test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online's 2018/2019 Roadmap!

1235711

Comments

  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 3,091 Arc User
    shpoks wrote: »
    I must say, I find it somewhat amusing to see people that seemingly had no issues (at least not to the point of stopping to invest money or leaving STO) when the Jurrasic Park a.k.a. Dinosaurs with freakin' laz0rz on their heads season hit holodeck or didn't mind the aesthetics of tons of alien ships around ESD being utilized by Starfleet for some reason, not to mention officers dressed like Bozo the clown running around on missions, but a couple of Discovery themed episodes and we're suddenly jumping ship.

    Because Starfleet flying Iconian gargantuan whatstheirname space magic ships makes more sense then everything we've seen in Star Trek: Discovery. Flawless logic, Surak would be envious. ;):D
    Its more then just the Discovery themed content. Its also the poor design decisions that are arriving along side the Discovery content and having a negative impact on the none Discovery areas of the game.
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    ilithyn wrote: »
    Hard to say anything definite without any kind of detail, but personally this looks interesting. Nice to see that the personal endeavors are indeed becoming a thing, I'd feared they'd been shelved permanently.
    Indeed. Is this a good start? Yes, it is - in fact, I think that regular presentations of this should should have been standard operating procedure from the very beginning. Is there room for improvement? Certainly. More to the point, it is now incumbent upon the dev team to be forthright with us going forward on what progress is being made towards those goals, what issues have arisen and are being addressed, et cetera (consider by way of example Digital Extreme's communication habits with respect to Warframe). That's how you draw and hold interest (and investment - why would anyone give money to an entity whose most common answer to questions as to what is being done with that money is 'we don't talk about upcoming content'?)... and I plan to see whether or not the upcoming Ten Forward will be evidence of that lesson being applied.
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 814 Arc User
    shpoks wrote: »
    Because Starfleet flying Iconian gargantuan whatstheirname space magic ships makes more sense then everything we've seen in Star Trek: Discovery. Flawless logic, Surak would be envious. ;):D

    But unless you the player chooses to fly one of these, then that has zero impact. I ignore all PVP and social aspects of the game and play it exclusively as a single player story experience. So that, while yes it is a little silly if you try to apply logic to it but like the uniforms it's just a necessary part of the medium, makes no difference to me. However the Discovery content does matter to me as does the future of the game and if what we have is an indication I am worried.

  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 7,136 Arc User
    More to the point, it is now incumbent upon the dev team to be forthright with us going forward on what progress is being made towards those goals, what issues have arisen and are being addressed, et cetera
    No, it isn't. In fact, they have every reason to not talk about this very thing because of how utterly toxic gaming playerbases are.

  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,944 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Its more then just the Discovery themed content. Its also the poor design decisions that are arriving along side the Discovery content and having a negative impact on the none Discovery areas of the game.

    Realistically, we have barely scratched the surface of the Discovery themed content. What do we have from DISCO for now - only the adapted tutorial, 2 missions, one TFO, uniforms, 3 ships, some weapons, the DISCO faction UI and special sound/visual effect and a tardigrade pet. Hardly something that breaks the game or impacts one's personal experience.

    I'm not sure which design decisions you speak of, except 'streamlining the content' by removing missions or simplifying the queue UI, in which case that has nothing to do with the Discovery themed content and has begun long ago - ever since that infamous dev. brain-TRIBBLE "We're removing older content in order to keep the download size of the game acceptable so new players wouldn't be discouraged to download the game". *facepalm*
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    But unless you the player chooses to fly one of these, then that has zero impact. I ignore all PVP and social aspects of the game and play it exclusively as a single player story experience. So that, while yes it is a little silly if you try to apply logic to it but like the uniforms it's just a necessary part of the medium, makes no difference to me. However the Discovery content does matter to me as does the future of the game and if what we have is an indication I am worried.

