Lots of shots of the new Discovery ship interiors

Comments

• irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    They also look 10-20 years more advanced than the Kelvin and 20-25 years less advanced than the Enterprise A.

That's what I'm sayin'! :)
    It does look like a precursor to the touchscreens on the Ent-A.

Yes. And even the physical controls on these bridges resemble the ones on the TUC Enterprise and the Kelvin.
    Kobayashi_Maru_scenario%252C_2258.jpg
    b921a9e33d831b75f6176b02b08ed6c1.jpg

The set designers and builders of DSC did a phenomenal job of making the sets look, both modern, and so they fit perfectly in the style from ENT to the Kelvin to TMP and beyond. It's a shame some people are fixated about wanting to make it look as cheap and tacky as TOS made the unspeakable decades between DSC and TWoK.​​

Here we go again.................................
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    valoreah wrote: »
    latest?cb=20121205194537

Hold that pose! ~grabs some envelopes and stamps~
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    Yeah, I am gonna need those to be an unlock available for all federation ships!
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @smokebailey said:
    > artan42 wrote: »
    >
    > rattler2 wrote: »
    >
    > artan42 wrote: »
    >
    > They also look 10-20 years more advanced than the Kelvin and 20-25 years less advanced than the Enterprise A.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That's what I'm sayin'! :)
    > It does look like a precursor to the touchscreens on the Ent-A.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yes. And even the physical controls on these bridges resemble the ones on the TUC Enterprise and the Kelvin.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The set designers and builders of DSC did a phenomenal job of making the sets look, both modern, and so they fit perfectly in the style from ENT to the Kelvin to TMP and beyond. It's a shame some people are fixated about wanting to make it look as cheap and tacky as TOS made the unspeakable decades between DSC and TWoK.​​
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Here we go again.................................

Yep Artan stating facts again.

In your own little world, perhaps.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator

You do have to admit though... the touchscreens do line up well with what will come "later on". There is nothing Post TNG about the design.

I know you like TOS, I'm not judging you on that. We wouldn't even HAVE any of this without TOS.
    Just pointing out the asthetic progression. From an artistic standpoint, they did a good job, and IMO if they could somehow put those touchscreens on TOS consoles, it would look frickin' amazing.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)

You do have to admit though... the touchscreens do line up well with what will come "later on". There is nothing Post TNG about the design.

I know you like TOS, I'm not judging you on that. We wouldn't even HAVE any of this without TOS.
    Just pointing out the asthetic progression. From an artistic standpoint, they did a good job, and IMO if they could somehow put those touchscreens on TOS consoles, it would look frickin' amazing.

TOS is fine as is, they even remastered it. And we never saw what was on some of the panels of the TOS bridge.

To me, TOS is fine as it is. ~shrugs~
    bzk74q9.jpg
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Gotta respect the original. For without it we wouldn't have everything we have today. For all its faults, TOS gave us a universe that wasn't grim/dark and wartorn.

While I wasn't a huge fan of the TOS Connie model... seeing the refit though was just... she looked amazing. And when they made a Connie for Discovery... IMO they hit all the good points of various iterations of the Connie. She's been updated for the 21st Century while still honoring her origins.

But going back to the classic model... I'd say gunmetal grey like every other ship we saw and glowing blue warp field grills... that alone might make her even better without changing the actual model. She's a good ship. Without her... we wouldn't have Discovery, Enterprise-D, Enterprise-E, NX-01 Enterprise, Voyager, Defiant... anything.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Its a fact, TOS looks nothing like TNG, VOY, DS9, ENT, etc. The classic visuals do not fit in with the later additions.

Tell someone who cares.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Gotta respect the original. For without it we wouldn't have everything we have today. For all its faults, TOS gave us a universe that wasn't grim/dark and wartorn.

While I wasn't a huge fan of the TOS Connie model... seeing the refit though was just... she looked amazing. And when they made a Connie for Discovery... IMO they hit all the good points of various iterations of the Connie. She's been updated for the 21st Century while still honoring her origins.

But going back to the classic model... I'd say gunmetal grey like every other ship we saw and glowing blue warp field grills... that alone might make her even better without changing the actual model. She's a good ship. Without her... we wouldn't have Discovery, Enterprise-D, Enterprise-E, NX-01 Enterprise, Voyager, Defiant... anything.

I prefer the smooth, creamy whitish color of the original. Don't care much for gun metal...makes it look like regular steel to me.
    TOS connie model is one of my fav designs. To me, less is more, and I really don't care for greebles and kibble, makes it more like Red Dwarf (which is supposed to be a clunker) or those ugly Star Wars designs. ~puts on a hard hat~
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User

TOS is fine as is, they even remastered it. And we never saw what was on some of the panels of the TOS bridge.

To me, TOS is fine as it is. ~shrugs~
    bzk74q9.jpg

^^ I love that picture! :smile:
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I don't actually mind the look of TOS. It's just it clearly stands apart in-universe. As soon as Star Trek got a budget in TMP it distanced itself from the TOS look and never looked back. From that point on, it's future and it's (retroactive) past were dominated by metallic greys and blue lights. That's not a matter of opinion, it's just what they did.

DSC is not TOS, it does not cover the TOS time period, that period is solely from 2265 (1312.4) to 2270 (7403.6). You be happy to like TOS and in return leave DSC to be DSC. A lot can change in a decade.

