test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Age of Discovery: Downfall

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
edited September 2018 in Galactic News Network [PC]
In "Downfall," the second episode of Age of Discovery, you'll be facing off as part of Earth's last line of Defense.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11005793

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Second Episode and we're already getting our rears handed to us? :O
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • benselassem#4731 benselassem Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    It's an incentive to get better...
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    Did not expect this to be the 2nd mission. Wondering what comes afterwards.

Also: Now that I see them clearly, I'm not liking those nacelles. Would it be possible to have a few TOS options for DSC ships in the Ship tailor? Even if it's just nacelles and the Type 0 material?
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User

Also: Now that I see them clearly, I'm not liking those nacelles. Would it be possible to have a few TOS options for DSC ships in the Ship tailor? Even if it's just nacelles and the Type 0 material?

The disco staff seems to hate TOS style engine pods, for some reason.
    The have a big fetish for rectangular features. :|
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Ok, so judging by "Discover New Adventures This Fall" and "Downfall", is the possible starter ship have customization that has the nacelles and struts being able to be in either near horizontal and the other diagonal, or does the ship have adjustable nacelles/struts like Intrepid-class starships (yet another anachronistic advancement)?

The first possibility (as it it's a choice in customization) is what I'd prefer. Definitely making this along the lines of the light cruiser.

There might have been issues as children dealing with fitting round pegs in round holes and square pegs in square holes.... ;)
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Second Episode and we're already getting our rears handed to us? :O

That fits with the theme of the show.

Just saying ;)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    In "Downfall," the second episode of Age of Discovery, you'll be facing off as part of Earth's last line of Defense.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11005793

I wonder if they managed to hire Bruno Ganz for this one, too. [/differentAssociationsWithDownfall]
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User

There might have been issues as children dealing with fitting round pegs in round holes and square pegs in square holes.... ;)

No child left behind, indeed........ >_>

Anyhow, the starter ship remind me of a Romulan bird of prey.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User

TOS nacelles (or something close to them) would look smashing with that design, though, even with that hull material.
  • woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    I wonder if the starter ship - Malachowski class - will have parts compatible with the Miranda/Centaur/Reliant-class group.

Also, can anyone recognise the damaged Federation ship in the background, left? Wonder if that's the same class as the USS Shran. It looks flat.
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    woerligen wrote: »
    I wonder if the starter ship - Malachowski class - will have parts compatible with the Miranda/Centaur/Reliant-class group.

Also, can anyone recognise the damaged Federation ship in the background, left? Wonder if that's the same class as the USS Shran. It looks flat.

Could be the Shran's class (Magee). Another contender I think (Engle class):
    latest?cb=20180923212136&path-prefix=en
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator

We see ships with different warp nacelle designs in various areas of Trek. Excelsior was different from Enterprise, Defiant, Enterprise-D, and Voyager were different from each other...

Hell... the Steamrunner's very different from many that came before her!

Gotta admit though, when we finally DID see round... they looked good.
    gallery-1518519821-starships.jpg
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)

I actually liked the blocky discontinuity, it paints the TOS era as something that was emerging onto the scene rather than being one long gradient from ENT. You can imagine the intervening time as being more eventful for Starfleet with detours and odd design choices a plenty. :)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    rattler2 wrote: »

We see ships with different warp nacelle designs in various areas of Trek. Excelsior was different from Enterprise, Defiant, Enterprise-D, and Voyager were different from each other...

Hell... the Steamrunner's very different from many that came before her!

Gotta admit though, when we finally DID see round... they looked good.
    gallery-1518519821-starships.jpg

Actually.... There's an obvious evolutionary connect, esp. as you place them side-by-side. From NX-1 to TOS Constitution-class to movie Constitution-refit to Excelsior-class to Ambassador-class to Galaxy Class to Intrepid-class.

Eventual change from the rounded nacelles (which fit in with the original concept that they were 'rockets' as the original pilot, the Cage, called them) to a more squared design.

The Defiant was a total departure of Star Fleet design philosophy, considering that the warp nacelles were integrated in the hull of the ship.
    edited September 2018

Actually.... There's an obvious evolutionary connect, esp. as you place them side-by-side. From NX-1 to TOS Constitution-class to movie Constitution-refit to Excelsior-class to Ambassador-class to Galaxy Class to Intrepid-class.