    But I still see them everytime I dock at ESD and it doesn't feel like a Federation main hub, but more as a circus to me. :D

    As I said, 'The Sphere' season was a trainwreck for me and having super-advanced species like the Voth utilize dinosaurs with lasers on their heads and backs to confront the Federation-Klingon-Romulan alliance to me was dumber than having Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne's dog-van fly though space in the game (and still is, to this day) - that didn't mean it would be all 'Cadillacs and dinosaurs' :D from then on. And that was part of the content that we needed to play through as well.

    I'm under the impression that people project their, to put it mildly - disenchantment with the Discovery TV show (opinion I don't share, but to each their own) onto the Discovery content in this game, of which we have barely seen anything yet. There is nothing game breaking or high impact (yes, I'm looking at you "best expansion ever and the players love it") with this season so far that would grant such disappointment as is being displayed by certain players on these boards. I'm just saying that it isn't fair to blame our personal grudges with certain parts of Star Trek on the Cryptic devs. just because they're using a source material some of us like less, if their game-related work hasn't really undermined anything game-wise.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • coldnapalmcoldnapalm Member Posts: 8,172 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Actually...while lots of rants maybe a sign that the devs are doing something wrong from a player PoV, it does not mean they are doing so from an economic PoV. They all need to eat after all. If getting one TRIBBLE hater who hasn't spent money in 2 years to leave causes 10 people who like TRIBBLE to join and 3 of them start to spend money in the game, no matter how much the people who hate TRIBBLE complain, it makes more economic sense to do what the TRIBBLE hater hates and what the new fans of TRIBBLE wants...

    I'll start by saying that I don't know what other players spend on STO, but I used to spend between $100.00 and $200.00/month on Zen to buy ships (I had every C-Store Federation ship--including Fleet versions--prior to the new Ambassador class, and no TRIBBLE ships), dilithium, lockbox keys, fleet modules, and goodies like uniform packs for my toons. My last purchase was $200.00 in July for the ViL Gamma Vanguard Pack ($130.00 at the time). That was my last purchase as soon as AoD was announced and TRIBBLE was introduced into the game. Why? Because I dislike the look of Star Trek Discontinuity. It is the worst aesthetic change to Star Trek over it's 50-years (and there have been many changes, some drastic), and not worth my money. I'm not telling other people not to play or spend their money on it. If they like TRIBBLE, then they can spend the cash to support it. What I'm giving you here coldnaplm is an example of a "whale" who is moving on to richer oceans (Eve Online). I won't compare Eve to STO here since the admins here tend to get into a tizzy if I do. However, I will add to your comment that while your scenario may well be the case, the converse may also be true with the caveat that it is CBS, not Cryptic, that is driving TRIBBLE into STO as a marketing tool to try and force Trekkies to like Star Trek Discontinuity (or DIScontinuity, or DISCOntinuity, or DiSContinuity, no matter the acronym Discontinuity still fits). The problem for Cryptic is that those of us who started with this game back in 2009/2010 did so because we love the Matt Jefferies, Franz Joseph and especially Rich Sternbach aesthetic for Star Trek. THE most profitable ship in this game is/was the T6 ST:TMP Constitution class refit because for many of us that grew up with Star Trek, that version of the Constitution class was the iconic "symbol" of Star Trek. I should know, I spent hundreds of dollars on R&D packs to try and get the darn thing (to no avail). I did however have TWO Vengeance class Dreadnoughts (for two different toons), two Bulwark Dreads (for two different toons, bought a lot of dilithium for that), and one toon with so many different lobi ships and a few lockbox specials it was sick.
    I have invested so much money into this game that I cannot just delete my toons, nor am I going to give my toons away (or their stuff).
    So, to your point about taking a "break", that's what I'm doing indefinitely unless things change for the better.
    I'm hoping that one of two things (or both) will happen.
    Either CBS will get its act together and the aesthetic of Star Trek Discontinuity will be changed to be inline with the 50-years of previously established Star Trek aesthetic, OR, TRIBBLE will be slowly sunsetted from STO after this initial blitz and STO will get back to normal Star Trek content; or both, meaning the Bryan Fuller/Aaron Harberts version of the aesthetic for Star Trek will be scrapped and a new--more correct--aesthetic will replace the Discontinuous one.

