why not turn Red Shirt into a Enterprise/Discovery/TOS server for fans of those shows?

The game actually will eventually return to telling the story in 2410, due to what occurs with the Discovery storyline.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    edited October 2018

You do realize the trigger for this are two episodes explaining what a certain character is doing in the 25th century? You've experienced far longer temporal arcs before, why should this one be such a stretch? Furthermore, AOD isn't what ended the narrative flow we've grown accustomed to, begun with season 12. That was the conclusion of VIL. This is a new thread, it will feel like we're starting up again. It's natural to where we are in this arc. Timetravel is not the key variable here, only the arbitrary point of connection allowing criticism to flow from one unassuming element to DSC in order to suggest removing it from STO.

Note the title of the game, it's not just about one iteration of the franchise and you'll be hard pressed indeed to try explaining how time travel shouldn't factor into a Star Trek property (every series has invoked it at some point.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    coldnapalm wrote: »

You do realize the trigger for this are two episodes explaining what a certain character is doing in the 25th century? You've experienced far longer temporal arcs before, why should this one be such a stretch? Furthermore, AOD isn't what ended the narrative flow we've grown accustomed to, begun with season 12. That was the conclusion of VIL. This is a new thread, it will feel like we're starting up again. It's natural to where we are in this arc. Timetravel is not the key variable here, only the arbitrary point of connection allowing criticism to flow from one unassuming element to DSC in order to suggest removing it from STO.

Note the title of the game, it's not just about one iteration of the franchise and you'll be hard pressed indeed to try explaining how time travel shouldn't factor into a Star Trek property (every series has invoked it at some point.)

You do realize that the VERY next episode we get is a return to TRIBBLE era...right? It's the battle of the binary stars. So...no, we aren't going right back to the 25th C. timeline. Although to be fair, there is less content out of timeline than in AoY...and hell even the main bloody game. So complaining that it is spending too much out of the main timeline I agree is a moronic argument. Even the whole too much TRIBBLE...honestly if what they have listed is all they are doing, it is still less than AoY or even this latest Dominion bit so...yeah. Not sure that is exactly a valid argument as well. Which basically leaves the it's not trek crowd...who unfortunately does not get a say in the matter as they are not the IP holders. But they are however free to vote with their wallets and vocally as well.

Actually, what Battle of the Binary Stars is a TFO, not an episode, as taken from the Welcome to Age of Discovery blog. The exact quote:
    Throughout AoD, we will be introducing exciting new TFOs that advance the narrative, while remastering and recreating others. This kicks off with the all-new TFO, Defense of Starbase 1, followed shortly thereafter by our first Featured Task Force Operation – Battle at the Binary Stars. In this new 3-Week Event, players will have an opportunity to earn exclusive rewards fighting side-by-side with fellow captains in one of the most important battles in Federation history.

The next episode we'll get probably won't be until January, which is going to be a mirror universe episode with the return of Mary Wiseman, this time playing Captain Sylvia "Killy" Tilly.

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Actually, what Battle of the Binary Stars is a TFO, not an episode, as taken from the Welcome to Age of Discovery blog. The exact quote:
    Many TFO's now seem to be part of episode chains. The last Discovery TFO is also part of the Discovery episode chain so I would guess the next one will be as well.

You do realize that the VERY next episode we get is a return to TRIBBLE era...right? It's the battle of the binary stars. So...no, we aren't going right back to the 25th C. timeline. Although to be fair, there is less content out of timeline than in AoY...and hell even the main bloody game. So complaining that it is spending too much out of the main timeline I agree is a moronic argument. Even the whole too much TRIBBLE...honestly if what they have listed is all they are doing, it is still less than AoY or even this latest Dominion bit so...yeah. Not sure that is exactly a valid argument as well. Which basically leaves the it's not trek crowd...who unfortunately does not get a say in the matter as they are not the IP holders. But they are however free to vote with their wallets and vocally as well.
    I know we don't always agree and have spent a lot of time on opposite sides of debates but I am with you on this. I find duncanidaho11 attitude and posts toxic towards the community. Its one of the reasons they and myself clash so much. I have already been mislabeled a Discovery hater in this thread when I have nothing against Discovery. What I really find interesting is your line "So go look in the mirror before you call somebody toxic. " Its interesting to see how many different people have said that to duncanidaho11. Its not the first time he has been told to look in the mirror as he is doing what he is accusing other people off.

edited October 2018
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Many TFO's now seem to be part of episode chains. The last Discovery TFO is also part of the Discovery episode chain so I would guess the next one will be as well.