Eventual change from the rounded nacelles (which fit in with the original concept that they were 'rockets' as the original pilot, the Cage, called them) to a more squared design.

Well except for the refit Constituion, that jumped to square in one go to then double back to more rounding with the Excelsior. ;)

Plus the Sovereign featured more angular nacelles than the Galaxy. That then evolved into the fluidity of the Odyssey. Evolution typically doesn't follow long, straight lines except if an examiner narrows their focus to a very short time scale and clade or generalizes out the various detours, shifts, and other deviations from explanatory narrative. More so, it involves stepwise progression according to immediate circumstance (ie. making ships look cool and rational to the setting, in the moment) without anticipation (which makes the Ambassador stand out as rather artificial, as it intentionally blends past and future elements [already established] to fit between them. :tongue: )
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    One thing I dislike about the prequels (before TOS stuff) is that they seemingly place Earth in wars where it's besieged and humanity faces destruction or enslavement.

If that had actually happened, the Starfleet of TOS time would have been a lot more military focused and less space hippieish.

(And on a different tangent, if you read the old, very old original Star Trek comic book, in some issues the nacelles were actually rockets, shooting out flame.)
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    I'll just bring a Dominion War era Sovereign class to the historical simulations
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • xungnguyenxungnguyen Member Posts: 233 Arc User
      I'll bring my Paradox into those missions. Let's see how long those Klingons last.
      temporal_lapras__royal_flagship__by_lapry101-dbutq96.png

"Simba, you have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are … you are my son and the one true king." (Mufasa)
    • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited September 2018
      discojer wrote: »
      One thing I dislike about the prequels (before TOS stuff) is that they seemingly place Earth in wars where it's besieged and humanity faces destruction or enslavement.

If that had actually happened, the Starfleet of TOS time would have been a lot more military focused and less space hippieish.

(And on a different tangent, if you read the old, very old original Star Trek comic book, in some issues the nacelles were actually rockets, shooting out flame.)

You're confusing TOS with TNG, I'm afraid: the TOS Starfleet very much was a military organization (with the caveat that it drew its more of its literary lineage from the age of sail, rather than the modern world). It was Jim Kirk in "Errand of Mercy" who dropped the line, "I'm not a diplomat, I'm a soldier," and he comported himself accordingly as a military officer. It's only in TNG, and then mostly only from Picard's personal opinion, that we get the nonsense about Starfleet not being the Federation's military.

You can blame a lot of the confusion on Roddenberry both getting old and losing the moderating effect of having people around him who had the guts and clout to tell him when he was being an idiot.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      I'll just bring a Dominion War era Sovereign class to the historical simulations
      No Flambard warbird? :p
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
      No Flambard warbird? :p

I don't own one :(
      Or should I be evil and bring my canon DS9 Defiant (complete with battle cloak)?
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
        *sigh* I think people will be disapointed when they realize that "historical simulation" means "take a place of 23c ships" and not "bring 25c ship into a battle with early to mid 23c ships" as in the ships won't be anymore weaker relative to end game ships then the 2410 ships we encounter are.
      • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
        great...just what i don't want to have to deal with - MORE missions that put me in cryptic's TRIBBLE prefab ships that will end up unslotting all my traits on my REAL ships when i go back to them​​
        Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
        An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
        A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
        A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
        "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
        Passion and Serenity are one.
        I gain power by understanding both.
        In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
        I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
        The Force is united within me.
      • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
        spiritborn wrote: »
        *sigh* I think people will be disapointed when they realize that "historical simulation" means "take a place of 23c ships" and not "bring 25c ship into a battle with early to mid 23c ships" as in the ships won't be anymore weaker relative to end game ships then the 2410 ships we encounter are.
        well at best we'll get a holographic disguise to make our ship look like something old. : Either way I'd rather use my ship fighting simulated 23c ships than a prefab.
        -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        My character Tsin'xing
        Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
      • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
        Latest Tribble Patch Notes indicate that equipment on prefab ships ('Doomsday Device') will scale with the Player's Level.
        'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
        Judge Dan Haywood
        'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
        l don't know.
        l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
        That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
        Lt. Philip J. Minns
      • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
        you know what would make it more tolerable? cryptic learning how to build a f*cking ship - and no, adding godmode abilities is not building​​
        Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
        An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
        A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
        A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
        "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
        Passion and Serenity are one.
        I gain power by understanding both.
        In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
        I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
        The Force is united within me.