    Once again, losing one whale if they can get three TRIBBLE ones will work out better for them just as well. if they will or not remains to be seen. Look, I am on the not gonna spend money and taking a break crowd...well playing a lot less anyways from this game in anycase too. So do what you want. If enough people stop spending and they can't replace that with new blood who will, they will either do what those of us who stopped spending asked to do...or they will go belly up. Pure and simple. So if you are not having fun anymore, stop playing and spending money. I know I am.
  • claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Typo? for some reason the roadmap says "Feh'Kiri", not the correct spelling of the group "Fek'Ihri".
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,608 Arc User
    and I plan to see whether or not the upcoming Ten Forward will be evidence of that lesson being applied.

    Community concerns regarding future content and bugs are addressed every week on ten forward. Seriously, what more are we expecting here?
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Last missions:
    Evolution's Smile [SSF:3-3]
    Epoch, Part 2 [AEI]
    Transcendence, Part 4
    Memorial Tour

    For the latest Tardigrades and other creative output: @Gorgonops_SSF
    Looking for something new to play? The interactive Foundry Mission Database has you covered.
  • coldnapalmcoldnapalm Member Posts: 8,172 Arc User
    and I plan to see whether or not the upcoming Ten Forward will be evidence of that lesson being applied.

    Community concerns regarding future content and bugs are addressed every week on ten forward. Seriously, what more are we expecting here?

    To actually see the results of what they talk about maybe...instead of more of the same broken stuff...year after year? But that is just me. Course I gave up on them fixing anything years ago and accept that it won't be fixed and generally okay with that. They do have a really tiny dev team after all...and coming from that field, I do understand...really. But making promises and saying you are working on things you know won't get done for ages still helps nobody.
  • bmcd73bmcd73 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    Please keep doing this! Don't need a ton of details but keeping this up is a great way to keep us engaged. I LOVE IT!
    Get to know the future of Star Trek Online. For the first time, we're revealing a roadmap of our plans on PC and Console up until the first half of 2019. Got questions? Make sure to watch #TenForwardWeekly next week!

    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11010493

  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 8,781 Arc User
    Love the road map..

    Love the Discovery Stuff..

    Love the idea of some of the new features..

    Keep it coming, great stuff!!
    animated.gif

    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    For tips, builds, guides and advice, be sure to visit The DPS League Site for all your needs.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 3,091 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    shpoks wrote: »
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Its more then just the Discovery themed content. Its also the poor design decisions that are arriving along side the Discovery content and having a negative impact on the none Discovery areas of the game.

    Realistically, we have barely scratched the surface of the Discovery themed content. What do we have from DISCO for now - only the adapted tutorial, 2 missions, one TFO, uniforms, 3 ships, some weapons, the DISCO faction UI and special sound/visual effect and a tardigrade pet. Hardly something that breaks the game or impacts one's personal experience.

    I'm not sure which design decisions you speak of, except 'streamlining the content' by removing missions or simplifying the queue UI, in which case that has nothing to do with the Discovery themed content and has begun long ago - ever since that infamous dev. brain-**** "We're removing older content in order to keep the download size of the game acceptable so new players wouldn't be discouraged to download the game". *facepalm*
    To be clear personally I don’t have a problem with the idea of Discovery content. The problem I have is none of what we have had so far is working or good content. None of the Discovery episodes work for me they all bug out within the first 5mins with the well-known spawn bug, I have not managed to complete a single one. They removed the great SB24 and replaced it with the Defend Star Base 1 which again is bugged with the same no spawn bug as the episodes and when it does work nowhere near as fun or well designed as SB24. Then we have the changes alongside Discovery like removal of RA and Random which have had a negative impact on many peoples play experience.

    Its not that they are going down the Discovery path that bothers me. That makes sense, its the poor way they are handling it and the fact they are clearly rushing broken content out before it is ready.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,756 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    inb4 the roadmap changes and some idiots start talking about Cryptic lying
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,790 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »

    Actually...while lots of rants maybe a sign that the devs are doing something wrong from a player PoV, it does not mean they are doing so from an economic PoV. They all need to eat after all. If getting ...