From the standpoint of the quoted section I put and when AoD takes place, the Battle of the Binary Stars is before the Discovery character's story begins, as the war is already in progress. It's supposed to be a 3 week long TFO event, similar to Mirror Invasion, Crystalline Cataclysm or the event Breach.

• madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    Good grief!

Anyone would think the world is ending.

Age of Discovery was not ever going to be a one off thing (as much as the haters would prefer). It's an "Age" an "arc" that is going to introduce new content, new storylines and tie in with the current TV series.

This is a good thing.

STO has been reliant on TNG (31+ years old), DS9 (25+ years old), Voyager (23+ years old), Enterprise (17+ years old) and of course TOS (52+ years old) for content and storyline, and none of those series are in production or continuing. They are over. STO has had to build on what it can from them - getting actors from the various series to voice characters in game? Fantastic thing, and I doff my hat to the team for doing that. All franchises and series are represented within the game - ALL of them, even Enterprise (albeit only by Daniels at the moment). Ships/Gear/Costumes from all the series and films are available in game (and have been pretty much since the beta - which is when I got the TWOK uniform).

Even JJ's take on Star Trek (which is coming up to being TEN years old) has content in game, and a single mission - if you chose to play it.

All of Star Trek is represented. Why on Earth would they not include Discovery? It's the current show, it's alive now, being produced now. It is Star Trek today, not from a decade ago - or even further. It's happening now at this moment. No doubt when the Picard series airs, we will get stuff to do with that in game - maybe even *gasp* have Picard in game - because that will be Trek from now, not yesteryear.

Drawing on the new shows is always going to be a good thing, and we should be happy that Cryptic are able to do so.

One of the draws of STO is that it allows you to play Trek the way YOU want to play it. You pick your faction, you pick which Fed starting experience you want, you pick your ships and gear, you pick your uniform and look. Choice, such massive choice in a single game - and people are moaning about it? People want to limit choice and reduce the game to content from shows that (at best ) are nearly 20 years dead/out of date?

My mind boggles at such attitude.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
    edited October 2018

You do realize that the VERY next episode we get is a return to TRIBBLE era...right? It's the battle of the binary stars.

Binary a PVE event (note term: EVENT in the roadmap), the next episode is coming around the anniversary with AoD part 2 (per dev comments on Ten Forward weekly). :|

(flame/troll material removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    Ok, so far, as moderation goes, we've been pretty understanding in this thread regarding various dissenting views towards Discovery and its inclusion in STO. Arguing for/against various topics/subjects with relation to Discovery and its inclusion is one thing, attacking/insulting people directly for their views or expressing their views is another. That needs to stop. Please, stay civil towards one another even when disagreeing. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • herrgis#1415 herrgis Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    To quote darthmeow504
    "I have not logged in once since [AoD] launched. It looks like I'll not be doing so until winter event, unless they slime that with TRIBBLE oozings as well. I guess I'll be logging off again after that until summer and Risa, again on the same condition they not Disco that up too."

To quote anyajenkins
    "Disco part2 and 3... This is suicide... like Marvel Heroes...prepare yourself for the last year of what use to be a great game..."

I'd say it is obvious that some posters here have an issue -not with the portrayal of specific in game content- but, with even the thought that Discovery content would make it's way into a Star Trek game, regardless of how that content was worked into it. I've encountered players who don't participate in content because it's 'not canon' (e.g., Winter Event), however, it is disappointing to see people imprinting their dislike for a show onto new content (they haven't played) in an independent game.

