test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pressing Shift key causes PWI Overlay to pop up, instead of Shift+F1

This is a bug/glitch that doesn't show up all the time, but when it does it's more than distracting. When I use the Shift key, whether by itself or with another key (like Shift+r, or trying to capitalize letters for names and start of sentences) in game the PWI Overlay pops up.

Clicking Shift by itself, or along with other keys other than the F1, with an active PWI Overlay does not close the Overlay, which mean it's working as it's supposed to be at that time.

Luckily for space maps, I can still click on the Full Impulse/Slipstream button, no such luck for ground maps. The only way to get the character to run, I have to click the shift button to do so which brings up the overlay. Even when I get rid of the Overlay with clicking the Back to game (Shift+F1) button or using Shift+F1, the character continues running even after pressing 'r' or even clicking a direction key that normally stops autorun.

Would be nice to be able to disable the Overlay if and when it has this shift bug shows up.

I switched characters, but that didn't stop this bug from happening to the other character.

Comments

• arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    I have never heard of this PWI overlay. Where did you acquire it to begin with (and why) ?
    Okay, a poor attempt at humor. I am sure you actually meant the ARC overlay.

Easiest fix, don't launch the game using ARC, problem solved. If for some odd reason you actually want to launch using ARC, or actually use the overlay and just don't like it popping up when you didn't mean to, then go into your setting in ARC and change the overlay shortcut to some key combination that you are almost guaranteed to never hit, even accidentally, while playing. As the shift key will be used all the time in game, do not use shift-anything, change it to something like the tilde ` key or something.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    arionisa wrote: »
    I have never heard of this PWI overlay. Where did you acquire it to begin with (and why) ?
    Okay, a poor attempt at humor. I am sure you actually meant the ARC overlay.

Easiest fix, don't launch the game using ARC, problem solved. If for some odd reason you actually want to launch using ARC, or actually use the overlay and just don't like it popping up when you didn't mean to, then go into your setting in ARC and change the overlay shortcut to some key combination that you are almost guaranteed to never hit, even accidentally, while playing. As the shift key will be used all the time in game, do not use shift-anything, change it to something like the tilde ` key or something.

Considering that I can get bonus Zen when using Arc, I tend to only use the Steam version when I need Zen and my credit card's maxed. Arc pre-paid cards available where I live, so I have to use Steam Wallet cards instead when that happens.

I've tried changing the keybind before, but it ended up reseting to the Shift+F1. Probably from refreshing my browser history.

All the same I hope they can look into the problem. I know the Arc overlay is relatively new, so there's bound to be some kinks to work out yet.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Do what I do, create a shortcut to the game launcher and bypass Steam and Arc completely. If you plan on buying Zen, then launch with whichever is pertinent (Steam/Arc) but if you aren't planning on buying Zen then use your "new" direct launch.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png