    The same story happened to another game, Marvel Heroes, a Mmoarpg with a strong playerbase a good devs team who takes care, and a lots of happy whales spending their money. But they wanted more money so they put the game on console market, made huge changes, changes that made the playerbase unhappy. after months of rants and negative opinions, they release a controversial update, the whales took their money elsewhere and the game begun to die.. less than a year after the game went offline in big walk of shame.

    Does this scenario remind you something? Console port, big changes (NWS, STF, sb24), the rants and bad opinions about a Update (the Discovery integration...)


    I'm not sure this is on the same level as marvel heroes. The console port here did not change the PC game at all. The big changes you mention is not pretty much universally hated. I hate it for sure. But there are people who do like it. Well...other than the fact that the random does not have a space/ground option. I think that is the only thing that everyone basically agrees is needed with the devs going no on. You hate it...I hate it...but really read what people say. It isn't as universal as you claim. Nor is it even universal in the core gamers here. So no, it is not like marvel heroes.
    I have done a few Random TFOs by now ,and I have yet to encounter a single Ground mission.
    I guess since the Random TFO system is first used to fill up queues where people are already waiting for more players, the chances of getting into a Ground TFO are slim - because very few are queing up for those in the first place, and there is always a Space TFO that needs to be filled. [/TANGENT]

    Besides that - yeah, I think the Marvel comparision is about as appropriate as the much old "New Game Experience" (Star Wars Galaxies?) comparisions. STO has never made changes as sweeping and fundamental as those game did. And it probably never will. Everything that happened in STO was much more incremental. Transition to F2P, blowing up Sector Block borders, Queue changes, Level Expansions, Trait changes. Even a big expansion like LoR really added more of the same, but with a different flavor (it's green).

    And obviously, a few months of Discovery related content is also just more of the same. Has Cryptic added story content and ships before? Yup, they did. That some people hate Discovery might seem unique, but I would wager to guess that there is only a minority that hates Discovery so much that they consider STO contiminated for good. After all, Cryptic is not rerunning the TV show in STO - it's taking threads (and threats?) from Disco and spinning a new story on it. That story can be judged on its own merits. And the ships - there is no guarantee that any ship made by Cryptic will be made to anyone's specific liking anyway. The next ship could be as attractive as a Romulan Dyson Destroyer or as ugly as a Federation Dyson Destroyer.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • steinbergsteinberg Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Interesting.

    Well means more new t6 discovery ships inbound (-stating the obvious).Hopefully Klingon and Federation.
    Roadmap -Seems to be pretty full up till may,something for every month -we should also take into account all the other usual weekend events we get.

    Star Trek is what the ip owners say it is (CBS).
    After all they own and fund the franchise.

    In the next series of Discovery we get to see a new version of the Enterprise,Spock,Pike etc.
    Could well get a glimpse into the relationship between federation members during that time period.

    The Mirror Universe from Discovery has not really been touched upon in STO.
    "Mirror Tilly" would be interesting as an opponent.

    I hope we get playable Disco Tellarites/Andorians etc.

    The winter ship could well be a frigate or an escort as opposed to a carrier-i learned it is best to wait and see..
    Hopefully part of a series of ships like we got from the Breen.




  • zellkarrathzellkarrath Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    This seems like quite the gamble, but I do appreciate a heads up on what we should expect for the rest of this year, and the start of next year. I wasn't very impressed with the launch of Age of Discovery so I appreciate we'll keep getting ongoing support. I also assume that a lot of minor updates and releases are missing from this roadmap, such as Lockbox releases, new ship releases, and other C-Store items. Hopefully there will be the odd Feature Episode release as well.
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    I am not a fan of the UI for the reputations. Liked the old one better.
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,944 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    shpoks wrote: »
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Its more then just the Discovery themed content. Its also the poor design decisions that are arriving along side the Discovery content and having a negative impact on the none Discovery areas of the game.