It was only 2 and a half years from the end of TAS to TMP and look at the overhaul that happened to the entier Federation and Klingon Empire. Not a single square centimetre of Epsilon IX, ESD, The Enterprise, Vulcan, or the Klingon ships resemble anything seen in TOS in the slightest. 2.5 years! A decade is more than enough time for Starfleet to to suffer from a massive hemorrhage of taste and empty their stockpiles of yellow and red all over their fleet.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I've found things to like in all of the Trek iterations. Due to not having All-Access I have not seen Disc, but if I could have, I'd have probably found something to like about it too.

Of course there are things not to like in all of the Trek iterations too. It's the nature of films and tv. Everyone is bound to have their favorites and all, but I liked them all, the ones that I was able to see, including the motion pictures.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Thank you, azrael :)
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    I really do look forward to adding that bridge option to my Walker-class ship on console, as I refuse to believe that they would deny me that.
    I'm not disrespecting TOS at all, I even called it classic. Point is though that design aesthetic was abandoned as soon as TMP started pre-production and it was abandoned by Gene's orders. It is now a visual outlier from all of the other Trek series and films, thats just how it is.

Do you live inside my head Azrael? pig-2.gif
    valoreah wrote: »
    b921a9e33d831b75f6176b02b08ed6c1.jpg[/url][/center]

^ Those remind me of this video.

[/quote]

I remember seeing that video before and I've always wanted to see some more ambitious scenes done with the same technique. I think things like the red doors could be muted a bit more to a similar shade to TWoK and the number of colours on the touchscreens could be reduced to three (I can see they were going for a direct translation of the jellybeans) or two but it really lifts the scene.
    Though I don't think any amount of rotoscoping could fix some of TOS' costume choices.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

I remember seeing that video before and I've always wanted to see some more ambitious scenes done with the same technique. I think things like the red doors could be muted a bit more to a similar shade to TWoK and the number of colours on the touchscreens could be reduced to three (I can see they were going for a direct translation of the jellybeans) or two but it really lifts the scene.
    Though I don't think any amount of rotoscoping could fix some of TOS' costume choices.​​

I think its a variation of what is seen in ST5/6 actually. That shield display looks just like the one from ST6.
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    So, they don't look like pre-TOS bridges would look

They do look like post-Enterprise to me though. As mentioned upthread, TOS is pretty much it's own thing stylistically in comparison to everything afterwards.
    edited October 2018
    Though I don't think any amount of rotoscoping could fix some of TOS' costume choices.

I think its a variation of what is seen in ST5/6 actually. That shield display looks just like the one from ST6.

It could well be. It's a bit difficult to judge much as the screens aren't really the focus of the edit.
    So, they don't look like pre-TOS bridges would look, but that's typical of Discovery.

The point has been made that it's the exact opposite. We've seen five full bridges of pre DSC ships and the DSC ships fit the styles established in those ships (The five being the NX-01, NX-02, USS Franklin, USS Kelvin, and USS Trainer) even if they don't match TOS, which they've no requirement to as no future ships resembled TOS either.

Edit: I suppose the Vengeance and KT Enterprise are also pre-TOS though exist exclusively in the KT. The Vengeance follows quite closely apart from the oppressive lighting but the KT Conni seems to follow the TOS one by looking like nothing else.​​

#TASforSTO

• centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    A very accurate and faithful recreation of on-screen bridges. Very nice. I look forward to seeing the Bridges of the other classes.

Edit: You know what could quite easily explain the differences between Connie bridges and the rest of the fleet during a TOS period (post-DSC) especially that dubious 2.5 years between TAS and TMP (still wondering where that figure came from as TMP doesn't have a specified year)? Them being overdue for their refits and/or technological leaps forward that tend to happen time to time throughout history.

Technological advancement is not a steady progress/straight line from one end to the other. There peaks, valleys, and plateaus where leaps forward are made, knowledge is lost, and stagnation occurs; respectively. Any history book that covers a few centuries of a continent will tell you that.

Lastly, please refrain from saying that "some fans" want it to look "cheap and tacky." It's just not true. I, at the very least, just want there to be more of a connection between the different series than a few names and a show title. Every other Trek is fine not connecting that much aesthetically to TOS because they stand 80-100 years apart from it. (The previous paragraph should cover the TMP films potential discrepancy, though there's not as much as people seem to think. Does no one remember how the Enterprise's consoles looked from TMP to Search? Still a whole lot of analog going on before the A made it's debut) DSC is >10 years apart from TOS now, but looks 80-100 years removed in the post-Nemesis direction.

No, I don't want DSC to start cutting production values or adding "jelly bean" buttons (God, I hate it when people use that term. Used to be an innocent enough little joke but now gets thrown around as an insult.) Keep the touchscreens, they're fine, but put a little more effort into making the aesthetics line up at a glance at the very least.
    Post edited by centurian821 on
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    courtesy of Reddit

Link to the full album
    https://imgur.com/a/PugYrsb
    S14gnXD.png
    8y6S7fq.png
    ybwmrIn.png
    IpfBPlV.png

Okay, having a bit of a blonde moment here. :) I recognized the first 2 pictures from when I visited my Spearhead bridge (on Tribble). The last 2 ones, though, with all the red, where are those from?!

2 separate bridges, things are looking bright. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.