test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Young Kirk

marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
If theoretically Kirk showed up in discovery season 2 who would you want to play him?

Comments

• marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @azrael605 said:
    > > @marty123#3757 said:
    > > If theoretically Kirk showed up in discovery season 2 who would you want to play him?
    >
    > From Tilly's comments in the AoD tutorial at the time of the Battle of the Binary Stars he is still in the Academy, so if (very big if) he shows up then he would need to be a very yoing Kirk, younger than Pine in ST09. Even the new MacGyver Lucas Till is too old.

According to canon Kirk graduated in 2256 the same year as Tilly and by 2257 he was Helsman on the Farragut
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @azrael605 said:
    > > @marty123#3757 said:
    > > > @azrael605 said:
    > > > > @marty123#3757 said:
    > > > > If theoretically Kirk showed up in discovery season 2 who would you want to play him?
    > > >
    > > > From Tilly's comments in the AoD tutorial at the time of the Battle of the Binary Stars he is still in the Academy, so if (very big if) he shows up then he would need to be a very yoing Kirk, younger than Pine in ST09. Even the new MacGyver Lucas Till is too old.
    > >
    > > According to canon Kirk graduated in 2256 the same year as Tilly and by 2257 he was Helsman on the Farragut
    >
    > Tilly didn't graduate until the end of season 1.

She was on her training cruise
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    hm, given all the other 'appearance works' on Discovery....

Elliot Fletcher.elliot_fletcher.jpg

That way, they can be 'Edgier than edgy' (not to mention, casting a Trans man as a MAN makes a lot more progress than pigeonholing someone based on their medical conditions into a role.)

Well, as a trans woman, I'd have no problem with a trans people playing an iconic character.

Anyhow, we gotta remember, young Lt. Kirk was described as "a stack of books on legs", and his lectures would be interesting, since in Lt. Kirk's classes, you either think, or sink.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    He'd probably need prosthetics to cover the plugs; the upper piercing might be problematic, at least if his earholes close up as fast as my wife's do (she has a similar piercing, and whenever she has to remove that upper ring for cleaning, the hole has to be repunched before the ring can be put back in).

The acting really is the important part, though. Fun part is that he might not even have to shave, because it could be explained away as Kirk trying to look older than he was (pretty big jump, after all, going from the Academy to the bridge of a Connie!).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Young Kirk could be a series of its own. From Graduation to his return to teach at the Academy would eat up a season or two, and from there to the Change of Command on the Enterprise would eat up three or more seasons. With lots of green alien women, (and gender indeterminate aliens, and heck, he was even accused of having a thing with Spock.) It would give a new meaning to "To Boldly Go!"

As for the actor, I don't see enough new material to judge who would suit the role best. The actor in the picture is fine, I guess, but to be Kirk you need to be able to overact and ham up a scene. Plus rip your shirt and roll around like Tim Allen.

As for the gender assignment thing: I don't get why people care. It's none of my business which set of organs an actor has or doesn't. The only question should be if the actor can play the role. I've seen far too many actors lately who play the same character no matter which movie they're in, (Tom Cruise.) I'd much rather see a transgendered person who can act play Kirk than a young Bill Shatner lookalike who can't emote.