    Realistically, we have barely scratched the surface of the Discovery themed content. What do we have from DISCO for now - only the adapted tutorial, 2 missions, one TFO, uniforms, 3 ships, some weapons, the DISCO faction UI and special sound/visual effect and a tardigrade pet. Hardly something that breaks the game or impacts one's personal experience.

    I'm not sure which design decisions you speak of, except 'streamlining the content' by removing missions or simplifying the queue UI, in which case that has nothing to do with the Discovery themed content and has begun long ago - ever since that infamous dev. brain-**** "We're removing older content in order to keep the download size of the game acceptable so new players wouldn't be discouraged to download the game". *facepalm*
    To be clear personally I don’t have a problem with the idea of Discovery content. The problem I have is none of what we have had so far is working or good content. None of the Discovery episodes work for me they all bug out within the first 5mins with the well-known spawn bug, I have not managed to complete a single one. They removed the great SB24 and replaced it with the Defend Star Base 1 which again is bugged with the same no spawn bug as the episodes and when it does work nowhere near as fun or well designed as SB24. Then we have the changes alongside Discovery like removal of RA and Random which have had a negative impact on many peoples play experience.

    Its not that they are going down the Discovery path that bothers me. That makes sense, its the poor way they are handling it and the fact they are clearly rushing broken content out before it is ready.

    Ah, well, that's perfectly understandable then. Your dissatisfaction and complaints in this case are perfectly justified and unfortunately somewhat of an often occurrence in STO. I have been lucky with my new AoD character so far and haven't encountered any of the bugs for now, but similar issues have happened to me before. I hope Cryptic manages to amp up their game in that department, but to be perfectly honest - I'm not holding my breath.

    I was talking more about people that are hating on this season simply for being Discovery themed because of some personal biases.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 814 Arc User
    shpoks wrote: »
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    But unless you the player chooses to fly one of these, then that has zero impact. I ignore all PVP and social aspects of the game and play it exclusively as a single player story experience. So that, while yes it is a little silly if you try to apply logic to it but like the uniforms it's just a necessary part of the medium, makes no difference to me. However the Discovery content does matter to me as does the future of the game and if what we have is an indication I am worried.

    But I still see them everytime I dock at ESD and it doesn't feel like a Federation main hub, but more as a circus to me. :D

    As I said, 'The Sphere' season was a trainwreck for me and having super-advanced species like the Voth utilize dinosaurs with lasers on their heads and backs to confront the Federation-Klingon-Romulan alliance to me was dumber than having Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne's dog-van fly though space in the game (and still is, to this day) - that didn't mean it would be all 'Cadillacs and dinosaurs' :D from then on. And that was part of the content that we needed to play through as well.

    I'm under the impression that people project their, to put it mildly - disenchantment with the Discovery TV show (opinion I don't share, but to each their own) onto the Discovery content in this game, of which we have barely seen anything yet. There is nothing game breaking or high impact (yes, I'm looking at you "best expansion ever and the players love it") with this season so far that would grant such disappointment as is being displayed by certain players on these boards. I'm just saying that it isn't fair to blame our personal grudges with certain parts of Star Trek on the Cryptic devs. just because they're using a source material some of us like less, if their game-related work hasn't really undermined anything game-wise.

    True, the divided nature of such a passionate fanbase regarding Discovery is going to colour the perception of content based on its universe in both directions. I would say that I do fit into that category, I watched the first half of the first season to give it a fair chance but found myself taking comfort in STO's storyline as it represented a more recognisable Trek for me as well as something more faithful to the continuity.

    And you are right it's not fair to troll the devs, I disagree with their decision to go in this direction but disagreement shouldn't devolve into hate. And as I said I don't believe this will kill the game off and I don't plan on abandoning it, I will give every new mission that they make it's fair try. I was very fond of the Shran cameo in AoD so there was something in there for me.