To expect AoD to trigger The End of the Game TM is unlikely. The game is more than any one Star Trek series or movie and reflects the diverse and ever changing styles of programming across 50+ years of the franchise.

I think Madhatch1971 pretty much sums up the right approach: to treat AoD as another new arc of episodes in a series that we call STO.
    [Age of Discovery is] an "Age" an "arc" that is going to introduce new content, new storylines and tie in with the current TV series. <tiny snip> Drawing on the new shows is always going to be a good thing, and we should be happy that Cryptic are able to do so.

One of the draws of STO is that it allows you to play Trek the way YOU want to play it. You pick your faction, you pick which Fed starting experience you want, you pick your ships and gear, you pick your uniform and look. Choice, such massive choice in a single game - and people ... want to limit choice and reduce the game to content from shows that (at best ) are nearly 20 years [old]? My mind boggles at such attitude.

You need to think of Star Trek Online as a marathon, not a sprint. Senlac t'Karveth
    Sometimes the Universe allows for the making of unexpected memories. Philippa Georgiou
    No matter your shame, gather your strength. Find a way to help those in need. Sarek of Vulcan
  • batbakiabatbakia Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Everytime the same old story ,whoever speaks against disco the verdict is that he/she is a hater not a true trek fan ,good riddance etc and with no true arguments .I won't play any disco content too . Better judged like a hater than a disco lover .The sad thing is that star trek losing the simple established fact that is The Star Trek .
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    Can people please stop using TRIBBLE as an abbreviation for Discovery, you know full well the abbreviation is DSC you're just trying to start an argument. Let other people like discovery, it's their opinion and they're entitled to it.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    Some folks in here need to dial it way back, and you know who you are. As my cohort above said, folks are permitted to debate provided that debate is kept civil. If folks can't do that, it will result in moderation. We will be watching.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    batbakia wrote: »
    Everytime the same old story ,whoever speaks against disco the verdict is that he/she is a hater not a true trek fan ,good riddance etc and with no true arguments .I won't play any disco content too . Better judged like a hater than a disco lover .The sad thing is that star trek losing the simple established fact that is The Star Trek .

Those of us that have been around since Trek first hit the TV screens have heard all the arguments before - the changes made in TAS, the movies, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, Kelvin and now Discovery mean that they are no longer Trek.

To quote Gene "... Star Trek is about the human adventure..."

At their core, all iterations of Trek have captured that idea; the human adventure. That adventure isn't just about seeking out new worlds to explore - but exploring what it means to be who we are, be that who we are in times of peace, times of change, times of pain, times of war, times of disagreement. That is the true essence of Star Trek, the human adventure - not the uniforms, or the makeup for the aliens, or the ship designs... It's the journey and what we learn along the way, how it changes us, how it redefines us, and what it ends up making us.

But that's just my two-cents about Trek and it's over-reaching philosophy.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • batbakiabatbakia Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    batbakia wrote: »
    It's the journey and what we learn along the way, how it changes us, how it redefines us, and what it ends up making us.

Mostly i agree but I won't argue Star Trek philosophy ,but i will disco one . A minor example is "Shoot first ask questions later" or a major one in battle of binary stars when they put a bomb inside a corpse.
    Double tapping, or putting a mine/ bomb under a corpse so that when the other side comes to pick the corpse up has been a practice in the bloodiest civil wars, ala Bosnia, Kosovo, Syria, Libya, Afghanistan and Iraq. It's considered a war crime and crime against humanity. but in Discovery, the federation literally does exactly that.
    So what that "philosophy" make us ? They even admitted lately that they'll try to be in trek tone for s2 ,which means s1 not trek at all.
    So many flaws so many bad corrections and explanations that anger but mostly sadness is fully understandable.
  • ishigami2ishigami2 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    I’m not against more TRIBBLE content.
    STO doesn't really dive all too deep into the subjects. They just take some reference of the shows and spin some in-offensive rather basic plot around it.
    What remains are more or less some visual designs you either like or not.