    I will admit to the hope that the Discovery themed content is finite and like seasons past it's done and then moved on from. Though I would be lying if I said it didn't worry me that because this is a currently running series the game will stick with it from here on out.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,608 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    [...]
    I have done a few Random TFOs by now ,and I have yet to encounter a single Ground mission.
    I guess since the Random TFO system is first used to fill up queues where people are already waiting for more players, the chances of getting into a Ground TFO are slim - because very few are queing up for those in the first place, and there is always a Space TFO that needs to be filled.[...]

    You COULD use the RTFO system for filling your own ground TFO, simply by selecting it OUTSIDE of the RTFO system. If you really wanted to play ground, now would be the time to do it.

    That's what I do, I have seen a few ground queues pop up in my RTFO's but the population lean towards space does mean that it's very unlikely to happen spontaneously. But, entering into an RTFO yourself isn't how the system addresses the difficulty inherent in finding a game outside the current grinding meta. You queue for something yourself and the system brings players to you (personally haven't been able to repro the problems people have been having trying to find normal/advanced queues, though if you have to wait for more than a few minutes I'd re-enter.)


    nrobbiec wrote: »

    I will admit to the hope that the Discovery themed content is finite and like seasons past it's done and then moved on from. Though I would be lying if I said it didn't worry me that because this is a currently running series the game will stick with it from here on out.

    To me, this is like saying "I hope STO doesn't stick with DS9" when ViL was first announced. It's an integrated part of the source material and even outside of its themed update it's helped inform the characters, plot, and setting of the game.

    Along with everything else.

    A "divided state" in fandom is an artificial construction and I think the suggestion is self-serving to those who want to justify segregating interests in hopes of eventually excluding them (an irony lost to those purporting to preserve Trek's core themes and style in dismissing DSC.) That kind of surgery is a lot more difficult if you've accepted something as an integrated part of the franchise (see. suggesting that Cryptic should ignore TNG) and that is more or less the explicit text of your post there. I would suggest taking STO's DSC content at face value, accept it as a part of the franchise, let it be your vehicle to experiencing the DSC universe, and remember that very few of the specific reasons one can cite for not liking the show can't translate, aren't applicable, or even compliment the video game of STO (ex. state of war and conflict for complimentary, between episode pacing and specific character development for inapplicable.) What's left to object to in this retranslation of DSC are the visuals and with all things those are a matter of taste. They are also aren't going to become STO's main style and this shouldn't need much elaboration because the devs have gone out of their way in various formats to assure people that STO isn't going to become solely about Discovery (just as it's never been solely about any given series.)

    And IMO, if STO arbitrarily refused to apply its core ethos to the latest material, that would be FAR more limiting to its potential success and survival than the converse. We gain nothing through isolation.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Last missions:
    Evolution's Smile [SSF:3-3]
    Epoch, Part 2 [AEI]
    Transcendence, Part 4
    Memorial Tour

    For the latest Tardigrades and other creative output: @Gorgonops_SSF
    Looking for something new to play? The interactive Foundry Mission Database has you covered.
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 10,440 Arc User
    This is exactly what they promised it wouldn't be... all Disco all the time. Not even a mention of the coming 40th anniversary of TMP (1979-2019). Classic Trek is dead here. We can't even play the old Classic Trek content anymore because they've stripped most of it out of the game to make it TRIBBLE-compliant.

    I've barely played since they announced AoSTD, and I have not logged in once since it launched. It looks like I'll not be doing so until winter event, unless they slime that with TRIBBLE oozings as well. I guess I'll be logging off again after that until summer and Risa, again on the same condition they not Disco that up too.

    RIP to STO, 2010-2018. It's STDO now. The only thing they haven't done yet is change the name. But the writing is now clearly on the wall.

    Does anyone have a rollback server we could play?

    Not sure this makes sense as the game has never been TOS-centric nor has it ever had much in the way of TOS content.

    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 13,289 Arc User
    My only sore point in all this is that a T6 Nova class doesn't fit in with any of this.
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

  • nepsthennepsthen Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    shpoks wrote: »
    I must say, I find it somewhat amusing to see people that seemingly had no issues (at least not to the point of stopping to invest money or leaving STO) when the Jurrasic Park a.k.a. Dinosaurs with freakin' laz0rz on their heads season hit holodeck or didn't mind the aesthetics of tons of alien ships around ESD being utilized by Starfleet for some reason, not to mention officers dressed like Bozo the clown running around on missions, but a couple of Discovery themed episodes and we're suddenly jumping ship.

    Jurassic Park was the most fun for ground missions at the time when it was released. And it still continues to be for lack of development elsewhere.

    Something they could do is release a T6 Excalibur ship on the Fed side and a Koro't'inga on the Klingon side, blocking access to the ToS skins if they're going to push out more ship refits from the early era. I'm sure the T6 Nova is an eventual reality, considering we've gotten the T6 Miranda and Vestas, along with the skin and parts issues on the T6 BoP fixed. What we'll likely see coming down the pipe next are another set of carrier ships. The KDF still does not have any T6 upgrades of their two, and the holiday ship usually ties in with a release. The Romulans don't have any at all, and the Dominion got theirs on release.
    DxDiag64 dump 19Feb2016: http://pastebin.com/1c0pkEuw
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 3,091 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Would be good if it wasn’t for the poorly designed new UI’s we keep getting and new queue system that makes it far harder to get into many queues[...][

    Uhm. Totally not what is happening. Random TFO's have made many TFO's available that originally you had to wait for hours before playing.
    That is what is happening. While some TFO's that used to take hours are now playable there are now many that used to be playable but now takes hours or do not pop at all. Plus with the pick and play the queue you want many that used to pop fast are now massively slower to pop.

    I did not say all queues are harder to get into. I said many are harder and that is true many are worse off. Most of the ones I tried took 5 to 15mins or just did not pop at all after hours.
  • tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Can we get some Quality of Life Improvements for the UI?
    • Single Click to fill in the Reputation. Auto fill in all Rep Marks, EC, EXP in one shot
    • Single Click to fill in Admiralty missions (Like DOFF missions)
    • Fully expand list of Fleet Projects. (no longer requiring expanding each project individually)
    • Unified and sortable DOFF Assignments and auto purchase of required replicator items
    Between those four things, that would save player 5-15 minutes per character Considering that I am running 8 mains that like 40 mins to 2hr a day to play a gloried fill in the bank and not play the main missions.

    Oh and one more thing listening to the Ten Forward Stream by ambassadorkael about how hard it is adding a new skin to the UI, maybe as part of the fixes the whole UI can be streamlined and (and I know I will get flack for this) combine the Xbox and PS UI with the PC UI or do what WoW did and add in a option to allow players to build their own addons.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,178 Arc User
    I don't get all the hate for the Discovery content released so far in STO.

    A new tutorial for potential new players and current players who like TRIBBLE to start out a character in the Discovery era. While the tutorial is a rehash of the Fed tutorial, the content itself is decent enough.

    The Discovery era ships all look nice to me, as do the limited ground items we have. The visual and sound effects are nice too, though I wish the warp sounds would be Discovery era characters only. (yes, I know this is a known bug) The uniform could stand to better represent what we see on screen, an actual WHITE color instead of a dingy off-white would be great.

    The new queue is decent enough, especially considering it has to be balanced for the potential of having nothing but low level characters running it.

    The 2 Discovery era missions do a decent job of living up to the era, without having to put up with having been written by the same people making the show. So on that fact alone, the content seems to gel better with the overall feel we have in STO already.

    Discovery content in STO is not Discovery on CBS AA. Yes, we will have tie ins, but the story being told in STO will not be the exact story seen in Discovery. It'll be like seeing the story of the USS Melbourne prior to its destruction at Wolf 359. Set in the same time period as The Next Generation, but with a different crew and as a result, different stories to tell. And likely different personalities meaning there could be tension where we didn't see much on the Enterprise.

    The Next Generation and DS9 were on at the same time. They had different looks to them, though of course some things remained the same. They tackled different themes, and even when they tackled similar ones, the DS9 crew did it in a different way than the Next Gen crew. And then along came Voyager and they did things differently than DS9, but somewhat similar to the Next Gen. And during all of this, special effects grew as did set and costume design.