E.g.: Does it really matter for STO that Michael Burnham is called Michael because some idiot hack though he had to virtue signal and promote gender fluidity when Michael Burnham never appears in STO? I don’t think so.

The same goes for the base story. That Klingon thing is just there to grab some power to win a war.
    The game thus far never points out that the war started because of identity politics. Therefore I see no reason to care either.
    Considering the time difference, and the Game of Thrones nature I thus far experienced in the show (haven’t seen too much of it yet), it seems rather unlikely that without some serious time travelling shenanigans we ever meet much of the “cast” anyway.

I still want that TRIBBLE Connie: https://www.anovos.com/products/star-trek-discovery-ncc-1701-u-s-s-enterprise-constitution-class-studio-scale-starship-filming-miniature
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ishigami2 wrote: »
    E.g.: Does it really matter for STO that Michael Burnham is called Michael because some idiot hack though he had to virtue signal and promote gender fluidity when Michael Burnham never appears in STO? I don’t think so.
    So you have no knowledge of why she is called Michael?

Bryan Fuller has given most of his female leads men's names, and they chose the word Michael because its the name of the archangel of protection.
    Also, "Michael" is only construed as male in modern usage. Historically it hasn't always been used as a male name.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited October 2018
    Folks should tune into this week's Ten Forward weekly. Andre has a LOT of great info about upcoming content. For example:
    • 3-Week PVE grinds will now be the introduction of new TFOs, Battle at Binary will fold into permanent queues with changes (based on performance, what people like)
    • Pavho will likewise be a featured TFO (ground), become a permanent queue after event (it's set in 2410)
    • Featured TFO events will replace Featured Episode events, include similar rewards in addition to expected unlocks
    • New episodes will not be forced into a 3-4 week grind with gradually unlocking rewards, they'll simply be released for folks to enjoy as they see fit.
    • Next episode up: ISS Discovery in 2410
    • Two episodes referenced in relation to AoD part 2 (not sure we can call this confirmed yet)
    • Cmdr. Landry will feature in STO in April for the Limited Engagement TFO event, may involve elements from Lorca's backstory too.
    • Limited Engagement will compliment AoD Part 3 (sounds like details are still being worked on)
    • Naturally the roadmap isn't fully comprehensive (particularly with respect to the parts), see spiel about "we don't talk about unannounced upcoming content."
    • Playable Borg: "we'll get to it."
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

DO IT! DO IT NOW!!!!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @kabutotokugawa said:
    > marty123#3757 wrote: »
    >
    > Can people please stop using TRIBBLE as an abbreviation for Discovery, you know full well the abbreviation is DSC you're just trying to start an argument. Let other people like discovery, it's their opinion and they're entitled to it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No.
    > Bryan Fuller is the fool that created the acronym, if you don't like that acronym, then blame him.
    > I normally use an abbreviation for shows I talk about so for me it is just habit. For example, I refer to Space Battleship Yamato as SBY. There is SBY 2199, SBY 2202, SBY: VoCA (Voyage of the Celestial Ark). Star Wars is the same thing for me: SW:4 ANH, SW: 5 ESB, SW: 6 RoTJ, etc.
    > So for me, when I post, you'll see me write ST:TMP, ST:TOS, STE, STV (Voyager), ST:2 WoK, ST:3 SFS, ST:4 VH (or save the whales. :smiley: ), ST:TNG, ST:DS9, etc. Same for BSG.
    > So Star Trek Discontinuity is TRIBBLE for me, I can still abbreviate it as DIS, DISCO, or DSC as they all fit Discontinuity just fine.

That isn't its name and Fuller and the other production staff clearly said the abbreviation for Discovery is DSC.

You sure about that?

What about alien sex? “There’s a reason why we call it ‘TRIBBLE’,” joked Fuller about the show’s acronym, “It’s still Star Trek and we’re not subject to broadcast standards and practices. Hannibal was, and we got away with murder. There will be slightly more graphic content.”

https://deadline.com/2016/08/star-trek-discovery-bryan-fuller-cbs-all-access-1201801698/

STO (the game whose forums you're on) uses DSC, check the lobi store sometime.