    I personally am not a huge fan of TRIBBLE, but I don't hate it with every fiber of my being either. I accept it for what it is, a Star Trek show made in current times and with current visual effects. With set design and story themes (and consequentially the characters) that seem to correlate with the current events and design cues of the world we live in today. The story themes and acting are what I find the most jarring and unTrek-like, but I do understand partly why they went this direction.

    If Mr. Roddenberry had been born 50 years later and was able to pitch his idea of Star Trek to a studio and it was picked up, I have a feeling it'd be similar to what Discovery is doing now. The problem is, Mr. Roddenberry was not born 50 years later. Star Trek has been around for those 50+ years and we've gotten attached. However, things change and evolve, except fans it seems. We like what we like and anything that differs takes some of us a lot of time to come to terms with. If we ever do.

    So while I may not be a huge fan of Discovery, I am interested in seeing what the Devs put in the game that is Discovery themed. And if it turns out I don't care for it, I simply won't play it. There's plenty of other non-Discovery content to get me by.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

    Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 3,091 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    I don't get all the hate for the Discovery content released so far in STO.

    A new tutorial for potential new players and current players who like TRIBBLE to start out a character in the Discovery era. While the tutorial is a rehash of the Fed tutorial, the content itself is decent enough.

    The Discovery era ships all look nice to me, as do the limited ground items we have. The visual and sound effects are nice too, though I wish the warp sounds would be Discovery era characters only. (yes, I know this is a known bug) The uniform could stand to better represent what we see on screen, an actual WHITE color instead of a dingy off-white would be great.

    The new queue is decent enough, especially considering it has to be balanced for the potential of having nothing but low level characters running it.

    The 2 Discovery era missions do a decent job of living up to the era, without having to put up with having been written by the same people making the show. So on that fact alone, the content seems to gel better with the overall feel we have in STO already.

    Discovery content in STO is not Discovery on CBS AA. Yes, we will have tie ins, but the story being told in STO will not be the exact story seen in Discovery. It'll be like seeing the story of the USS Melbourne prior to its destruction at Wolf 359. Set in the same time period as The Next Generation, but with a different crew and as a result, different stories to tell. And likely different personalities meaning there could be tension where we didn't see much on the Enterprise.

    The Next Generation and DS9 were on at the same time. They had different looks to them, though of course some things remained the same. They tackled different themes, and even when they tackled similar ones, the DS9 crew did it in a different way than the Next Gen crew. And then along came Voyager and they did things differently than DS9, but somewhat similar to the Next Gen. And during all of this, special effects grew as did set and costume design.

    I personally am not a huge fan of TRIBBLE, but I don't hate it with every fiber of my being either. I accept it for what it is, a Star Trek show made in current times and with current visual effects. With set design and story themes (and consequentially the characters) that seem to correlate with the current events and design cues of the world we live in today. The story themes and acting are what I find the most jarring and unTrek-like, but I do understand partly why they went this direction.

    If Mr. Roddenberry had been born 50 years later and was able to pitch his idea of Star Trek to a studio and it was picked up, I have a feeling it'd be similar to what Discovery is doing now. The problem is, Mr. Roddenberry was not born 50 years later. Star Trek has been around for those 50+ years and we've gotten attached. However, things change and evolve, except fans it seems. We like what we like and anything that differs takes some of us a lot of time to come to terms with. If we ever do.

    So while I may not be a huge fan of Discovery, I am interested in seeing what the Devs put in the game that is Discovery themed. And if it turns out I don't care for it, I simply won't play it. There's plenty of other non-Discovery content to get me by.
    For me it’s not that its discovery themed that is the problem. It that they the content they removed was better than the content they added and the content added isn’t even working correctly.

    Even when it works I see the new queue as a downgrade over SB24 and the new queue bugs out a lot. The 2 Discovery era missions are broken I haven’t managed to complete them yet as they stop working within 5 minutes. If SB24 wasn't removed and the new missions worked I wouldn't feel as bad. But at the moment it feels like we are worse off after session then before it.

Sign In or Register to comment.